It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
He's saying that homosexuality, beastiality, sleeping around, etc ARE SINS, not that they are all identical in his mind. The media are being their usual sensationalistic assholes here. They just as easily could have printed the story: "Phil Robertson compares homosexuality to a man having sex with lots of women" but that wouldn't have pissed off the liberals and pissing off the redneck nation doesn't carry nearly the same weight.

I'm going to moderately disagree here…

Looking at what he said…
"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,"

His rather clear implication is that he lumps bestiality with sexual behavior with which he disagrees, based on his moral world-view. He didn't mention any other "sin" mixed in there -- he made sure to lump bestiality in with homosexuality and sleeping around.

Now…

Does he have a right to say it? Most certainly.

Does he have a right to believe it? Without doubt.

Do people have a right to be offended? Absolutely.

Should we care? No.

Was it an attention ploy? Maybe.

Will it trow fuel on the divisive fire ripping through society? You better believe it.

Are some capitalizing on that fire? Yes, and fanning it with great abandon… Gentleman's Quarterly first in line on this one.

The more important question here, how have "we" allowed reality crap to dominate broadcast entertainment?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am from Louisiana born and raised down here, just outside of New Orleans. I love Duck Dynasty, I loved it more in the beginning before it was so obviously edited, and mass produced but still I do enjoy it. I don't even believe in god, but I do enjoy the part of the show where they are praying, it just seems the most REAL part of the show to me. I saw where they A&E tried to stop them from praying or at least saying Jesus name in their prayers as far as I know that was unsuccessful, I'm sure I've heard Jesus in at least one of the last episodes of the show I have watched!

I don't know ay of them personally but I love them all, just because they seem so real to me. I have never been hunting, I have never even shot a gun before.....

Having said that, I think all this PC Bull crap is just that BULL CRAP!!! I really don't care what your opinion of gay people is, I don't care if you are gay..... it is not something that comes up everyday! I have a cousin who is gay, and I'm pretty sure a neighbor who is still in the closet but I don't care. I talk to him and my cousin just like the people they are, they don't flaunt it in my face so I don't care. I think PC is ruining this once great country you cant say anything anymore without the fear of offending someone!! I'm not sure when America became a bunch of pu**ies ......but it is getting ridiculous now. The man was just expressing his opinion and guess what opinions are like ......... everyone has one!!

I guess everyone needs some of Phil's good ole advice just be Happy ..Happy ..Happy!! Stop trying to feign disgust over what someone says! He didn't say we should beat all gays unconscious did he?? He just said he thought it was wrong, well in America he has the right to not only have that opinion but to EXPRESS it also!

I don;t think Phil cares much that he has been suspended, and I'm sure when A&E comes crawling back he'll say he's just Happy, Happy, Happy just sitting by!!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
What in whatever deities name you pray to is so complicated about this?

What did he say, specifically, that's offensive?

I see nothing. I see a man of conviction, that I disagree with on almost every level, give an opinion of what he thought wasn't alright.

He's entitled to that. He certainly shouldn't loose his job because it makes OTHER people uncomfortable. How the hell is that his problem?

~Tenth

Excellent Post! You may not agree with someone, but they shouldn't be silenced.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
He doesn't need A&E's money. He was self made LONG before they came courting. If I understand correctly A&E wanted to cut the "praying" out of the show and neither Phil nor any of the other cast was willing to do that for "the money" either.

He expressed views which should not come as a shock to anyone who knows anything about this family and their belief system. My money says A&E knew his views and just hoped he would change them or shut up to keep the money train right on track. He didn't and he shouldn't be expected to.

You can agree or disagree with what he said but let's not act shocked that he said it. I doubt A&E will follow through completely with this since they are making money hand over fist. If they do somehow manage to hold to it, I don't expect the Robertson's to accept another season contract. They will follow their father if it comes down to it.

People can agree or disagree with his opinions, but he has a right to them as we all do. A&E should not have suspended him for expressing what they already knew. They were fine with it when the money was good and he didn't draw attention to it. If they were REALLY that offended then they should have been too offended to sign them up for a second season in the first place.
edit on 12/18/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
He thinks sticking things into anuses is weird.

So do I.

That doesn't make me homophobic.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I don't like how Phil Tells them to bow there heads before he prays, nobody has the right to enforce there religious beliefs onto anyone.

Now Phil's speech was offensive but he should have the right to express his beliefs, but he doesn't. A&E has more rights than the people, talk about indoctrination. So why do corporations have more right's than us?

Wasn't equating homosexuality and sin politically correct a decade ago?

edit on 18-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

What, are you some kind of homophobe?

He certainly shouldn't loose his job because it makes OTHER people uncomfortable.

Tend to agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was contractually obligated to avoid certain topics. Didn't they make Cindy Crawford sign something where she wasn't allowed in public without makeup? I'm sticking this sentence in because I want to admonish people that didn't get the homophobe thing or read the whole post. I know Tenth is a man and married to a man (and I applaud his happiness). So if he was contractually obligated to not voice his opinion on this sort of thing, I get it. I think it was rather tactless and unfortunate A&E decided to give him the ol' banhammer, but as someone else put it (Kali who I love and hate but always respect), he has the right to say what he wants and they have the right to not allow him on the show. Even if there was no contract, I think they are allowed to do what they want in this situation. I don't like the guy's views, but I don't want them punished. It's not quite hypocrisy, but I can't think up a better word.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The land of the free.. Yea right

Where
Nappy headed how's, gets you fired from radio and hatemongering antisemite Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who called New York "Hymie town" are paraded as political correct

Woman showing breast for split second at Superbowl, so fast it didn't have time to register until media threw it into everyone's face gets Jackson and Justin admonished and FCC fining and going nuts

Where after 9/11 over 100 songs were banned from radio and television and Walmart removed many albums from sale.

This isn't land of the free

This is a propaganda nanny state ran by political correct movement set to redefine the English language so it dumbs people down. Just as new editions of the NewSpeak dictionaries were made yearly to redefine words in the George Orwell novel 1984.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Free thought is no longer allowed. Everything is being shaped and decided for us through the media. Fights are scripted on TV and in real life. Homosexuality is merely a tool for the elite whether it is natural or otherwise. The elite do not care about homosexuals even if they indulge themselves. They use homosexuality as a tool for blackmail; it is being used to attack religion, free speech, family structure, and even now as an issue of foreign relations and the list goes on.

Simultaneously developed nations have been hit with an economic crisis, immigration issues, terrorism, resource scarcity, and now homosexuality/gay marriage. The NWO are attacking on all fronts to cause a divided and enraged people. Civil unrest may follow. Countries are going to become increasingly isolationist and defensive. These countries will then become more authoritarian. The final war will commence. Only after a third world war where everyone is weary of all of the divisive issues will people beg for a one world government. This has been the plan all along. This has been what they have written about the past decades and centuries. This is what the elite think they can make happen so those that remain can give them the keys to the kingdom.

We cannot force people into loving and accepting each other. The less power we give to these corporations and governments the stronger we become by being self sufficient free thinking people. We have become weak and turn to them to dictate what we can say and do now. We allow families to be weakened and community to become nonexistent. Now we are all strangers and no one feels like they belong. There is nothing to form social cohesion. There is no cultural identity to be expressed. Anything that represents old American ideals is to be suppressed.

AE doesn’t give a crap about this guy or his family, your family or mine, gay or straight. All they care about is money and perpetuating an agenda involving demoralizing and dumbing down the country. If we are at each other’s throats talking about their nonsense they win. The only way for us to win is not to play along.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

What, are you some kind of homophobe?

Yes.

In all seriousness though, your'e right, if there is contractual obligation and they can can his ass, and he agreed to it, then there's nothing left to say.

Having freedom of speech isn't something you can claim when you've signed it away it seems.

~Tenth

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I quite like the show, and I like Phil. I don't agree with him about everything, but he's a good guy. I don't mind one bit if his religion thinks me being queer is a choice and wrong. I don't mind at all that he said so -- I'm glad he did. I like people who speak honestly about what they believe without implying force, physical or political, should be used against others. He didn't call for anything that would hurt anybody. He also thinks sex outside of marriage is a sin. Almost nobody having sex outside of marriage cares that people think they're sinning because they don't think they are. They don't believe in that so it's meaningless to them. Very few queer people care about this in the same way.

I think the network is totally wrong to bench him. Most LGBTQIIETC people I know cringe when this kind of thing happens because we really don't care and we know folks will assume we do. But "I don't care" isn't really a sign anybody marches under. We just get on with our lives. And keep on filling up the DVR with DD reruns. Like I thought maybe Phil would have a high opinion of anything about me. I tell you one thing, he'd treat me with kindness if he found me lying by the side of the road regardless of how gay I somehow manage to seem even when unconscious, and I'm sure of that. I am completely sure of that. What more can be asked of anyone?

Phil is a good guy. He wants everyone to live a happy life and go to Heaven. I don't believe in his religion, but I honestly think it's nice that he cares. And he wants people to be thoughtful and responsible when they have sex and relationships. I agree with that even if we dispute the terms.

I just explained this to my partner, also a fan, and when I said the network put Phil on ice just for these remarks, he said "Are you SERIOUS?!" Honestly, the "gay community" seems to be like fifty people who just spend their time making life stupider for the bazillions of us who are way more concerned about other things.
edit on 19-12-2013 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

edit on 19-12-2013 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The only thing he's a victim of is his own stupid inbred mouth.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I love you. Really. That was an awesome post deserving of applause IMO.

I think all of us could stand to be a little less offended by a lot of things truthfully. I am not sure why anybody thinks they can get out of this life without anyone ever disliking them, disagreeing with their religion, their politics, the way they raise their kids, etc. I don't recall people being so offended so often even 20 years ago. I think a lot of folks have been lied to and told that nobody should ever disagree with them and they should win at everything they do. It's a little scary to see that so many have bought into it.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

NotTooHappy
The only thing he's a victim of is his own stupid inbred mouth.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

I see, you failed that one quite nicely.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

I see you failed that one as well.

Shall we try for three strikes your out?

“Don't judge a man by his opinions, but what his opinions have made of him.”
― Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Strike three!..

Stero-typical response from someone who is on a board that is based on "Deny Ignorance". Instead you do us all a dis-service by propagating that exact ignorance we strive to leave behind.

Shame on you.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Not watching the show anymore without Phil. Hes one of my favorite characters. They ruined the show. Saw the same thing with Ender's Game. The director made an anti-gay statement in the past turned into a cryfest when he put that movie up on IMDB. Movie still did well but where in the heck do people get off attacking someone based on freedom of speech?

We didn't have a gay holocaust or a gay slavery. So the N word or talking bad about Jews just doesn't hold the same weight. I turn on comedy central every night and there is a black comedian saying something bad about "white people". Do they fire him? Hell no! Someones seriously butt hurt and needs to get a grip. Pun intended.

edit on 19-12-2013 by Pimpintology because: of his early childhood vaccinations!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It's a reality show, they do this kind of thing all the time to get better ratings.
The fact is his opinions are pretty unacceptable these days, most people realise that God doesnt care who loves who, as long as they love, not hate.
So many christinas are going to get such a wake up call, when they find themselves dead and heading in the wrong direction. lol

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Since when is stating an opinion wrong? If the opinion was in favor it would have been acceptable?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hey, look here.

GQ likely went into this interview looking to trip him up in some way. They reckoned his faith so strong, they could lure something out of him offensive enough to piss somebody off. He is not "polished" like Willie.

And, hey, when they opened up their lives to the world, they started dancing with the devil himself. Eventually, something like this was going to happen.

DD appears to have passed the peak of their bell curve.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I love this post...thank you!

FYI Update: I have a friend in LA who is a producer...she told me that Phil really wasn't all that "happy" and yes,I'll only say it in me the quote is his,about the way the show was going overall.

He's concerned for the " Hollywoodification" of his beautiful grand kids and daughter in laws and that he had considered bowing out if the show didn't let him say and be just who he is...he doesn't really like where it's taken his family and he's really not about the money...not a bit.

Makes you wonder if he truly doesn't even really want to play the game anymore

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

tothetenthpower
What in whatever deities name you pray to is so complicated about this?

I see nothing. I see a man of conviction, that I disagree with on almost every level, give an opinion of what he thought wasn't alright.

That's what this is about. Squelching conviction expressed in public that don't go along with the PC flow of the day.

He tossed in drunks and the greedy and you don't hear drunks getting all worked up about it. We will certainly not hear anyone defend greed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join