It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am afraid of death. And I am afraid of dying.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Was just diagnosed with emphysema which is an incurable,eventually fatal disease.I have many thoughts racing through my mind now...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by droid56

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.” ~Bruce Lee

That is your first mistake, you think immortality akin to legacy. What does being remembered after death accomplish? Will it change the fact that you'll be dead? Does it make you feel good about dying?

It doesn't matter. Death is the great equalizer; a reminder that regardless of your accomplishments and regardless of your hardships, everything you do in life is all for naught. Nothing lasts.

Look at dictators and people in power who try to immortalize themselves in the eyes of men by erecting monuments to excess and putting their names on various organizations. They all still die and people don't give two s***s about them.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you do with your life. Enjoy it, don't enjoy it, time doesn't care.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I can vouch for this. I had the exact same feeling when I had pneumonia. I let it get to the point that when I finally went to the hospital I couldn't take 3 steps without almost passing out. I could not breath. My blood pressure was 35/40 and I wasn't scared. I should have been terrified. Afterwards I was more scared than during. I spent 8 days in the ICU and they wouldn't room me the first night because in their words "you may not make it".

I was more calm than I can explain even now. I can't believe that I was not scratching my own eyes out from fear.

So I believe you are right. I do think at the beginning it can be terrifying but then calm and peace wash over you. It also explains why folks aren't screaming in droves at the hospital in the hospice wing when death has started to overcome them.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

Life is an incurable, fatal disease. It just takes longer to take it's course. Perspective changes everything.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I suppose you could look at death as a release. There are those who beg for death to get away from the pain they are suffering either physical or mental.

Suicide is usually in the top 10% of cause of death in several countries to include the USA.

If after death there is something else it will be better than here and if there is nothing then you will have nothing to worry about. It does not take religion to figure that out and most religions do not believe in a Christian Hell so I would not worry about it; nothing you can do about it anyway...Accept your fate and prepare to be assimilated or whatever !
The cells in our body are constantly dying and are replaced by new ones. As such, birth and death are taking place every moment. The phenomenon of death is merely a more dramatic ending of this continual process. Death is not ‘being called IMO to eternal rest to lie in the bosom of some creator deity’ but a continuation of a process that is both mysterious and answers all questions on the subject. It could be like the commercial about V8.. When you get to the other side our first thought may be "Wow. I could have had a V8 all along"; or nothing like being put to sleep for an operation. Whatever is the case we are not in control.

All we can do is make our life count for something so that when we face death there are no regrets.

I do not want to hurry the process but in truth I don't fear death other than the pain it will cause my loved ones; it is more of a grand adventure to answer one of life's major questions. Is, or Is not, what will be will be, regardless of what we think or want.
edit on 24-11-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I will say this in another way:

The Fear of Death controls The Actions you take in Life.

This is how the fear of death creates a fear of life, in a sense.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah I guess it's all in the mind.

I remember so distinctly that it wasn't actually the physical part of my body not getting any oxygen but more the active decision of accepting and letting go that triggered that feeling of peace and calm.

(Although it could very well have been some physical side effect from the lack of oxygen in my brain)

That still has me wondering. Is it possible to consciously decide to accept death or is it your body telling your brain that the situation is beyond help and to accept the things that are to come......know what I mean?

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
For anyone who has ever had an out of body experience or an after death experience, they know that we are far more than just a physical body. We are all made of energy and energy does not die.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

droid56
We non-religious types say, "Yikes!"

Do we?

I am glad I have this knowledge now. I was all "Death, it's inevitable. No need to worry about it, it will come soon enough. Live for the now, not dreading the future.."

but whew, now I can catastrophise until I die.

ps. I don't fear death. I fear not living.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

That is your first mistake, you think immortality akin to legacy.

No. I think immortality means you live forever. The second best option is to maximize how great the one life is. Instead of only living a so-so one with the expectation of there being another better life after.

What does being remembered after death accomplish? Will it change the fact that you'll be dead?

Pretty sure my post made it clear I didn't think it would change the fact I am dead or that it would matter to dead me...

Does it make you feel good about dying?

It makes me feel better about living. It doesn't comfort my fear of death. Knowing while I am living that I led/leading a good life, and that I will be leaving that memory of me to the living after I die.

It doesn't matter. Death is the great equalizer; a reminder that regardless of your accomplishments and regardless of your hardships, everything you do in life is all for naught. Nothing lasts.

Cup half full half empty perspective.

Death doesn't render life without meaning. At least to me.

link   

zedy63
reply to post by droid56

your not alone

You're.

See, what life brings? Knowledge and edumacations.

Ahhaha.. ahh.. Hey I felt that kick.

link   
I think its a natural fear. No one wants to die. I guess its about accepting it when the time comes and to go with it and not resist it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I do know what you mean. I think it is a coping mechanism we were born with/given/blessed (take your pick). Because I do think it would be really scary and when you think about it, it is. I think the body kind of overrides the fear in the moment and I am glad it does. Most people do not die with an extreme look of horror on their faces and if you go by word of mouth you hear of a lot of folks dying with a smile on their face (not including tragic accidents, murders, gruesome deaths and I think these are opposite because the adrenaline of the attack/accident overrides everything else).

I just think the body/mind/spirit does in some way prepare itself to "leave the building" and I think we all have it built in.
edit on 11/24/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

It's the most peaceful, beautiful experience you will ever experience, believe me, it is nothing to fear. The feeling of complete and total love and peace, far surpasses any earthly experience able to be felt on this plane of existence.

The loss of the physical body is not important. The realization that your consciousness-energy is truly connected with and part of everything, brings about a greater understanding of the phrase 'everything is connected'. After-all, all that is left after the physical body is gone is just pure conscious-energy.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Some people need the safety blanket of religion to secure them in life.

Others prefer the open seas that brings with it danger and experience.

It's nice you are safe in death..

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

It's the most peaceful, beautiful experience you will ever experience, believe me, it is nothing to fear. The feeling of complete and total love and peace, far surpasses any earthly experience able to be felt on this plane of existence.

You have to experience it first before you can say it. It could be anything.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

DestroyDestroyDestroy

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by droid56

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.” ~Bruce Lee

That is your first mistake, you think immortality akin to legacy. What does being remembered after death accomplish? Will it change the fact that you'll be dead? Does it make you feel good about dying?

Look at dictators and people in power who try to immortalize themselves in the eyes of men by erecting monuments to excess and putting their names on various organizations. They all still die and people don't give two s***s about them.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you do with your life. Enjoy it, don't enjoy it, time doesn't care.

This!

Live. People are constantly living in regret or fear. They forget to actually live.

Won't matter in 10 years from now what you did 10 years ago. All that matters is right this moment.

If there is an after life I've guaranteed I will be in torment regardless. lol. but I don't care. It is what it is, and I live right now. Not in the moments that have not yet happened.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Where were you before you were born??

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by spartacus699

Some people need the safety blanket of religion to secure them in life.

Others prefer the open seas that brings with it danger and experience.

It's nice you are safe in death..

oh ya, just keep letting your pride and ego tell yourself that.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah I know.

I guess we have our reptilian brain to thank for the urge to survive. But what is so powerfull that it can override this instinct?

Is it a normal function of living things? Is it exclusive to humans to be able to accept the end and experience it as a peaceful thing?

We've all seen a buffalo being eaten by a pack of lions on Discovery and every time it's the same. Fight till the end but eventually the buffalo ends up on the ground and a couple of lions already eating up his insides while he is starring into the camera with a look in his eyes of "It's okay"

I may be looking to far into things....

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join