It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Today's Bible Authentic?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

edit on 12/15/2013 by texastig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Don't just post a video. It makes for a worthless thread. How about you actually say something. A synopsis, your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The answer is No

I appreciate its a short answer but I wanted to put as much thought and detail into it as you did the OP

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

I didnt think any bible was "authentic"...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Yeah we really need (at least) a short description of the video to be able to discuss it. Otherwise we could just find it ourselves on YouTube. Also, you have to assume some people just won't be able to watch it for whatever reason.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
OK, I watched the video. It is a good intro to a very deep subject - kind of like dabbling a toe in the ocean. The fact is, and there is not getting around it, the Holy Bible is the best attested and most accurately transmitted document to have come down to us from antiquity. The writings of people like David Rohl have gone a long way towards putting the Old Testament "on the map."

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Depends on who you ask...

Its a book translated and transliterated from languages that don't really work well with english...

Ask most Christians and they'll tell you its the perfect word of God...

Ask most scholars... They'll say "not so much on the authentic side"

Ask me.. And i'll tell you its a book complied by men with agendas...

And so on... And so on

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

You don't find it being so well preserved as a bit suspicious? In a world where we can't get the truth on barely anything, they have let THE "truth" spread and be preserved so well. Not only have those in power let it spread, they have even promoted it and helped it to spread throughout history. That's mighty suspicious to me.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The Bible has been under the watchcare of its Author the whole time. If you believe what the Book says, you believe in a God who can do anything. As He asked in the same Book, "Is anything too difficult for Me?" He wants it preserved, and it get preserved, no matter how many Bibles get burned. Even Voltaire's home became a place where Bibles were published, and people think God doesn't have a sense of humor...

On the other hand, if you don't believe the Book, you won't believe in the Author, and its preservation will be a complete enigma to you, maybe even an fnigma. As I like to say, it all works together, or it doesn't work at all. But it does work.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

The bible being preserved isn't an enigma to me, I see it as an obvious clue that TPTB have used it to spread ignorance by calling it wisdom. They would never let the actual truth spread for so long while still promoting it on corporation run news networks, they've even turned its most famous holiday into a corporate hayday where businesses make billions in sales.

Religion and Christianity has thrived for so long for a reason, and its not because god has made it that way. Politics, religion, money, and power have always gone hand in hand. They are ways to keep us divided, it's all divide and conquer and Christianity is a huge part of that plan.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Let me boil all that down - you reject the message because it has been misused and misappropriated by sinful, greedy, ambitious people. Did I get that right?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I suspect that the bible is like a good wine for the Jews, but I feel it doesn't 'travel' well into other religious groups. There are Christians out there who still think God wrote it or at least had a hand in its writing, despite the fact that scholars have already identified a number of writers spread over time.

As to authenticity, although the Jews are using it really like an 'old deed' to qualify their claim to Israel, hence the fervour of their archaeology, its dating is somewhat open to poetic license and the tales of individual's existence, their amazing assention into heaven - or did they just disappear - are unprovable. Some of its tales excel in accounts of theft, abuse of trust etc and sexual depravity which far from showing characterises to be admired, simply tell some very unpleasant tales that rarely, if ever get commented on. (But that's only for anyone out there who has actually read the whole book through and not a version by the happy clappy brigade.

This book and its claims are never held to real scrutiny or to any form of responsibility for the wars it has been a definitive part of causing. One only has to look at some of the groups that support it eg the Papal City etc to see some of the least spiritual individuals and groups in the world.

I would say though that having enjoyed the Blues Bothers 2000 last night that it has a side that brings people together, proclaim how they actually like to help when help is needed and to enjoy good company, wear their best and have some of the greatest sing-alongs possible - but is that not possibly humanity doing what humanity would do as the Pagans appear to have done in the past?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I don't believe the message because what you just said is exactly what it was made for, for people to take advantage of. The real truth does not spread in this world meaning Christianity must be a lie masquerading as truth.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Another YouTube pointless piece.

Ok, here's the thing. The early Christians had none of the books of Matthew-Revelation. Now how does that affect your life as a spirit filled Christian now? The books, held in high esteem and full of truth were not books but letters sent to individual churches (most letters are now lost) from their Apostles (or founders) in the same way an Apostle could revelate to people he is responsible for now.

Just a thought for those that see the words crucial to our faith. They are not. They are letters full of truth, but those that banter the NT as the light of everything are wrong.

99% of what Jesus taught is unknown. So does that make 99% of what he said irrelevant?

Just asking. Not trying to prove anything just provoking good discussion. It's the spirit that gives life.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Worst thread ever.
Fail.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
If we examine the oldest known Bible to date, the "Sinai Bible" housed in the British Museum, then you could see how many staggering differences this book has to a modern day Bible.

In 1415 the Church of Rome took an extraordinary step to destroy all knowledge of two second century Jewish books that it said contained the true name of Jesus Christ.

They destroyed a lot of original work, which is why I think todays bible is just a novel at best.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes ... what Akragon said.

AUTHENTIC means - of undisputed origin; genuine.
Is scripture undisputed?

GENUINE means - truly what something is said to be; authentic.
synonyms: authentic, real, actual, original, bona fide, true, veritable;

So it boils down to ... is scripture ORIGINAL and UNDISPUTED?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

The Dead Sea Scrolls only apply to The Old Testament.

There are many changes in The New Testament.

For example, Matthew 28:19 says to baptize in the name of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In the older Bible it does not say this, and yet this is one of the most commonly used verses to prove the trinity.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

On the other hand, if you don't believe the Book, you won't believe in the Author, and its preservation will be a complete enigma to you, maybe even an fnigma. As I like to say, it all works together, or it doesn't work at all. But it does work.

Don't you mean authors (plural)??? The Pentateuch wasn't even written down for centuries and the new testament's books were first put in writing (the earliest one) 70 years after the fact--many were written decades, some even over a century after that---none possibly written by those given "credit" for writing them.

Then there's the council of Nicaea where for political reasons to benefit the Romans was convened in 325 AD to pick and choose which books were allowed to become "cannon".

All a farce.
edit on 12/16/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I don't think the Bible resembles the true document. It has likely been edited beyond recognition. It's a shame really. It's possible that the real message has been lost.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join