It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's interesting to read how vehement some people are in how others on assistance should spend the money allocated to them because its all part of everyone's tax 'contribution'. It's too bad the thread is filled with such negativity, but that's what one gets for daring to post.

It seemed to me this was the OP's cry for help, essentially. He came to post where he felt most comfortable and obviously knew at least some of the risk of posting here, but did it anyway. There were a lot of good posts here that will hopefully help him. I even copied and pasted more than a few. The gods know I could sure use a better education when it comes how to buy stuff, look for the right stuff on sale to buy.

I'm not very domestic by nature and find it all a bit overwhelming and frustrating and so I just buy what I know. It's a bad habit a lot of people have and it's very difficult to break, especially when you are on psychotropic drugs or suffer from various levels of OCD and don't have a strong support network to help you.

So I want to start off by saying, I have severe diabetes and high blood pressure -- from a kidney disease that will eventually do me in if one of the first 2 things doesn't beat it. I do the doctor things periodically, but the medications for all of it make me so sick and so sick with side effects that I can't function and so I make the executive decision to skip a year, do a year, skip a year, etc. I know I shouldn't but I can function well when I'm not on them. But it's the only way I feel I can have any kind of quality of life. I know the OP doesn't have that choice at all.

Anyway, the whole thing about the soda and pie. I find it petty to condemn someone over a picture, especially without all the important information...etc. Some medications (like the OP mentioned) and like my diabetes medications cause low blood sugar attacks out of the blue. Mine always happened at 2 or 3 am and sometime in the afternoon.

If you've never had one of these -- it's terrifying. I felt like my skin was going to boil off and I craved, needed, had-to-have something sweet. I couldn't walk straight, I couldn't see straight and I couldn't think straight. I learned to keep small sodas and small sweets around because if I didn't I would gorge uncontrollably on whatever I could get my hands on. (I'm in the green weight zone for my height/weight/build, fyi) I've never experienced anything like that, so when the OP said he craved sugar, I believe I understood what he meant.

Just because you are a diabetic doesn't mean you are supposed to eliminate all sugar when you are on your meds...you need to keep it in balance. That means you need to have quickly digestible sweet things around. Seems like the OP said the meds caused the craving, so that seems like a generally justifiable expense since he needs to keep his sugar in balance too. Maybe he can learn to make a cheaper pie? I don't know how much pies cost premade vs handmade. Soda though, is a good and cheap solution to a sugar craving brought on by meds.

So hopefully the OP has gotten a bit of an education learned to shop better and cook a bit more to make his money stretch and hopefully he doesn't take any of the narrow-minded-hate posts personally. Just because you have the Internet, doesn't mean you really know what to search for and what questions to ask to better educate yourself. That's why we have communities.

To the OP: I hope you are doing well and will come back to let us know if you've improved your situation any. Some of like to know how the story continues or ends

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I got a bit of a chuckle at French fried onions.
Up here where I am 5 minutes from Quebec and its very french....we call them onion rings.

Good recipe though.

edit on 18-11-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

macman

So, you really don't care about the children then either, as it negatively affects mine.

Yes I do. Yet your working and brining in money. Your children are not starveing.

Only a small amount of tax money goes to those disabled. I dont know the figure in the USA but UK its a small amount. Thats disabled not overall welfare.

If you kid have to go with a can of coke or a bag of sweets so that someone can afford food to live another day so be it. I wont lose any sleep over it. As long as they have good healthy food to eat.

If you want to make cuts maybe focus on the career unemployed who abuse the benifit system.

edit on 18-11-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Ahhhh, let me sob just a little.

Yeah, I am mad. I look at my paycheck every time, and see just how much is stolen from it. Then I read about how people either go wild in a Walmart in LA, people scamming to get free cell phones and then others seemingly complaining about what they were able to purchase while using Govt handouts.

The money stolen from me, could be used to provide for MY family. You know, the family that I work for, to provide for. But instead, I have people like you, a bunch of fake compassionate want to be's that chime in about how it is only fair because of this or that.

Now, you and several others here are fine with money stolen from me and my family, to give to others.

I see where your compassion is. Those that YOU have stated should not be without. Not for those that provide the funds for those people.

Just think, if people like me where able to pay less in taxes, all of your compassion would be fund-less.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

They actually did teach that in schools at one point. The class was called Home Economics".

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oooh, first time I have been called a progressive! I always love that. And I had no doubt what I said would fall on deaf ears. Though, in this case, it sounds like that is a repercussion of a choice you made, instead of actually being deaf through no fault of your own..

Anyway, when you actually have solutions to give, your words might mean more. Until then, it just perpetuates the SSDD type thinking that got us into this situation in the first place. Essentially, you have yourself to thank for it just as much as anyone else.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Other peoples lot in life is none of my business. I don't look to the rich person and bemoan them for they wealth. I, unlike people like you, try to mimic who they obtained their wealth, so I can earn what I want.

Again, other people are not my responsibility.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Would'a given you more stars if I could......

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Mamatus

They actually did teach that in schools at one point. The class was called Home Economics".

I know... Its really too bad that is gone with so many other things. All, in my mind, to create the exact system we see today. I feel it was all intentional to get people to divide over yet another item. And, just like usual, it works splendidly. People would rather complain than actually take a hard look at things and offer solutions. And, I think that is intentional too.

I wonder what would happen if the basic tenets of cooking and gardening were taught in school nowadays. I wonder if this issue would look completely different.

Instead of just throwing money at the problem, I think it would be better to come up with a self-sufficient system that was a one time investment (!!) rather than a continuing one. The issue is that does not foster dependency, which is the polar opposite of what the government is currently achieving.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Regardless, the receiving of stolen money should not be easy to obtain.

There are many organizations, groups, families, churches and so on that will and can help.

As for charity not pushing through the entire amount to those in need??? Are you serious.
Just for laughs, maybe take a wild guess as to how much of each of my stolen from dollars goes to those in need from the Govt.

I have identified your problem. You rely to much on Govt.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

macman

Other peoples lot in life is none of my business. I don't look to the rich person and bemoan them for they wealth. I, unlike people like you, try to mimic who they obtained their wealth, so I can earn what I want.

Again, other people are not my responsibility.

Yes they are, just as others watch over you. You need to open up, your a member of a community it wouldn't hurt to to care about others, just as others care about you.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Now I am just sad. Sad to the point of crying in the corner.

I love how you equate manhood to being happy with the Govt stealing from me to give to others. That is very very cute.

But,lets gloss over my statement on charitable givings. Because only the Govt can do this.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

And you are sure that my children don't go without?????

Again, fake outrage by a fake compassionate.

Because you have come to the idea that it is okay to take from mine, to give to others shows hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

What a joke. You can buy a pack of Kool-Aid for 10 cents, buy a huge thing of sugar and get your sugar fix for under 30 cents a gallon, but that takes a little effort and perseverance.

Do you really have the nerve to come on a public forum to bitchandmoan about how 2 2-liters of pop and a bunch of processed bs isn't good enough for you?? While most of us bust our ass and struggle just the same??

Kool-Aid, sugar, bread, lunch meat, cheese, oatmeal. That's breakfast, lunch, and drinks for a week for under $15.

I can do it, so can you.

But if you really have the gall to bitchandmoan that youre not entitled enough, direct your frustrations with the treasonous government that taxes me 4 whole long hard work days out of every 10 I work for their completely failed governance.
edit on 18-11-2013 by jctcle because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2013 by jctcle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I don't need to offer solutions.
Is that the talking points sent out for the last couple of weeks? This idea that because I don't offer a solution to this problem, which is not my problem to solve in regards to providing others stuff, is fake compassion.

I don't need to offer a solution. Not my job.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

macman
Just for laughs, maybe take a wild guess as to how much of each of my stolen from dollars goes to those in need from the Govt.

Hence why you need a simple sream lined system for those who require disability.
Notice Im not talking unemployed or lazy Im talking disabled.
The bill for disabled people claiming welfare is pretty low for most nations (even with good paid systems like the UK) low enough that high taxation would not normaly be needed.

The big bills come in when you bring it the unemployed and pensions in.

macman
I have identified your problem. You rely to much on Govt.

Me I work. Im just defending those who are vunrable,

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

macman

They are not my financial responsibility.
My responsibility is to myself and my family.

This whole sick and dieing retort does very little to me.

There are thousands of methods for people to get food. I still don't see where it is okay to remove food from my family, to give to others.

They are a part of your responsibilities of being a good human, a good citizen of the country and world.

If you broke down on the side of the road and you forgot your wallet at home, would you refuse to let someone else pay for a tow? I mean, that is stealing from the person that has and giving to a person that doesn't have.
edit on 18-11-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

macman

Again, fake outrage by a fake compassionate.

BS abosulte BS

When it comes to defending the vunrable Im deadly seriousnes.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

No, others don't take care of me. I don't receive Govt handouts. Never have.
And spare me the whole "Well, what if you did", or "It may happen" crap.
I will not take Govt handouts. I have planed accordingly in life. Others should and need to do the same.

As for this community thing crap. What is next, will you pitch "It takes a village", or how about "we are all citizens of the Earth".

I will personally always help others. It is not the job of the Govt to do so.

I give money to help others. Yet, I also have money stolen from me to give to others as well and am tired of it.

Does this need to be stated again?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

macman

, and see just how much is stolen from it. Then I read about how people either go wild in a Walmart in LA, people scamming to get free cell phones and then others seemingly complaining about what they were able to purchase while using Govt handouts.

This is not about them its about the sick and vunrable.

I agree the unemployed people that do that should be stopped.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join