It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNBC - Young Obamacare Supporter Whining - Told Ya So

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

BobM88
reply to post by GenerationGap

I'm very happy to be the first to give a star to your response. Well said, sir.

Thank you for that. While the reply may have seemed cold, I do pity those with the serf mentality. In my mind they are already enslaved to fear. So many people are afraid of the hurt in life, the failures of life, the hardness of life that they are willing to give up everything if some one promises they can make life never hurt or hurt a little less. I believe this is why they beg for "free". They fear one day life will hit them hard, yet again, and instead of getting back into the grind they fear they will just want to give up, but they would like to keep all the "entitlements" they had when things were good. Perhaps they have already given up, that is sad indeed.

As for me, I don't fear not having health care. If I can not afford the services of a doctor, I will find a way, on my own, to take care and search out happiness. When I die, I know I will have died free of another man's demands upon my life. I will have lived the way I decided to live. I will celebrate, as I do now, my life, work, family and even my failures. In fact, I'm most thankful for the hardest times of my life, and there have been many, because they spurred in me a resolve that helped to carry me to where I now find myself. I could die tomorrow of cancer and know I have left no debts on my soul. I've never lived rich, and at points went to bed with nothing in my stomach, but I've never been envious of those who do live rich. Most of the rich in my mind are slaves themselves; they fixate on gold and jewels. I contend that there are days they think about how great life could be if they were not so addicted wealth; I contend there are more days a rich man wishes he could have had my life than days I wished I had his. The people in my life see me as a free spirit; because they know I am perfectly content with who I am, what I have built, and what I am building right now. I have made mistakes for sure, I even have numerous regrets, but it is through my mistakes and regrets that tomorrow I know I will be better at finding happiness underneath all the hurt; and I find happiness all the time. And with that I find contentment; I find freedom; I find liberty.

Even as a man with very little to my name I don't have to ask someone to give that to me or subsidize my efforts; and yet it's the most priceless item on planet Earth.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

elouina
Sheez... You are trying to tell us all here that $1000 in 1984 is worth $450 today? LOL.... LOL... I could buy a HUGE order (heaping cart with 1/4 meats) of groceries for $50. The newspaper was $1.25 a week. The phone bill was $10.50 a month. The cable bill was $7 a month. I could eat a breakfast in a restaurant (2 eggs, toast, homefries) for 99 cents. And the 3 month sewage bill was $9. We rented 1/2 a duplex house for $275, which included gas and electric. Do you realize that our health insurance cost was not much different than what we paid to live? It WAS a lot! Do I need to continue? LOL.... LOL...

So please do tell me, how much that 99 cent breakfast would cost today with your rationale. I am very curious... LOL...

And may I ask how a $17,000 health insurance bill can be an, "inconvenience" for any middle class person? Are you friggin nuts?

No. If you go purely by the rates of inflation $1000 in 1984 is worth more along the lines of $2200 today. At a similar burden, that's what they would pay. Where you seem to be getting confused is where I bring up that people make relatively less money today for their work. This isn't counted in CPI but is a real part of inflation. Minimum wage in 1984 was $3.35/hour. A monthly cable bill using your numbers took 2 hours, 5 minutes, 22 seconds of work to pay for (less if you made more money). Today a cable bill (estimating here based on my last cable bill, I haven't had cable for around 8 years now) is $100 or so I'm told. At a $7.45 wage that's 13 hours, 25 minutes, 22 seconds of work. Nearly 6.5x more work is needed for the same service. Everything else you mentioned has also gotten more expensive in terms of needing more hours of work to pay for the service. In 1984 your labor had about 5x more purchasing power, if labor had equal purchasing power minus inflation it would be like you only paid $200 for those 3 months of care rather than $1000. Once you adjust it to todays values you would come up with $450. Perhaps it would make more sense to you if the 5x were a multiplier on todays value rather than a divider on yesterdays in which case your $1000 then would be the same as $11,000 today.

As for it being an inconvenience, I know plenty of middle class people (I'm not one myself, and likely never will be) they do things like spend several hundred thousand on houses, buy luxury SUV's, buy designer brand puppies, new top of the line gaming computers every 6 months, and eat out for all three meals every day. Clearly the middle class has plenty of money to burn if they're able to spend $12,000 a year on computer equipment, $16,000 on restaurants, $12,000 on car payments, and so on. So yes, I do call someone just having to cut back on a bit of that in order to carry actual health insurance that doesn't bankrupt the system an inconvenience. You yourself mentioned earlier in this thread how much money you casually throw around on just your health insurance before Obamacare. That amount happened to be more than I and many others like me have to live on for an entire year.

Some people (including you it seems) do not realize how good they have it. I say that as I type this with all the lights off in my apartment and no heat as I can't afford to run either.

And before you say I'm just wanting to take from those with more money, I'm not. Everyone should pay... that's actually what I expected Obama to do. I expected the person who was paying 30% in taxes to now be paying 40%, and I expected the person who was paying 20% to now be paying 27%. The billing system that's currently in place was thought out very poorly. You can't have a system that covers everyone at all times that only some people are actually paying into.
edit on 8-11-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

SJE98
reply to post by elouina

My in laws cost just went up to 17,676 per year. And this little **#*! Is complaining !
My father in law had drop him self off the coverage from Blue Cross, he now goes to the VA,.still better than the Aca bronze plan . My mother in law is covered under BlueCross but at 8,400 per year about 700 per month.

I'm really PO 'd at this ACA . wait until her parents get a bill for 17k per year , bet she is cut off fast.

I just wanted to quote this post for the sake of the $ COST... $17,676......... to some that is nearly all they will make a year, and ...YES I understand the poor will recieve subsidies to help themselves pay. But it seems the only way for some to make it will be to find some ailment that will allow full time hospitalization so they can have a roof over their heads and three meals a day., or get put in jail for the same support

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Do you notice in this video they never talk about the fact she can pay the 95 dollar fine and continue doing what she is doing ?

Young people will just blame this on old folks like they do social security payments even though a large part of the people they are paying for are not old at all there young and have existing illness's.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

I have only one thing to add to your magnificent epic.

Our ancestors also likely knew that if they got envious of their neighbors or allowed their neighbors greed and envy to affect them to the extent they allowed legalized theft, it could kill. They lived that much on the edge.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I don't disagree, but this is a product of several things:

1.) Government policies chasing business out of the country.

2.) Labor demands making it unprofitable to do business in the country.

3.) A public attitude that you must have a degree combined with a glut of degrees that are simply worthless combined with an attitude in graduates that they need to go into certain fields like nonprofits, so they get "studies" degrees.

4.) Fed monetary policy that is steadily devaluing the dollar.

Our so-called "betters" are actively working against us, and I've seen articles that suggest there's no hope for any improvement until 2017 implying that things won't change until we have a change to put a new administration in office.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Gee, thanks, we're not living anywhere near like you describe and yet we're paying more than we can afford now and we haven't been hit yet by Obamacare. That will almost certainly happen next year.

Why should we take even more food off our already lean table (I usually skip one meal everyday and sometimes two) just so you can feel better than we're all paying more because you don't have much as it is?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

sean
Under this health care fiasco, businesses by law have to offer health care to people that make over 40 hours a week. Guess what will happen? Not only are you forced to pay more in health care costs you now will probably lose your full time work and have to survive on part time work. Are you feeling it yet? Welcome to slave America. You're going to need health care alright because you are going to work yourself to death just to pay for all this.

Welcome to slave America indeed, but this isn't new.

Just new owners who like to "streamline" the facility to maximize profits by cutting expenses.

Would foreign owners care at all about the well being of American families?
Then why have we allowed foreign ownership of anything?

If you don't own it you are controllable by someone else owning what you need.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

You're smoking something if you think domestic ownership would be any more sanguine when faced with the same choice.

Husband works for a foreign owned big business and I work for a domestic owned small business. He's got a better shot at keeping his health care than any of the workers where I work.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

and she will be one to opt out by paying the fine er tax penitently, all she will have to pay is 99$ or half her tax refund, one less covered but the good news is the more some one else has to pay.
edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201308 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

damwel
...these are lies about obamacare made up to try and limit the success of a winning president.

Congratulations. You have made the most ridiculous comment of the day. I am still shaking my head in amazement.

Poor Obama. If we just weren't so gosh-darn mean that we had to make up lies about him, we would all see what a WINNER he is! He's just dreamy!

He was reelected, but we are ALL losing.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Aazadan

sulaw
reply to post by kozmo

Seriously, people flipping burgers asking and protesting to make 15 bucks an hour!!! Get a real skill, better yourself and don't expect anything, because when you do, you DESERVE a punch to the face with a reality check stating "YOU DESERVED THAT".

You do realize that from 1950 to 1980 (slightly less so as you get closer to 1980) someone working full time as a burger flipper making minimum wage made so much money they could own a house, pay for college out of pocket, eat like a king, have health insurance, and have a little bit of money left over for recreation.

That is how far minimum wage has declined.

Were you working in that time period? Because I had a minimum wage job (fast food) in high school in the 80s and made very little money. But since I was a TEENAGER, that was okay. I'm pretty sure no one was living it up like you described on the money I made at my fast food job.

My first real job (teaching school) paid so poorly that I had to get a second job waiting tables until I got married and then we had 2 small incomes that barely paid the bills. We struggled to make ends meet, and didn't have expensive cable or cell phones, etc.

Being young and starting out has NEVER been easy. Difference is, we didn't expect it to be luxurious. We've worked hard.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Battleline
reply to post by elouina

Do you notice in this video they never talk about the fact she can pay the 95 dollar fine and continue doing what she is doing ?

Young people will just blame this on old folks like they do social security payments even though a large part of the people they are paying for are not old at all there young and have existing illness's.

But she wants her free stuff, darn it. Oh and the fine will be $95 for few. It is a minimum of $95 and is 1% of income in 2014, 2% ($325 min) in 2015 and 2.5% ($695 min) in 2016. If she makes 45,000, she will be paying $875 in 2016. If she makes 35,000, she will be paying $695 in 2016.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Aazadan

Snip

As for it being an inconvenience, I know plenty of middle class people (I'm not one myself, and likely never will be) they do things like spend several hundred thousand on houses, buy luxury SUV's, buy designer brand puppies, new top of the line gaming computers every 6 months, and eat out for all three meals every day. Clearly the middle class has plenty of money to burn if they're able to spend $12,000 a year on computer equipment, $16,000 on restaurants, $12,000 on car payments, and so on. So yes, I do call someone just having to cut back on a bit of that in order to carry actual health insurance that doesn't bankrupt the system an inconvenience. You yourself mentioned earlier in this thread how much money you casually throw around on just your health insurance before Obamacare. That amount happened to be more than I and many others like me have to live on for an entire year.

Some people (including you it seems) do not realize how good they have it. I say that as I type this with all the lights off in my apartment and no heat as I can't afford to run either.

And before you say I'm just wanting to take from those with more money, I'm not. Everyone should pay... that's actually what I expected Obama to do. I expected the person who was paying 30% in taxes to now be paying 40%, and I expected the person who was paying 20% to now be paying 27%. The billing system that's currently in place was thought out very poorly. You can't have a system that covers everyone at all times that only some people are actually paying into.

I don't even want to get into your screwed up math. Whatever...

But who the heck are you to say what the middle class can afford if you have never been there? So don't go there! Anyone that can afford the things you mentioned are not middle class. Middle class is your average American scraping by and hoping to have something left at retirement. I am middle class, would get zero subsidy, and am ashamed to mention what all we have and how we live after you spewed that nonsense.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

So what you are telling me is that this 28 year old is going to get good health insurance for a pretty low price....but we should all start our two minutes of hate against Obama because this little princess thinks that is too much money?

Any chance you get huh...it's kind of sad.

So let it commence people...two minutes of hate....GO.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Aazadan
Where you seem to be getting confused is where I bring up that people make relatively less money today for their work.

This is a simple economic principle, supply and demand.

The supply of bodies in the workforce increased dramatically in the 80's and even more so in the 90's. As the supply of bodies in the workforce increased, the demand for individuals decreased lowering the value of the worker. The supply of qualified and trained workers nearly doubled in those 20 years. What happens to oil when there's no shortages? The price goes down. Same thing happens in the workforce. It's not right or wrong, it's simple reality.

Women entered the work force in droves. Good for them. That is their right. But to have thought the newly careered women would ever be paid as much as men was a pipe dream; a promise by the lords of the land that would never be, could never be. Women would never make as much as men, but equal pay would be dealt; the men would make as much the women. This is simply economics. If equal pay is your desire, equal pay is what you will receive. Women no longer have the choice of whether or not to work if they want their children to be raised in a family that can benefit the children financially; we now need two sources of income in the family to get by the way used to be able to get by on one earner. For a short time double income families did well, but economics caught up and now a double income family is required to simply get by comfortably. If either one loses the income, things get tight real quick. We have enslaved our women to the profits of other men and women.

Men never had the choice, men had to work because men were physiologically built for labor. It is an aspect of evolution that can not be denied by the honest among us. A man who didn't work was considered a dead beat lazy a-hole and effectively marginalized by society. Now women are in the same boat; they must work or be marginalized.

Women argued for equal pay, and the pied piper delivered; now men make the same as women. We have our equality; we are now equally paid the same amount less for doing the same job someone did in 1984; about 40% less in fact. Awesome. See where blindly following the pied piper with out considering the obvious ramifications but rather only listening to the piper's empty promises because it produces better feelings leads to? As a society we need to stop basing our choices in emotion and fear of offense; let logic, truth, and hard honesty decide the way. A swindler can use emotion against you every time, but logic, truth, and honesty defeat the swindler every single time.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

AlienScience
reply to post by elouina

So what you are telling me is that this 28 year old is going to get good health insurance for a pretty low price....but we should all start our two minutes of hate against Obama because this little princess thinks that is too much money?

Any chance you get huh...it's kind of sad.

So let it commence people...two minutes of hate....GO.

I don't hate her, I am just telling this naive young girl, I told you so. She represents all the young people that I forewarned to read the ACA before they voted. The very people that insulted me, and said I was full of doo doo. Why? because it was going to be FREE! "You are wrong, Obama said it was gonna be free". And another fallacy? "I won't have to take my all inclusive insurance at work at a whopping $36 every 2 weeks, I will get free Obamacare instead". (Under Obamacare, they do have to take their work plan or pay a fine, and their work plan WAS a deal.)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Thank You!!! Exactly!!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
BUT! but....healthcare is a human right!

Right....to what cost and to who?

Liberals never ask where the cash comes from.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

And conservatives never have alternative solutions

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join