It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Life changing decisions do you regret the most after looking back after the years have passed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I regret not listening my inner voice back in 2010, but I'm quite grateful I've waited long enough to control the out come a whole lot better in the future.

Of course everyone all ways better in the future, but so many huge mind boggling obstacles have been overcomed between 2010 and 2013.

Resolution is coming this year, and I await new found freedom.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
not recording 9-11 if only i had put a tape in that day that is another big xxxx up in my life and for the answer why look at my thread on it aaaahhhhhhhh

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Violet, I am so sorry that you had to live through all of that. That man should be in jail for the rest of his life for hurting you so deeply physically and emotionally. My heart goes out to you.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Sounds like you need to pick up a saw or some sandpaper. What are you waiting for?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is a great thread. Thank you for starting it, lwinder!

I regret getting involved in what turned out to be a cult, and consequently leaving my husband on our first wedding anniversary at the dictate of their charismatic leader. My husband and I reunited very quickly and have been married for 11 years now, but to this day, I deeply regret the hurt I caused him because I was under the influence of someone who I allowed to take hold over my psyche--because I thought she held the key to my enlightenment. But this mistake has made me very strong in mind. I will never, ever again give that sort of power to another person, no matter what. And I believe that going through such a trauma so early on in our marriage actually helped us survive hard times later on, because we had already survived one of the worst things that could have happened.

I regret all of the times where I was too self-involved or stressed out to take an few extra minutes to offer kindness to a stranger in a need. But this regret has given me the wisdom to slow down, pay attention, and offer kindness when and where I can now.

I regret having waited until my late 30's to start writing. But then again, beginning later in life, my writing had more depth, dimension and insight than it would have if I had started young and become successful young.

I believe that there is a message and a gift in each regret.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Personally, I regret living with so many regrets for so many years. Those regrets and the resentments they caused were poison. Moving forward and beyond that stuff allowed me to start living.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I have no idea what to say to this...it's absolutely heartbreaking.
I sincerely wish you all the best in persuing this d-bag through the legal system and making him pay (figuratively and literally) for all he has done.
He should do serious jailtime for his crimes and I have a hard time believing that he won't in light of all the physical and financial evidence.
I will light a candle for you and your efforts over here on the east coast.

That said, I was about to mention my only regret was never getting to see the British Columbia interior but now I think I will change that to not having the opportunity to introduce Violets ex to some bikers I know...
All my best cherie.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you so much for your kind words

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I regret burying the eccentric loner in the woods, taking his identity and his hidden wealth and living it up large for the last 25 years on the back on well placed investments including apple, gold and now the new wave of the future.

Nah, just kidding, but I think there's the theme for my next book.

Actually, I regret nothing. mainly because I a realist and treat ATS and similar as entertainment. That way life is not complicated and I'm not paranoid.... wait the black copters are coming..

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

I wish I could get some bikers on him.
He won't be held accountable for any physical abuse because a one year seperation meant you dont need grounds.

I want to move forward with a new life and try to rehabilitate.

Thank you for your concern and kind words

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Sounds like a good plan to me and it seems that you are a much better (and stronger) person than I am or will ever be.

-Peace be with you-

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I'm relatively young but my life has been filled with time-wasted activities and missed opportunities. I feel the spark of youth slowly extinguishing as I try to find meaning and purpose in my life.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

FWIW, where I am from we wouldn't call the cops as your neighbor. At least not first. It breaks my heart to read your story.

Me personally...i have few regrets really. I have ended up in a really good place, and each step led to the next to get me here. Even the worst stuff.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm 48 years old and I've lived life to the full.

Had some great times and always walked pretty close to the line, and straying over it on more than just a few times if the truths to be told.
I could never be described as a model, law abiding citizen but neither am I hardened, professional criminal or barely functioning addict etc.

But 'Everything to excess' has always been a bit of a personal motto.

Sure I'm beginning to pay the price a bit now but I've had a great time getting here - done and seen things most could never imagine, mostly good but been involved in and seen some pretty hair raising things.
I've made many mistakes and done some things I'm not proud of, but I don't regret a thing.

They've all contributed to what I am today - and all things considered I don't think I'm a bad person.

When all that's said and done the one thing I truly regret echoes what a previous poster said; smoking.
It's a horrible habit that serves no beneficial purpose other than generating obscene amounts of profit for unscrupulous corporations.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

If it wasn't for a bi-hourly smoke break, i might not ever leave my office during the day.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, been there mate - the need to get out, light up and get rid of all the clutter in your mind, and possibly even talk to someone.

It's still a bloody horrible and disgusting habit though.

I started when I was 9 years old - not much hope for me.
There wasn't really that much awareness about the downsides to smoking - it's what all the cool kids did and if you were hungry it killed your appetite for a while.

Packed in once for nearly a year - a bit of stress and I was back on them.
I normally only smoke maybe 5 or 6 a day nowadays but I go through a hell of a lot more if I'm working a door or out drinking.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Not majoring in marine biology like I wanted to (my mom made me major in pharmacy, which I switched to bio after one year)
Then not going to vet school.
Not moving to Japan.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I regret all the years I stayed drunk and stoned, looking for enlightenment in all the wrong places.

What a long Strange trip it's been........

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Regrets/mistakes are a double edged sword.

On one hand we regret our poor decisions over the years for obvious reasons, but on the other hand we've learned from those mistakes and grown into who we are today. And just a little bit wiser from it too.

My biggest regret was not pursuing my dream career in university, and instead choosing the easy road into, what I consider, a braindead career... or at least what has become a braindead, boring, comatose type of career.

I wanted to be an astrophysicist, but the physics aspect of it scared the crap out of me. I obviously didn't have enough confidence in myself regarding my intellectual abilities back in the day. Big mistake.

On the plus side of that (the double-edged sword thing), after being an accountant for 23 years, I've had the ability and know-how to set myself up in a comfortable financial position that I'm now benefiting from in my mid 40's and living the life of semi-retirement.

That being said, I still can't help but wonder: "What if ?".

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

mantisfortress
reply to post by Iwinder

Sounds like you need to pick up a saw or some sandpaper. What are you waiting for?

My next go around at life, I am too old and have some health issues that would prevent me from doing just that.
I do it for a hobby but not a living.
Thanks for the post
Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join