It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this new hotness here to stay this time?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Dissent in the ranks!!

I hope ATS takes note of all the complaints going on right now, you can howl you had your chance as much as you like but the truth is many of us never had that chance and only now are we having our say.

ATS do not alienate us, address this issues please because if you don't you'll find a sizable % of the existing and previously loyal membership, leaving!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Hollie

Resentedhalo08
ATS is in very real danger of losing a large % of their users due to all this

If by large % you mean losing 2 or 3 whiners, well then I guess so.

Lot more complaints than that.

Think about what you are asking this person to do with his own site.

If it wasn't for the membership, he wouldn't have a site to run. Think about that.

Regardless of the design, or why its here.... I think it's fair to say that what we have here is a Failure in Change Management.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
So... I didn't participate in the trial as I was too tied up with family and work and took a break away from ATS. I come back to see everything has changed and the "live.php" page has disappeared. Rather blindly stumbling through the new layout I got a bit confused on what was what and decided to post one simple question:

Where happened to live.php?

I don't remember the actual name of the page, but it was the one displaying new, hot and recent topics all on a single page. I had this page bookmarked as it was an excellent way of quickly dropping into ATS and seeing what the topics of the moment were. It was also good to capture breaking news as the page periodically refreshed showing new posts on the left.

Noticing it had gone, and not really sure where I should be asking questions I decided to post a new thread in this forum. Now, I appreciate that the admins must be bombarded with many people's grievances (you can't please all the people all of the time) and it was never my intention to be a bother. That thread is now closed and i've been directed here......

Am I just not looking in the right place or did it not make the cut for the upgrade? If the latter, may I ask why and could we petition to bring it back?

SkepticOverlord, my apologies for being another pain in the arse

link   
reply to post by Sharingan

This "look" may do what the whiners and trolls couldnt do, drive me away from ATS

Likewise.

Why can't there be a mobile site for iThingy users and the last version for PC users. This new one sucks bigtime.

SO says it is to prevent people dropping off. Strikes me it is a darn good way of encouraging it. It may interest the ATS PTB that the drop off is most likely NOT because of the web format but because it has become home to people spouting MSM nonsense and has lost the edge as a conspiracy site.

All we get now is people peddling the MSM drivel and a bunch Merika FY wallahs. It really holds little interest any longer.

link   
I miss the current feature that used to be on the ribbon on bottom of the screen. Other than that, I think I could get used to this.
Text Red

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth
Massive font and space wasting. A 3 line post takes up a whole page.

In your screen shot, the issue is more because of the large avatar/mini-profile than font/spacing.

A while back, I tossed out the idea of reducing avatar sizes and mini-profile background sizes... to a massive foray of "you better not" type comments.

The "1024 wide" version of ATS is much more "tight" than the full-screen version. I'll be adding an option in your member account settings to use that version for those who want to.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie
i had hoped it would be better, i was wrong.
it's just a ugly mess.

and those god awful smiley's.

so far it seems that there are more complaint's than cheering.
and yet just like obama, this administration, goes on and does what it wants over what it's member's want.

change is not all ways a good thing.

i guess it's to the site that shall not be named for me.

edit on 5-9-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

Are you sure that there have been more complaints than there have been cheers? Perhaps in this particular thread there have been, granted. But this thread is in fact dedicated to that, is it not?
For the record, if you posted once again the actual problems the new site has caused I am sure some tech head on here could find you a solution

I know I, not even a tech head, would try
edit on 5-9-2013 by jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Oh come on people. It's not *that* bad.

Now that I've found where the tools I used the most are, it's simply a matter of getting used to the smileys (yes they are kind of lame). I'm sure the designers can do some tweaking to make it not waste so much space.

I think it has a cleaner, more modern look to it.

Remember, ATS costs money to run ... this means they need advertisers. They also need to be able to attract new advertisers and keep existing ones.

If someone has the $$ to pony up for their own servers and bandwith for a site like ATS, I'd like to meet you!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

theabsolutetruth
Massive font and space wasting. A 3 line post takes up a whole page.

In your screen shot, the issue is more because of the large avatar/mini-profile than font/spacing.

A while back, I tossed out the idea of reducing avatar sizes and mini-profile background sizes... to a massive foray of "you better not" type comments.

The "1024 wide" version of ATS is much more "tight" than the full-screen version. I'll be adding an option in your member account settings to use that version for those who want to.

Avatar size didn't seem an issue before.

Thank you, I will try the other setting.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Shadowlink,

You can give me a screen shot of your running processes all you want, it does not mean that ATS is causing the issue.

Also you are only showing running processes from YOU and not from admin or other profiles as indicated in your screen shot. So what you have listed as running, 13 or so applications and services is more like...50.

I don't' care either way whether you like the layout or not, that's not why I responded the way I did. I responded the way I did because you are the only user experiencing this issue. It's never been reporting in beta testing, nor has been an issue with anybody I know who has used the site.

Even with older PC's from the early 2000's.

~Tenth

edit on 9/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Hollie

Resentedhalo08
ATS is in very real danger of losing a large % of their users due to all this

2 or 3 whiners? hardly...

treat us with contempt, seriously... your only shooting yourselves in the foot.

without us there is no ATS, this site needs it's membership to function.

Being belittle and brushed to the side like we're a minority and like children is not only insulting to us but very rude. I have tried my best to remain civil and to give constructive criticism, if the ATS team can't take this for what it is, feedback to actually think about and act on then the so called two or three whiners you say, which is far more, will grow and we'll leave in droves.

Please address the issues ATS, I used to love this site but if this is how you treat your members on top of the already mounting problems I will be leaving like many others may.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This new design is probably great to use on a tablet, but it simply doesn't translate to PC at all. The text and icons are far to big and the colors seem to be too bright. Not to mention the wasted space.

Please include an option to switch between the old-school design and this new "tablet" design. A few sites have suffered from having switched to tablet friendly sites in order to attract that demo-graph, but ended up driving the core users away.

The old design had a certain feel about it, the dark,traditional layout made me feel like I was on a site in a dark corner of the internet away from the mainstream. I liked that tbh. It had soul. Maybe that sounds weird, but I always felt the color scheme and overall design gave that impression.

This trendy garbage has no character or soul at all . Include an option to switch back and I'll be happy.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I said it last time, and I'll say it again: it blows. Forget the awful smilies (I think they should be completely removed), forget the mediocre formatting of the main pages, and forget the frankly horrid attitude of the staff. The simple fact is that because ATS refuses to build a dedicated mobile app, those of us who use an actual computer now have to put up with a dumbed-down, oversimplified design that makes terrible use of the available screen real estate.

Honestly, the only positive thing I have to say about the redesign is the years-late introduction of a Javascript AJAX system for stars and flags.

Edit to add:
And another thing, the new look is chopping off user signatures left, right and center, yet there's still no preview or max length for the sig field in the account page.
edit on 5-9-2013 by ShadeWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

Yes, and this interface will attract more users. If the older ones want to be left behind and stuck in the stone age, well have at it. But to threaten your leaving the site because of a design? It's not like the site went from being conspiracy/informational into a big fat music selling site. Then it would be understandable.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

That's right.

The fact is that the beta testing has been on going for almost a month now. There were multiple threads started and dozens of pages of member contributions to known issues and layout options.

There were multiple PM's sent to ALL registered members regarding the beta.

The staff have done EVERYTHING possible to include as many members in the process as possible.

SO has literally spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours developing this site by himself.

There is no option to go back to the old format as the entire site was re-written from top to bottom.

The re-design is here to stay. Modification will surely be made as they are necessary and as SO deems appropriate through his own wants/needs as well as the needs and wants of the membership.

As has ALWAYS been the norm with ATS re-designs. Had you been around during the last two, you would know that.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Isn't it T&C to have a profile name etc, your avatar is showing as nothing, no name.

Core users are the bread and butter of forums and also important in content.

People are complaining because the UI is not PC friendly and is making the site tedious to contribute to.

Those of us that actually like ATS and regularly contribute VALUE the site and that is the purpose of mentioning these complaints because we want to continue using the site and not driven away by UI issues.

The criticism is CONSTRUCTIVE.
edit on 5-9-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Heliophant
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Ya, I got hit with that on one of my threads where I was getting some authorization thing.

All they could have said was "It is a beta, # happens" and would have been good enough for me. Sorry but I work two jobs and sometimes I don't have the time (or I simply ignore) little stuff like beta testing of a site I go to.

You should really throw this on the front page so people will come here.
edit on Thu Sep 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Nah, I think you better count again, this isnt going over well at all and as far as it being "his" site. They wouldnt have gotten anywhere without us members.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

That's right.

The fact is that the beta testing has been on going for almost a month now. There were multiple threads started and dozens of pages of member contributions to known issues and layout options.

There were multiple PM's sent to ALL registered members regarding the beta.

The staff have done EVERYTHING possible to include as many members in the process as possible.

SO has literally spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours developing this site by himself.

There is no option to go back to the old format as the entire site was re-written from top to bottom.

The re-design is here to stay. Modification will surely be made as they are necessary and as SO deems appropriate through his own wants/needs as well as the needs and wants of the membership.

As has ALWAYS been the norm with ATS re-designs. Had you been around during the last two, you would know that.

~Tenth

I understand the need to evolve, but this feels the opposite in my opinion.

It looks like a 14 year old designed the site, no insult meant there. But it looks just terrible.

As for talking down to me, like I don't know about previous re-designs. I've been a member before you have, I have also been a lurker before joining for FAR longer.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join