It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am afraid of death. And I am afraid of dying.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

The whole death thing scares the heck out of me. If you aren't close to it, or you are a member of a very soothing religion, you don't understand what I am saying.

Death is scary. Unless you are not awake.

No one wants to die but we are instilled with that knowledge... that we will experience physical death, like it was firmware we came with at birth.

I wish I could go back and relive my life... undo all my mistakes and see what it would all be today had I not jumped into the fire so many times. But... in my opinion, this life is a teaching moment and how we deal with those lessons, what we learn from it, will dictate how it goes the day after.

I will not suggest any religion or science but rather, reflection. Review your life and all those things that have made you different today, from what you were when you were young and... well, immortal, lol.

Best

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Sublimecraft
So far, every person who has ever been born, ever, has died.

That's actually incorrect. Some still live

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

droid56
Getting really feeble, and then ending up on the floor of my apartment,alone, or ending up in an ambulance heading towards a nearby hospital scares me. Dying, losing the ability to breath without help scares me.

I'm not trying to be morbid. Death is freaking scary.

And then there is the whole question of sailing without control into the great beyond after we die. You religious types say, no problem. We non-religious types say, "Yikes!"

The whole death thing scares the heck out of me. If you aren't close to it, or you are a member of a very soothing religion, you don't understand what I am saying.

You need to more "dangerous stuff".

I am afraid of death too. I don't want to leave my family. It's not the pain or the way I'll die that scares me (it'll likely be at over 200mph anyway so it'll be quick). It's the not seeing my loved ones again. Not being able to hug my Mum, Dad or Brother. Never see or share again an experience with my partner who I love more than I need oxygen. Never to hear any of their voices or laughter... all those things we each take for granted everyday and don't really appreciate until those very last moments when we wish so much

I say, you need to do more 'dangerous stuff' otherwise you'll just become a recluse and then die lonely and afraid like you said above. It'll start with being afraid to die (which you've done already) and then worrying how it'll happen. Then you'll stop leaving the house through wondering if a small asteroid will strike you in the face as you open the door, or a car will mount the curb and roll over you, or you trip up the garden path and impale yourself on your garden gnome... the list of possibilities is endless. Just go on YouTube or LiveLeak...

What you need to do is get a bike license and go buy yourself a Suzuki GSXR-600 and rag the absolute C#@? out of it round a track once you've developed the skills. You need to scare yourself silly and get that adrenaline pumping - you need to think "Holy cow that was close, I just nearly died".

Get yourself some skates or a BMX and chuck yourself into a half-pipe, break a few bones.

Go mountain climbing.

Get an international skydiving license.

Go base jumping or get a wingsuit.

Do everything that is fast, hard and scary - feel ALIVE before it's too late.

You are human, you are amazing and you are capable of so much. You can do whatever you want and are so incredibly robust. You break and heal, you can endure an immense amount of pain, until you pass out and wake up somewhere else. You'll survive the most incredible feats.

If you hesitate you'll regret it.

Where do you live? I'm in Essex, England. I'll come do all these things with you if you think there's no-one that'll do it (can't quit that easy). I will scare you so much that you'll laugh hysterically and maybe even cry but I guarantee you'll want do it again and again and again...

When was the last time you experienced quite a bit of pain? Even stubbing your toe or standing on a Lego brick. This is probably-maybe the route of your fear of dying. If you don't hurt yourself often enough you get more and more afraid of being hurt and pain always = death if you have enough of it, so the thought of being in pain slowly turns into you becoming worried more than you should; just in case.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by droid56

It's terrifying. I sometimes say I have a phobia for it. People often laugh at that and make a point to say 'who doesn't'. However, the fear can cripple me. It plagues my thoughts. Definitely something I struggle with regularly. I guess it hits some harder than others. I am envious of the religious people who have alleviated that fear with belief. I have no interest in accepting belief without evidence just to provide a crutch. My solution instead will be to make sure I live the best life I can now, and not bank on any hereafter.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.” ~Bruce Lee
edit on 24-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

It's like you picked the thoughts right out of my brain. I think about death much more than the average person probably does. I have always done so ever since I able to comprehend it. At first I grew up in a very religious home so I had no thought but the pearly white gates etc etc. Now that I am swimming out in the great big blue on my own without the religious crutch it terrifies me. You know, it has made me infinitely grateful for every moment that I get now. Almost like I try to squeeze every last drop of goodness and experience of life out because you just never know when your moment might come. No regrets.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

The absurdity of life is that it has no meaning; you get your 15 minutes, then life, as you know it, ends. Since there is no inherent purpose to life, and thus no meaning, any meaning you put into life is self deception, or perhaps blissful ignorance.

Again, it doesn't matter. Hell, you could save the Earth from nuclear holocaust and it still wouldn't matter; your life is a ripple in an endless ocean of time. It can be a somewhat large ripple, or a very puny ripple, but it's a ripple nonetheless; do not over estimate our insignificance as a species. We've no more impact on the outcome of the universe than ants.

lol. Well then

Perhaps one day I will be so jaded with life that all meaning is sucked out and I fall into deep nihilism and pessimism. Time will tell.

Curious. What is your driving force then since you seem so antagonistic to my earlier sentiments. What keeps you going, and how is that not contradictory?

Acceptance of your eventual demise allows you to view life from an objective perspective.

That part I agree with. That was a strong part of the reasoning behind what I had said.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Droid56… what you are feeling is a very common problem, that is created by culture and religion in order to control you.

First let me plant this seed in you: what you are experiencing as "life" right now… this moment, is a passing moment in what is the eternity of the energy that you use to inhabit the body you use to travel through these 70-80 tough years.

Death is non-existant. "You" will not die… the body you are using as a vessel right now will wear out, and the fears you are feeling are inherent to that body.

Some use the word "soul" others use different words. I use the word… or… I understand, that what I am, is nothing but waves of energy sticking out into 3 dimensional space for a short period of time.

I have no fear of death, because I know it's a concept created by culture and religion in order for me to produce more while I'm here… work harder, feel guilt etc.

When I leave this body, the energy that is me, will still be intact, because it is in fact non-perishable.

What made me not fear death? I have to be honest…. a very high dose of psilocybin mushrooms. After that, there's nothing in "life" I fear, because in the end, "life" is just a gameshow of a specific length of time and once the gameshow is over, I'll return to the universe in my natural shape as waves of energy.

Start here…. Ignore the music, most of the recordings with Alan Watts are without music, but equally as insightful and comforting. I promise you…. Alan Watts is the kind of guy that will make you go "Of course!"

After that, you should consider trying a high dose of mushrooms… then you'll never fear death again!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Perhaps one day I will be so jaded with life that all meaning is sucked out and I fall into deep nihilism and pessimism. Time will tell.

Curious. What is your driving force then since you seem so antagonistic to my earlier sentiments. What keeps you going, and how is that not contradictory?

Acceptance of your eventual demise allows you to view life from an objective perspective.

That part I agree with. That was a strong part of the reasoning behind what I had said.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

I'm more of a realist than a pessimist. I'm eventually going to die, and that's okay. It's not something to get hung up over. There are things you can control in your life, and there are things that you can't. You must resist that which you can, and want to, change, and accept that which you cannot.

In a nutshell, I view death as inevitable. Granted, you can take measures to increase the longevity of your life through a healthy diet, staying fit, and avoiding stress, there is no denying that there is always going to be a chaos factor; you could end up dying in a freak accident, catch an incurable disease, etc.

The only rational thing to do is accept that you will one day die, and move on. If you cannot come to terms with this, perhaps belief in an afterlife will help you comes to terms with death. The truth is, we don't know what death is. We assume that it is a permanent displacement of consciousness from a body that no longer functions autonomously, but we won't know until we experience death first hand.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well, if it's any consolation, the two times I thought I was just about to buy it were very calm.

I had expected to panic like a big wuss, but it was more mild regret combined with embarrassment at having been caught with my pants down. In fact, I think I was way more worried about dying stupidly or pointlessly than dying, which probably doesn't make sense but it's true.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

edit on 25-11-2013 by tbizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I don't know what it's like to die, but I do know what it's like to realize that you are dying.

When I was 20, I had a stomach ulcer that was wrongly diagnosed. It ended up puncturing my stomach, just at the moment I walked out of a pub. I dropped to the ground, like someone does when they are shot. The pain quickly intensified to the point that I KNEW I was dying (Left untreated, this does of course kill you.). I was rushed to the hospital and had emergency surgery.

When I dropped from the pain, I was scared and confused, wondering what the hell was happening to me. But as soon as the pain became so intense that I was sure I'd be dead within 15 minutes, an amazing sense of peace came over me. I have not been afraid of dying ever since.

You can see the same thing happening in wildlife documentaries when a predator catches its prey. The animal is in a state of panic when it is being chased, but as soon as it is caught and there is no chance of escape, it often stops fighting and accepts its fate.

Hence: "There is nothing to fear but fear itself" - Shakespear

soulwaxer

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I'm not religious, and death does not scare me. In fact I'm quite excited to die, not really for the dying part but what ever comes after. Heaven, Hell, reincarnation, a whole new realm of existence my living body and mind could not begin to understand.

I find it all quite fascinating.

Don't get me wrong, I by no means am in a hurry to find out. I'm quite happy living my life, but I can't help but feel such curiosity towards the event. It's kind of like when you're a kid and you're going somewhere in the car. You don't know where you are going, it may be grandma's, or the dentist, could be the park, but it could be some where totally awesome. You just don't know until you get there, and you can't help but be excited.

Do not fear death, if it turns out to just be the end, you will have nothing to fear if it turns out to be something else you can deal with it when you get there. How do you think a new born feels at the moment of conception. He doesn't, he is completely unaware of the transition from egg and sperm, to the first living cell.

Nor will you be truly aware of the moment you transition between life and death.

Yes DYING is scary, it's that one great unknown that inevitably we will all face alone. It could be painful, it could be painless. The death itself will not hurt a bit, it's what brings you to it that may suck.

Just keep it off your mind, there is literally nothing you can do about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Hey, it is natural to be afraid of dying. I don't have poetic words but maybe personal experience will help get you through. I remember in a real bad car accident, where I went flying toward a phone pole at 65mph, complete peace and acceptance came over me. Now my husband, did die in the hospital and was revived. He says he has no fear of dying anymore, that at the moment it happened, he was at peace and unafraid. You are alive at this moment, I think. Is there someone or something that can bring some joy to your day?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

AndyMayhew
reply to post by droid56

Death is like falling asleep. Is that really scary?

depends on the method. ya think?

tied to a stake and some gas, or a needle in sing sing.

dying is a piece of cake, it's how you get there, is the problem.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

Living is always the problem. If I were dying in sing sing the road to death would be one of regret for me.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

redoubt
reply to post by droid56

No one wants to die but we are instilled with that knowledge... that we will experience physical death, like it was firmware we came with at birth.

I wish I could go back and relive my life... undo all my mistakes and see what it would all be today had I not jumped into the fire so many times. But... in my opinion, this life is a teaching moment and how we deal with those lessons, what we learn from it, will dictate how it goes the day after.

I will not suggest any religion or science but rather, reflection. Review your life and all those things that have made you different today, from what you were when you were young and... well, immortal, lol.

Best

oh man, i wish i could too, but

yeah, Jesus set the bar pretty high.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

MOMof3
reply to post by tsingtao

Living is always the problem. If I were dying in sing sing the road to death would be one of regret for me.

unless you were innocent.

like the stake or being on the cross.

or getting shot, committing an armed robbery.

we make our own path to death.

innocent or guilty.

it's just scary, to go too soon.

i worry about the peoples i would leave behind. screw me, i'm daid.

donate my body to science, (fiction)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
We are all dead now, mistakenly thinking we live... and when we die, we awaken to a beautiful, love and light drenched realm replete with prancing unicorns and looping waterfalls splashing floating mortgage-free cloud castles with amazing interior decoration and low flow shower heads that feel like they're wasting gallons... maybe... or not ... or it's all just a facet of possibility and consciousness with dualistic pluses and minuses exchanging numbers in a big parking lot after the music show that hasn't begun... yet... or again.

The dying process scares us, and for some unlucky folks, it should... but it's a transitory unpleasantness and the longer processes of shucking off the mortal coil are now usually mitigated with nice drugs and someone to empty the bed pan, who may be nice, too.

The fact we are even here as conscious beings is awesomely, astoundingly weird. People forget that constantly. To believe we shut off, end of story, is not actually any more rational OR likely than eternally being, though the inane popular dogmas in our cultures make it seem like a one shot experience of this thing we term "life" is the "smart," "educated" option.

Possibly running into non-visible bodied thingies has personally made me think that death is change in a flow of awareness that doesn't end since it improbably already somehow exists. Taking exotic substances and seeming to have popped out of my fleshy vessel on occasion supports this assumption... along with the oodles of reports of similar experiences spanning eons from other oddly aware, living beings who are improbable and miraculous by their very existence.

So we know very little... except that in our present state, many agree that death (and life) seems scary, sad and unpleasantly long... despite those that live, die and return to report that it's all fun, happy and timeless.

It might just seem like an ending and the improbable song of living never really fades out...rather it just gets continued by a new band gradually taking the stage to mixed reviews (and metaphors).

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Surprising post to come across....Im still somewhat young...I had been in the infantry for 4 years...cop for 7 with 3 on SWAT. Ive been stabbed at, shot at, someone tried to strangle me....near misses on the interstate...near misses with friendly fire...very very near on that one haha. Ive been close.

I am not religious at all. I don't believe in any particular religion but not opposed to something happening after death. Here is how I dealt with it. To steal a cheesy hollywood line "every man dies but not every man truly lives". It is true. I know ive lived one hell of a life and I know that we have to die. The one thing we all have done is be born and die. We don't remember being born nor how it felt. I assume death will be the same. If you are worried about pain I'll tell you this. Adrenaline fixes most of that. If you are in great distress in those last moments your adrenaline will kick in helping you cope.

Don't fear it brother. No matter what you believe. We have to die...I think whatever or whoever designed this, if anyone, knew what they were doing. Just keep living the best you can...learn a new hobby do something to occupy you because we dont have a choice in the matter and its a guarantee we all have to do it, just like being born.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

droid56

Life is scary.

Why? I believe it's part of the adventure and experience we signed up for.

When one leaves their body fear is not a part of the self anymore.

The only reason I say this is because of my personal experience in OBE's.

Fear only returns when in our physical shells.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I've always found that people who fear death fall into one of two general categories:

(1) They can't imagine an afterlife better than the world they currently inhabit

(2) They don't believe their deeds in this world merit rebirth in a world better than the one they currently inhabit

If you're not religious, you can get over your fear of death with some research. Check out some Near Death Experiences.

Notice the commonalities between most every one of them--a sense of peace, of overwhelming love, and in many cases... a rebirth in a higher plane far better than earth will ever be.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join