It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Picks Gay Athletes to Represent U.S. at Sochi Olympics!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
m.bleacherreport.com... =referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Take that Putin!!!! Obama is sending Billie Jean King and other gay athletes to the 2014 winter olympics in Sochi to represent the U.S.

Love watching the tit for tat bickering between these two leaders. Might be an interesting Olympics.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think it is idiotic. These men are simply pawns for an administration who thinks it is fun to play games with other leaders.

He is basically playing russian roulette with these people.

as if to say "I triple dog dare ya" I hope for their safe return, but don't expect it.

edit on 18-12-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Quote from the article for those interested -

Bleacher Report
Quote from Human Rights Campaign spokesperson Michael Cole-Schwartz -

"It's a positive sign to see openly gay representatives in the delegation," Cole-Schwartz said. "Hopefully it sends a message to the Russian people and the rest of the world that the United States values the civil and human rights of LGBT people."

King is one of the most recognizable gay athletes in the world. Her victory over Bobby Riggs in the Battle of the Sexes in 1973 was seen as a watershed moment for equal treatment of women in sports, and she has been a staunch advocate for LGBT rights as well. Earlier this year she was one of the first inductees into the National Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame.

King told the AP's Pells, "I am equally proud to stand with the members of the LGBT community in support of all athletes who will be competing in Sochi and I hope these Olympic Games will indeed be a watershed moment for the universal acceptance of all people,"

The questions ... how big is the delegation? Were these two people picked because they are homosexual or because they are great athletes who just happen to be homosexual ?? In politics there are no coincidences - IMHO. Anyways, congrats to those chosen to be delegates. I'm looking forward to watching the games.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Why is homosexuality being forcibly shoved into peoples faces? Not only here in America, but now we shove it in other countries/cultures faces? Why can't people just keep their damn sexual preferences to themselves? Only a small microscopic percentage of people are gay(just pulled those numbers from my hind-end), so why are they speaking as the majority? I just don't get it. American government and friends keeps trying to annoy all other nations in any way they can. No wonder everybody hates us.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Fylgje because: to add

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

brandiwine14
as if to say "I triple dog dare ya" I hope for their safe return, but don't expect it.

You don't expect them to return home?? They haven't outlawed gay people, just showing stuff on tv and posters with obviously gay stuff, so as long as they don't all start making out on TV they will be fine and Putin wont care...

Don't get me wrong I think the law was ridiculous, it really shouldn't matter enough to make a law but still, they are in 0 danger...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Was that an attempt at humor or do you really believe that Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow are men?

edit on 18-12-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

More the problem with gays and Russia is a piece of legislation that specifically addresses them and not anything else since the law is to prevent kids to see propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations to minors (note that traditional sexual relations are already curbed (but not as extensively) just because we are talking about kids. I really don't see any problem here, kids shouldn't be sexual active (14-18) and if so inclined it wouldn't be some legislation that would prevent them for expressing their own feelings and preferences.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

What a childish move..

Take that Putin!!!!

Face palm worthy..

Love watching the tit for tat bickering between these two leaders.

Don't forget your popcorn.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
What is Russia's stand on mens' figure skaters? Obviously some are gay.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

catfishjoe

They're obviously gay? Just wow..

I'm curious, what makes you think they're gay? And please don't say your TV says so..

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Hellas

catfishjoe

I'm curious, what makes you think they're gay? And please don't say your TV says so..

Not all are gay. Just some. You think ALL men's figure skaters are straight? Wow....just wow.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That's sexist it shouldn't be allowed.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

catfishjoe

Hellas

catfishjoe

Not all are gay. Just some. You think ALL men's figure skaters are straight? Wow....just wow.

Stop hitting that moonshine..

link   
When did politics get involved in who goes to the Olympics. Someone made room for an athlete who did not go through trials and is the best at the sport. Did he just create a special position for political statement.

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree. This is a diversionary tactic.

Obama is copping flak from left right and center, so he needs to win approval one way or another, that's why he's leaning on the homosexual community. This isn't a win for gay rights; this is an exploitation, to think of all the gay people who toiled and trained in previous Olympics that never got a mention, but now it's suddenly an issue and the honors only go to the 'champions'.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

brandiwine14
I think it is idiotic. These men are simply pawns for an administration who thinks it is fun to play games with other leaders.

He is basically playing russian roulette with these men.

And explain to me how that is any different than any other Olympics ever? Government leaders have always been using the Olympics to play international politics.

BTW, Billie Jean King is a woman.
Obama selection of Billie Jean King for Sochi 'genius

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Oh look at that kids!

Another failed foreign policy play by Obama. Isn't that just lovely?

What a giant huge failure Obama is in dealing with his allies or enemies. My God, if the people of Russia want to act like draconian neanderthals in their own country, they have every right to do so.

Obama isn't winning any points at all on this, he just looks like an idiot.

Maybe he should send a selfie along with them.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Hellas

catfishjoe

Hellas

catfishjoe

Stop hitting that moonshine..

Sorry....don't touch the stuff.

You do know that ALL sports such as baseball, football, etc.....have gay athletes. Whether they are "out" or not. So why wouldn't that be true for skating. Its not that big of a deal. Gay athletes are awesome.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Fylgje
Why is homosexuality being forcibly shoved into peoples faces? Not only here in America, but now we shove it in other countries/cultures faces? Why can't people just keep their damn sexual preferences to themselves? Only a small microscopic percentage of people are gay(just pulled those numbers from my hind-end), so why are they speaking as the majority? I just don't get it. American government and friends keeps trying to annoy all other nations in any way they can. No wonder everybody hates us.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Fylgje because: to add

Exactly, Fine if the US and EU are cool with it. Ok great.

But we have no right to force our values on the rest of the world.

Russia is free to ban what it wants.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm a huge cubs fan. Since 1986. Die hard. If the entire Cubs team were gay and got us to the series I'd be tickled pink. Hell....I might even convert!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join