It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Affordable heathcare my rear (t&c compliant)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Mods if you feel this belongs in the rant section then please move. This is definitely a social issue that will lead to civil unrest.

I went to my mother's house earlier.

She told me she looked into "affordable" coverage.

$100 a month with a $10,000 deductable.

She makes $9 an hour, give or take a $0.25.

Now excuse me, but if anyone could afford a $10,000 deductable, then they should be able to afford regular health insurance.

What a scam.

She said she's going to pay the penalty.

GREAT PLAN.

edit on 6-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: spelling/grammar

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
How many people are going to die from simple operations because they fear their deductable?

Appendix surgery for example.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
How expensive do they anticipate this getting where a $10,000 deductible is considered reasonable to endure?

The average US income is still in the general neighborhood of $50,000. So 20% of the income dead on out of pocket deductible... PLUS the monthly payments for the privilege of having whatever comes after that. A % base split on costs, if I'm not mistaken.

This was going to be helpful....how again? This is .....wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

This is nothing but another tax that these idiots have forced on the american people. A "tax" that is often larger than what people have to pay for rent, or their mortgage. A "tax" that is far more than most people would spend at the docter's office in a year - as far as their grossly inflated deductible would be.

This is not healthcare - this is nothing but another tax taken from an already over-taxed population.

Why isn't the elite being fined for the obamacare-less tax?

Because they can do the numbers and realize that nobody can afford this crap of a tax. with absolutely no healthcare.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm curious about this, too. She actually sounds like she is getting off easy. For my family it would be almost a $13K deductible AND about $700-800 a month (silver plan). So at most, ACA would cost us about $20K a year for a worst case scenario.

I might be misunderstanding something, though, so please feel free to correct me. I'd rather be corrected than misunderstand something and go on sounding like a reactive idiot. lol

For reference, this is the best calculator I have been able to find:

kff.org...

Please test it out, everyone, and see for yourself.

The official government site has been too jammed for me to access the individul plan estimates and the small business plans may not be reliable. I want to see if it will be less than what we are paying now.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Here is another link I found earlier today on reddit.com (Replace the 22222 in the link with your zip code)

www.legalconsumer.com...

It also seems fairly accurate for a gross estimate of premiums but does not seem to show deductibles or subsidies.

I still think the link in my above post is a more accurate gauge.
edit on 10/6/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Talk about an Enema...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Tax is right, and it's the largest tax hike I am aware of in history. ALL History. Outside of nations in the throes of terminal financial crisis, anyway. That's where I believe insanely high (to % of a household income) taxes have been imposed at this level but not in normal life like this.

Oh, and don't forget ...these mandates and all are also helping to fund what doesn't get caught in the exchanges. Medicare and Medicaid pick up those. Which means your FICA taxes out of Payroll aren't going anywhere. You're still directly funding the Medi programs out of that, as well. Just paying all KINDS of medical bills these days ...and still $10,000 away from a dime of benefit.

Oh.... didn't we get a dandy deal.

Welcome to the Tax-Nation. At least we get to keep some change, I hope.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am completely speechless.

I'm sitting here arguing with my "better" half.

She is all for it.

She got sold on a polished turd packaged as a rose.

I think we are all screwed for good.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

This is just for her.

No family plan.

She told me this earlier.

I don't really know all the details. She was pretty disgusted with the whole ordeal.

Edit: she i a smoker so that plays a role im sure.
edit on 6-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: edit

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Me and My fiance just plugged in numbers for 3 sets of people.

Numbers for someone who works 40 hours a week at minimum wage

Someone who makes the national average

Someone making the same as the president

Guess who pays the most and who pays the least in comparison to their income? The person earning the same as the president. The person paying the most is the the 40 hours a week at minimum wage.

I put in numbers for a family of 2 insuring 1 person age 35 for all.

Minimum wage worker

Household income in 2014: 97% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $3,098 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: None Amount you pay for the premium: $3,098 per year (which equals 20.69% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $0 (which covers 0% of the overall premium)

National average income at 47k (not sure I buy this number)

Household income in 2014: 303% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $3,098 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: 9.5% Amount you pay for the premium: $3,098 per year (which equals 6.59% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $0 (which covers 0% of the overall premium)

Presidents income 250k

Household income in 2014: 1612% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $3,098 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: None Amount you pay for the premium: $3,098 per year (which equals 1.24% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $0 (which covers 0% of the overall premium)

Notice, the amount is the same for everyone. Now, If I change the age or amount of people living in the home, the numbers change.

You can plug in numbers and play around with them here.kff.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

They know not what they haven't had personal and direct time to research and learn. After all, media makes sure people misunderstand and politicians write the misunderstandings to follow. It takes research ..and when it takes 2 part time jobs to pay the bills, who has time to even see how they're being lied to?

I'm not sure how much I blame people for ignorance on this. It's been too carefully nurtured. There is sure no denying now and going into the very near term though.

"Gotcha" never felt THIS raw for many people I'll bet. Yeah.. Surprise. OUCH!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Yeah, I understand.

Even those who get cheap payments, their deductibles could be so astronomically high that they would never get to even use their coverage. So they just make their forced payments and get nothing in return.

These are the hard questions I'd really like some ACA supporters to explain. I'm willing to listen and hear them out for how they answer this.

A minority will get a good chunk of their deductibles paid for as well but not most.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The democrats are still able to spin this but the time is coming, rather quickly, when all the numbers will be plain for everyone to see.

The democrats are going to take one on the chin for this and will seriously be hurt politically by it. Maybe they will get lucky and it will be a fabulous plan that saves everyone money but the news filtering out already is mostly negative about it.

Odds are its going to need to be seriously re-worked and the people won't trust the democrats to do it since they lied about the cost.

The 2014 mid-terms were already being predicted to be an uphill fight for the left and this will pretty much ensure a solid sweep by the republicans. Even Nate Silver was predicting a 50/50 chance of the GOP retaking the Senate and that was with positive news regarding healthcare, this will probably sink them if it turns out as bad as most of us believe it will.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Democrats are waking up quick to this scam, as you see all over the internet and on healthcare.gov's facebook site.

But get this, because it's getting such a bad reputation right off the bat, democrats are now blaming it on Republicans.

Listen to this quote:

Obamacare is a Republican idea. It's based on the individual mandate, an idea introduced by the conservative pro-business Heritage Foundation, promoted by Republican leaders, and enacted in Massachusetts by Gov. Romney. Republicans only began to detest it circa 2009 when President Obama and Democrats made it part of Obamacare.

my.firedoglake.com...

If it was successful, they claim it, Obama's legacy. If it fails, it was Republican's idea.

edit on 6/10/13 by xstealth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Yea but they can't spin the fact that they pushed it through without republican support. The GOP wasn't even invited into the debate on it.

The democrats own this no matter how they try and play it off.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Yeah, that's the same Republican mandate Obama's people fought hard for at the Supreme Court.

The attempts to blatantly re-write history and perception on any number of things these days is scary for the fact they try.......but more so for the fact it works enough to keep doing.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I am going to have to wish everyone a goodnight.

I have to get up and leave for work at 5 am (while i still have a job).

I am union and I got a letter that states our healthcare meets the minimum guidlines....

Well union for now.

Good luck on keeping your jobs everyone.

This is definitely change we can believe in.....sarcastically as all can be....

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinkerpeach

But you know there are people out there who will forget and will believe that statement to be true.
People never seem to remember what their party did wrong, only what the other side did wrong. Half the time they don't even remember that!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

i tried that for my state montana and it would nto give me info and wanted me to create an account so i couldnt figure it out as i didnt wanan create an account with their health care.org site any one else have this problem or did i hit a wrong button?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join