It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Picks Gay Athletes to Represent U.S. at Sochi Olympics!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Do these gay athletes know that the olympics are in Russia? That is not the USA and are under Russian rules and regulations there....Don't be surprised to find them in jail or worse after this is all said and done....USA rules mean absolutely NOTHING in Russia....

Obama just endangered the lives of these people....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I changed my previous post to read "people"

Outlawed or not, parading gay humans in a place with little to no tolerance just to make a point that you can does not sound like a good idea imo.

People hate Americans more and more everyday. In Russia there is a big push for intolerance towards gay people, so two for two against them.

They will most likely come back safe, but I won't hold my breath.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

catfishjoe
I'm a huge cubs fan. Since 1986. Die hard. If the entire Cubs team were gay and got us to the series I'd be tickled pink. Hell....I might even convert!!

Struggling with you're sexuality are you?
jk (could'nt resist...... am I sexist?
and if so in what direction?)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

crazyewok
Russia is free to ban what it wants.

Certainly...and all choices have consequences. I doubt they are looking for another human rights boycott. Personally, I think it's a pretty clever riposte from Obama...unpopular with homophobes and other dinosaurs, but there ya go.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

See how quickly they line up to be political tools, media whores.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

If it gets us a championship........don't ask don't tell!!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Fylgje
Why is homosexuality being forcibly shoved into peoples faces? Not only here in America, but now we shove it in other countries/cultures faces?

You say that as if there are no gay people in Russia. It is unfair that gay people do not have a voice in Russia. They are human beings, too. Someone has to give these people a voice.

reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Chrisfishenstein
....Don't be surprised to find them in jail or worse after this is all said and done....USA rules mean absolutely NOTHING in Russia....

I'm not sure about the gay law in Russia, but I think it's illegal to have gay sex, which they are not doing in that country (as far as I am aware).

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will lead the U.S. delegation to the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi, Russia.

Holy crap. Pork and payback loyalty? Guess it makes sense being that the US is so much about dominance through force.

Also, BJK was a tennis player. This is the Winter Olympics. Guess that's her out for not being a competing.

edit:

"It's not a police state, it's a sport."
edit on 12/18/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Seriously folks, political leaders sticking their noses into the Olympics is a tradition going back since they started the games up again.

A Long History of Olympic Politics

Politics and the Olympics

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Do these gay athletes know that the olympics are in Russia? That is not the USA and are under Russian rules and regulations there....Don't be surprised to find them in jail or worse after this is all said and done....USA rules mean absolutely NOTHING in Russia....

Obama just endangered the lives of these people....

Where is all this danger from arrest coming from? Someone show me one piece of Russian legislation that states it is illegal to be gay in Russia? Granted they do not tolerate it like we do in the west but they are not in danger of arrest... Worst perhaps some thugs who hold up banners or try to have a dig, but security would be tight!

You really think Putin would arrest american citizens, representing their country based on their sexual orientation???

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

You really think Putin would arrest american citizens, representing their country based on their sexual orientation???

Nope.

He will just use his professional ringer gays to beat the US then let us know that Russians gays are better.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Hahah someone needs to make a cartoon of Obama and Putin, it would be amazing.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Egads! The ignorance in this thread is so thick you could cut it with a knife! Yes, Russia can ban who and whatever it pleases. It could ban people with mental illnesses, people with dark skin, or Christians. That doesn't make it right. I disagree with Obama on a lot of issues but I respect him for making a political statement on this issue. There are gays in every society on earth and it is not contagious. Trying to prohibit gays from being themselves out of some misguided belief that anything less is bidding them Godspeed is ludicrous. Straight people are the norm. Do we call straight people holding hands or kissing in public out for disseminating propaganda? Do we incarcerate them? So why should anyone treat gay people in such a manner?
edit on 12/18/2013 by fomalhaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
To a certain ideological sort, skin colour, sexual orientation and gender is the most important thing about anyone.

Ironically, the same sort of ideologues who are quick to brand anyone who refuses to revere their pet pigment, gender & perversion as "Racist!", "Misogynist!" and "Homophobe!"...

Obtusely rubbing this useful ignorance in as many faces as possible is how "thought criminals" are identified, anyone who reacts with anything less than nodding along with the collective sheep are targeted and punished.

All leftism is fascism, fascism is how utter nonsense is reinforced as "truth;fact;reality" until we all agree, in unity, that the Emperors clothes are radiant and stunning.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

No, skin color, gender, and sexual orientation are not the most important aspects of someone. But as long as they are featured in discriminatory laws, they will be discussed - and rightfully so.
edit on 12/18/2013 by fomalhaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fomalhaut

How about leaving the Olympics to showcasing the best athletes and not injecting political BS. The players probably don't care about the gay issue, it's others outside watching that do.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

fomalhaut
reply to post by TheWrightWing

No, skin color, religion, and sexual orientation are not the most important aspects of someone. But as long as they are featured in discriminatory laws, they will be discussed - and rightfully so.

And we know "discriminatory laws" means any laughable and easily disassembled leftist notion, don't we?

With the added bonus of anyone questioning comical leftist notions will risk being denounced as a "Racist! Misogynist! Homophobe!"...

Unity is the eradication of (silencing) dissent. We know, we know.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

catfishjoe
reply to post by grubblesnert

If it gets us a championship........don't ask don't tell!!

I'm afraid for you that if it comes down to the Cubs being gay or making it to the championships, odds are in favor of them being gay.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I like the Cubs.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fomalhaut

Why is someones sexual preference an issue? Why do they feel the need to "promote" their sexual preference to everyone at every opportunity?
My sexual preference is my business and who I choose to have sex with is a personal matter and happens behind closed doors in a private manner.

It is the "Gay Community" that causes the issues by pushing their sexual preference all the time and people get sick of hearing it. Bottom line is, I don't care one jot what they do or who they do it with, it's a private matter for the bedroom (or kitchen, lounge, bathroom etc if feeling adventurous) and nobody elses business.
By pushing it down everyone's throats all the time, they themselves create intolerance and hostility as people get pissed off hearing it.

They really need to get over themselves and realise that they are not special, people generally don't care and that it is NOT a lifestyle, it's a sexual preference and should be a private matter.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

While Obama's motives for such a move are suspect and could be referred to as "political BS", I don't think equal rights for gays is BS. Besides, the Olympics have been rife with politics throughout history.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join