It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Prepared?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
If a nuclear war bursts out or the world gets crushed by a meteor would We be Prepared
to survive?

Does modern man have the experience and knowledge to survive in a poluted and damaged world?

Should we be teaching our children how to survive in a harsh environment without the help of modern technology?

What do you think about End Of The World preppers?

Please state your opinion.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Dalarn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalarn

Any modern person that relies on gadgets instead of practical skills. Note - if you are reading this, odds are you have no practical skills to survive long term.

The only people that will endure are the ones living primitively. Those tribal people in those rain forests.

All they'll pass on are stories of a great civilization that had it all. They had flying machines. Raise the dead. Able to rain down death with just a thought.

They'll probably add - but God (or whatever they worship) saw that they were wicked and had to be cleansed. Only the chosen would survive.

Edit. Change the Note to - If you are reading this, you have NO practical skills to survive long term.

Unless you can, from absolutely nothing but your bare hands, build a shelter, make clothes, fish, hunt, grow a sustainable crop AND feed a family and/or tribe - then you are good.
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: edit as above

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
never can we be prepared enough. i mean how can one be prepared for a giant creature that swallows planets and now you have to prep against being digested with who knows how many other planets? grow lights, means of making enough baking soda to quell oceans of stomach acid, operating in no light, oxygen(unless you have a sealed bunker and a chit ton of grow lights and plants) instead of solar power, one could make eonugh steam to eventually explode the stomach of said interstellar creature hoping the planet would still be in orbit in a solar system of some type. they key would be the manufacturing of baking soda

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Tribes living in abject poverty wouldn't blink if a Nuclear War happened, they are already living in a waste land.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

they might be healthier than the mcdonalds fanatics

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

Yes ,I agree with that.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalarn

could we survive being digested by a giant planet eating critter though?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

All depends if he or she is a chewer I guess

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well my survival plan is to make my way to either the coast or the great lakes. Just find an island and live there. It would be very hard but it would provide that water barrier between where I am and all the zombies and cannibles.

I started to realize though, that the apocalypse isn't actually what we have to worry about. It's your local g=v, the food we're eating, the water we're getting, and figuring out ways to make a living. All this apocalypse stuff is really just having a plan in that event but that's just a plan B of life. Right now you have to contend with real life and survive right now.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

chucknasty

Edit. Change the Note to - If you are reading this, you have NO practical skills to survive long term.

Unless you can, from absolutely nothing but your bare hands, build a shelter, make clothes, fish, hunt, grow a sustainable crop AND feed a family and/or tribe - then you are good.

What a strange binary world you seem to live in. You can't both surf the internet and practice outdoor skills? It's strictly one or the other?

But you're right, I couldn't do that with my bare hands. That's why I'd have a knife on me.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kangajack

accidently inhaled through nostrils then swallowed

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Having just read these posts, on a PC, I grow vegetables, have two water butts, a 150 pound draw weight cross bow and bolts (crossbow arrows are called 'bolts' as they are short), two years worth of seeds, two months worth of food,
camouflage clothing of various sorts, well, do I need to go on?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

pikestaff
Having just read these posts, on a PC, I grow vegetables, have two water butts, a 150 pound draw weight cross bow and bolts (crossbow arrows are called 'bolts' as they are short), two years worth of seeds, two months worth of food,

So... you are prepared to continue after whatever cataclysim happens?

Reality check - you and your family will eventually die out. The topic wasn't "I can last because I have preps" but one of can we, modern man, survive. We are F'd - no matter how many seeds you have. Or if you carry a knife or not.

If you can't make stuff from just nature alone - like those tribal people can and do - you really don't have the skills to survive long term. We may feel like we can, but we would all be screwed until we develope the skills needed to last.

Your preps does give you more buffer time to work on the skills needed.

Edit: Crossbow and bolts. Hope you have tons of string for that crossbow...a 150lb one will break after a season of constant hunting. Bolts - good luck making new ones after those fail. 2 Year worth of seeds - great...after your 2 months of food is gone, how many more months before those seeds start producing sustaining stock?
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: as above

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

khimbar

chucknasty

What a strange binary world you seem to live in. You can't both surf the internet and practice outdoor skills? It's strictly one or the other?

But you're right, I couldn't do that with my bare hands. That's why I'd have a knife on me.

A knife - great. That'll last forever.

The world I live in is a realistic one. I do have skills, with a knife, to where I will survive short term. But I have the least clue on how to make fiber into rope and clothing. I have no idea how to cut down a tree without a modern tool.

I do know how to smelt metal ore (big whoop, but unless I can develope the means to mine the ore..).
I can weave some cane into a fish catching basket - great, hope I end up near a water source.
I know how to cut hair without a cutting tool (or fire) - great if I want to become an apocalypse hair stylist.

Since the topic contained - without modern tech - we are all F'd.

Learn to open your closed minds and do what the instructions state people.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

pikestaff

but when you went for a walk. You didn't see death coming. It was that guy who got drunk while flying his airplane. Unfrotuantely he lost control and it ended up crashing on you.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Many will die in a SHTF scenario most certainly; however many will also survive and carry on.

We are a species that is far more resilient than we often give ourselves credit for and we have proven that time and time again.

According to Wolfram Math World: Population Growth the number of genetically differing individuals needed to sustain and increase a population is not as large as some may think

So, yes

There is hope

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Its in our DNA, everyone alive on the planet right now are the last in a long line of survivors.
Our Ancestors overcame floods, famines, pestilence (sorry getting a bit biblical there) but you get the drift.
We are obviously descended from far stronger people than those who didn't add to the gene pool in times gone by, so our genetic lines have survived and I believe if we needed to we could as well.
All of our ancestors have survived very difficult scenarios and we are proof of that. So dont sell your brother short because when push comes to shove you may well be very surprised how well they can cope.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

rated r

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Meh. Who wants to live forever?
All for the zombie apocalypse/other. Whatever will bring this mess to an end. Plus, it would be interesting. A lot more interesting than working 8 hours a day. Not sure how long I can go without internet though...

Will I survive? Nah. Like it matters.
I'm more the scavenging sort so, yeah, if I run out of things to scavenge, that'll be it for me. I certainly don't want to be part of a group unless I'm the leader/one of the leaders and I'm not competitive enough to take that title for myself, so I'll just let the people do the same foolish mistakes that they will do to themselves anyway. Will scavenge until some rampant infection brings me down I imagine.

Speaking of infection, preppers don't give that enough thought. Someone can be as adroit as possible, but without the means to fight infections, it's over. So, good luck with that ability to hunt/build/farm/protect once you get that scrape on your foot and your temperature starts to rise...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I only have a twelve pack of beer and one bottle of booze in stock, I am not prepared for a long term event like this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join