It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON : Realtime Image and Info 2013

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

SOHO Real Time

The big show!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Phil Plait, has a new entry on the Bad Astronomy blog.

It seems ISON has brightened to magnitude 0.5, and astronomers are being advised to prepare for negative magnitudes. That's good news.

The latest C3 images are oversaturated, so they are adjusting the exposure times for future images to limit this. I'm guessing that is why the most recent images I can find are over 2 hours old.
edit on 11/27/2013 by Olivine because: spelling

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Finally, an updated LASCO C3 image--it's been a few hours!

source

Karl Battam from the Solar division of the Naval Research Lab is pretty excited: SungrazerComets

WOAH... #ISON has seriously flared up...

This is exciting to watch unfold...

ETA: Wanted to add this fresh video of ISON since it entered view on the C3 instrument.

edit on 11/27/2013 by Olivine because: video add

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Sungrazer Comets ‏@SungrazerComets 4m
From #CIOC's Matthew Knight: "Just since I woke up, comet #ISON has brightened by a factor 10. Its light-curve is almost vertical!"

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I found this one with a little bit of tail action from Nov 21 at 00:39:01 to 25 at15:19:01...

Comet ISON and Encke

Because it is Quicktime, I can't insert movie. This is a nice view of the 2 comets, ISON going left to right and Encke coming down from middle left to right to almost intersect (this view anyway, I know they are millions of kms apart) take a look.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
After a 3 hour break in images, contact has resumed with the SOHO satellite. Here are the latest C2 and C3 images. (these are unprocessed and haven't been flipped around, that's why the comet is seen traveling in from the opposite direction).

From the C3 detector:

And ISON's 1st appearance on the C2 detector:

image source links

The familiar blue and red images will be released shortly, if not out already--but the servers are getting hammered...when they are released, this link should work. SOHO the very latest
edit on 11/28/2013 by Olivine because: add a link

Here is C3 (in blue). Not as bright as it had been. source

edit on 11/28/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
look at that tail o.O

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The approach camera is now capturing frames, although as yet Ison is not in the field of view...

cometison.gsfc.nasa.gov...#

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Looks like it has disintegrated. No bright core visible, just the dust tail

Watch the live hangout and updates here: www.ustream.tv...

[latest image - ISON looks like just a smear of dust and rocks]

edit on 28-11-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Our Sun just got fertilized, Yeah!!!!!!!!!

ARE we going to be proud parents in a couple of decades lol?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Theres some twitter reports saying something survived and has appeared.. damn mobile tech lemme try n paste the link

mobile.twitter.com...

edit on 28-11-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Indeed, something did survive, and it's getting quite active again! The question is whether it's the more-or-less intact nucleus, or just a big chunk of it, or even a whole pile of chunks being still active.

[Latest SOHO LASCO C3 image]

[Latest SOHO LASCO C2 image]

edit on 28-11-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Interesting to note the puff mass ejection at the top right of the sun, exactly as ISON passed behind it. Here it sure does seem as if ISON, or ISON V2.0, has emerged and begun it's return trip.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
What seemed like a very bright and active remnant of ISON, now just looks like a puff of dust. No single bright nucleus visible.

For me, ISON has officially disintegrated, and soon will not be visible at all.

[Edit] Here is my processing of the image, are we looking at ISON fragments?

The original images is, of course, very grainy, but these pixels are the brightest, much brighter than the overall digital noise.
edit on 30-11-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
ISON has entered the view of STEREO Ahead HI1 camera on Nov 30th. You can see it in top right corner. stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Here's a time-lapse:

Looks like a very dim and dispersed cloud of dust. I'm looking forward to big telescopes (including Hubble) taking a look at what's left of ISON.
edit on 1-12-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Any chance it was the cause of the len flare artifact the HI1-A red one

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
HI Guys! Tq For Everthing, i love u all! Sory For this, Mod say dont start a new Ison Thread anymore so i have to put this Significant warning here..
Comet ISON not Die..But This!, this dengerous, Comet Ison Fragment is Toward Us!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Interesting information. USUALLY the debris of a broken comet follows along in the orbit. This comet seems to have shed some debris but it was up, which is farther away from earth as far as I can see. The triangle of surface tension of the comet tends to hold the pieces together. Hopefully a CME doesn't hit it and weaken or distort the bow shock field. It would need to be a super big flare and be in the exact right position to do that. It is highly doubtful that that will happen. Even then, chances of a big chunk hitting the earth is slim. I don't think I will lose any sleep over this.

Now if NASA says the comet fragments are going to hit us......I'm going to run to the store and buy a couple of 15 roll packs of toilet paper. Maybe a dozen cases of beer and some popcorn too.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Posting this as it's the latest relatively hi-res image of ISON (or what's left of it). STEREO Ahead HI1 camera: stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

To me at least, this looks nothing more than just a dimming and dispersing cloud of dust, hardly brighter than the CMEs coming off the Sun. I can see no large fragments, no bright core.

A great way to see what's happening is to run the "slideshow" at stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov... (choose Ahead HI1 camera, 512x512 resolution, 20131130 as start date, tick "Slideshow" and hit "Search" button).

On today's images, ISON's remains can hardly be seen at all (but I'm waiting for higher-quality images). stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

edit on 3-12-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join