It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Rorschach Symbolism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Could Google's use of Rorschach's have hidden meaning? First a little on symbolism and the subject of Rorschach inkblot test.

Symbolism:

the art or practice of using symbols especially by investing things with a symbolic meaning or by expressing the invisible or intangible by means of visible or sensuous representations: as
a : artistic imitation or invention that is a method of revealing or suggesting immaterial, ideal, or otherwise intangible truth or states
b : the use of conventional or traditional signs in the representation of divine beings and spirits

Rorschach Inkblot Test:

The Rorschach test (German pronunciation: [ˈʁoːɐʃax]; also known as the Rorschach inkblot test, the Rorschach technique, or simply the inkblot test) is a psychological test in which subjects' perceptions of inkblots are recorded and then analyzed using psychological interpretation, complex algorithms, or both. Some psychologists use this test to examine a person's personality characteristics and emotional functioning. It has been employed to detect underlying thought disorder, especially in cases where patients are reluctant to describe their thinking processes openly.[3] The test is named after its creator, Swiss psychologist Hermann Rorschach.

LINK TO 'RORSCHACH TEST' WIKIPEDIA

The Rorschach inkblot test was/is used to collect psychological data from subjects, and google is currently under a gag order thus providing incentive to use esoteric methods of communication.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

Do you have a link of Google's use of such?

I'd be better able to comment, then.

My Rorschach test cards got lost with my other tests at the time of my last move across the Pacific. But they were always a kick to use regardless of their arguable validity for the purposes stated.

A more statistical, rigorous scoring system was developed just before I graduated from my PhD program. Some claimed it upped the validity enormously. Others argued with that. IIRC, there seemed to be some validity on some personality traits but I don't recall particularly which ones.

I usually only did test batteries because of some institutional requirement. And in virtually every case, the test battery only told me things I'd already surmised or observed.

The HOUST/TREE/PERSON drawing test was as much fun as the Rorschach. The TAT with it's ancient cards was a bit of a kick, too.

But mostly they were all more of a bother than they were useful, imho.

Could Google be signaling something with the Rorschach images? Yeah. Quite possibly. Though the profession has tried vigorously to prevent wide-spread publishing of the card images to help prevent degradation of their usefulness because of too much public exposure.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Just go to google, it's the illustration of their search engine today.

I like it how they mixed in pictures of cats and dinosaurs within all the other pictures of genitalia, my mom, and that time I was caught stealing candy and got oh so punished.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Yes, the link can be found at GOOGLE

Or, you can examine the following article; this thread assumes the date was fortuitous timing and used as a cover.

Sorry about that.

reply to post by Aleister

It is funny that you mention that; most of the "inkblots" actually appear to be political in nature (yes, some inkblots ARE supposed to look like something depending on the nature of the test and scenario. If this is a symbolic statement, the political nature of the inkblots begins to make sense.)
edit on 8-11-2013 by teachtaire because: another reply

www.engadget.com...
edit on 8-11-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2013 by teachtaire because: they aren't technically inkblots or even pictures of inkblots. I am not a pipe.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Thanks.

Interesting.

IIRC the Google ink blots are NOT the actual Rorschach cards. Some are similar but they are really not the same images.

I didn't notice any great scheme that I could attach to the Google images. Guess I need to read the article.

But for now. . . . back to bed.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Test cards aren't what you make them out to be...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Please explain what I'm missing.

What did I make them out to be?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

These things take years if not decades to learn; there is no way in hell I'm going to make a wall of text with actual reputable sources that no-one will read anyway.

*You made the tests seem predefined and set in stone. This is not the case.
edit on 8-11-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Uhhhhh . . . I was well trained in Rorschach administration and interpretation and got praise from my profs and supervisors accordingly.

However, it's been more than 30 years since I've used it and my Rorschach cards were lost in my move across the Pacific to Asia . . . along with the rest of my test battery and reference texts.

If your only options are to communicate essentially nothing . . . or a wall of text, I guess I don't need to expect a meaningful answer from you any further as to what you were saying about my responses re the images.

Sigh.

I would think that you could select an example of what you were referring to without a wall of text.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Lol, okay whatever you say internet dude. Inkblots aren't tarot or baseball cards for Pete's sake; they are usually custom made.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I don't know where you learned about Rorschach . . . but that's the most absurd thing I ever heard of.

When I was trained and dealing with them, they were a VERY STANDARD set of cards.

Some of them had knick names in the profession, in fact. I won't divulge them as it would distort their use.

The STANDARDIZED computer scoring program REQUIRED the original standard cards.

I've never heard of ANYTHING ELSE BUT the original standard cards created by Rorschach himself.

If the profession has gone that direction, it's news to me and I'm very behind the times. I'm skeptical.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
OK pretty much all I'm getting is:

Bats
    Vampire like figures with black cloaks
    2 dwarfs holding hands
    A wig
    A cake with eyes and a nose

What the heck does that mean?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Here's the Wiki Rorschach article:

en.wikipedia.org...

Interestingly, they post all 10 authentic cards.

Those are the only Rorschach cards that I'm familiar with.

Those are the only cards I'm aware of that are considered authentic Rorschach cards.

I learned a fair amount of the Beck system but never considered myself solidly proficient at it without constantly referring to his manual.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

LOL. I don't have my Beck manual nor the cards and have long forgotten the details of the system.

I know that seeing TEXTURE is unusual and a significant psychodynamic issue.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Here is an article regarding the possible motives. IDK if it is a good source or not, tbqh.

Link to article

Here is a quote taken from the google+ account in question.

If you followed me today because of my exasperated comments about the NSA, or simply because you appreciate a good Tolkien analogy and see the actions of the US government with respect to user privacy as problematic and want to do something about it , let me recommend a few places where you can put your money where your mouth is:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation:

These guys are on the front lines fighting against bad or misinformed legislation, defending people whose lives are destroyed by same, or just agitating for changing a broken system. They have real lawyers who win real cases, up to and including before the Supreme Court. Read up on what they do for yourself, and support them:

supporters.eff.org...

The American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU has a much broader portfolio than the EFF, but they have badass lawyers who have done a lot to try to fight things like the Patriot Act.

www.aclu.org...

The Edward Snowden legal defense fund

Edward Snowden is the man who was willing to see his own life ruined to bring to light the illegality, abuses of power, and general lack of oversight of the large states surveilling their own citizens.

I think the guy is a hero; even if you think he's a punk, it's hard to argue he hasn't changed the shape of the debate about this issue for years to come.

I think he deserves a pardon; until then, his legal defense fund is the next best thing:

freesnowden.is...

edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: link to "brandon downey" google+

Now if I could only attach this to the main post for the goldfish.
edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: feeding some chickens

here is more:

This is the big story in tech today:

washingtonpost.com

I'm just going to post my thoughts on this. Standard disclaimer: They are my own thoughts, and not those of my employer.

# these guys.

I've spent the last ten years of my life trying to keep Google's users safe and secure from the many diverse threats Google faces.

I've seen armies of machines DOS-ing Google. I've seen worms DOS'ing Google to find vulnerabilities in other people's software. I've seen criminal gangs figure out malware. I've seen spyware masquerading as toolbars so thick it breaks computers because it interferes with the other spyware.

I've even seen oppressive governments use state sponsored hacking to target dissidents.

But even though we suspected this was happening, it still makes me terribly sad. It makes me sad because I believe in America.

Not in that flag-waving bull# we've-got-our-big-trucks-and-bigger-tanks sort of way, but in the way that you can looked a good friend who has a lot of flaws, but every time you meet him, you think, "That guy still has some good ideas going on".

But after spending all that time helping in my tiny way to protect Google -- one of the greatest things to arise from the internet -- seeing this, well, it's just a little like coming home from War with Sauron, destroying the One Ring, only to discover the NSA is on the front porch of the Shire chopping down the Party Tree and outsourcing all the hobbit farmers with half-orcs and whips.

The US has to be better than this; but I guess in the interim, that security job is looking a lot more like a Sisyphus thing than ever.

Also of note, this article from September may call some recent technical decisions into relief:

washingtonpost.com

Just because some account posted this doesn't mean they're real however.

edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: fixing links

He alludes to the "All Seeing Eye" through the use of Tolkien, this may or may not support another thread of mine regarding Google's Halloween theme.
edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: link to sister thread

edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: ext. link to Brandon Downey

PLEASE NOTE: I, the poster, do not endorse the support of any "charitable" actions. Many of these organizations fail to distribute funds as promised. So if one of you goes and donates on some link and finds out there was fraud involved, don't come back whining to me.
edit on 9-11-2013 by teachtaire because: blah

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is yet another article which provides more insight: belfastte legraph.co.uk

It seems like more people should be talking about this.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What does it mean if I think Hermann Rorschach looks like Brad Pitt?

Å99

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Does Brad Pitt have genetic engineers saying "We made him, and he is a clone"?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

teachtaire
reply to post by akushla99

Does Brad Pitt have genetic engineers saying "We made him, and he is a clone"?

Well, I don't know...but he sure looks like Hermann Rorschach...that's no joke...so the link I made, and you just made, might not be unrelated...would be interesting to put both thier photos into one of those internet photo blenders...get back to me on it...

Å99

top topics

join