It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Months Ago Today... I Quit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not bragging (I have failed many times before and very well could do so again before I leave this earth), more or less posting this here for myself to keep it going. The more people I tell, the more I feel the need to succeed. I can't explain it.

Anyway... after smoking for over 20 years, almost 2 packs (sometimes more) a day I have reached my half year milestone. I never thought I could do it for a few days, but here I am. Halfway through 1 year.

It took about 2 weeks before I could tell a huge difference in my breathing. I was diagnosed with COPD and asthma after a near death bout of pneumonia a few years back. I was around 33 at the time. I smoked on. I left the hospital bed (with pneumonia) to go outside and smoke. Yes. I understand how stupid that is, but the addiction is what it is.

My husband got sick with his breathing a little over 6 months ago to the point where he was passing out cold in the middle of the floor after coughing fits. His diagnosis.... COPD and asthma. Every time he got up and coughed I lived in fear that he would hit the floor again. Doctors were looking at putting him on oxygen part time. He is 38.

Then it hit me.... (yes it took a lot apparently)

How stupid is this? I do not want to be on oxygen before I am 40. I can't mow the grass without feeling like I am going to pass out. My breathing indoors was even affected by the humidity and heat outdoors... at 36. So I decided to quit. Regardless of whether my husband would or not. At least I could quit and it wouldn't make it harder for him to do so if he ever felt the need.

I started on vaping then went to 0 mg of Nicotine. I do still crave a cigarette on occasion. I can't lie about that, but it comes and goes a little quicker each time. I try to remind myself each time of how long it has been since I smoked a cigarette and how all of that would be for nothing if I picked up just one smoke. It's that bad. I know that I can't have one. I know after many tries that one leads to many more and I refuse to do that this time.

This time, with everything that I have in me... I will stay a non smoker.

I guess making this post makes me feel more accountable in a way. Failing while alone is one thing, but failing in front of many others is something totally different. I hope to prevent either one.

edit on 11/16/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
A star for AWESOME! Keep up the good work.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Thank You!! That does mean something to me.

BTW - I like your avatar. I study it each time it pops up.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Congratulations! Good for you and your health

I started vaping about 5 months ago, myself, and haven't had more than about 2 cigs since that time. I definitely feel better overall, myself.

Anyhow, big congrats to ya

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

AWESOME!! And Thank You!

I would have had A LOT harder time quitting had it not been for vaping. I wish it was more accessible to everyone because I do believe a lot of folks will save their own lives using this method. Honestly. I know it may be more mainstream in other places, but not here. There are no stores here that sell any of that so unless they found out about it online.... they don't know a lot about it.

As we speak there are many people trying to clamp down on vaping and the supplies needed for it. I can't help but think that is done for monetary reasons.

I wish you luck to keep going strong!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Now that you have proven to yourself, you CAN do it. You ARE doing it. Hold on to that. Consciously remind yourself occasionally. Reward yourself for your ongoing success by acknowledging it to yourself. It is important.

I'm proud of you, and I'm happy for you. I mean that. You deserve to be healthy and happy. And any thoughts to the contrary are incorrect.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

SnF!

(I want my wife to read this)

Great job!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Klassified

Now that you have proven to yourself, you CAN do it. You ARE doing it. Hold on to that. Consciously remind yourself occasionally. Reward yourself for your ongoing success by acknowledging it to yourself. It is important.

I'm proud of you, and I'm happy for you. I mean that. You deserve to be healthy and happy. And any thoughts to the contrary are incorrect.

Thank you for that Klass. Really. I didn't expect to receive the support I have so far since this isn't one of "those" forums. It does mean a lot to have it.

beezzer

SnF!

(I want my wife to read this)

Great job!

Thank you Beezzer!
Tell her she can do it! It is possible. It is hard... but it is possible and it does get easier as time passes. If she can make it through the first 2 weeks it gets A LOT easier. The space between cravings gets far enough apart that you can actually notice it by then. It also gets easier by then because you can start feeling the difference in your overall health.

SHE CAN DO IT!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

When you say vaping you mean those electronic cigarettes with the nicotine tubes or whatever in them?

What do you do with that, dial down the amount of nicotine that you inhale or something?

(curious sorry)

And I am happy for you! And proud of you! Keep up the good work!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

When you say vaping you mean those electronic cigarettes with the nicotine tubes or whatever in them?

What do you do with that, dial down the amount of nicotine that you inhale or something?

(curious sorry)

And I am happy for you! And proud of you! Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

There are tons of e cigarettes out there but I use one that takes ejuice in a tank (it does not look like a normal cigarette). You can start at something like 24 mcg of nicotine and step down until you are at 0 mcg nicotine. When you order it you have to specify how much/little nicotine you want in it. When you reach 0 mcg you can buy just the flavor if you still want to vape.

They have any flavor you can think of from normal tobacco to bananas foster, pineapple, lemonade, cinnamon rolls, etc.

I have tried the patch, the gum, the wellbutrin, etc. and had no luck at all. This is something that worked because you can choose how fast you want to step down and still do something with your hands.

edit on 11/16/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I started on vaping then went to 0 mg of Nicotine.

The wonders of modern technology .
I've been a smoker for over 20 years and tried quitting many times , cold turkey , patches and nicotine gum all failed to do the trick for more than a few weeks.

Now I've been tobacco free for three and a half months thanks to e-cigarettes and feel much better for it , they are in my opinion the best way to give up the evil weed

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

gortex

I started on vaping then went to 0 mg of Nicotine.

The wonders of modern technology .
I've been a smoker for over 20 years and tried quitting many times , cold turkey , patches and nicotine gum all failed to do the trick for more than a few weeks.

Now I've been tobacco free for three and a half months thanks to e-cigarettes and feel much better for it , they are in my opinion the best way to give up the evil weed

That's fantastic!!! I am proud to see so many fighting (successfully) the addiction.

I agree with you. I think the ecigs are just about the greatest things since sliced bread. I wish I could have found them and done this years ago. If anyone reading this thread wants to quit, I would highly recommend this route to them. It's a miracle worker IMO.

Hang in there! We can all get a lot healthier and a little bit richer if we stick with it!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
E cigs for me as well. Truth is, I always enjoyed smoking, whether it be cigarettes, pipe, cigar… pretty much anything with nicotine. Then, the smell, loss of smell, short breath, etc., I switched to the gum for awhile. I didn't mind it but it made it hard to sleep.

Went to vaping and haven't looked back. I notice I can go hours without vaping before I even feel like another round. If I had to quit, I'd be in much better headspace.

I know people cry about how addictive nicotine is, but I'm curious how much the other chemicals found in smokes are compounding that?

It's a shame more people don't get to try e-cigs, as the establishment is not fond of something so cheap and easy to use.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

boncho
E cigs for me as well. Truth is, I always enjoyed smoking, whether it be cigarettes, pipe, cigar… pretty much anything with nicotine. Then, the smell, loss of smell, short breath, etc., I switched to the gum for awhile. I didn't mind it but it made it hard to sleep.

Went to vaping and haven't looked back. I notice I can go hours without vaping before I even feel like another round. If I had to quit, I'd be in much better headspace.

I know people cry about how addictive nicotine is, but I'm curious how much the other chemicals found in smokes are compounding that?

It's a shame more people don't get to try e-cigs, as the establishment is not fond of something so cheap and easy to use.

Awesome!!!

I enjoyed it a lot myself. I looked forward to the smoke after dinner more than I did the dinner most of the time. It was just really satisfying. I don't think people who have never smoked can even imagine that. It does stink. It is a nasty habit so those who have never done it, have a hard to empathizing I think.

I also catch myself not needing to "vape" for long periods of time. It isn't the first thing I go for in the morning anymore either. I pretty much just vape to keep my hands busy. That habit is just as hard to break too. You get used to having something in your hand, flicking the ashes, etc. then it's gone.
You feel kind of naked.

I absolutely think there are other ingredients in cigarettes that keep you addicted. Even when I was smoking liquid with nicotine in it.... I didn't feel that NEED to do it like I did with the actual cigarettes. It was nowhere near as strong.

There are several different states that are trying to get ecigs and supplies banned. I am sure big tobacco can be found in there somewhere. They never bothered with the other aides... but this one works and they can't have that.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Oh, good for Yuex, Kangaruex!!! I appreciate what a feat this is, from having quit some years ago after a 1-2 pack per day habit. I remember standing out in the rain on the back deck, smoking a quarter of a cig while wearing a patch and coughing from bronchitis. Duh! 'Can't imagine how hard it is for people who quit in this day and age when the cigs are so much more addicting. Congrats to you!

They say that your lungs heal themselves over time, and that they have remarkable regenerative properties. Check out this timeline for what occurs in your body after you quit. It's remarkable! www.healthline.com...

My brother-in-law died a horrible death from lung cancer this year. I am so glad you're off that road! 'Always enjoy your threads and posts, Kanga, but none so much as this one.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Ok... you have convinced me... I am going to try to quit too...

I guess I am going to start shopping for these e-cigarette thingy's!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Thank you grace. The feeling is more than mutual.
I do miss your old avatar though.

You standing outside in the cold rain, coughing sounds exactly like what I used to do. It really is ridiculous and you get mad at yourself for needing a smoke that bad. I was so bad that we all but quit eating out because they stopped smoking in the restaurants... that is sad.

I am sorry for your loss. My grandfather died of lung cancer as well. I was a small child, but even then it left a mark.

I thank you for the link as well. I can use that and can pass it along to a few other folks I know.

OpinionatedB

Ok... you have convinced me... I am going to try to quit too...

I guess I am going to start shopping for these e-cigarette thingy's!

Great! You can do it! It is still hard, but it is not nearly as hard with the ecigs IMO. If you need help with any of it you can pm me or ask it right here. There are apparently several of us here that vape. Between us I am sure we can get you started in the right direction. There are so many different types of ecigs out there it can quickly get overwhelming.

You probably have a shop somewhere in your town though. I keep forgetting that I do not. I must be one of the very few that don't. I have to purchase everything online. If you can go check things out in person that is always better.

It can get a little costly on the first purchase, but you can save a ton of money in the long run. I spend on average $20/$25 every 2 weeks. You can't buy a carton of cigarettes for less than that and if you are like me... I was going though 2+ cartons a week.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Congrats to you Kangareux!
I need to stop smoking myself but my situation makes it near impossible as I have too much time on my hands.
I have heard the e-cigs makes it easier and I'd like to try those but there's too many choices.
What exactly do you use? Could you link me?
Glad to hear you beat the addiction, it is a tough habit to break.

Tell your husband I told him to quit.
He needs to be there for you so you can both grow old together.
Cheers,
ATA

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I have heard the e-cigs makes it easier and I'd like to try those but there's too many choices.

It can be mind boggling at first but my recommendation is see what's available in your area and search out user reviews online , I found youtube particularly useful .

I bought an OK e-cig as it was a starter so I didn't want to spend much initially just in case it didn't work , OK e-cigs are sold through Asda here (Walmart) so it was nice and cheap plus received favourable reviews due to the quantity of vapour and decent throat hit it gives , after just over three months I'm looking to move up to the type Kangareux uses as I now know they work

If you buy a cheap one you may want to consider buying 2 , the batteries only last for 2-3 hours of use before needing a recharge , it's handy to have a spare charged and ready to go .

edit on 16-11-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Congrats to you Kangareux!
I need to stop smoking myself but my situation makes it near impossible as I have too much time on my hands.
What exactly do you use? Could you link me?
Glad to hear you beat the addiction, it is a tough habit to break.

Tell your husband I told him to quit.
He needs to be there for you so you can both grow old together.
Cheers,
ATA

When you dip into the ecig world, you will try it out with some small, crappy unit and eventually upgrade yourself to full mod (not that kind of mod.)

The Innokins are good starter mods, which are a little bulky but are pretty good vapes.

If you want to be discreet, I recommend the Kanger EVOD, its great (it's a starter). Doesn't hold a lot of juice, but no leakage and a decent vape.

If you are ready to go full out, without having to spend 100+ on a unit, go Segelei VMAX, (it is a good one for at home, kinda looks like a dildo…) or the Innokin iTaste MVP.

The Kanger is a smaller one, most people will use in public. The others I mentioned are more for at home, unless you are cool with hulking a big mod around.

Order juice in bottles, start with 24mg if you are a heavy smoker. I started with 30mg, but 24 is a safe bet for most.

Get a couple flavours to figure out what you like.
edit on 16-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join