It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The majority thinks Christians are judgemental and stupid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

ketsuko
I think it is somewhat possible that some people who call themselves unbelievers can actually feel God without knowing it and wind up saved through accident more than design, but I think far it more possible that if they are feeling the call and feeling God inside, then they will wind up some kind of believer. I also think it possible that people of other faiths might also wind up feeling God, hearing His call and ascribe Him to their own deity/deities. However, I think the clearest, easiest communication God made as to the way, the Truth, and the Light was through Christ, His teachings and His sacrifice.

So how do you know that you aren't feeling the presence of another religion's deity and ascribing it to your own God?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I have never tried to shove my religion down anyone's throat.

And never had anyone try and shove religion down mine.

The closest I ever came to that was the Jehovah's witnesses, and I invited them in, because i was curious and I enjoyed our conversations, and I became one, then I dissociated myself from them.

I can honestly say I can't remember anyone forcing me to listen to them, since my mother.

I understand that I am making blanket statements about the religion, but keep in mind I am not singling anyone out here. I am speaking about the religion as a whole. I've been preached to many times before on this site and while going about my business in life.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

There is God. Why do you think He doesn't have a name?

Christ was a symbol as much as He was a man, but He as still God.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I think it is somewhat possible that some people who call themselves unbelievers can actually feel God without knowing it and wind up saved through accident more than design,

I was thinking something similar the other day, that many atheist pray everyday, and don't realize it.

Because prayer comes in many forms.

A couple years ago I was very sick for quite a while, I asked my husband a question sort of already knew the answer.

My husband is an atheist and one of the best men I have ever known, moral and genuine.

I looked at him and said, honey will you pray for me?

He said.

" Get Real."

LOL it still makes me laugh.

But I could never refuse a loved one something as simple as a prayer, it doesn't cost a thing, I can't help but think he did pray in some way that day.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Stormdancer777

I have never tried to shove my religion down anyone's throat.

And never had anyone try and shove religion down mine.

The closest I ever came to that was the Jehovah's witnesses, and I invited them in, because i was curious and I enjoyed our conversations, and I became one, then I dissociated myself from them.

I can honestly say I can't remember anyone forcing me to listen to them, since my mother.

I understand that I am making blanket statements about the religion, but keep in mind I am not singling anyone out here. I am speaking about the religion as a whole. I've been preached to many times before on this site and while going about my business in life.

I have most times ignored these religious debates because I know where it leads, lol

I think if you get involved in these sort of topics you are bound to get preached at eventually.

You don't have to answer that knock at the door.

edit on 103131p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Biblical Christians talk funny.

They take on the speech patterns reflected in the Bible; like some how that will make their ideas or feelings more legitimate and believeable.

Verily I say unto you, that's BS.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

ketsuko

There is God. Why do you think He doesn't have a name?

Christ was a symbol as much as He was a man, but He as still God.

Where did I ever say he doesn't have a name? I'm just asking how you know that the god that people of other religions may interact with is definitely the Christian god. It's not like the other religions don't have names for their gods either.

So your argument goes like this:
People from other religions feel the presence of a deity, but they are mistaken and they are really feeling the presence of the Christian god. Conversely, when Christians feel the presence of the divine it is most definitely their god. This is true because the bible says so.

That argument is rather shallow. First there is no proof that any religion is correct. Second the bible is full of contradictions and there is no proof that it is divinely inspired (save for the text within the bible that says it is, ie circular reasoning a logical fallacy). If people truly do feel the divine from time to time, there is no proof one way or the other that the god they are interacting with is the Muslim god, the Christian god, or even one of the Greek Pantheon gods.

Christ was most likely just a man who said some wise and profound things. His followers helped to develop a cult of personality around him that ended up embellishing stories to absurdity until he was literally called the son of God as well as God incarnate (which frankly makes no sense how someone can be the son of something while at the same time also be that something as well).

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

See, I have a hard time saying that because I'm not even sure how it would work because to me it would mean somehow acknowledging it without acknowledging it or feeling it while being in complete innocent ignorance of what it actually was.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Oh I understand that that is an inevitable outcome of participating in these debates (I happen to enjoy these debates), that is why I also said that I've been preached to outside of ATS as well. I don't generally go around throwing my agnosticism in people's faces (unless they ask me my religious preference) so I expect others to do the same in regards to Christianity. Conversely I haven't met any Jews or Muslims that do this and I happen to work with a bunch of them.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by kaylaluv

You know there are gay Christians don't you?

Of course. Like I said, not all Christians are judgmental idiots. But the ones who are (and they DO exist), are very loud in their proclamations of judgments. And they shout these proclamations in Christ's name. And they would tell you that a gay person couldn't really be a Christian, cause if they were, they wouldn't "choose" homosexuality.

It's very similar to the extremist Muslims giving the entire Muslim religion a bad rep. Most Muslims are peaceful people, but so many think "Muslim" means "hateful ones who want to kill all infidels". The peaceful Muslims should really be working harder to protest the extremists, IMHO, just like the non-judgmental Christians should be loudly protesting the judgmental idiots. The squeakiest wheel is the one that gets all the attention, so people tend to forget about the other wheels.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

olaru12

They take on the speech patterns reflected in the Bible; like some how that will make their ideas or feelings more legitimate and believeable.

Is that all?

I love it, it is poetic and I always choose the KJ because I was raised using it.

LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

ketsuko

See, I have a hard time saying that because I'm not even sure how it would work because to me it would mean somehow acknowledging it without acknowledging it or feeling it while being in complete innocent ignorance of what it actually was.

I would say maybe a compassionate thought, what is prayer but thought?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Christians have reformed in many ways, it is no longer like my mother believed.

In fact she would certainly have culture shock.

But I wholeheartedly believe that the world would be a horrible place without them.

If they went backwards then we would have big problems, although in certain cultures, it can get ugly.

If the worse thing they do is witness to you, that's not much to worry about.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Oh I understand that that is an inevitable outcome of participating in these debates (I happen to enjoy these debates), that is why I also said that I've been preached to outside of ATS as well. I don't generally go around throwing my agnosticism in people's faces (unless they ask me my religious preference) so I expect others to do the same in regards to Christianity. Conversely I haven't met any Jews or Muslims that do this and I happen to work with a bunch of them.

Hmmm I must be missing out because no one witness to me, ever.

Let me ask the atheist a question.

If a seriously ill loved one asked you to pray for them would you?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

olaru12

Is that all?

I love it, it is poetic and I always choose the KJ because I was raised using it.

LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him!

The Bible used in a poetic sense is fine...
But I think that you and I both know the reason for the ordinary people talking in "bible speak" is an affectation to appear pious, holy and closer to God and set themselves apart from the rabble and common people. A way to feel special..."I'm one of the chosen" and you're not. I'm calling cheeze....

"Bible speak" is as lame as Creative Anachronist talking in that phony "knights in armor" speak used in everyday conversation. It's stupid!!! As is urban rap vernacular....yo, yo, yo homie sup dog...by suburban white children.
edit on 25-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Probably not. I may say that I will to put the person's mind at ease (no need to cause unnecessary worrying by making the person think I don't care about them), but I'd see no reason to perform an action that would have no effect on the outcome of the illness. If the illness claims that person's life, there was nothing medical science could do (or there was a malpractice problem involved); if the person recovers, then medical science did what it needed to do.

I have a feeling I know where you are going with this, keep in mind that just because I won't pray for someone doesn't mean I don't care about that person's wellbeing. If there is truly nothing I could do to directly improve the person's condition, I will just stand by and support them and hope for the best.

I view prayer in these cases as an attempt by humans to say that they are doing something to help when the outcome of the event is out of their hands. If God exists He doesn't need you to remind him that you care about whatever family member of yours is laying in a hospital bed and want that person to recover.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

olaru12

I wish I could give you all my stars for this comment. If there is one thing that turns me off from Christianity is this horrible pride, superiority complex and bizarre caricaturization of ancient speech patterns and repetitions of words devoid of any true spirituality. Repeating and quoting their favorite idols from the bible over and over again without a hint of true insight or analysis.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The majority thinks Christians are judgemental and stupid

I like your heading, as a stupid judgemental Christian I can only agree with it

Sad state of affairs that God should allow us to represent Him

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Probably not. I may say that I will to put the person's mind at ease (no need to cause unnecessary worrying by making the person think I don't care about them), but I'd see no reason to perform an action that would have no effect on the outcome of the illness. If the illness claims that person's life, there was nothing medical science could do (or there was a malpractice problem involved); if the person recovers, then medical science did what it needed to do.

So, if the person was there and wanted you to pray with them, you wouldn't? Don't you believe in the placebo effect at least?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

lupodigubbio

olaru12

I wish I could give you all my stars for this comment. If there is one thing that turns me off from Christianity is this horrible pride, superiority complex and bizarre caricaturization of ancient speech patterns and repetitions of words devoid of any true spirituality. Repeating and quoting their favorite idols from the bible over and over again without a hint of true insight or analysis.

Where are you people digging up your Christians?! I have never run into folks like these in my entire life.

The closest I have ever come to being witnessed to is a little old lady at a truck stop in Oklahoma who had this beatific smile on her face and simply said to me "Jesus loves you" in passing.

The closest I have ever had to having anyone tell me I will burn in Hell is the subtle disapproval of my in-laws who fit the bill of Holier-than-thou Christian fairly well although on the grand scheme of things, they could be way, way worse than they actually are.

And I've never run into a literal interpretation person or anyone who actually talks like a walking KJV Bible.

And I'm a Christian!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join