It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet C/2012 S1 - ISON, Stereo Ahead HI1-A

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Stereo Ahead ..

HI1-A

1024 x 1024

End Hour: 23

secchi.nrl.navy.mil...

edit on 20-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Comet ISON Spectrum
Taken by Vikrant Kumar Agnihotri on November 16, 2013 @ Kota India

files.abovetopsecret.com...

spaceweathergallery.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Where and at what time do I look to the sky? I have been looking day and and night and can't see anything

I am in Southern Illinois.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Neopan100
Where and at what time do I look to the sky? I have been looking day and and night and can't see anything

I am in Southern Illinois.

It rises in an easterly direction shortly before the Sun.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

ISON Is little comet so it's not that easy ..

With binoculars you will not have any problems to find him ..

-November 18th: ISON passes just 0.38 degrees north of the bright star Spica.

-November 22nd: ISON crosses into the astronomical constellation of Libra.

-November 23rd: ISON sits 4.7 degrees SSW of the planet Mercury and 4.9 SSW of Saturn, respectively.

Looking east before dawn on the morning of November 23rd. Note comet 2P/Encke nearby!

d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net...

Your location, time UTC

edit on 20-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thank you to the both of you...I have been looking up at around 5:30am..in that direction..because I thought that is where people said to look..but I get nothing. I will get up earlier this weekend and try to view it.

I do have a telescope..will this help?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Telescope would help, I too have a telescope and haven't been looking because I didn't expect it to be visible for me yet. I am now going to attempt the same myself

What kind of telescope do you have? it will most likely be better than looking with binoculars.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Silly question, but are these the only dates to view it?

Thank you in advance gang.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Justaposter
Silly question, but are these the only dates to view it?

Thank you in advance gang.

if ISON survives close encounter with the Sun but probably will, in December will be better visibility etc in time ISON leaves away from the Sun ..

Clear skies allow brief viewing of Comet ISON's 'pre-game' show
By Scott Sistek Published: Nov 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM PST Last Updated: Nov 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM PST

The comet will get super bright as it gets super heated from the super sun. Then one of two things will happen: The comet will either break apart from the heat, ending the show and disappointing billions, or it'll survive and have a brilliant glow that some suggest may be so bright, the comet will be visible not only at night, but during the day as well.

The comet is just barely visible to the naked eye -- a cosmic smudge, but it's there. The trick is, each day that passes closer to Thanksgiving, the comet is getting closer and closer to the sun, making it more difficult to see in darkness as it's rising and setting closer to the sun.

But at least for Wednesday and Thursday nights, you have a chance. Trick is to get up about 90 minutes before sunrise (about 7:20 a.m. in Seattle) and look very low in the eastern sky (near where the sun would rise). If you can use a star chart, like Skyviewcafe.com (or smartphone app!) to find Spica, ISON is close by.

Here is a chart for Seattle for Thursday morning at 5:40 a.m., courtesy of SkyViewCafe.com:

We are, as I said, in a race between seeing ISON when it's still dark as this program indicates the comet rises at 5:27 a.m. on the flat horizon but early morning twilight begins around 5:45-5:50 a.m. Seattle also has a challenge in that there are A) city lights and B) mountains to our east. Best plan is to get somewhere dark with a good view to the east/southeast, or cross your fingers that the comet survives Thanksgiving and we get some more clear weather in December and early January.

*If* ISON survives its Thanksgiving encounter with the sun, then it should become brilliantly bright with a long tail as it shows off its heat glow. It'll take while for it to get far enough away from the sun to see at nighttime but by the time we get into mid-late December, ISON should be above the horizon for much -- if not all -- of the nighttime hours. ISON makes its closest pass to Earth on its return trip out on Dec. 26 and sure enough, SkyViewCafe says the comet will be visible all of Christmas Eve Night and Christmas Night.

www.komonews.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Anyway this is not ISON it's comet Encke, we will see ISON on HI1-A SECCHI in next days ..

Stereo Ahead ..

HI1-A

1024 x 1024

End Hour: 23

secchi.nrl.navy.mil...

This is comet ISON, 21 Nov ..

edit on 21-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here's my processing of the raw beacon data, covering 11/20 through the latest image (at the time of processing) on 11/21. You can see ISON entering the field of view.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Awesome work NGC - thanks!

Looking forward to further images from Stereo...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Hey NGC & Maria - Have you seen this thread regarding missing data from a number of the cameras tasked with solar watching? Data Missing From SECCHI-A COR2

Do either of you have any thoughts? Seems odd, but for all I know they shut down multiple cameras all the time in the event of large flares and/or CME's. And what was captured right before the shutdowns looked pretty big...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Riffrafter

Hey NGC & Maria - Have you seen this thread regarding missing data from a number of the cameras tasked with solar watching? Data Missing From SECCHI-A COR2

Do either of you have any thoughts? Seems odd, but for all I know they shut down multiple cameras all the time in the event of large flares and/or CME's. And what was captured right before the shutdowns looked pretty big...

The start of the data interruption also corresponded to the last beacon image received that day, probably just a glitch with the spacecraft due to the flare.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
22 Nov ..

Stereo Ahead HI1 ..

edit on 22-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
COMET ENKE

COMET ISON

spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Latest ..

Comet ISON with Comet Encke in HI1-A

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

????????????........for your image link.

No directory found! Please check that the input date is in YYYYMMDD format.
There is nominally a two day delay from present for download and processing before images are available for the movie tool.

See the SECCHI Image Gallery link for available dates

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

thestillborn1

????????????........for your image link.

No directory found! Please check that the input date is in YYYYMMDD format.
There is nominally a two day delay from present for download and processing before images are available for the movie tool.

See the SECCHI Image Gallery link for available dates

Link was working when i post this thread ..

Last 2 days SECCHI not working also I see that for the first time, just don't like that !!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

MariaLida

Latest ..

Comet ISON with Comet Encke in HI1-A

Hey Maria (and NGC if you're reading this) - is it true that Enke is much closer to the camera on HI1-A than Ison?

If so, what does that tell us about the size of ISON? It seems much larger here than Enke yet it is farther away? Does that mean ISON is much larger than Enke? Isn't Enke's nucleus over 4km's across?

I thought conventional wisdom had ISON's nucleus at only 3.4km...

A lot of questions, I know, but I am truly perplexed and curious...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join