It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid: 'Everybody Willing to Pay More' Taxes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by IAMTAT

At least in my opinion certain taxes, especially consuming ones (sales tax) should be raised significantly. The problem in US is overconsuming largely due to the consumer prices (food, clothes, tech, gas etc) already being extremely low compared to salaries.
edit on 25-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

You have obviously never been to the united states if you think the majority of the people here are "over payed" and can easily afford anything their heart desires.

WOW. just wow.

yes we all just have loads of cash laying around.

People in Europe live on another planet or something.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

Cabin
In my current country for example people pay 21% income tax , 33% social security (employer pays on the income, so a total of 133% of my salary is the cost for my monthly employment for the company) , 3% unemployment insurance tax, 2% pension fund, 20% sales tax and these are among the lowest in EU.

The average net salary after taxes is 12k a year. Just a few examples of average prices. While certain prices are lower here, consuming costs a lot.

Gas - 7,3 dollars per liter
Jeans (medium - Levis etc) - 130 dollars
Pair of shoes (Nike etc) - 130 dollars
Utitilities costs (water, electricity, garbage, heating) for 900 square feet apartment - 270 dollars a month (1/3 higher cost compared to Illinois based on Numbeo)
Latest i-Phone - 1300 dollars
Rent - 500-1000 a month (3 bedroom apartment) depending on area where you live, 1 bedroom costs 250-500)
Food is slightly lower price in US, although not significantly (10-20%), although if compared to cheaper places in US like Walmart it costs more.
200 mbit internet with 100 channel TV- roughly 60 dollars a month- I dont know others, that is the one im using.
Cell phone - my costs - for 13 dollars a month I get unlimited internet, unlimited calls within same provider network, 4 cents a minute to other networks.

Americans do not have money laying around, although largely it comes from bad spending habits. Getting the latest tech, lots of pairs of clothes, in no other advanced nation people eat so much outside from home. Taking cars even for shorter trips, nearly every trip. Round here, to be honest, most people get by quite well. Most people can not afford eating outside a lot, so basically everybody cooks their meals at home. People walk, use public transport more, as gas costs quite a lot. Most people (at least the ones I know) do not bother taking a car for a one mile or shorter trip. There is far less debt compred to US. Credit cards are very uncommon, as people don´t like taking debt. It is not hard to get by with such salary (although I earn very well compared to average person round here), you just need to take a look at your expenses and not waste your money on pointless things a´la lots of sodas, snacks, lots of eating outside home, ordering food etc. Getting TV to every room, more than one car per family are not widespread, maybe 1/4 of households, if not less

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

His reasoning is a bit off..

If everyone is willing to pay more in taxes then why are the Democrats pushing for government subsidies for themselves and staffers when it comes to Obama Care?

I really think it is time the American people push the reset button on our own government and vote these idiots out of office.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

IAMTAT
Is Harry Reid speaking the truth? Is EVERYONE really willing to pay more taxes?

The dude is bat crap crazy.
How about government learn to SPEND MORE WISELY.
Then we could probably actually lower taxes.

Hey Harry ... keep your dang dirty paws out of my wallet!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by IAMTAT

His reasoning is a bit off..

If everyone is willing to pay more in taxes then why are the Democrats pushing for government subsidies for themselves and staffers when it comes to Obama Care?

I really think it is time the American people push the reset button on our own government and vote these idiots out of office.

They're not idiots, we are the idiots who allow them to stay in office. You see, it is easy to tell everyone else to pay more taxes when the Israeli government pays taxes for you. Reid, Pelosi, et al, get boatloads of money from Israel, our laundered tax money sent back to PACs, political action committees, and doled out to our government lackeys to further the zionist programs. The country was conquered quite a while ago.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

IAMTAT
Is Harry Reid speaking the truth? Is EVERYONE really willing to pay more taxes?
I know I'm not willing to. Our taxes have been raised to the point that we're considering moving.

I think most people would be willing to pay more in taxes depending on what the taxes would be used for. If they can personally profit off the taxes or the taxes are used in a manner that meets some of their social views, then they would likely support it.

The social views could be anything from health care to invading Islam dominated countries.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
3 words for Harry

OUT
OF
TOUCH

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Apparently, EVERYONE (except radical Republicans) is not only is "Willing" to pay more taxes...We "WANT" to pay more.
Really? Send in the men in white coats!

“The only people who feel there shouldn't be more coming in to the federal government from the rich people are the Republicans in the Congress,” Reid said. “Everybody else, including the rich people, are willing to pay more. They want to pay more.
-Harry Reid

www.bizpacreview.com...
edit on 26-10-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

six67seven
3 words for Harry

OUT
OF
TOUCH

OUT
TO
LUNCH

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Harry Reid says that taxation is voluntary. Does that mean I don't have to pay?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The middle class is already over-burdened with taxes in so many ways: property taxes, state taxes, federal taxes, liquor taxes, tabacco tax, firearms and ammo tax, registration/drivers license renewal fees which essentially is a tax, inheritance tax, and stuff I cant think of now.

The tax code needs to be arranged so that the highest bracket starts at $500k and reclassify downwards appropriately. $250 is upper middle class imo.

Why are we even in this mess harry reid? Do the constant bailouts and wars mean anything to you? What the hell has quantative easing accomplished other than transfering wealth to big business so they can offshore and automate more? 5 trillion with absolutely nothing to show for it; official unemployment is 9% and unofficially it should be about 30% considering all the part-timers dont count.

Paying taxes while the government kisses big business arse sounds tyrannical to me. Lower the tax rates on everyone, and get money by hitting business with tariffs on asian imports. Also tax wall street transactions by .5% for starters.

Hit the really rich folks who can afford to pay more and #ing dont!
edit on 26/10/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: minor correction

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Great topic! Wish I had thought of it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Search function not working?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And that is the biggest problem, when you spend somebody else money without accountability, is easier to commit fraud, we go to jail for that, the government make the laws to keep themselves out of jail, for stealing the working class money in the name of taxes.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
ATTENTION...
Please continue discussion HERE:
(...and if you gave this thread a Flag...Please remove it from this thread...and give it HERE: www.abovetopsecret.com...)

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Did you notice that little link I put in my post? It stated in black and white the tax percentages under each president

But it didn't jive with what every one of you are complaining about so you move the goalposts and add in other factors that really have no bearing. So you know what? never mind

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by Mikeyy

Cabin
In my current country for example people pay 21% income tax , 33% social security (employer pays on the income, so a total of 133% of my salary is the cost for my monthly employment for the company) , 3% unemployment insurance tax, 2% pension fund, 20% sales tax and these are among the lowest in EU.

The average net salary after taxes is 12k a year. Just a few examples of average prices. While certain prices are lower here, consuming costs a lot.

Gas - 7,3 dollars per liter
Jeans (medium - Levis etc) - 130 dollars
Pair of shoes (Nike etc) - 130 dollars
Utitilities costs (water, electricity, garbage, heating) for 900 square feet apartment - 270 dollars a month (1/3 higher cost compared to Illinois based on Numbeo)
Latest i-Phone - 1300 dollars
Rent - 500-1000 a month (3 bedroom apartment) depending on area where you live, 1 bedroom costs 250-500)
Food is slightly lower price in US, although not significantly (10-20%), although if compared to cheaper places in US like Walmart it costs more.
200 mbit internet with 100 channel TV- roughly 60 dollars a month- I dont know others, that is the one im using.
Cell phone - my costs - for 13 dollars a month I get unlimited internet, unlimited calls within same provider network, 4 cents a minute to other networks.

Americans do not have money laying around, although largely it comes from bad spending habits. Getting the latest tech, lots of pairs of clothes, in no other advanced nation people eat so much outside from home. Taking cars even for shorter trips, nearly every trip. Round here, to be honest, most people get by quite well. Most people can not afford eating outside a lot, so basically everybody cooks their meals at home. People walk, use public transport more, as gas costs quite a lot. Most people (at least the ones I know) do not bother taking a car for a one mile or shorter trip. There is far less debt compred to US. Credit cards are very uncommon, as people don´t like taking debt. It is not hard to get by with such salary (although I earn very well compared to average person round here), you just need to take a look at your expenses and not waste your money on pointless things a´la lots of sodas, snacks, lots of eating outside home, ordering food etc. Getting TV to every room, more than one car per family are not widespread, maybe 1/4 of households, if not less

Different parts of Europe have different costs of living. The Scandinavian countries are like living in Alaska, where everything has to be imported. A can or bottle of Coke or Pepsi costs £2.50 or $3.75. But energy is cheap as apartment blocks have communal central heating systems. Electricity bills are £50/quarter, and mobile phone bill is £160/quarter (for having internet/data service). Basic cable/internet service is free or baked into the rent which is £1400/month. A basic food bill for one person is around £80/week.

In the UK, electricity is £300/quarter, and rents are £800/£1000 month (Edinburgh), while food is around £60/week for one person. On top of that is the council tax which is £1400/year.

If you live in an urban area of the UK, you can get by with public transport. In Edinburgh a bus pass would cost around £60/month. But in London, a season ticket for the train network would cost around £6000/quarter.
I knew people in Warwickshire who needed four cars because there were no bus services. It's the same in the rural areas of Scotland. Every adult needed a car for the most basic things.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

bozzchem
Great topic!

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join