It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"TAG! You're It!" Now Seen As A Danger To Our Precious Children...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

watchitburn
reply to post by jude11

So I'm guessing "kill the man with the ball" is now off limits too?

What about freeze tag? Or manhunt? should we call it "person find"?

Poor kids, they are going to grow up to be even bigger pansies than their parents.

Funny, I distinctly remember calling "kill the man with the ball" as being called "smear the queer". Horribly insensitive? Yes. Establishing a bias in the minds of children? Yes. Should the name have been changed? Absolutely

But, I bring this up moreso as a point to be reflected on to remind us of how times have changed.

As it stands, I feel more than willing to take any bet that american football as we know it will not exist the way it does today, in our school systems, or maybe even professionally, considering all the attention on brain injuries which tops the list of late. I think in 20-30 years, we will see significant changes in this passtime.

-SN

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Kids do rough and tumble with each other and have accidents when they play, it's normal and part of growing up, it's not always someone else's fault.

Everybody is so terrified of having the pants sued off them that humans aren't allowed to do normal human things any more. Soon won't be able to move in the Sue-nited States of America. It's spiralling out of control.

I bet the insurance companies are rubbing their hands though, they get to rake in ever-increasing premiums and pay less and less out due to this sort of nit-picking underwriting. They make their own rules up as they go along so they never lose out. Same as the banks do.

I so hate insurance companies. And banks. And government. All are greedy and corrupt.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Soon won't be able to move in the Sue-nited States of America. It's spiralling out of control.

To be fair, it's not just the USA - how many story's have you read about schools in the UK banning certain traditional or competitive games etc?

When I was a kid we loved playing these sort of games. The rougher the better, we used to knock lumps out of each other. I was constantly coming home with cuts, bruises and bumps etc.

I's feel a damn sight more confident about the future if I saw groups of kids playing similar games today instead of all the touchy-feely nonsense and imaginary isolated make believe worlds on a games console.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In the winter time our best game was
KING of THE Hill
How who could stay on top the longest and push everybody else down

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Seems like our cousins have some catching up to do.

We have State Primary Schools in QLD Oz that have banned cartwheels and handstands... ohhh ffs, where does it end??

... but wait, there's more - finishing line tape at running events have also been banned for fear of presenting a choking hazard!!

Sheesh, I can remember playing stacks-on until you went blue in the face and could hardly breathe, man that was fun - and tag with a wet tennis ball, ouuuch!!... just another day of activties during recess.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I live directly across the street from an elementary playground. We were sitting on our porch last week watching the kids, we began discussing how we constantly hear the teachers yelling at the kids "no touching, don't do this, don't do that, hands to yourself".

I remembered my own twenty something kids playing on that exact playground, wrestling, playing tag, swinging on monkey bars etc. I just felt sorry for those kids, being yelled the entire twenty minutes and you could just see all the pent up energy in the kids that had no way to dispel. No wonder they have issues with some of them in class. No offense to any teachers either because we also observed how long it took and with much difficulty the kids had in getting into a simple line to file into the building.

I remembered how sometimes my boys would look to see if a teacher was watching, and if the coast was clear they would quickly "sneak" to meet me in the dead end street to give me a kiss, even in front of their friends. Now days we'd probably both be fired on by roof snipers. Pitiful.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Historically, I think these sorts of games were massively important in the upbringing of children. If your village is raided by Vikings for example. which child would have a better chance of survival? One who had played hide and seek or one who hadn't? All of these games have a similar function, playful training for emergency situations. 'Ring o' roses' is a good example, came about during the black plaque, educating kids about how to avoid spreading the desease.

I guess you could argue that either these skills are not neccesary in a modern society, or that our modern society would prefer kids without these skills (for obvious conspiratorial reasons). Who knows?

My favourite game was Red Letter. Pick two teams, each team picks a word and each member gets a letter. First team to spell the other teams word wins. Letters had to be forcibly extracted from people, and only divulged as a kind of 'tap out'. Back to the Viking analogy, imagine if you were a little boy witholding the location of all the female members of your family from a viking who was done pillaging...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It is obvious what must be done.

Any parent that is caught pregnant or having a child, should be charged with a crime. Simple. It's is a fact that the child will eventually die. So the parent is guilty of neglect. By bringing a child into the world, they have in fact, sentenced that child to death. And it might be painful and slow.

So babies should be illegal. And the sooner the better, because think of the children...

stupid stupid planet.. STUPID PLANET.

edit on 7-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Maybe they wouldnt be "pushing, knocking other children over, and making the game dangerous" if the #ing teachers chaperoned the children during recess? I played tag and you touched someday and theyre it, theres no pushing and shoving necessary and if one individual hurts another you deal with the individual, not punish the majority.
edit on 7-10-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
What follows is an interview I had with Betty McNannystate, a first-grade teacher at Holy Atheist Children's Academy.

(Me) Ms. McNannystate, thank you for giving me this opportunity to interview you as a representative of the US education system.

(McNannystate) You're welcome. Although, as a teacher, I must first correct your use of grammar. I am a reprehensive, not a representative.

(Me) Apologies. Can I start with a few questions?

(McNannystate) Sure! But first, let me stop the children from playing a game we call, "Lynch The Minority Individual".

(Me) Uhhh, ma'am? Where we come from, that's called "Jump Rope".

(McNannystate) That's because you don't have a degree in education. Look over there! Another group of children are playing the game, "Isolate The Gender-Confused Individual".

(Me) Wow. From here, it looks like they are playing hopscotch.

(McNannystate) That's because you are a moron! If you take a look at those kids (pointing) what do you think they are playing?

(Me) Marbles?

(McNannystate) Idiot! They are playing, "I'm A Greedy Business Owner Flaunting My Success".

(Me) Oh. What about those kids over there? (me pointing) The ones with the knives threatening the smaller children?

(McNannystate) Oh that? That's ok. They are playing "Community Organizer".

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Oh man. This just reminded me that I'm still "it" from a game we played back in 1991... Quite a pickle...

I agree as well that the idea is absurd. And I blame the parents and their lawyers, not the state.
Yes, back in the days we played games that left us with serious scrapes and bruises and the odd broken arm. But we went back for more the following day... I remember that many times I was left with torn clothes after a serious game of handball... My mother would simply make me wear the torn clothes until I've outgrown them...

These days - when a kid gets hurt - it's the end of the world in the parents' eyes. And they immediately want to blame someone, because god forbid that it's only kids being kids... I hate to think where it's going to end, because obviously it's not getting any better.

March of the Fire Ants
... 'Ring o' roses' is a good example, came about during the black plaque, educating kids about how to avoid spreading the desease.

Most historians agree that Ring a Ring o' Roses has no connection with the "Great Plague" or "Black Death"...
Wiki
Snopes
About.com
Just some general FYI.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

i thought in (tick) tag everyone runs away indifferent directions like we did when we were kids

THE MADNESS

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Freeborn
Is it any wonder our children are increasingly becoming anti-social spending most of their free time locked up alone with their X-Boxes etc and the make believe world it encourages.

This has more to do with the fact they have xboxes to begin with.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

DeanWormer
This is absolutely absurd.

Complaints that kids don't get outside enough, are over weight, etc.
When they try to get out and play, we stop'em.

Idiots !!!!

Well Said!

Keep the kids inside and distracted by violent video games, cartoons and movies.

Better then letting go outside in the fresh air, getting exercise and a scrape or two.

After reading many posts here I still can't believe that there are those that support these types of regulations being implemented daily with the explanation of safety first. Kids will get bruised, they will bruise others, they will fall down, they will push others, pinch and tease each other.

It's called childhood and this is how we grow and learn as a society. By teaching what actions are wrong, fair and acceptable...or not. We don't learn anything when it's all decided for us at the beginning.

Kids will be kids...or at least they were allowed to be so at one time.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

beezzer
What follows is an interview I had with Betty McNannystate, a first-grade teacher at Holy Atheist Children's Academy.

(Me) Ms. McNannystate, thank you for giving me this opportunity to interview you as a representative of the US education system.

(McNannystate) You're welcome. Although, as a teacher, I must first correct your use of grammar. I am a reprehensive, not a representative.

(McNannystate) Sure! But first, let me stop the children from playing a game we call, "Lynch The Minority Individual".

(McNannystate) That's because you don't have a degree in education. Look over there! Another group of children are playing the game, "Isolate The Gender-Confused Individual".

(McNannystate) That's because you are a moron! If you take a look at those kids (pointing) what do you think they are playing?

(Me) Marbles?

(McNannystate) Idiot! They are playing, "I'm A Greedy Business Owner Flaunting My Success".

(Me) Oh. What about those kids over there? (me pointing) The ones with the knives threatening the smaller children?

Beezzer....

As always...Brilliant!

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

jude11

beezzer

(Me) Marbles?

Beezzer....

As always...Brilliant!

Peace

Being from Canada we had a lot of snow hills to be King of. I loved that game!

I also remember Winter carnival when the town would use the town bulldozers and make a long, very high hill that they would then ice down with the use of the fire trucks and we had an ice hill all winter for sledding.

Dangerous? Hell Yes! But the entire town used it and there would be no shortage of bumps, scrapes, bruises etc. Especially the pile up at the bottom...

Did anyone die? Nope.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Last year, my son's elementary school banned dodge ball, cuz it "condoned violence"....My son used to play every day until that. I was told that it would be brought back this year; but it hasn't. Now he gets to play "wall ball" which just entails him bouncing his OWN tennis or racquet ball off a brick wall and catching it.

Yes, he even has to supply his own ball for recess.

# is getting bad. My husband has threatened to take him out to be home schooled since it's only going to get worse.

A_L

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

When kids can't be kids, what kind of adults do they turn into?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

ahhhaha, you know, now you mention it I can remember hearing about that! Thanks for the heads up. Still, I stand by my other points! I think.. lol

I find it very sad to see the way some kids are growing up these days. It's not as bad here in the UK as it the US and OZ but it is creeping in. Conversely, some senior schools have introduced lunchtime Mixed Martial Arts classes. A very positive step if you ask me, all good martial arts training has a very strong DO NOT GET IN FIGHTS vibe but should also release some pent up aggression.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join