It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos on Women.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You are a very judgmental type of person,especially accusing me of not liking people with tattoos. I know lots of people with tattoos, I don't judge them for them ,I still don't have to like tattoos, some people like them some people don't.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
As a grown woman, I have to admit that my primary concern about getting tattoos was not that it would cut down my potential amount of partners. In fact you may be appalled to hear that I actually didn't consider it a valid reason not to get tattoos. Since getting mine (and I want more) I haven't turned into a raving sex monster (might have been an interesting side effect), nor has my I.Q declined in any perceivable way. My Job prospects haven't ceased to exist (I'm a University Lecturer), nor have I scared away small children with my now altered appearance. I would like to see the empirical data that ascertains that 50% of all males on the planet are offended by tattoos, but I would also like to proffer that over the years listening to male friends talk about their 'type' some gentlemen 'prefer blondes' in which case I am also out of the running with my jet black hair. Also if 50% of men hate tattoos that leaves 50% who like them which isn't so bad.

I have friends from many cultural and social backgrounds, some have tattoos some have body modifications, some have normal unblemished skin...all of them beautiful, intelligent and passionate people.

The bottom line is everyone has a preference, you should feel better about the moral indignation regarding woman having tattoos knowing that women who have tattoos have not considered your feelings in this matter, because essentially your opinion doesn't count.

While I respect you right to hold whatever options you chose, you should also respect the rights of women everywhere to do what they want with their own bodies. No woman with tattoos chooses to get them as a personal affront to your belief system, they do it because they like them for a multitude of other reasons.

One thing more I would like to add is that I am saddened for you that you have limited your own choices to meet, intelligent, attractive and lovely people because you can't see past the wrapper that they come in.

Wishing you peace and acceptance.

Uk

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I agree with most of what you are saying,but I will say this some people who look freaky are some pretty ingenious entrepreneurs. Opening tattoo shops,motor cycle shops, head shops, construction companys. In some cases yea they could hold you back from getting certain public jobs depending on what type of tattoos they have.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

I don't think most people have/had an issue with you not being attracted to women with tattoos (at least I didn't). I think it was some of the posts you made that made assumptions about women with tattoos they/I had an issue with. As with anyone, I had deal breakers when it came time to find someone to share my life with too... I assume most folks do and I realize sometimes what we feel doesn't come across exactly how we want it to on a forum where folks don't know us or how we act in our everyday lives.

Your post/thread struck a chord with me because I am used to the stereotype. My appearance is normal on every other level except for the tattoos and I do tend to get followed in the "more expensive" stores if it is summertime and they are more visible. I expected this before I got tattoos and can not help but giggle when it happens and wonder what Stepford looking wife is on the other side of the store filling her purse up with stolen goods while security is trained on me as I move aisle to aisle. It doesn't keep me up at night worrying about what others think but I do think others miss out on some quality folks simply because they have a bad habit of making snap judgements.

There are so many things that society teaches us lowers our value to others when it should be teaching us to not place a majority of our value on physical appearances alone. I try to teach my 15 year old daughter that lesson since even in this day and age... society fails to do so. To her it is normal. Seeing another mom with tattoos does not invoke thoughts of " She must be an abusive, negligent, crackhead" in her. I like the fact that my tattoos have caused her to think past skin deep.

I can completely understand it if tattoos don't "float your boat" though. I was just hoping to show you that tattoos don't make the person and it seems like you see that. I do hope you find someone to share your life with (with or without ink) as we all need someone to walk through this world with that can be our "safe place to fall" when the going gets tough.

edit on 9/30/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

enament
reply to post by winofiend

You are a very judgmental type of person,especially accusing me of not liking people with tattoos. I know lots of people with tattoos, I don't judge them for them ,I still don't have to like tattoos, some people like them some people don't.

But you do judge people with tatoos... and you label them. Specially women.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Tatoos on women.. a taboo topic in itself. IMHO, they should be illegal on the female form. Some are sexy, some are alluring, some are down right nasty. Some women simply go overboard. It starts with a small flower or butterfly,then BAM! A walking billbord for lizards & snakes & dragons. I have a 28 year old daughter, tatoo'ed up all over. Started with a small squared off butterfly on base of her neck. Now she has them everywhere. Arms,legs, back, feet, forearms, just really all over. My son, 26 year old, Tatoo's of Mexican day of the dead on his forearm and some words across his fingers about skateboarding. My ex-wife should advertise for area truck stops or a daycare, hers look like a kid with a sharp pin and a box of crayola got ahold of her. All over, everywhere. I can see a small, sexy tat in the right sexy place on a woman body. But when you have half your body covered witha dragon, crawing out of a skull, holding a butterfly, riding a unicorn, while shooting lighting bolts out of dragons mouth...holding the hammer of Thor and wearing the hat of Indiana Jones and all of this is taking place on a mountain that's pink & purple whilst riding a Harley Davidson...underwater.. Then the one with this tat will say " Yea this really explains who I am, these mean something to me"....It's all just getting a little out of hand. Woman reading this, it's your body, you can do with it what you want. But I for one don't think you need body art to freshen up or enhance the female form. It's the most beautiful thing on this lil blue ball of hate. That and kittens.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

enament
reply to post by Night Star

Your comment is kind of like point I am trying to make.I am not in complete agreement,but sometimes I find it a shame when people cover themselves with them,when they had good natural beauty.

My ex GF is a good example with her hideous scorpion on her calf. She could have gotten something more fitting for her. Just my opinion.

That's really what it all boils down to isn't it? Different opinions, tastes and preferences. Was her scorpion badly done? Did she get it just because she thought it was cool and neat?

I find scorpions beautiful, it's one choice I have considered for a tattoo, and have thought about for many years because my son is a scorpio and the scorpion has a particular meaning to the two of us that only we know about. I would also create the design myself for any tattoo I might wish to have.

If I should end up with one or many tattoos at some point in my life, I'd care not one ounce about what anyone else thought about them to be honest. They would be for me and my self expression. If it means that I will never find a partner in the conservative and heavily religious community that thrives where I live, then so be it. I'd rather be alone than be with someone who wishes me to conform to a certain image.

That said, of course we all have different preferences and what is offputting to some is attractive to others, that is just how we are wired.
If you find, that every time you are attracted to a girl, it turns out she has several tatoos, perhaps that really is the kind of mindset/personality that fits you best, and you may have to learn to look past it. Maybe it is worth considering?

Hopefully I'm able to make my points clear without offending anyone, english is my third language so I struggle at times.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Personally I love tattoos on women. But not poorly done crap tattoos.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Is it me or is this an extremely patronising and sexist rant? I couldn't care less if OP doesn't like tattoos, why should I. Why make a thread out of your personal taste?
The point here is because women are supposed to be a certain way or men don't like them?

Last time I looked, women were just as much human as men and can bloomin' well do as they like if they are over 18 yrs old.
Sorry we don't all have long blonde hair and a perfect body to live up to OP's standard. But you know what, screw you.

Just imagine this title instead if you don't get it:Black people shouldn't have tattoos, they should be nice and clean looking or I don't like them

See how wrong you are there? Women aren't playthings, they are real life humans who can do whatever they like. Seriously.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

But you do judge people with tatoos... and you label them. Specially women.

Isn't that why people are getting tattoo's to set themselves apart from other people?

Typically if someone really likes a piece of artwork they would buy it, and hang it on a wall to look at, but people that get tattoo's decide to get the artwork done on themselves, which is fine, but they are most likely looking for attention, and/or to show tattoo's off to others.

Society labels paintings do they not? So if people get tattoo's, then obviously people will label them.

As a society we label things, that is how we learn to differentiate person's, places and things from a very young age.

Women label men, and vice-versa. The only way this will end is when we all take dirt naps.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

I am a woman that has a tattoo. It is a claddagh and on the side of my leg. People can only see it if I wear shorts.

The reason some women get tattoos is this, women have been defeminized by being told that if you are feminine, then you can't do the fun things that men do. When some women were young girls, they were made so ashamed to be little girls because they had fathers who wanted sons or their brothers were treated better. You might not agree with that, but can you imagine what is is like for a little girl being told "I always wanted a boy but I got her, I love her but I wanted a son".

Some little girls are told that girls should be presented as sexual objects, hence the little girl pageants that dress them up as uberfeminine. The message they get from that is that they have to constantly put themselves on display.

For some women, it is about getting the attention for sexual partners. For some women it just means they like the artwork.

But the trend in this country has been that femininity is something to be gawked at, to be put on display. It always has a sexual connotation. Look at Victoria's secret commercials. Is the woman selling underwear or sex? You see, the connotation of Victoria's Secret is all about sex, and how long has sex sold a product. Why are women on calendars?

Men have made women feel that if they are feminine, then they are only good for one thing. Some women don't want to be viewed as one thing and so therefore, they want to level the playing field.

I am sorry men, but you have been defeminizing women, and then when women have reached that point, if they want to be seen as equal then they do what you do. Perhaps there should be more respect for little girls and feminine women, then maybe women will also reclaim their femininity?

Think about it the next time you see the commercial for Victoria's Secret, is she selling you underwear, or the notion that femininity equals sex?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Hecate666
Is it me or is this an extremely patronising and sexist rant? I couldn't care less if OP doesn't like tattoos, why should I. Why make a thread out of your personal taste?
The point here is because women are supposed to be a certain way or men don't like them?

Last time I looked, women were just as much human as men and can bloomin' well do as they like if they are over 18 yrs old.
Sorry we don't all have long blonde hair and a perfect body to live up to OP's standard. But you know what, screw you.

Just imagine this title instead if you don't get it:Black people shouldn't have tattoos, they should be nice and clean looking or I don't like them

See how wrong you are there? Women aren't playthings, they are real life humans who can do whatever they like. Seriously.

That's exactly right, women are not playthings and these same men who treat women that way are the ones telling her that feminine equals sex.

When a man has a tattoo on his back people don't say "He's got a tramp stamp", but they do for women. And why are men not called "whores" "tramps" "sluts" and other names when they are doing the exact same thing?

Why does it become a problem when women do it?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

MRuss
reply to post by enament

I'll tell you this: you don't see people with really good jobs full of tattoos. Not unless they're covered.

I believe these people would probably disagree with you ...20-tattooed executive and white collar professionals
edit on 30-9-2013 by SodderCell because: wording

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

mahatche
I personally think harshly judgmental people have worse character flaws, than anyone who marks their body out of self expression.
edit on 30-9-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

So you're judgmental of judgment? Irony.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
You are entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us. I like having my tattoos and I like it when folks get judgmental about it. Why? Because I don't want stuck up, snobby, judgmental people in my life. I try really hard to not stereotype folks. I try not to be judgmental about things/situations I am ignorant about. I want to surround myself with like minded people.

Just adding to this... I completely agree. I have often used my tattoos(on my arms) as a way to weed out people that I want to deal with... anyone who is uncomfortable, judgmental or at all bothered by them I know to steer clear of. It's a clear indicator of (in general) prejudice, pent up individuals who's minds haven't opened up and allowed them to accept people for more than what they see.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

enament
reply to post by watchitburn

All I can say is Google it you may be surprised at the amount of surveys on the matter.

So because you have a mob that agrees....it makes your position more "right"?

No wonder you seem to have a rough go of it in this thread. LOL

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SodderCell

**GASP**

You mean tatted up folks who are successful dont only run tat shops, headshops, motorcycle shops,... erm.. etc??!! They aren't prone to violence, criminality, or promiscuity??!!

Some here know me, some dont, a very few poor souls here have been to my home.... Im a tattooed degreed entomologist, worked in an ER a decade as an RN, and my last career in my older age has been in the pros attys office working in victim's advocacy. Just think, they didnt keep me hidden from view. Im either just that good.. or tattoos arent the bane of the professional wold as some would like you to believe. I happen to be a tee totalling non-drinking, non-cursing, never even smoked grass in college or ever, involved in community, I kneel to pray, and etc type of person. I was chair of my kids' girl scout troop or God's sake. Im somewhat of a fitness/sports nutball... which is probably more off putting to many than my tattoos!

I will admit my tastes are eclectic.. I may live in a fancy-schmancy historic home.. but I DO have a bunch of carnival gaffs and oddities as my largest collection of crap. I still breed and sell arachnids for the hobbyists. That is more scary to many than my body art. That and my old lady collection of teapots/teacups... thats a hardcore collection. Old women in an antique store will shank you over a teapot.

As for the whole tattoos and motorcycles fixation some have... Im more of a luxury car person. I recently have had a bad argument with my first minibike/dirtbike... for which I lost. Tattoos certainly didnt give me any leg up on the whole motorcycle issue...

Yeah.. these crazy women these days getting tattoos because its a fad.... We wont mention the history of modern women with tattoos, NDN tattoos in NA, ancient tribal tattooing found all over the globe, and whatever you do.. never mention the mummies with their skin tattoed found in Egypt.

You know what Im prejudiced about?? False eyelashes. I can barely contain the compulsion to rip them off...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Xtraeme

mahatche
I personally think harshly judgmental people have worse character flaws, than anyone who marks their body out of self expression.

So you're judgmental of judgment? Irony.

I guess you can see it that way if you'd like. Is this like the homophobes and racists who say "STOP BEING INTOLERANT OF MY INTOLERANCE!!!"?

The way I see it, A person with a tattoo effects no one but themselves.

The judgmental person who is sitting here calling them trashy, unintelligent whores, and acting like they are untrustworthy and shouldn't have jobs, are actually effecting the lives of others. They are perpetuating stereotypes, stripping women of their right to their perceived individuality, and stigmatizing them.

Now we can sit here and play stupid little games about being judgemental of the judgemental, or we can realize the truth that one really is worse than the other.

I personally enjoy being around people who live and let live, over people who constantly judges others from their high horse as if they have no flaws.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

enament

I have had women who would not date me just because I like to grow beards, some women like it some women don't. Some people like tattoos some people don't,if everyone did things the same it would be a boring world..

I agree, but the OP didn't convey that. I think some people in this thread need to understand the difference between a preference, and a judgement.

It's perfectly fine to not like how tattoos look, To each his own. I wouldn't date a girl with bleached blond hair and a botoxed face, but I support their right to do it, and don't think they should be treated like outcasts.

The people who came in and posted about the unintelligent trashy whores, aren't stating their preference, they are making judgement.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

SadistNocturne
I agree with the sentiment that it is entirely too common today. It doesn't "do" what it once did. It's far too cosmetic in approach and spurred on by reality tv......turning it into something "to mean something"...or "to be dedicated to something". So many people approach me and ask "What does your work mean?" It doesn't mean a damned thing. What it is, is an extension of me, and expression of ME, on the one true thing I own, which is ME. It is designed BY ME, FOR ME, to be ATTRACTIVE to ME. It might as well be bio-hazard symbols warning people off, because that is how little I care whether someone else is attracted to them or not.
- SN

Thank you, btw, and I was worried that I came off as a terrible snob on my other post, lol. I'd never in a million years tell somebody that they were trashy because they didn't learn something as a kid. That wouldn't be lady like either, lol.

This little quote of yours right here is almost perfect. The only amendment that I'd say is that even those who get a pre-fabricated type of tattoo are still expressing similar feelings. They are basically placing on their body what they envision to be attractive to themselves, their idea of beauty, and how they wish to see themselves.

Where I personally have a serious issue with tattoos is when it's corporate branding. That, to me, is disturbing and more equivalent of being regarded as cattle. Not many know that many Nike employees, after several years of working for the company, will go through a rite of passage which includes getting inked with the Nike swoosh. Ecko Unlimited, a few years ago, was offering lifetime discounts to customers who had tattooed their brand logo on their body. Rapid Realty in NYC was offering a 15% pay raise for any employee who got a tattoo of their logo.

That's the kind of tattooing that I find a little disturbing. I find it more disturbing than a guy getting his entire head tattooed to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join