It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am afraid of death. And I am afraid of dying.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

tovenar

openyourmind1262
As long as you have folks who keep you in the memories..you never die.

How long do you expect to be remembered ? Today's celebrities won't be remembered in another 25 years. Do you even know the names of your great, great grandparents? How well are they even remembered by your family?

Only if you let it happen, I know my ancestors names going back to Germany 1n 1770's! My father (although he wouldn't admit it) was a WW2 hero and told me many stories that happened to him during the war, my son wrote them down so it will be passed down through our family.
Family history doesn't die, it is usually killed.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Not a day goes by, that i don't fear "death". I fear it because life on earth is so beautiful that i never want to leave. One can only hope there's a better place, after death.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Agreed. I do think about death more and more the older I get. There is a fear, an unknowing and also a fear of the indignities and the pain leading to and upon death. What happens when we die? What will happen to my family? Most days, I'm sad that I'm closer to death with the thought that I haven't done enough with my life...although I'm sure it's a bit like "It's a wonderful life" where I've made a far bigger positive impact than I think I have. I hope so! I feel as though I know the truth of it...there is no hell and I will be rejoined with God. But...what if I'm wrong? I'm with you.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I have experienced it and had to come back, wasn't my turn to go.

second line

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

wulff

tovenar

openyourmind1262

How long do you expect to be remembered ? Today's celebrities won't be remembered in another 25 years. Do you even know the names of your great, great grandparents? How well are they even remembered by your family?

Only if you let it happen, I know my ancestors names going back to Germany 1n 1770's! My father (although he wouldn't admit it) was a WW2 hero and told me many stories that happened to him during the war, my son wrote them down so it will be passed down through our family.

Yes, but how well do you know those ancestors. A few paragraphs of recollections? A few important dates? I treasure my own heritage, which also terminates about 1750. But many of those names only have a line or two in the family history. It's not like they really "live" in our memory. No one remembers their favorite food, or a beloved pet, or what they thought the meaning of life was. And that was the only point I was making---not disrespecting anyone's pedigree. Just pointing out that we are all, each of us, doomed to be forgotten by the future at some point. Those who hope to live on vicariously through the memories of their descendants will have to admit that at some point, the memory is lost. After enough records are lost in storms, or burnt up when the homestead burnt down, or when the wagon train got lost.... No one remembers the dead, really remembers them, more than a few generations. fifteen at most.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

droid56
Getting really feeble, and then ending up on the floor of my apartment,alone, or ending up in an ambulance heading towards a nearby hospital scares me. Dying, losing the ability to breath without help scares me.

I'm not trying to be morbid. Death is freaking scary.

And then there is the whole question of sailing without control into the great beyond after we die. You religious types say, no problem. We non-religious types say, "Yikes!"

The whole death thing scares the heck out of me. If you aren't close to it, or you are a member of a very soothing religion, you don't understand what I am saying.

Death is scary. Unless you are not awake.

Have you read anything about near death experiences? Raymond Moody has a good book on this. Also see Pim Lommel's book.
edit on 28-11-2013 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I hope this helps.

The Rat.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

tovenar

wulff

tovenar

openyourmind1262

Yes, but how well do you know those ancestors. A few paragraphs of recollections? A few important dates? I treasure my own heritage, which also terminates about 1750. But many of those names only have a line or two in the family history. It's not like they really "live" in our memory. No one remembers their favorite food, or a beloved pet, or what they thought the meaning of life was. And that was the only point I was making---not disrespecting anyone's pedigree. Just pointing out that we are all, each of us, doomed to be forgotten by the future at some point. Those who hope to live on vicariously through the memories of their descendants will have to admit that at some point, the memory is lost. After enough records are lost in storms, or burnt up when the homestead burnt down, or when the wagon train got lost.... No one remembers the dead, really remembers them, more than a few generations. fifteen at most.

Well, luckily some of my ancestors had the insight to keep some journals, one thing I read was from the early 1800's when the family farm (that was given to my family for service in the American Army) it was in Pennsylvania and they decided to sell it am move West (to Ohio) they were paid in gold and it must have been a lot as my Gt,Grt, Grandad told his 4 year old daughter (kidding of course) that if she could pick up the bag of gold, she could keep it, LOL she couldn't pick it up.
I realize it's unusual for a family to keep such detailed records as something as simple as a joke but it helps me to understand them and make the connection (mainly they had the same dumb sense of humor we still do today!).

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I'm not a religious type and death doesn't scare me. Though there is a feeling of anxiousness regarding confirmation of my findings from researching the afterlife mostly based off of logic and what I connected through study of historical rational accounts of the afterlife (those accounts without conceivable holes) or worse non confirmation and the confirmation of what I find to be illogical or simply very undesirable.

Any type of specific faith gained through my findings aside I concluded the rough draft of my findings and logical musings with despite any fear you might have of it, according to popular precedence it is inevitable and as such it's illogical to fear death it self but in regard to what comes after feelings of hope and feelings of fear regarding your hopes being dashed are understandable.

edit on 1-12-2013 by Strayed because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What living creature doesn't fear death. There are many creatures on Earth, that are not intelligent at all, but recognize danger that will threaten it life. Is this just a by product of evolution? Probably.

Some cultures embrace death, like the Samurai, or ancient Aztecs, to Egyptians. Unlike the samurai though, they looked forward to death, so they can meet the creator of all existence, and ask for that being personal opinion, if they just or not. i think the Egyptians would have their souls or heart put on a scale for such a thing in the stories anyways.

Samurai believe if you fear death, when your going into battle, you will most likely "DIE" a painful death, while no fear of death at all, would guarantee a victory. Talk about psychological warfare, and they had a saying, using a shield is a sign of cowardice, which is why they use two handed weapons.

Ancient Vikings...Same thing like the Samurai. Had to die in battle to get an audience with Odin.

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."- Einstein
edit on 3-12-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

I would love to have an audience with Odin too..

Every night in valhalla, having banquet, eating Roasted Boars mmmmmm.....

peace.
edit on 5-12-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

At the moment of death you have no feelings about breathing. You may/may not have control of your spirit on the other side but remember this, your not the first and you certainly won't be the last to experience this.

If you are religious then read your scriptures about death and you should be put at ease.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join