It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama rules out short-term debt ceiling hike

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

Here in my neck of the woods in Ga is been problems also with the cards.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
any news from the middle east?
you know, right hand, left hand, don't let a good crisis go to waste?
edit on 13-10-2013 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Going to be interesting Tuesday in the markets if nothing has been done about this.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Monday will be interesting. Tuesday could be even worse.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

You refer to international markets, not US markets....correct? Or are they open on the holiday?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

US markets are open Monday. I don't know if I posted it here, or another thread, but Harry Reid, showing the lack of knowledge with what the gov't is dealing with, said "thank god the markets are closed on monday." Sadly, he doesn't know that they are, indeed, open.

Monday should start with a drop, unless something happens today.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I do the books for a small company. Experience has taught me that when you're deep in the hole it is very difficult to get out. You have to decrease spending first and find a way to increase revenue.

How about bringing all our boys home for starters...that would save some money. Take the "black budget" money and put it in the bill paying account.

Re-open the National Parks, that wouldn't really increase revenue but at least get the money back that they are losing. I read an article where a hotel located on the property of a National Park, sorry can't remember which one, was forcibly closed by the government with armed guards in parking lot to prevent anybody from checking in. The owner stated he sends $30,000 a MONTH to the government but would not be doing that this month. Wonder how many more rent checks the government is losing due to the shutdown?

Slash funding to all the ridiculous things the government does "research" on. Not vital things, but the million dollar studies on why poor kids get bad grades and so on.

Top on my list however would be to cut benefits to every able bodied person making a living off of welfare. That program was intended to help people in times of need, Not fund generation after generation of unwed mothers and their recently paroled boyfriends. I have no problem with those getting help who really need it. I do have a problem with people who never worked a day in their life filling up two shopping carts of food AND getting FREE health care while I work 2 jobs at 60+ hours a week to make ends meet.

Sorry this turned into a long rant. Guess we're all feeling a bit on edge lately.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

Cutting spending is essential to getting out of this mess.

5.1 million spent on wine glasses - big time waste of money.
Over 600 million on a website that doesn't work - big waste of money.
Staffing phones to handle the failed website - big waste of money.

The problem could be easily resolved if Obama were to push obamacare off until, at the very least, the website was working as intended. There shouldn't be any additional money spent to fix it and we can avoid paying all the people involved in running the damned thing since they won't be needed until it actually works and, even then, we might not need that many of them.

The problem is that Obama is in fantasy land, thinking that we can grow our way out of this mess. That isn't happening.

If we are to fix the problem we need to cut and tax, as painful as that might be. Cut wasteful spending (wine glasses, bloated website design costs, lavish trips to foreign lands etc.) Raise taxes, not on income taxes. That's been done and it's enough. How about a national sales tax? How about a small transaction charge for all internet sales originating or ending in the US? Ten cents a for all transactions under $100, $1.00 for all transactions up to $10,000. $100 for all transactions above that.

I'm leaving out the last piece of the puzzle as we don't discuss it here but, once the white house sees the tax revenue in Colorado and Washington, don't be surprised if the discussion comes up.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
remember bill cooper's words in behold a pale horse .

be careful on holidays that is when they will come .

does not seem so crazy now

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Or they could just stop foreign aid for countries that do not need it, as well as bring the troops home and concentrate on manufacturing again with a convenient workforce to help build the infrastructure. Wasn't the US known for manufacturing at some point in history?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I've said the same thing plenty of times. I've asked, and never received an answer, for someone to name a retail product that is made in the US, that is tops in its market. We used to make everything. We were tops in everything. Now, we're an oversized, bloated consumer nation that outsources what's left of our innovation.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Both mainstream parties want the government to default or they going to wait till the very last minute to come up with some miracle solution to look like heros. Its hard to imagine that they are willing to accept partial default and all the negative repercussions that will bring. There might be lynching involved by christmas time if not sooner.

Unless of course some major false flag event is in the horizon and this is just more smoke and mirrors.

I put 75% of the blame on democrats and 25% of the blame on republicans. ACA is an insurance bailout that deserves to be defunded and repealed, BUT holding an entire nation hostage to a credit downgrade isnt exactly smart either.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

Heck I'd be happy if they would do the things they are ordered to do by the Constitution and keep their nose out of everything they have no right to be a part of - but then this is an Orwellian nightmare is it not?

Hmm. Collect a corporate income tax to fund the common defense, secure the border and coin currency free of charge. Have these guys ever actually read the Constitution or is it just that thing they use to wipe their over bloated asses with.

I don't see paying people to sit at home on their butts with the "personal property" of other hard working individuals.

Oh yea and don't get involved in foreign entanglements - I think something is perhaps a miss.

Sorry to continue your rant...
edit on 13-10-2013 by WWJFKD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Now see, I think the numbers are there to remove the income tax (medicare and social security remain). The effect would be a near 25% raise across the board for consumers. If corporations want tax breaks, they have to have 65-85% American labor. Tariff imports and run a 5% national sales tax or a 10% flat sales tax (which States get 5% for collecting). Only exemptions would be food and necessaries (meds, doctor visits, legal council, etc.). This makes everyone pay including those working under the table or in other non-taxed "jobs". Keep the gasoline tax and other hidden taxes that are earmarked for programs. With extra spending money, companies should have no problem hiring to meet consumer demand for goods and services. Plus with all that cash flowing, venture capital would not be as risky.

Use a scythe when it comes to cutting the budget. Start with redundant programs and departments as well as departments that are not hitting their purpose. Carter created the Department of Energy to handle nuclear facilities and eliminate foreign oil dependence. We have not managed to reduce or even maintain 1970's level of dependence. Our nuclear energy program is basically done due to Three Mile Island and even if we wanted a new plant, we would have to import the steel from Japan because we don't have a refinery in operation that could process it to specs.

There doesn't need to be six different programs to get a federal loan to buy a house. Universities would have to compete without Uncle Sam fronting tuition. That means more affordable education for everyone. Grants and scholarships from private sources could handle the transition. Since we have DHS, do we really need our information agencies broken up into FBI, CIA, NSA, etc? Look at the consolidation of DEA, INS, ATF & Customs into ICE as an example of streamlining costs.

If we want to get technical, technology has replaced the need for the House and Senate. The President could have a teleconference with the Governors who then in turn present ideas to the State legislatures and report back to the President the outcome. It isn't like we have to depend on the Pony Express to get things done anymore. And if the legislatures get out of hand, the people are right there to correct abuses of power rather than making a trip to DC. But those thoughts are a little too radical for the Federal Government to think about.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Want to get out of this mess?

Yes, cut spending, in all sectors. Cut corporate welfare, cut social programs in which the government had no place getting involved.

Stop giving aid to countries just to push your foreign policy......and get rid of the FED.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Given the scope of the mess we're in, I wouldn't cut taxes (except the medicare surchage). I'd keep the old rates, with the 35% cap.

Cut the spending that's been mentioned.

Create that pittance of an internet transaction tax

Legalize that which we do not talk about and tax the crap out of it.

debt problem would be reversed in short order.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

MidnightTide
Want to get out of this mess?

" Yes, cut spending, in all sectors. Cut corporate welfare, cut social programs in which the government had no place getting involved.

Stop giving aid to countries just to push your foreign policy......and get rid of the FED. "

That is just about Everything Ron Paul was saying when he ran for President . He Warned US about the Decline of the Dollar and the Unchecked Spending in the Federal Goverment Destroying the American Economy . Remember him saying he would " Cut Spending his 1st Year as President by 1 Trillion Dollars " ?

To Late now , we made this " Obama Bed " , now we have to Sleep in it.......;(

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I support all your suggestions including the unmentionable. Why is it that a round table discussion of total strangers can come up with better solutions for this crisis than the US Government? Maybe because we're not thinking only of ourselves but of the wellness of the country.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
all the talk here about possible solutions to this mess is fine and shiny, but isn't it obvious that obama and his crew don't want to fix it?

they want to make US citizens feel even less secure than they already feel, so they will be even more dependent on their government and willing to accept every, even the most drastic, solution to the mayhem created by the very people the citizens will except help from - their own government. of course, they have to flush the dollar down the toilet in the process, but that's hardly breaking news.

the problem is, society is more aware of the government's fraudulent actions than it were some time ago, and that awareness slowly rises with every day, so my guess is they need a distraction, fast. actually, it may be a game played on two fronts at same time. people are focused on the economic situation in the US while something may be brewing in the middle east - or perhaps even in the US (false flag?), and when that happens, it may take the attention from the government shutdown, default and all that crap - until it'll be a done deal, dollar collapses and US citizens will accept every solution as long as it works, regardless of the price to pay.

shutdown the government to increase already existing mess and take people's focus, while preparing something much bigger behind the scenes, then launch it to make people look at it while the economy goes downhill and prepares the stage for the final 'solution' that people will accept? why let a good crisis go to waste?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

It is indeed an Orwellian nightmare. A member here on ATS has in their signature line "1984 wasn't supposed to be a road map" (sorry I'd give them credit but I can't remember who it is).

Considering the majority of our politicians started out as lawyers, they probably figured out all the sneaky ways to circumvent the Constitution in some fashion that can be considered legal, in their minds at least.

Sometimes rants are contagious! Feels good to get it all out and over with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join