It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilauea Volcano threatens entire Pacific Rim with possible Mega Tsunami 100 ft high at L. A. ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oh, great.

As if our sitting on the ring of fire wasn't bad enuf,

now we find out we're also sandwiched inbetween kilaeua and yellowstone.

tharrr, she 'blows!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i often wonder what it would take to knock it loose.

talk about a ransom.

n.k. or who ever might not need anything other than a few well placed warheads

or just get all billion chinese to jump at once a few times and hope.idk

i think u get my meaning

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

crazyewok
You guy get all scared by a few angry goat hurders/ terrorists yet mother nature could do more damage at any moment than a 1000 9/11's all at once. Maybe instead of spending trillions on wars and a hyper police state a few tsunami and earthquake defence systems woukd have beenn in order!

And then theres that bemammoth under yellowstone......

That's a nice sentiment, but tell me....what does a "tsunami and earthquake defence system" look like? What would you get for a trillion dollars? Around here we have a few signs on the highways that say "Volcano escape route" and that's just about it. I suppose you could put some signs in the opposite direction saying, "Tsunami escape route" or the always favorite, "In case of tsunami, seek higher ground" (true story on the coast of Washington.)

I feel better now.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

schuyler

That's a nice sentiment, but tell me....what does a "tsunami and earthquake defence system" look like? What would you get for a trillion dollars? Around here we have a few signs on the highways that say "Volcano escape route" and that's just about it. I suppose you could put some signs in the opposite direction saying, "Tsunami escape route" or the always favorite, "In case of tsunami, seek higher ground" (true story on the coast of Washington.)

I feel better now.

Tsunami walls would be a start.

Mass evacuation plans. Massive investment in the at risk areas Infrastructure to allow mass evacuation.
Warning sirens. Shelters. Moveing people out of the most at risk areas.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

crazyewok

schuyler

I feel better now.

Mass evacuation plans. Massive investment in the at risk areas Infrastructure to allow mass evacuation.

Emergency evacuation blimps. The only direction you could evacuate everyone safely would be upwards. Either that or giant 150 foot high solid steel walls that rise up out of the ocean. Even then they would have to interlock like the London flood defences.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

stormcell

Emergency evacuation blimps. The only direction you could evacuate everyone safely would be upwards. Either that or giant 150 foot high solid steel walls that rise up out of the ocean. Even then they would have to interlock like the London flood defences.

Well a $1 Trillion could go a long way. And im sure the US goverment could have spared 2 if it hadnt gone on a silly crusade in the ME chasing goat herders and budding up to Israel.

But hey I guess the tens of millions that live on the west coast are expendable.
edit on 15-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

crazyewok

You think a wall could stop a 100 foot tsunami????

We HAVE mass evacuation plans. You want us to build twenty lane highways away from the water? Environmentalists would stop that in a hurry. What? Toward the volcanos (which are inland)? Warning sirens? We've got those, too. Moving people? OK. When you've evacuated Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego, let us know.

The thing is, these kinds of actions are impractical. People won't go along with them and will not support them for a variety of reasons. The kind of infrastructure you want to build would have to be enforced by a totalitarian government under the same kind of pressures to invest government money elsewhere to "fight poverty," etc. all for threats people don't take seriously. Perhaps they should, but preparing to survive an event that happens every few ten thousand years is not a sufficient motivation.

The fact is, we are not going to survive a Yellowstone-type eruption, period. Humanity will survive, surely, but the global civilization we have surely will not. There are so many dangers from so many directions that we can't even prioritize what is most important. The populace, which pays the bills, will not agree with these "solutions."
edit on 12/15/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Well at the end of the day it no more impractcale that bombing deserts hopeing to stop a ideology.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
hoe about escape towers

imagine this

5 storie sheleters on 20 storie poles.

that raise and lower to keep it above sealevel

shouldnt need more than 5 poles. and yiu could make them modularand cheap.

make one and tell people they will have to pay to escape

and watch how fast the people get the gov involved

one will be on every block lol

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Please let this scenario unfold.
I sure could use a vacation from this...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Moral of the story:

Don't live near coastlines.
Don't live near faultlines.
Don't live on an island surrounded by faultlines and coastlines.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

CranialSponge
Moral of the story:

Don't live near coastlines.
Don't live near faultlines.
Don't live on an island surrounded by faultlines and coastlines.

Just dont live on the north American continent.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

But hey I guess the tens of millions that live on the west coast are expendable.

Not just expendable . . . "USELESS EATERS" in Kissinger's terms . . .

They WANT TO forcably EXTERMINATE 6.8 BILLION souls.

Of course, they'll happily enjoy "natural" disasters helping out.

They certainly don't want to spend much on prevention, if anything.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I saw a special that was in hawaii, this guy was standing in this HUGE crack, he said when the side falls off into the ocean it would cause a super tsunami, I am assuming that this thread is about that, though it was several years ago.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by BugOut

I laugh at people that say the USA will always be a superpower.

The USA could fall tomorrow.

Students of Bible prophecy have persistently found it interesting that there's no CLEAR or emphatically certain mention of the USA in Bible prophecy.

Yet the configuration of Russia, Iran et al against Israel in this era was depicted precisely.

Many have asserted that's because the USA ceases to exist as a viable world power early in the END TIME traumas.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I believe I remember that documentry too. Was it the one that was trying to show that they found land in Alaska which rose out of the sea 30 feet or so do to a massive earthquake, then they found evedince in Japan and California of a Massive rogue tsunami that devistated the lands decades ago and they made a link between the alaskan earthquake and the rogue tsunami that hit booth California and Japan. If so, That was a great documentry.

Now as for that shelf, I place that in the same catagory as the Juan de fuca trench.
There are just some things that you can't do nothing about.
I remember all through Highschool when I took all the Earth Sciences/Geology/Geography classes, we were always warned about the massive earthquake that was going to hit us soon, an earthquake so big that it trumps everything on record. and that where I live ,because it is on a ancient delta, the ground is going to liquify and the houses and buildings are just going to sink in the ground and every one will mostlikly die.

They ONLY thing you can do to avoid this is move to the interior, move the the middle of your country.
What if both these incedences happen at the same time?
From what I remember from school is that it will be at least 12 on the rickter scale.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Elphineas

Interesting. That makes it look even more steep than Google earth does.

High ground is taking on more meaning all the time.

I'm glad I live inland on a mile high desert plateau.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

very likely to happen sometime because it has sure happened before and the process happens with all the islands in that chain.
www.drgeorgepc.com...
www.drgeorgepc.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Take it as you will, but USGS says this is overblown.

They claim that one of the terms was mistranslated from one version of the article to another with the more sensationalized version becoming the popular one. Given that this is our government we're talking about ... well, I'd take with some salt.

The article in question is quoted at the top and gives you some idea of the scales involved.

This site has some visuals for you. Like the maps I think you requested.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

snypwsd--->They ONLY thing you can do to avoid this is move to the interior, move the the middle of your country.

That would keep you safe from tsunamis.
Just make sure there's not an active volcano in your back yard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join