It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Prepared?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I am getting prepared.
I got some nails and some wood and a saw and hammer
The schematic diagrams for a wood box 6 foot long by about 2 foot wide for me to sleep forever in.

What a silly premise, can anybody survive a cataclysmic event, or death, no.
Unless you are Jesus

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Too funny

Learning basic skills now, and passing them on, will maximize your survival.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If we have a nasty nuke war like "the day after" survival skills probably will not do us a lot of good.
If we have a limited strike that ends electricity we will need a practical skill.
In the first case we have to consider that we might not have the will to survive.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Skills,absolutely Body, not so much.
Boy Scout,Cav scout ,expert marksman,good with a blade and serial killer charm.
Now if I wasn't 53 with COPD it would be much easier,but one thing I learned.If you have to do it you would ALL be quite surprised what you all could do,with appropriate motivation of course.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
hi,

its suman
i want meet alien can u give me some detail

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

sainisuman261
hi,

its suman
i want meet alien can u give me some detail

Might get luck HERE.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

chucknasty
reply to post by Dalarn

Any modern person that relies on gadgets instead of practical skills. Note - if you are reading this, odds are you have no practical skills to survive long term.

The only people that will endure are the ones living primitively. Those tribal people in those rain forests.

All they'll pass on are stories of a great civilization that had it all. They had flying machines. Raise the dead. Able to rain down death with just a thought.

They'll probably add - but God (or whatever they worship) saw that they were wicked and had to be cleansed. Only the chosen would survive.

Edit. Change the Note to - If you are reading this, you have NO practical skills to survive long term.

Unless you can, from absolutely nothing but your bare hands, build a shelter, make clothes, fish, hunt, grow a sustainable crop AND feed a family and/or tribe - then you are good.
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: edit as above

The primitives will do well unless they die due to fallout or nuclear winter.

The northern hemisphere will likely feel the worst of it unless there is a full arsenal exchange,
then the whole planet will likely experience some of the long term alpha particles entering
the food supply.

One man is living in the Chernobyl exclusion zone and has found foods that do not uptake
alpha particles and he eats it and grows it in the radioactive soil.

They did a documentary on it called "Chernobyl - A Natural History"

Nuclear Winter

In the volcanic winter caused by Toba, the human race was reduced to 3k-10k humans
based on the genetic bottle neck evidence. This had ZERO radioactive component.

Toba - Super Volcanic Winter

Some info on surviving fallout here:

Nuclear War Survival Skills

I think there will be some kind of nuclear exchange at some point, and most ppl do not really
realize how much worse the modern weapons are compared to the 2 small ones used on Japan.

20k vs. 15M

I give you castle bravo as one that filmed of the modern type.

Castle Bravo - largest device detonated by US in atmospheric testing

You are SOOOO gonna want to be below ground for two weeks after one of these goes off.

Duck and cover is a sad joke, only 3 feet of soil or equivalent will stop the fallout.

The fallout cloud drifted 280 miles that they could record.

Castle Bravo fallout pattern

In modern times radioactive dust from Fukushima was recorded falling in very small quantities
here in the US from the upper atmospheric winds.

A large exchange will effect the entire planet based on this.
edit on 28-9-2013 by Ex_MislTech because: content

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
Skills,absolutely Body, not so much.
Boy Scout,Cav scout ,expert marksman,good with a blade and serial killer charm.
Now if I wasn't 53 with COPD it would be much easier,but one thing I learned.If you have to do it you would ALL be quite surprised what you all could do,with appropriate motivation of course.

I think with what is coming hiding may be more important than doing anything.

When the drones are patrolling, missiles are flying, and satellite recon beyond what was seen
in "Enemy of the State" is in play being below ground is likely going to lend more toward a
end result that would look like the word "survival".

If your plan is to be a hero, well we got alot of those in Arlington...

Arlington Natl Cemetary

When it all goes wonky, the cities will not be safe for numerous reasons.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

pikestaff
Having just read these posts, on a PC, I grow vegetables, have two water butts, a 150 pound draw weight cross bow and bolts (crossbow arrows are called 'bolts' as they are short), two years worth of seeds, two months worth of food,
camouflage clothing of various sorts, well, do I need to go on?

Problem with the cross bow, I own one myself, is that you need to be very close to any large prey in order to make a kill shot. Which in reality, is very hard to accomplish unless you have a lot of patience waiting in one spot. Which can be done, but it wastes valuable time that could be spent doing other things. Oh, Make sure you grab a Fly rod, Fish are much easier to catch than large mammals. You will eventually need the fat from meat though because a human cannot live off of Fish alone. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

chucknasty

pikestaff
Having just read these posts, on a PC, I grow vegetables, have two water butts, a 150 pound draw weight cross bow and bolts (crossbow arrows are called 'bolts' as they are short), two years worth of seeds, two months worth of food,

So... you are prepared to continue after whatever cataclysim happens?

Reality check - you and your family will eventually die out. The topic wasn't "I can last because I have preps" but one of can we, modern man, survive. We are F'd - no matter how many seeds you have. Or if you carry a knife or not.

If you can't make stuff from just nature alone - like those tribal people can and do - you really don't have the skills to survive long term. We may feel like we can, but we would all be screwed until we develope the skills needed to last.

Your preps does give you more buffer time to work on the skills needed.

Edit: Crossbow and bolts. Hope you have tons of string for that crossbow...a 150lb one will break after a season of constant hunting. Bolts - good luck making new ones after those fail. 2 Year worth of seeds - great...after your 2 months of food is gone, how many more months before those seeds start producing sustaining stock?
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: as above

To be completely honest,

Why do you keep assuming that everyone is an idiot?

Why can't people, after the ignorant influx of idiots looting and such, dig ore out of the ground, and begin to rebuild?

Smart folks can teach dumb folks how to make windmills and scavange what is available to start a rebuilding process.

I'm not buying your "every smart mechanic will die" scenario.

You can go live deep in the jungle by yourself in a loinclothe friend.

I'm going to rally the "thinkers" and make life a little easier for the rest of us.

Your idea of an apocalypse is not a fact. It's an idea.

edit on 6-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

chucknasty
reply to post by Dalarn

Any modern person that relies on gadgets instead of practical skills. Note - if you are reading this, odds are you have no practical skills to survive long term.

The only people that will endure are the ones living primitively. Those tribal people in those rain forests.

All they'll pass on are stories of a great civilization that had it all. They had flying machines. Raise the dead. Able to rain down death with just a thought.

They'll probably add - but God (or whatever they worship) saw that they were wicked and had to be cleansed. Only the chosen would survive.

Edit. Change the Note to - If you are reading this, you have NO practical skills to survive long term.

Unless you can, from absolutely nothing but your bare hands, build a shelter, make clothes, fish, hunt, grow a sustainable crop AND feed a family and/or tribe - then you are good.

i will give you this, the remote tribes that have little contact with the outside world, do stand a better chance of survival. but have you ever noticed that all of them you see on natgeo, pbs,discovery channels or read about in magazines and see pictures of them, have some sort of outside influence or modern convenience.

whether it's clothes, knifes, water jugs, axes, or what have you, you see something from the modern world in their villages.
so they will not be completely unaffected by a shtf situation.

now if there's a tribe some where that modern man has not seen they will be the ones who make it.

and even that depends on whet kind of shtf occurs, a mile wide asteroid is concider to be a wold killer with in a year or two. only those that have supplies to last that time span can emerge, to start the process of growing food and rebuilding the world.

edit on 6-10-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Fail proof survival plan:

1. Become a cannibal.
2. Eat James Franco.
3. Make Channing Tatum my Gimp.

You can learn a lot about survival by just watching too many movies.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

liejunkie01

chucknasty

pikestaff

So... you are prepared to continue after whatever cataclysim happens?

Reality check - you and your family will eventually die out. The topic wasn't "I can last because I have preps" but one of can we, modern man, survive. We are F'd - no matter how many seeds you have. Or if you carry a knife or not.

If you can't make stuff from just nature alone - like those tribal people can and do - you really don't have the skills to survive long term. We may feel like we can, but we would all be screwed until we develope the skills needed to last.

Your preps does give you more buffer time to work on the skills needed.

Edit: Crossbow and bolts. Hope you have tons of string for that crossbow...a 150lb one will break after a season of constant hunting. Bolts - good luck making new ones after those fail. 2 Year worth of seeds - great...after your 2 months of food is gone, how many more months before those seeds start producing sustaining stock?
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: as above

To be completely honest,

Why do you keep assuming that everyone is an idiot?
At no time did I call anyone an idiot or make a generalized statement that everyone is an idiot. Maybe your assumptions are flawed a tad bit? Dunno.

Why can't people, after the ignorant influx of idiots looting and such, dig ore out of the ground, and begin to rebuild?
To relearn those skills will take quite a long time. During that time, you and me, would most likely be dead due to odds alone.

Smart folks can teach dumb folks how to make windmills and scavange what is available to start a rebuilding process.
True statement. It will take a communal thinking to survive - not the 'I have preps, I'll be ok forever' lone wolf thinking.

I'm not buying your "every smart mechanic will die" scenario.
Never said every smart mechanic will die. I did state everyone reading this will die...hopefully inciting little critical thinking to prove me wrong. Most preppers have a 'only me (or my family)' mentality.

You can go live deep in the jungle by yourself in a loinclothe friend.

I'm going to rally the "thinkers" and make life a little easier for the rest of us.
By omitting any unwanted variable in the process? We should all think for ourselves...but as long as it is your way?

Your idea of an apocalypse is not a fact. It's an idea.
I like your version of the apocalypse better...sounds kinder and very humane.

edit on 6-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

To have an open discussion takes an open mind. I did call out a certain few that are living in a dreamland.

One should be able to take what they dish out - if I hurt your feelings by words on a forum...I send you a virtual hug and pat on the back, "It'll be ok. We are not going to die in an apocalypse - everyone will be ok because we have people like you.. Who will, in the end, save us all by showing us the light."

In the meantime, I'm working on skills instead of making myself a target in a SHTF situation. And judging from my Minecraft skills - I'm golden.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

chucknasty
reply to post by Dalarn

I just quoted this whole statement in response to your reply to me.

I must have read and interpreted the "if you are reading this, you lack the skills to live long term" reply the wrong way.

You are golden friend.

Carry on.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

liejunkie01

chucknasty
reply to post by Dalarn

I just quoted this whole statement in response to your reply to me.

I must have read and interpreted the "if you are reading this, you lack the skills to live long term" reply the wrong way.

You are golden friend.

Carry on.

Read the note...

"Edit. Change the Note to - If you are reading this, you have NO practical skills to survive long term.

Unless you can, from absolutely nothing but your bare hands, build a shelter, make clothes, fish, hunt, grow a sustainable crop AND feed a family and/or tribe - then you are good."

I guess you want to see the what you want to see.

My reply to your previous post:

By omitting any unwanted variable in the process? We should all think for ourselves...but as long as it is your way?

Seems to be spot on in my view.

Thank you for your time and replies.

Chuck

Edit - Lacking skills isn't being an idiot.
edit on 7-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Wow.

I hope not all harcore preppers have your kind of attitude.

Just saying.

Mental note: in the end of days if someone approaches the compound going by the name chucknasty,,,,,,

Help him.

Geez man take a chill pill, or you won't make it , you'll have a stroke.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

liejunkie01

Wow.

I hope not all harcore preppers have your kind of attitude.

Just saying.

Mental note: in the end of days if someone approaches the compound going by the name chucknasty,,,,,,

Help him.

Geez man take a chill pill, or you won't make it , you'll have a stroke.

Can't stand in the kitchen - don't stay in the heat?

Good game - hope to have more of these types of convo's in the future.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Well obviously you think you won something.

I think you proved my intial point quite well.

It's just that you are sitting so high up on you superior pedestal to see it.

Now I know your going to pick apart my statement here and point out my faults.

The mistake you have made is taking my sarcasm as weakness.

edit on 8-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

liejunkie01

Well obviously you think you won something.
No winners if people die....you a sicko or something??

I think you proved my intial point quite well.
The point that I called people idiots....nope. Thinking of only one right now...

It's just that you are sitting so high up on you superior pedestal to see it.
I said I lacked what it took to survive...if you take that as high up on a pedestal..

Now I know your going to pick apart my statement here and point out my faults.
You need to purchase some lottery tickets.. You have the gift of ESPN.

The mistake you have made is taking my sarcasm as weakness.
Nope.

edit on 8-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

And I need to chill??

Not saying you are nuts...

edit on 8-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added stuff

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

chucknasty

But I won't ever live in a world like that, where I will need to build from "absolutely nothing." No modern person will, unless we are magically transported to virgin rain forest.

If the apocalypse happens while you are where you live now, there will be all sorts of ruined crap for you to SALVAGE.

Every house or apartment in your subdivision has a kitchen; with a drawer full of knives of all shapes and sizes.

And every house has a shed or garage, with lawn tools... shovels, hoes, and small engines in the form of lawn mowers and leaf blowers. Even if YOU cannot make an alcohol still, someone in your neighborhood will be able to do so. And someone will have the spare time, once the TVs are all shut off, to learn to convert a lawnmower to run on alcohol.....

Every closet in town is full of ... clothes. You may need to do some sewing. And your kids will have to learn to weave; but for the first decade or so, you can just recycle the clothes of all the people you assume will have died without destroying all their property.

There will be shingles lying everywhere; boards and building materials everywhere.

Any homeless person in a park can build a shelter out of crap they found along the river. Why don't you think you'll be capable of doing what they do?

And once your neighbors get a generator going, the electrical grid will still be largely in place....

Nature abhors a vacuum. A few hours into the "new reality," and 3 people will be getting together, and setting up a new government. They'll be planning to feed you, so they can draft you for one of their work farms....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join