It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilauea Volcano threatens entire Pacific Rim with possible Mega Tsunami 100 ft high at L. A. ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Yes, I suppose we should all have subsumed our personal lives to an antlike hive society dedicated to trying to safeguard each and every individual from any and all possible dangers to life and limb ...

Let me ask you why no other country in the world has done anything like it?

Why was that America's cross to bear and America's alone?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Doesn't sound like it be any fun in Alaska either, for any of the Aluetian islands, Anchorage, Juneau, Kodiak, Homer, etc etc...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Who said about ant like hive mind?

You spend $800 billion a year on a MIC .

You could say your ant like on your bloated MIC

Surely a billion or two could have been diverted to subsidies and research into developing some defences and plan in case such a disarster happens?

What the point in the drone war or Iraq or afgsnistan when bigger threats to the usa exist?

Why spen billions bombing and killing people in pointless wars when that money could be better spent on protection of the usa itself and public saftey? Building tsunami shelters and earthquake proof buildings?

Or is saving people and prepareing for a calemity that will happen too commie? Is only killing and bombing good old capitlist?

And im not saying dont have a armed forces or defend itself. Im just saying do you really need a $800 billion a year budget when some of that could advance science and public saftey?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Technically, the only real spending in our budget should be military spending.

No, we don't need a military as large as it is. Now, given that our military winds up doing an extraordinary amount of disaster relief, I can see some argument for disaster resistance strategies research. However, a lot of people don't realize how much of the advances we enjoy do come from prior military and space program applications that have been taken over by outside firms and researched for private use.

Also, as I said, there just isn't much market for something that may not ever be used, anywhere in anyone's lifetime.

Sure we all know about Yellowstone and the New Madrid and now this slump danger from Hawaii, but they've always been a danger. Is there any real reason to pump a bunch of money into something that may not ever happen, not in our lifetimes, or our children's, or their children's? And then may not even be effective when/if the event does ... There's a point at which preparing for any risk begins to look a bit mad and you have to sort of throw your hands in the air and let God sort it out.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I guess, we may have to agree to disagree.

As for spending? Well dont forget police and courts, you cant have them privatised!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I laugh at people who take any chance they can to interject their personal political feelings when no one said anything political.
edit on 12/16/2013 by fenson76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I will agree some of the priorities are messed up with government funding and spending. I read someplace that to harden the electrical grind would cost about 500 million; now that makes more sense to me than a new aide package to a known enemy.

There are plans for satellite telescopes to detect NEOs that could possibly give us warnings about impacts from stuff that is over a half mile wide; no money... Yep makes you wonder about priorities sometimes.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just for the sake of clarity; the height of a tsunami wave is measured from the seafloor up... not from the surface up. Hollywood made the height on the surface up, to over dramatise the tidal-wave/tsunami for film. The edgewater at the landfall mark will slowly recede out on approach, and then roll back in on a small wave really far inshore how far out it goes and how far in it comes depends on the size of the wave... but 100ft plus tall wave rolling across the top of the ocean for 100's of miles and making landfall like shown in the cinema is silliness.
edit on 16-12-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by 727Sky

Kilauea, we lava you baby! So don't be upset.

Do you think there's a hidden meaning behind the volcano's name?

Killer-Wave'a...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by 727Sky

Kilauea, we lava you baby! So don't be upset.

It's Pele you have to appease not Kilauea, and she's not one to mess with.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Word is, gin calms her.
Hasn't been working so well for the past 25 years or so though.
farm2.staticflickr.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

This story is overhyped as far as the regional tsunami threat from such a slump. Local tsunamis, i.e. hitting the Hawaiian Islands, is another thing: there's geological evidence that there have been 500' tsunami waves that have hit parts of the islands in the past.

The areal extent and total volume of the area affected is what determines the tsunami size. It is massive earthquakes that might move the crust as much as 30m and occur along a 1000 km front that cause large tsunamis. Would a slump event in Hawaii cause a "tsunami" wave that could be detected in LA or San Diego? Sure, but it wouldn't be more than a foot or two, if even that much.

edit on 17-12-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Why is everything overdue? How come nothing ever happens when it is supposed to? Or is it we who are predicting things incorrectly and these things are infact not over due but not due just yet?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

fenson76

I laugh at people who take any chance they can to interject their personal political feelings when no one said anything political.
edit on 12/16/2013 by fenson76 because: (no reason given)

And i laugh at people to dense to see the bigger picture.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

727Sky
I will agree some of the priorities are messed up with government funding and spending. I read someplace that to harden the electrical grind would cost about 500 million; now that makes more sense to me than a new aide package to a known enemy.

There are plans for satellite telescopes to detect NEOs that could possibly give us warnings about impacts from stuff that is over a half mile wide; no money... Yep makes you wonder about priorities sometimes.

Exactly my point.

A little bit of planning could make the world of good.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Zaphod58
It's Pele you have to appease not Kilauea, and she's not one to mess with.

I know some non-virgins in D.C. that could be offered to the volcano.

It wouldn't help things any . . . except there would be less lying, greedy, traitorous power mongers stealing us blind and trashing the USA from the inside out.

It appears to be a race as to which will devastate L.A. and other areas first--such a Hawaii triggered tsunami or the tsunami of traitorous filth from D.C.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by BugOut

I laugh at people that say the USA will always be a superpower.

The USA could fall tomorrow.

uhmm...who always says that?...I haven't heard, or seen, anyone here or in the news make that statement.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Zaphod58

Word is, gin calms her.
Hasn't been working so well for the past 25 years or so though.
farm2.staticflickr.com...

phage...you old dog!....do I detect a bit of humor?....It is a shame though, that people leave their trash around like they are in their own back yard....as the saying goes, "if you drink, drink responsibly, keep your empties inside your own trailer"

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think someone passed her on the road and didn't offer her a ride.

www.yourghoststories.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

In that case it's not trash. It's an offering. People leave offerings to Pele all the time to appease her. Otherwise you end up like Kalapana.

This was Kalapana in May of 1990.

hvo.wr.usgs.gov...

And this was Kalapana by December of that year.

hvo.wr.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join