It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon Hits Philippines Winds 235mph 1000 Dead - Now Heading for Vietnam

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

they should abandon that island because, one time, it just inexplicably flooded even when there was no rain at all.

I hear a 4.2 earthquake just struck the area too.

Just turn the island into an entirely uninhabited forest off limits to humans, maybe that's what nature has been trying to tell mankind.
edit on 12-11-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by angelchemuel

...its a shame that the richest Billionaires can't provide Air travel to Volunteers when there is disaster like this.... or the Airlines themselves....

I can't understand why there are still women giving birth to so many kids in these areas mentioned...

I agree that volunteers shouldn't have to pay for airfare, and that people should offer to sponsor such flights. They can fly in volunteers and fly out those who are desperately trying to escape all the hunger, death and destruction. I hope they're not being hesitant for fear that there are those who will take advantage of the free flights, whose abuse I would imagine would be minimal compared to the other corruption that goes on during disasters of this magnitude.

As for the rampant births despite poverty conditions, the overbearing influence of the Church in this mostly Catholic country is to blame. Our legislation only recently passed the Reproductive Health Bill after a dozen years of battling it out that would promote family planning--education but not the funding of abortions, mind you--and contraceptive use (both condoms and birth control pills). Implementation has once again been put on hold until a satisfactory dialogue is reached with its critics (i.e., the Church).

It's also a deeply imbedded cultural construct in this country that the more children you have, the more people you have to tend to the farm and look after you when you grow old. I personally know too many provincial families where it's not uncommon to have 8 to 12 kids! And they can't afford to feed each mouth, much less send them to school. Sad.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Four MV-22Bs, and 3 KC-130Js with 180 personnel departed MCAS Futenma in Japan yesterday heading to the Philippines to assist. PACCOM has been told to use anything necessary to help. That brings the total number of Marines in the area to 270 so far, with a lot more on the way.

The USS George Washington carrier group was ordered to make "best speed" to the Philippines, and is expected to arrive tonight or tomorrow.
edit on 11/12/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Holy Katrina and son of a bip- li- itch ! Wow ! 235 mile an hour gusts ?

WTF ? Can we just imagine what people were witnessing ?

My prayers to the Phillipines.

Art Bell?
edit on 12-11-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The commanding general of the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade did a helicopter overflight of Tacloban, and said it doesn't appear that a single building is not severely damaged or destroyed.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I love have'n you around here Zaphod. Can you imagine if things were to
keep gearing up this way ?

The USS George Washington carrier group was ordered to make "best speed" to the Philippines, and is expected to arrive tonight or tomorrow.

Ya America ! Still some good left in her !
edit on 12-11-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I posted this.....

I'm old enough to remember the very first Band Aid concert....you know the one that was supposed to stop world hunger. 25 years later (a generation) we had another one. Still nothing has changed except population has increased, thus putting even more stress on the little resources these countries have. Why does the population increase?....because they are in constant receipt of foreign aid.
Foreign aid is no different in many respects to western countries benefit system/food stamps et all.

Before anyone says they can see what's coming and say I am in favour of some sort of Agenda 21/transhuman type thing....nothing could be further from the truth.

Some facts about the Philippines....Manila is THE most densely populated city in the world. In the top 50 most densely populated cities the Philippines has 11. It has the worlds worst record for child prostitution where parents will sell their children just to make sure they are fed. WTF! It has 6 hour traffic jams...constantly. The Philippines also has one of the worlds worst disparity between the have's and have not's. This is no 'get at the Filipinos' either, these are just some of the facts.

I see the whole disaster as some sort of act of god....in my case an act of mother earth. Until we stop providing direct funding, and actually start doing more practical/hands on things, nothing will ever ever change in these kind of countries. With a change in attitude to economic aid where it is used directly in teaching/educating people to be involved in its own infrastructure, in this case better weather resistant housing for example. Until the disparity between the have's and have not's is addressed, nothing will change.

Imagine yourself along with a group of people shipwrecked on a tropical island, you all work together to build shelter and find food. I know it's a bit far fetched, and eventually we come to the arguments of 'tribal' in fighting. The point I am trying to make is this, until the common man starts working as a group to help each other, take responsibility and look for solutions within the parameters they are presented with in their locale, nothing will change, everything will just repeat itself and in the meantime the problem just gets worse.

In E. F. Schumacher book Small is Beautiful....there are many lessons to be learned. Unfortunately, us the 'small' man, stand guilty of handing over our freedoms and allowing globalisation to the benefit of the 1% elite. Does anybody here really believe that the people directly affected are going to have a better standard of living from the aid pouring in for this disaster? The only people benefiting from this will be the fat cat's and their bank balances.

As Einstein once said "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
That applies to people who are in receipt of government benefits, people who are affected by acts of mother nature and most importantly to the people who do wield the purse strings and the ability to stop repeating the same mistakes....unfortunately the last group who do hold the power are the insane Einstein is alluding to, and we as mere citizens stand guilty of the same insanity of granting them that power over us.

My heart goes out to all Filipinos world wide who have been affected by this unprecedented weather event.

Rainbows
Jane

On this thread....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rainbows
Jane

Before stating something as a "fact", you should post a link to back it up like this STUDY on child prostitution which makes your statements on the Philippines a made up "fact" and is actually just your opinion.

edit on 12-11-2013 by intrepid because: Vulgarity removed.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

If it wasn't for you unnecessarily swearing and name calling, I would have bothered to look up the report I found for you. However seeing as the Philippines appears in the one you linked to it's moot anyhow
Have a good day
edit on 12-11-2013 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by marhaba

If it wasn't for you unnecessarily swearing and name calling, I would have bothered to look up the report I found for you. However seeing as the Philippines appears in the one you linked to it's moot anyhow
Have a good day
edit on 12-11-2013 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

Yeah it is listed but you putting it as THE WORST in the world when the US percentage is even higher and Thailand over the top? You're a native english speaker unlike me, you should be able to quantify what it mean.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reject

they should abandon that island because, one time, it just inexplicably flooded even when there was no rain at all.

Just turn the island into an entirely uninhabited forest off limits to humans, maybe that's what nature has been trying to tell mankind.

I agree!

I do assume you were talking about Manhattan? After it, it too got hit by a tropical cyclone

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

As you claim your english is not your native tongue, then I suggest you go look up the name you just called me.
You might find exactly how insulting, crude and disgusting you have been. For that reason I no longer wish to engage you in any further conversation on here.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by marhaba

As you claim your english is not your native tongue, then I suggest you go look up the name you just called me.
You might find exactly how insulting, crude and disgusting you have been. For that reason I no longer wish to engage you in any further conversation on here.

Okay i just did, i thought it was the feminine for TWIT. So much for english...
At the least, i did not insult a whole country.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I've been to Manila a number of times, and I've never sat in traffic jams like you describe. The only thing I ever saw was the disconnect between have and have not.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

AndyMayhew

reject

I agree!

I do assume you were talking about Manhattan? After it, it too got hit by a tropical cyclone

Did manhattan ever flood inexplicably when there was no rain?

That's not even the worst calamity the island had in the relatively recent past.

They should take a cue from nature.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Over 10,000 people now dead, the whole country just about is flattened this really is awful, suprised it isn't getting more attention.

They really need the worlds help!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

DigitalKid
Over 10,000 people now dead, the whole country just about is flattened this really is awful, suprised it isn't getting more attention.

They really need the worlds help!
Its not the whole country that was eviscerated; just a couple islands.

For perspective, the Philippines is an archipelago with about 7,100 islands.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

And who's going to pay to move them? I know the people living there can't afford to. They can't even afford things we consider necessities, like a refrigerator.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They have a government.

It should protect its people and not let them live in a very dangerous "geohazardous" area known to kill people wholesale repetitively.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

And have you ever looked at the Philippine government? They make corrupt look normal. After Marcos looted their treasury and stole basically everything from them in the 80s, the government there is barely in better shape than the people you want them to move.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join