It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Colin Powell Resigns as Secretary of State, Others Follow

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
What do you suppose this means? Are they frustrated because the Bush regime doesn't listen to logic? Are they tired of being sidelined any time they disagree with the massive amounts of bad intelligence?
Have they realized what horrible mistakes have taken place and don't want anymore to do with it?

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Damned]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Let's keep in mind that cabinet positions regularly change every 4 years or so.
This is likely not something to be alarmed about.
These are stressful jobs to hold, most can't keep it up for 8 years.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sure, but they don't normally all bail at the same time, do they?
I think that alone says something.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Why the change of heart, you were arguing for Bush during the electorial campaign.

I know you weren't addressing me, but I seriously don't see how people that voted for this administration could possible be happy today. I think the Energy Sec in particular is a prelude to Cheney resigning for "health reasons" (before investigations gather steam). And the Education Sec resignation is a big blow for the "education President." Also, that talk today about the new CIA Director needing to be fired already given recent high ranking resignations since Goss came in. :shk:

I mean they're all going to start talking now to jockey for a better position in history. It's going to get ugly.

And people actually voted for this. That's what's scary. And we all knew it would happen. Just like after Clinton's re-election, Stephanopolous jumped ship immediately giving everyone a prelude of "something's up" and it was.

Man, we just re-elected Nixon. Well, I didn't. Value Voters did.
I sleep well at night.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I sure hope you're right Banshee.

Although I am tempted to do a little research into the history of Cabinet resignations. Do they all sort of just resign within weeks of each other at the 4 year point? Kind of like common occurence? I dunno, I'd love to believe you, but something just don't feel right to me bout this.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Let's keep in mind that cabinet positions regularly change every 4 years or so.
This is likely not something to be alarmed about.
These are stressful jobs to hold, most can't keep it up for 8 years.

Banshee, puhlease. Can I get starch with that whitewash?

This President already had the highest exodus of any in history in his first term of frustrated appointments from EPA to Cyberterrorism Czar. Most resignations ever. Now this is kind of brutal in the aftermath of a so called mandate.

This is not normal.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
While I don't have any dates on hand, Wikipedia says:

Customarily, a few Cabinet members may resign before the beginning of a second Presidential term. Usually all Cabinet members resign shortly after the innauguration of a new President.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, I'm not sure if 6 constitues "a few" or not, considering there are 15 cabinet positions, nor am I saying this is definately "normal."
However, I don't think there's a need to panic.

Anyone feel up to researching cabinet resignations on 2nd term Presidents?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think it's great that they're stepping down, but it doesn't solve anything. Abandoning the Bush regime only allows them to place whomever they want in those positions. That's scary, if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Don't know about you guys..But I see it as a signal from those who resigned that they are disgusted with the government and the way is has been run.How do the neo-con voters sleep at night knowing they have voted back a monkey?Do they think by putting a monkey in the Oval Office, quantum theory and the law of probability might help the monkey come up with a plan for peace in the Middle East?Oh wait a minute, I guess them right-wing "Christians Conservatives" don't really believe in science do they..

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Customarily, a few Cabinet members may resign before the beginning of a second Presidential term. Usually all Cabinet members resign shortly after the innauguration of a new President.

I am not that educated in US politics, but isn't this a different ball game altogether, as their administration has been re-elected anyway, so I don't see any reason why they would resign for no reason at all. Obviously, something is wrong.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Um..it probably means burnout. This has not been the easiest 4 years to work in top levels of the U.S. administration. Conspiracy theories aside, these folks are just burnt-out. They�ve been working 12-16 hour days non-stop since they took office. Powel has taken a lot of heat because of his moderate position and his wife, of all people, probably just wants her husband back.

This is nothing unusual. It does not signal the collapse of anything, other that some folks don�t want to take 4 more years of harassment. It�s not just the neocons folks�people in this level of government have a LOT of stress and pressure for many different sources.

I submit to you that Rumsfeld�s DOD and the State Department are at odds and this caused the most stress in Powell�s life.

IMHO: the state department needs a major overhaul. These guys have been known to thwart a sitting president�s decisions because these pencil pushers think they know better. Powell was not willing / able to do this so he took a lot of heat.

The state department�s REAL job is to follow instructions from the administration, even if they don�t agree with the orders. Just like the DOD, soldiers don�t disobey a legal order from the President just because they don�t like it.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
I think it's great that they're stepping down, but it doesn't solve anything. Abandoning the Bush regime only allows them to place whomever they want in those positions. That's scary, if you ask me.

That's a dictatorship, and it's been like this for a long time. I am glad the true colours are coming out for everyone to see.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
That's scary, if you ask me.

Damned, don't you mean scarier?

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Powell lost all credibility when he presented his ridiculous 'evidence' to the security council. He should have resigned then, and become remembered by history by standing up for what is right. Now he will be remembered as one of many corrupt politicians.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yes, I do mean scarier. It's already scary, isn't it?

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
I am glad the true colours are coming out for everyone to see.

I do hope some of them are honest and tell us the reasons behind their resignation. Maybe that'll alert the citizens to the serious wrong doing that's taken place.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Damned]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, the cabinet will be made up of folks like Wolfowitz. Thank JAYZUS them Queer as Folk can't get on each others insurance policies, or we'd reaaaaallllly be screwed!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Considering that Bush is so dependent on his cabinet (doesn't read, "received wisdom"), this is extremely troubling. His cabinet heavily influenced the direction of the presidency for the past four years--we have no idea of who this man will be after he replaces these cabinet members.

Because Bush has a shared identity with his cabinet, we should pay close attention to his appointees. I think that it should be very enlightening as to what we can expect over the next four years.

One would think that it could only get better, but you never know. With the Abu Ghraib architect as the new AG, Bob Jones III might be the new education secretary and Ken Lay could be pardoned so he could take over Energy. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Well, if so many people leave, then the government breaks apart, and if the government breaks apart, what happens? Probably marshal law, or it transforms into a government with all power held by a single leader, Bush, or a dicatorship.

Why in the world would cabinet resignations result in martial law? Its not like the british, where the multiparty system results in coalition governments. If Bush's entire cabinet resigns, he doesn't loose the presidency or anythign like that, he just nominates new secretaries and congress votes to approve them or not. THere is no requirement that the president have a cabinet, if there was no cabinet at all the president wouldn't be a dictator, he'd just be really busy.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think Powell's resignation is good after his gaff on Taiwan.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How about the gaff on Iraq???

Is anybody else here getting deju vu with Palpatine dissolving the Senate in Star Wars?

*cues the Imperial March music*

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join