It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Colin Powell Resigns as Secretary of State, Others Follow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President George Bush Monday morning. In addition, Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham has resigned along with Secretary of Education Rod Paige. It is rumored that Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneham will be announcing her resignation today as well. President Bush has not officially accepted any of the resignations at this time. A press conference is scheduled for later today regarding cabinet positions.

FoxNews.com
Secretary of State Colin Powell announced his resignation to his staff during their Monday morning meeting, a State Department source told FOX News.

President Bush is expected to make the official announcement. The source suggested that Powell is likely to stay in place until a replacement is confirmed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These resignations follows the departure of Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans last week.

Secretary Powell was sworn in January 20, 2001. He previously served as the National Security Advisor from 1987-89 and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1989-93. Prior to that, Mr. Powell served in the US military for 35 years, reaching the rank of 4 star General.

This story is still developing.

Related News Links:
apnews.myway.com...

[edit on 11-16-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Do you have a link for this? The above link doesn't seem to have anytyhing to do with it, thou i have read other articles that said powell is planning a visit to PA territory. Where did you get this mass of resignations from?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The headline is up on www.foxnews.com... with no story yet.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Fox and CNN news are reporting this, no web links at the moment. They'll be along shortly.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
And the dominos continue to fall, whens Rumy going to go? I like Powell alot, I wonder if he will talk out about anything afterwards. Who is up to replace him? I hope Wolfiwitz does not... Of all people to leave the Admin, this may be the Biggest blow IMO.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is a sad day. Colin Powell was the ideal Secretary of State. However, the neo-cons seemed to have marginalized him before and after the Iraq was. Rice is rumored to be the heir apparent. Powell was one of the few in the cabinet that recommended securing a broad coalition for the Iraq was and was frequently at odd with Rumsfield and Wolfowitz who have the Presidents ear. He also may be trying to preserve his reputation for a presidential bid in 2008.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We may see a clean house. I shudder to see Wolfowitz in any cabinet position.

link   
I hope they find another perhaps more influential position for Mr Powell, he is a good guy and has a more centrist point of view than some of the other cabinet officials. I would like him to take Rumsfelds' post... or better yet, get Cheney to resign for medical reasons and appoint Powell as VP.

Justy my desire - not necessarily what I think will happen. (heavy sigh)

link   
So many resignations, it seems like something is on the anvil or there is unrest in the cabinet on Bush's re-election. I don't see why though, Colin Powel and Ashcroft were very pro-Bush, actually sorry, Ashcroft was, don't know about Powel for sure.

The conspiratator in me says this is just a follow up to marshal law, as then Powel and Ashcroft's positions will automatically be dissolved.
Something tells me there is some kind of eminent event here - but that's the conspiritator again.....

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
myohmyohmy

Multinational corporations took over our government; inhumane policies abound and even allow human experimentation, including on children; the nation is bankrupt, morally, ethically and finally, financially; and now the rats are leaving the sinking ship.

About time I say. Maybe we can get this mess cleaned up.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
well, betcha it is probably tied somewhat to the turmoil in the CIA going on. The new guy heading it up is causing a lot of rukus.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Rumors of a possible 4th resignation to be announced today....?
Yikes. Who's next?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The only reason he stayed for four years was because he is a military man and that is what patriots do. He will go home and think then he will speak.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Yikes. Who's next?

Well, if so many people leave, then the government breaks apart, and if the government breaks apart, what happens? Probably marshal law, or it transforms into a government with all power held by a single leader, Bush, or a dicatorship.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Powell may be the only one who had any sense, but he did cave in to the disinformation campaign. Leaving the Bush regime shows what he thinks about them, IMO. I hope he's getting out before the Bush regime is brought up on serious charges. Maybe he knows what's coming and doesn't want any part of it?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Yikes. Who's next?

I so hope it's Bush.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
All this as the violence in Iraq spirals out of control.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If Bush did resign, we'd be in a dangerous, but interesting situation. Dick Cheney President? Oh boy. I say dangerous because it would be a particularly bad time for an attack on our soil.

Actually, now that you mention it, this could have drastic consequences for our guys in Iraq. Imagine being over there fighting your ass off, and then hearing that just about the whole administration is resigning. Imagine what the officers would be thinking. And Powell was just scheduled to go to the middle east to deal with all that stuff. Man, may the Lord be with us.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Yikes. Who's next?

I so hope it's Bush.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

Why the change of heart, you were arguing for Bush during the electorial campaign.

X

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Koka]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join