It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police violate mans rights, use ignorance of the law as an excuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If I had a nickle for every time I heard "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I guess it is if you're a cop.

The City of Colorado Springs has paid $23,500 to a man mistakenly arrested for carrying an open weapon.

Paid by the same taxpayers who pay the cops salaries and pensions mind you.

The four sergeants and three officers involved were unaware that it's legal to open carry in city parks and has been since gun laws changed statewide in 2003.

Count them, that's seven cops who don't know what the hell they're doing.

Police blamed the error on the criminal manual or "cheat sheet" that officers carry that, at the time, indicated that it was still illegal in Colorado Springs to open carry in a city park.

Oh, snap. They didnt know it wasnt a crime? Is this a trained response, err on the side of "if I don't know it must be illegal!" ?

Catch the date of the law change? 2003. In 10 years nobody bothered to update or train these cops.

And when all is said and done:

Defendants expressly deny any wrongdoing of any kind whatsoever in its actions and dealings with Plaintiff."

Of course. They're never wrong. Never ever ever. Caught on camera, admit they havent had training in a decade, pay out a settlement and still they did nothing wrong. Just perfect little angles they are.

Link to story

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

From what I understand, the victims in these cases need to sue the police personally in civil court.

If we start to bankrupt these officers, they'll think twice before moving against a citizen.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

In 10 years nobody bothered to update or train these cops.

I thought the same. No wonder these things happen. Most jobs require a person to stay up to date as part of the job. I would think that is especially true for police, give the line of work.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You'd think it'd be a no-brainer.

Just about every professional in every field has to take refreshers or maintain "learning credits" periodically.

Maybe cops dont?

Or, based on my EMT experience, the refreshers and further training sessions are largely mocked and ignored or used as an excuse to get a day off with pay hanging out with co-workers.

Amazing cops arent going around enforcing Jim Crow. At least they're up to date with the century.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
They no longer hire cops to use their brains...... Seriously, if you do to well on an IQ test you won't get the job. They do not want smart people to be cops as smart people make judgment calls.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I'm surprised that all seven LEO's didn't open fire all at once, given the recent rise of cops with itchy trigger fingers. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Cool, so I will print this out & carry it around with me while performing questionable activities and if I get caught I can state "I honestly didn't know." and they'll say "Hey no problem, just don't let it happen again."

This is great news!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

Totally. It's not your fault nobody told you over the span of 10 years that something was or was not a crime.

Just say you were working off an outdated cheat sheet. The cops will understand.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

i think thats why the settlement had a gag order to keep him from spreading the word about this in more accurate terms and to try to keep it quiet that this guy was in fact right and the cops were wrong too bad he settled this would have set a nice precedent

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
If I had a nickle for every time I heard "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I guess it is if you're a cop.

The City of Colorado Springs has paid $23,500 to a man mistakenly arrested for carrying an open weapon.

Paid by the same taxpayers who pay the cops salaries and pensions mind you.

The four sergeants and three officers involved were unaware that it's legal to open carry in city parks and has been since gun laws changed statewide in 2003.

Count them, that's seven cops who don't know what the hell they're doing.

Police blamed the error on the criminal manual or "cheat sheet" that officers carry that, at the time, indicated that it was still illegal in Colorado Springs to open carry in a city park.

Oh, snap. They didnt know it wasnt a crime? Is this a trained response, err on the side of "if I don't know it must be illegal!" ?

Catch the date of the law change? 2003. In 10 years nobody bothered to update or train these cops.

And when all is said and done:

Defendants expressly deny any wrongdoing of any kind whatsoever in its actions and dealings with Plaintiff."

Of course. They're never wrong. Never ever ever. Caught on camera, admit they havent had training in a decade, pay out a settlement and still they did nothing wrong. Just perfect little angles they are.

Link to story

Angles here . . is the right word. Obtuse angles, the lot of them !

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

S&F
If only there were a school that people could go to, and learn the laws of their land.
Maybe a multiple week or even months long training where they could hone their skills in police work.
Then maybe some memos and periodic training on many things that have to do with their job...
I know my plumber card came at much expense of time and money to boot!
If I was bad at my job, I would have been fired and out money.
So I learned my craft and took it serious.
Bad cops, no donut!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

gladtobehere

From what I understand, the victims in these cases need to sue the police personally in civil court.

If we start to bankrupt these officers, they'll think twice before moving against a citizen.

I believe pigs are immune to civil lawsuits.

Look up : "Qualified Immunity".

Another reason I hate cops......
edit on 20-12-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join