It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"TAG! You're It!" Now Seen As A Danger To Our Precious Children...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think this is silly and do not want to see the childhood games of the past stripped from future generations because of some errant brats and tyrannical teachers.

However I also remember being a kid in the 80's and 90's when kids still played games for a fun way to pass the time.

Look at these kids nowadays. A big amount of them are little psychos. They really are playing games with a mob mentalitiy, they seem all too often to be trying to recreate video game or movie moments.

I blame the parents. If they took the time to go play a fun game outside with their kid instead of handing them a violent vidoegame console or putting on stalk'em chop'em films maybe the kids would still be playing nicely.

Time for the rewind switch.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

This version of tag is odd, i don't remember running around with my friends in a "pack" and shoving other kids down. Shouldn't someone be chasing the "pack" instead of the "pack" chasing others?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Thorneblood

This version of tag is odd, i don't remember running around with my friends in a "pack" and shoving other kids down. Shouldn't someone be chasing the "pack" instead of the "pack" chasing others?

That distorted version is the means to the end.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

By "Stalk em, Chop em" films you include most Tom and Jerry Cartoons and lots of what Looney Tunes offered us as children right?

Secondly, i don't know a lot of kindergardeners who can play a violent video game at all they tend to find those games boring.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think you're over reacting jude11.

If you bother to read the article it's not about the kids participating in the game, it's about the kids that aren't participating.

So imagine your five or six your old standing there, minding their own business when some other kid runs past him followed by a group of a half dozen other kids...not running past your kid but running into them head on. "We were just playing tag!"

It was also already a concern with parents, "push-tag" is not the same as "touch-tag." According to the article one parent told the media and no parents complained to the school;

Neither the school nor the district have received any direct complaints from parents about the new policy, but at least one parent contacted the media about the policy.

It sounds to me like both the parents and teachers recognized a problem that was going on with their kindergartners.

Think about unnecessary roughness in football, you don't tackle a guy that's not involved in the carry for no reason.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I wonder what the school administration would think if the parents instructed all their kids to simply stand, motionless, at least an arms length apart at recess one day. Simply do nothing, and be near nobody. All with glazed over looks in their eyes....looking straight ahead.

Sheeesh....IMO, the sooner kids interact and experience the world (and it's pitfalls and mistakes), the easier it will be when they get older to deal with disappointment and bad breaks without completely snapping like a rubber-band stretched to its limit.

edit on 10/6/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

link   

If you believe that to be true then what is the problem here?
The article clearly said that the teachers took the time to show them how to play it without using the distorted version.

link   

Thorneblood

That's how I remember it, being a little physical at times. But thankfully our progressive overlords
have once again stepped in to protect us from ourselves. After all they're our betters.

I haven't checked but if the Huff Post picks this up I bet those limp wristed, bed wetting
figure skaters fawn over it.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say that the person behind this was the kid who always yelled "time out!" RIGHT before they got tagged.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Oh P-l-e-a-s-e

You know as well as anybody that this is part of the nannyism agenda.

And I bet there's some legal BeeEss involved somewhere too.

Like a liability insurance mandate somewhere.

Was there any recent shyster or shister lawsuits ?

Hmmm.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

That's how i remember it too, unless i am misreading your post. One chases the many, right? Sure it got a little physical but that happens and is different from a "pack" of kids chasing down one kid. That just seems off...

And again, this has nothing to do with Progressive overlords. It has everything to do with protecting themselves against lawsuits.

Actually. If you called it "Zombie Tag" it could actually be pretty fun. Every kid who gets "tagged" becomes a zombie and chases the "humans"
Good times, Good times.

I can see why a school would not allow this, for stated reasons, but on a personal level in a park or a neighborhood this might be the #.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This past year I saw a pack of street urchins throwing balls of snow at each other. Can you believe it? Snow!

The nerve...
edit on 6-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

No...the article laid it all out pretty well. Packs of kids chasing other kids and knocking other kids over, the use of "push-tag" and the fact that none of the parents complained about the decision to the school.

If anything it's just more fodder for the belief in the 'wussification' of American children. I half expected the link in the OP to go directly the TheBlaze initially.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Tag.

You're IT !!!

Gotch YA.

Of *course* the story won't dare mention any lawsuits or insurance clauses.

That would be against the signed agreements that mandate the gag orders !!!!

Lawyers

edit on Oct-06-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Thorneblood
reply to post by Yngvarr

That's how i remember it too, unless i am misreading your post. One chases the many, right? Sure it got a little physical but that happens and is different from a "pack" of kids chasing down one kid. That just seems off...

And again, this has nothing to do with Progressive overlords. It has everything to do with protecting themselves against lawsuits.

Actually. If you called it "Zombie Tag" it could actually be pretty fun. Every kid who gets "tagged" becomes a zombie and chases the "humans"
Good times, Good times.

I can see why a school would not allow this, for stated reasons, but on a personal level in a park or a neighborhood this might be the #.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

No you're correct, one kid had to go after many who would just scatter.
The physical part came in when a bigger kid was it and would practically
tackle you down. Also you're right about the lawsuits, but I never knew
of any parents suing back in the early 70s, maybe it wasn't in fashion yet.

We also had a game sort of Rugby like, everyman for himself game
called Smear the… ahem… "person with an alternative lifestyle."
Talk about un PC!

Very rough game, the ball just randomly tossed around then everyone
would just try to dog pile the carrier until they tossed it to someone else.
Yes we played it in the school yard and the teachers didn't bat an eye.

Can you imagine if some kids tried that nowadays?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Dodge ball must carry a felony charge! I wonder if I can still sue for those times I got tackled or beaned in the noggin by that huge red ball!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

Different generations have different names for the same thing, so i imagine it is still being played.
Kill the Carrier, Break the Stick, Crush the Bean....all basically the same game..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

links234
reply to post by xuenchen

No...the article laid it all out pretty well. Packs of kids chasing other kids and knocking other kids over, the use of "push-tag" and the fact that none of the parents complained about the decision to the school.

If anything it's just more fodder for the belief in the 'wussification' of American children. I half expected the link in the OP to go directly the TheBlaze initially.

Oh they *laid it all out pretty well* alright....

The teachers, who previously said several children were getting hurt daily, told parents that the modeling experience proved helpful for the students.

And all the threatening quotes from staff and all the letters are simply legal mumbo jumbo.

I bet some injuries happened during construction too.

That school district is getting sued IMO. Bigtime

The answers are in the 'comments' below the story.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is absolutely absurd.

Complaints that kids don't get outside enough, are over weight, etc.
When they try to get out and play, we stop'em.

Idiots !!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Thorneblood

Sounds like a tag spin off called British Bulldog.....where one or two people start off as the " bulldog's" and once they "tag" someone they become a "bulldog" too until there is one child left which makes them the winner. I used to love playing it as a kid but it's not for the timid!

As someone else mentioned, for a while schools increasingly banned "British Bulldog" from playgrounds in schools in the UK too, but it is making a comeback along with other playground games in an attempt to tackle childhood obesity and to encourage physical play.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join