It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramid from ATLANTIS ancient civilization may been discovered at Açores - Portugal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It looks to me that the sonar did a single incorrect depth measurement, may have been fish, then the software in the sonar connected the dots with the 4 closest other measurements, and came up with this image.

Though I admit that explanation is a lot less cool than atlantian pyramids. Way more likely but less cool.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

ntfaulkner19
reply to post by voyger2

I wonder how many more pyramids will be discovered in the next 50 years. Just the fact that they are widespread throughout this planet and they all have some extremely similar qualities, should lead people to believe something higher than a particular civilizations beliefs. There has to be some deeper connection to all of them... I guess only time will tell.
reply to post by ntfaulkner19

This is my opinion:

In 50 years, scuba diving will have taken a huge leap and many many aspects of the deep will be more transparent. More people will have access to cheaper gear and it will probably be considered a new frontier well more than it is right now. Underwater homes will be "in." So, I can definitely see ALOT more being discovered. The question is - Will they be demolished and kept secret for the sake of 'underwater real estate' or will they be kept and preserved as an 'Underwater Wonder of the World'? I definitely wish them to be preserved. There will probably be group scuba tours and underwater shuttle ships (not submarines) for use in tours. There will be single person and family sized aquatic vehicles that are propelled using water. The possibilities are great, but they would have to be well managed and not owned by the families that rule things on the surface.
edit on 25-9-2013 by RealSuperboy because: incomplete

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Rezlooper

The civilizations you refer to are said to have been within the known history (or no more than say 7,000 years ago), and the reason why there would be a cover up of any civilizations found today to exist 10,000 or more years ago is because we have no explanation for it and it goes beyond everything scholars have taught us. Like I said in another thread yesterday...we humans don't like to think of ourselves not in control!

Howdy Rezlooper

Here are some points to consider:

At one point, ie modern times the knowledge of Sumer had ceased to exist, people in the 19th century were absolutely amazed that it existed, they were stunned because it was not mentioned in the Bible, then the font of all knowledge.

There was zero attempt to 'cover it up' same for all the other unknown civilizations that were found, zero cover up - so why would there be one now - when was it decided and by whom? Harappa and the Minoans civs were found in the 20th century - so who are these inept guys controlling the 'suppression' department? lol...how come Gobekli Tepe and Catalhoyuck were not suppressed too?

The simple reason that Atlantis (if it existed) hasn't left any evidence is because of the possibility we are discussing here...it was submerged under water and completely wiped out.

As I have noted elsewhere Plato wrote that it was an empire and controlled the Mediterranean except for Athens (we'll ignore the fact for the moment that Athens didn't exist then) so why no sign of it? All other empires left copious evidence of their passing. Why nothing from Atlantis?

Similiar to this ancient Japanese pyramid and monolith structures found off their coast in 2007

You mean the natural ridge (maybe modified by man) was suppressed? You should tell Professor Kimura about that, he just retired I believe but is still active.

Here they had found something which at first, when we heard about it, was the remnants of an ancient city which had to be at least 5,000 years old, but most likely much older. Of course, then the "experts" had to disagree and tell us that the structures were most likely natural...lol, yeah, okay. But, also, others suggested if it were a city it was only 2,000 years old. Once again, BS.

So no debate is allowed? No analysis? No subjection of evidence to criticism? The first report and guess cannot be wrong? Here is a simple question for you - what material was found on the island-to which this finger of land was attached - tell us about the culture that was there when this place was 'built'?*

Might want to do that in another thread

edit on 25/9/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSuperboy

Interesting speculation but I would disagree that scuba will make great strives I would suggest that sensory machinery will become better, mini-subs cheaper and more capable and undersea drones will take up most our exploring efforts

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

...and that may be an uncool statement but it might be the truth. Whether the existing evidence will provided sufficient reason to spend tens of the thousands of dollars to put down a camera and dredges - we shall see.

I would suggest that the the proponents of Atlantis put up the money.

You can email the Portuguese archaeological association (A APIA, Associação Portuguesa de Investigação Arqueológica) and convince them to head up the collection of funding and organize the study - however there may be a maritime organization that does off shore work - I don't speak Portuguese so am not sure how they have carved up the exploration pie.

I also hope this is the real archaeological society in Portugal and not a pseudo one!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Aside from the fact that apart from a few members (I don't know any of you enough to say otherwise) are actual experts in some of the areas we are talking about, the only thing we are doing here is all speculation and good old fashion internet pissing contest of opinions, but at the end of the day and to go back to Plato, and many other philosophers, this is a Forum, and as such people discuss points of view, opinions, speculations and have fun and broaden their minds. I see nothing wrong with it. Deep down we would all like for Atlantis, Loch Ness monster and all dem other goodies to be real, because they would infact be amazing discoveries and would make a planet where most of what you see is what you get, having a little bit of mystiscism makes it slightly more interesting
Thats my two cents at least. So I say debate away! Its a lot of fun.
edit on 25-9-2013 by Oldwindshaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Oldwindshaman
Deep down we would all like for Atlantis, Loch Ness monster and all dem other goodies to be real, because they would infact be amazing discoveries and would make a planet where most of what you see is what you get, having a little bit of mystiscism makes it slightly more interesting

Absolutely right. I've been searching for lost civilizations/cultures for a long time, the myth of Atlantis is merely a distraction, from the real efforts to find them and they are being found as we write.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

That's more or less what I would suspect.

I don't want to sound arrogant in saying this, but this goes to show how our present knowledge influences our ability to understand any particular issue. In a sense, people like you and me are "emancipated" from the stupidity that arrests the development of people who cling to this irrational theory.

Mind you, I never like to speak with absolute certainty about things like this. I look at the issue as a matter of probability. Since everything I know about ancient literature indicates that the ancients had an obsessive interest in metaphor and allegory (see the myths and sacred scriptures of countless peoples) it stands to reason that Atlantis is simply another example. It is no more special than the biblical eden or the "gods" who gave men specific knowledge and skills.

So why can''t people understand this basic fact? Because were limited by our knowledge. Some people are fortunate enough to develop beyond such silly fantasies, and as such, can maintain a logical position in many different life areas, while others are saddled by their emotions, by their desires, by their prejudices, by their biases. And they neither know enough to change that, or have the desire to overcome their ignorance. Since, of course, they stubbornly refuse to admit that they are chasing phantoms.

Isn't the idea of Atlantis just a great story? It is. This is why Hollywood latches onto these sorts of ideas. It's entertaining stuff - and modern technology coupled with literal interpretations of ancient texts (see zacharia sitchin for the acme of this irrationality) - yields a compelling story line. Already, a few hollywood movies have been made along this line - and there will be more to come. Remember 2012? Did Roland Emerich seek to "increase awareness" of 2012? Or was he simply banking off of the credulity of quasi-educated internet surfers who triumphantly champion theories and beliefs for so long until.....december 21st arrives and nothing happens. The intelligent ones hopefully get the point and learn to question things they read, and, hopefully, to better understand why they even believed the theory in the first place, and, ultimately, how they should go about assessing conspiracy theories.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

At one point, ie modern times the knowledge of Sumer had ceased to exist, people in the 19th century were absolutely amazed that it existed, they were stunned because it was not mentioned in the Bible, then the font of all knowledge.

Actually, the Hebrew word "shinar" seems fairly close to the Akkadian Sumer. So much so that many scholars (by my knowledge) believe the Bible is accurately referring to the civilization that preceded Babylon. Biblical chronology has Abraham living around 2300 BCE, which roughly corresponds to the twilight of Sumerian civilization.

Why nothing from Atlantis?

It's hard to know just what Plato was thinking when he wrote that. Was it a criticism of Athens? Was he saying that the city-state could be better ruled than Athens was?

If you accept the theory that Atlantis existed, and that it had been destroyed, you are forced to accept a slew of other theories: a) there has been a continuous line of transmission of this knowledge from the fall of the Atlantean civilization. If you do not accept this, then of course, you can turn to aliens and UFOs, or perhaps subterranean kingdoms which have survived the fall of Atlantis (this being an sample of the unrestrained fantasizing of new agers).

Anyways, there are just so many assumptions to make that it really just falls apart once you realize how little evidence this theory really has. You have to make an enormous jump of faith in order to sustain belief in Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You're going to have to contextualize that. By "lost cultures/civilizations" you mean cultures which existed beside or before cultures we already know of, correct?

A big problem I see with Atlantis is the presumption that they were highly advanced politically and possessed superior technological prowess. This is what many people within the conspiracy community hope for when they contemplate about ancient civilizations.

Now, the historian and archeologist gets just as giddy to find evidence of a civilization that precedes a known civilization, establishing a corrective bridge between the unknown and known..

A conundrum surrounding Sumer, for example, is it's plethora of cultural firsts. From political administration, to city planning, to engineering, to argiculture, to mathematics, Sumer was so far advanced than previous cultures. It is of course quote possible that some massive explosion occurred during this era that might parallel the type of explosion that occurred in the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. But, it wouldn't be surprising the discover evidence of a civilization/culture, less advanced, but a bridge between Sumer and earlier hunter/gatherer peoples.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Astrocyte

Actually, the Hebrew word "shinar" seems fairly close to the Akkadian Sumer. So much so that many scholars (by my knowledge) believe the Bible is accurately referring to the civilization that preceded Babylon. Biblical chronology has Abraham living around 2300 BCE, which roughly corresponds to the twilight of Sumerian civilization.

You are correct in saying that the geographical word of Shinar existed but not that it was related to a civilization (it may have been possible that the Hebrews knew of stories about it but didn't write them down) by the time the Bible had come to Europeans the fact that civ behind that word was unknown to them - which was my intended meaning.

It's hard to know just what Plato was thinking when he wrote that. Was it a criticism of Athens? Was he saying that the city-state could be better ruled than Athens was?

He was expressing an idea which was then mocked and satired in the Meropis.

For lurkers here is a summary of Meropis story A satire of Atlantis

The story of Meropis is neither a utopia nor a political allegory; it is a parody of Plato's Atlantis, in a similar vein to the True History which parodied Homer's Odyssey Theopompos somewhat overstates many of Plato's aspects of the Atlantis myth. While it is an Egyptian priest who is telling Solon the story of Atlantis according to Plato's Timaeusit is an Ipotane (a mythical half-man half-horse creature) who is telling the Meropis story to king Midas according to Theopompus Philippica. Although Atlantis was incredibly big by Plato's account, Theopompus describes Meropis as even bigger, to make it completely absurd. Also, while the invading Atlanteans were beaten by Athens due to its perfect society, the Méropes—attacking with an army of ten million soldiers—attempt to conquer Hyperborea, but return in disgrace after realizing that the Hyperboreans were the luckiest people on earth and not worth looting.
Meropis is situated beyond the world-ocean.

Its inhabitants, the Méropes, are twice as tall as other human beings and live twice as long. Theopompos describes two cities in Meropis: Eusebes (Pious"-town) and Machimos (Fighting"-town). While the inhabitants of Eusebes are living in opulence getting neither hungry nor sick, the inhabitants of Machimos are in fact born with weapons and carry on wars steadily. A third city, Anostos, (Place of No return) is situated on the outermost border of Meropis. It resembles a yawning abyss, does not have day or night, and is covered by cloudy, red fumes.

If you accept the theory that Atlantis existed, and that it had been destroyed, you are forced to accept a slew of other theories: a) there has been a continuous line of transmission of this knowledge from the fall of the Atlantean civilization. If you do not accept this, then of course, you can turn to aliens and UFOs, or perhaps subterranean kingdoms which have survived the fall of Atlantis (this being an sample of the unrestrained fantasizing of new agers).

You also have to believe that the AE came into existence and had a way to record information thousands of years before they actually did have that ability (AFAWKN). On that subject a new study of the foundations of the Egyptian civilization came out recently

New Egyptian timeline abstract

Anyways, there are just so many assumptions to make that it really just falls apart once you realize how little evidence this theory really has. You have to make an enormous jump of faith in order to sustain belief in Atlantis.

Yeah when I was 14 I thought it might have existed but by 16 I had read books of archaeology and the idea went ...phufff! However that gap was filled with the initial reports about Çatalhöyük. Which was real.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Interesting news. This reminded me of something a read maybe about 2 years ago, though I forget where, probably here lol. This isn't anything I can back up with right now with links so just take it as food for thought. I'm not claiming anything.

I remember reading a while back that it was observed that when ocean wildlife are migrating across the Atlantic they make big "turns" around an area west of Europe for no apparent reason. What I mean by turns is like... instead of going from point "a" to point "b" in a straight line, they would in the middle of that path, swim in a half circle path as if they were swimming around an obstacle. It was theorized, that there used to actually be an island in this location and that this migratory information was past on genetically from generation to generation over thousands of years to the point that the wildlife just instinctively know that they have to swim around this giant island to get where they're going, and even though the island is no longer there they still swim around that location as if it were.

Furthermore, it was also observed that when birds migrate through that same area they fly around in big circles for days, also, no apparent reason, before continuing on with their migration.With this observation and the observation of the ocean wildlife is how they came to the theory that there must have once been an island in that location. They think that this lost island was once a resting place for the migrating birds who, like the ocean wildlife, passed this migratory information genetically from generation to generation over thousands of years and that the birds still expect there to be an island/resting spot at that point of their migration, and that is why for days they fly around in big circles again and again above the ocean, looking for the island.

Not sure how true that story is but I found it really interesting when I first read it and if true, I think holds huge implications to the idea of a lost/sunken island or Atlantis if we want to call it that, in that area west of Portugal.(Could have just been a normal ol' uninhabited island not necessarily "Atlantis", but it's nice to dream such a place once existed.)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
VERY interesting stuff, however it is a bit odd to me how some random man touring the ocean in his boat (from what it sounds like) was the only person to see this before now.. How wouldn't other, more qualified sources (in the field of discovery at least) have found this with all of the higher technological devices that are out there, used for this precise reason (to explore things, etc)? Perhaps they didn't have the technology or it's very isolated?..

Also, why hasn't there been any physical means to observing it? Such as underwater cameras or, even DIVING down in mere scuba gear, since it's only 40 meters, 130 feet under water? Odd IMO, I would have gone down the instant that I saw such a thing, let alone the amount of people who have now heard of it and could have gone down during this entire time..

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

And you have just answered your own question
The reasoning behind all that is because it most likely nothing, they have already anounced that 2 years ago a topographic survey was done to check for dangerous areas so that area was checked for sure, the equipment the fisherman used was unfortunatly very low tech and many members pointed out, as unfortunate as it is, it most likely is just the top of a mountain.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Oldwindshaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

misscurious

voyger2
reply to post by sunspot0

Since I'm Portuguese I will help you w/ the translations.
It's not a Sand bank... Pyramid was discovered when he was searching for a fishing ground not a sand bank.

He's name is Diocleciano Silva not Diocleciano Smith.

I will leave a nice picture screen

Care to notice, by the contour liner / level lines, the pyramid shape is located in a top of a mountain.
edit on 24-9-2013 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

Id love to see them explain that as a natural anomoly!! If its real its as clear as day what that is!!

No doubt... Check out the capstone on that thing! Looks like its some highly reflective material based on the increased density of lines closer together at the top combined with my limited understanding of this device!

Maybe its not highly reflective but just at a much steeper angle? Like a spire or pointy antenna thingy sticking out of the top? Maybe it's a crystal!

Stay tuned for a major military incursion by all major navies to descend upon the area, making it off limits, for "security reasons"... The question is, how will they manufacture a conflict in this area? Perhaps they use the media to dress it up as a "pirate's safe haven", much like the carribean islands... Hey, its a group of islands... So...you know... Pirates be there! Makes sense right? Somolia can't be too far away... Just plant the seed and let the connections begin forming naturally, as a living beast, thriving and wanting to grow to its maximum size based on the limitations of its environment...like a goldfish! Aha! I've solved it. The answer is: goldfish. We can all go home now. Wait...what?? I was kinda sorta with you there at first but now you've completely lost me...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

3n19m470
Hey, its a group of islands... So...you know... Pirates be there! Makes sense right? Somolia can't be too far away... Just plant the seed and let the connections begin forming naturally, as a living beast, thriving and wanting to grow to its maximum size based on the limitations of its environment...like a goldfish! Aha! I've solved it. The answer is: goldfish. We can all go home now. Wait...what?? I was kinda sorta with you there at first but now you've completely lost me...

Yeah...it kinda started going downhill from there...made me giggle though! So thanks!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vehemens

actually it's the sailor who speak's about that... and yet ... the title reads' "may been discovered" not "was discovered"

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

Well if you are going to defend the thread title then explain how the possibility of a single pyramidal structure indicates anything about Atlantis ?

Did you ever saw IIRC the National Geo. Documentary regarding the possibility of Atlantis in the South of Spain just after The Pillars of Hercules ? The structures found and artifacts ? If anything so far points to a ancient large city state that could match the descriptions of Atlantis it was this location (even stronger than the hypothesis about the lake in South America).

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Hanslune

Therefore their should be Atlantean pottery, habitations, trade goods, signs of resource use (mines) and sunken wrecks in the Med - there aren't, not a single thing.

and of course you know all about how the Atlantean civilization worked and lived in order to make that statement.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldwindshaman

I aim to please.

Giggle: Detected

Giggle: Confirmed

Mission: Accomplished

Somebody gets me! Let's be pals!
lol

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>