It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

And how about when people use "homosexual" and "gay" in a derogatory manner? And compare them to people who have sex with animals.? Gay people suffer and have suffered with their lives because of the people who share the views of Phil Robertson.

Yea the closets got to have somebody in it. One steps out and now somebody must be shoved back in.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I personally think this is a big publicity scam though. This guy said blacks were happier under jim crow segregation. Is it really that shocking some southern baptist guy who seems to be ok with racial segregation might be a homophobe too?

A&E will make amends with him in a few weeks and the ratings will be even higher. Yea, that kind of a scam.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: forgot an article

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Your comments are sketchy at best. I am gay, and offended by this rednecks comments...HOWEVER, he has the right to his own opinion. To each his own. "Judge not lest you be judged" The Bible. "That"s all I have to say about that" Forest Gump

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

IMO, every cause and effect in our society is about money. No doubt, the network is "punishing" him and no doubt he is going along with it. To save the show and therefore, his money.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

ChesterJohn
Where does it stop?

If you can be punished for your opinion what next?

I don't like his hair, can him!

People have gotten canned for that. Women get canned for gaining weight in certain jobs all the time. you guys are generally for right-to-work states. Well here you go: In a right to work state you can get fired for any reason an employers feels like. I thought you guys were for that? What are you not when it's someone you like?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

bbracken677

MOMof3
reply to post by JackSparrow17

IMO, these people are entertainers so their political statements and moral judgements matter and should be criticized.

What?
Entertainer's political statements and moral judgements matter?

I tend to find that entertainer's political statements and moral judgements tend to the side of ignorance and they should just be ignored.

On the other hand, there are way too many people in America who consider themselves enlightened and progressive who are soo freaking ignorant it hurts. These are the people who listen to entertainers....as though entertainers have a clue: they have not been living in the "real world" for years.

Yes and for Petes sake! How many times do you see entertainers paraded out for endorsement on any number of issues? We know full well that any entertainer that supported GL would never be in danger of jeopardizing any sort of contract they had with a studio or production company.
edit on 19-12-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

antonia
I personally think this is a big publicity scam though.

I agree. Gay bashing IS getting more attention than it ever has because we're coming to the pinnacle of the "fight" for equal rights. More and more, we're hearing about states voting FOR marriage equality and any controversy around homosexuality gets a lot of attention. I wouldn't have thought this show needed more attention, but I think that's what's going on.
edit on 12/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

MOMof3
First of all, I don't understand this generation's fascination with reality shows, especially this one. I always wanted entertainment from reality. Second, I was raised in Big Creek, Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. Do you guys know that most of the REAL hillbillys and swamp people have no idea there is indoor plumbing, a state called Idaho, and the earth revolves around the Sun? So these people are just entertainers and it is not a reality show.

I think in order to be a "real hillbilly" you need to be from the Appalachias. Some of the most brilliant minds I have ever met, weren't from New York, they are from the Appalachias. You know, where the south was born. Where blues music, rock(rockabilly), fried chicken, mothers day, first brick streets, and many, many other 'first things' came from. Not too bad for a bunch of people who "have no idea that the earth revolves around the sun", even though we have some of the most sophisticated space exploration tech than anybody, huh? You have any idea how many people at NASA are from the Appalachia's? Also, we had indoor plumbing sooner than a lot of other people.

I just don't get the ignorance and hate that a lot of people have towards people of the Appalachias, and again, I also don't understand how anyone in Idaho or La. can be a "hillbilly". When/if the world stops, we'll see who makes it and who starves to death.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I don't like the show but he was my favorite character. Once again the media takes a quote out of context & points fingers. A&E is afraid they'll lose advertisers which translates into losing $$ so like every Biz in America they do what they can to keep the majority happy & controversy free.

This isn't a free speech issue, this is a stupidy issue (the stupid belonging to the MSM, not Phil).
edit on 19-12-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I hear about it all the time, but I have never watched it all the way through. I personally don't understand the appeal. The snippets I have seen just seem to be of idiots with unintelligible english.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: forgot a pronoun

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think as this issue is developing more and seeing reactions more across the nation? My stand is hardening more as well. If A&E would like to kick Phil for voicing an opinion in context to a personal interview where it was being solicited? Then I'm more than happy to terminate my viewing of A&E.

I don't say they don't have the right to cut him. They do. If they can sustain the backlash, more power to them and Hoorah for the free market in action. If they can't, as I suspect they won't handle well? They have it coming for putting their political views above that of running a network for the audiences that want to view the shows.

These guys are the same ones that bounced Dog and that hurt them too. Another P.C. move. Duck Dynasty was a reason to watch them after that....but no more if this is the way they choose to run their network.

As far as Dog piling Phil over this? Hey, The American Nazi Party had the absolute right to march right down Main Street of Skokie Illinois, in what came to be a landmark case defining free speech against public outrage for where that bias MUST fall. To the Speech ...not comforting the outrage.

I don't agree with Phil's opinion, but I'll dump A&E from my television for his right to speak it.

edit on 19-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Ain't it funny that the tolerance crowd are actually the most intolerable of all? Wielding what offends them as a sword to slay their foes and stifle those who simply disagree with them.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

antonia

ChesterJohn
Where does it stop?

If you can be punished for your opinion what next?

I don't like his hair, can him!

People have gotten canned for that. Women get canned for gaining weight in certain jobs all the time. you guys are generally for right-to-work states. Well here you go: In a right to work state you can get fired for any reason an employers feels like. I thought you guys were for that? What are you not when it's someone you like?

Not for any reason covered in "race, creed, sexual orientation, religion ect"

It is far easier to fire someone these days for outspoken views negative to the current flow of the PC homoheroic celebration of diversity.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

As far as Dog piling Phil over this? Hey, American Nazi Party had the absolute right to march right down Main Street of Skokie Illinois, in what came to be a landmark case defining free speech against public outrage for where that bias MUST fall. To the Speech ...not comforting the outrage.

Uh no

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

The first amendment protects you from government intrusion, not from A&E firing you if they don't like what falls out of your mouth. Not in any way a free speech issue.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

antonia
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I hear about it all the time, but I have never watched it all the way through. I personally don't understand the appeal. The snippets I have seen just seem to be of idiots with unintelligible english.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: forgot a pronoun

That's really a big point here, I believe. This wasn't like Dr Phil coming out with a comment like this. It was Duck Dynasty Phil. People likely to be offended by the mere opinion weren't likely to have been fans of the show anyway. They'd have been VERY offended ...long before this.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The first amendment protects you from government intrusion, not from A&E firing you if they don't like what falls out of your mouth. Not in any way a free speech issue.

You did clearly read where I said they had the right to do this, correct? See above if you'd overlooked it as I do feel they have every right......and I have every right to say it cost them any viewership in my household.

The free market, and how it's supposed to work.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Logarock

Not for any reason covered in "race, creed, sexual orientation, religion ect"

It is far easier to fire someone these days for outspoken views negative to the current flow of the PC homoheroic celebration of diversity.

Oh really? Sorry, I know plenty of gay people who were fired when they came out, I know plenty of white women who were fired after they started dating black men. There is a lady who worked at Hobby Lobby here is town who was fired when her boss discovered she was agnostic. There are many states that don't have laws against firing someone for being gay, non-christian or anything else. The federal laws only apply to federal jobs.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Tazkven
reply to post by Logarock

Ain't it funny that the tolerance crowd are actually the most intolerable of all? Wielding what offends them as a sword to slay their foes and stifle those who simply disagree with them.

Yes its very easy these days. And as this case demonstrates, its not coming from the masses but from the top down. Its a new era of bigotry and conservophobia.

Does anyone remember how desperately the press tried to get Dick Chaney to say something negative about gays and his gay daughter? It was like an inquisition.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My point is your example didn't apply.

As for the earlier response, Duck Dynasty has never offended me. No one on that show is smart enough to pull that off. I live around people like that. Nothing new about it for me.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, wrong letter

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I dont get this, a prevalent idea seems to be that if somebody says something offensive, insulting or derogatory, and thats bothers you. then there is something wrong with you. Is this an american kind of mind set?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join