It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Debt Ceiling, the real reason we're going to attack Syria?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

(Reuters) - A vote in Congress over whether to launch U.S. attacks against Syria is expected to wreak collateral damage - leaving too little time on Capitol Hill to deal with fast-approaching fall deadlines to fund government agencies and raise the debt limit.

That increases the likelihood that U.S. lawmakers will agree to a short-term government funding measure to get them through the fall, postponing for another day any broader deal or big showdowns.

The House of Representatives had previously scheduled only nine legislative days in September after they return from summer recess on September 9, prompting analysts to view this as barely enough to pass government funding legislation in time to avoid a federal shutdown as the new fiscal year starts October 1.

But now much of that time is likely to be eaten up with a contentious debate over authorizing the use of military force to punish Syria, analysts say.

With Republicans and Democrats still deeply divided on how to shrink U.S. debt and federal deficits, the odds for a comprehensive agreement that replaces "sequester" spending cuts and lifts the debt ceiling have fallen dramatically.

Linky-poo

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Our economy is collapsing. Our debt limit has been reached. Our country is in the crapper.

I wrote a thread about the moral ambiguity of attacking Syria.

This is a thread on their motive.

Read, comment, ignore, or send me a nice bottle of scotch (send me a nice bottle of scotch).

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I actually came to a similar conclusion last week when I saw the deadline coming near. S&F

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Usually agree with ya Beezzer, but not this time.

I think we're being used as puppets in Syria in the eternal Shia vs. Sunni war that dominates Islam. I fully believe the Kingdom (Saudi Arabia) is behind the funding of the FSA to destabilize Syria, as well as supplying the FSA the sarin used in the attack, knowing full well that a gas attack would get international attention and put our "president" into a position of weakness.
Which would leave him with little option but to strike the Syrian government in feigned international anger.

Obama is a liar and a master at obfuscation, but I think this issue is above his paygrade.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Dreine because: I misspelled the bunnies name!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I dunno it's a real gamble ,I mean why risk ww3 with all this hardware racing towards the ME when all they need is one well-placed shot? something to think about
edit on 5-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
reply to post by Dreine

I dunno it's a real gamble , mean why risk ww3 with all this hardware racing towards the ME when all they need is one well-placed shot? something to think about

Why?

Record profits for OPEC. When the bullets start flying, the oil must flow.
Practically every 'mysterious' occurrence in human history is either the result of greed, or lust.
And I don't see Obama having the hots for King Saud...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

It's the timing I find suspect.

If this was important, then why wait until recess was over to form a vote?
Why involve congress at all, if Obama already plans to strike Syria?

I honestly predict that Obama will order an attach this month to forstall any talks about limiting spending.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by atsmediapro

Great minds. . . .

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Does that include destroyed oil facilities? I think not

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Dreine

It's the timing I find suspect.

If this was important, then why wait until recess was over to form a vote?
Why involve congress at all, if Obama already plans to strike Syria?

I honestly predict that Obama will order an attach this month to forstall any talks about limiting spending.

First... did anyone else have their ATS change format just now? Weird...

Secondly, I think the timing of this works mainly for the UN inspectors mission in Syria. Also, giving Congress the 'priviledge' of authorizing a strike (which is their Constitutional duty!) is simply a show, we know that now. The sooner he can launch, the better for him...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission... old adage.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Interesting. I heard something like this on the radio...

Something about the U.S. government not being allowed to raise the debt ceiling when their economy reaches the limit in late October / early November this year (because of some law from 2011), the only exception being in times of war.
And also that this is the reason why the U.S. didn't strike right away... because the economically most sound moment is as close to the limit as possible, so Obama can stay solvent until the end of the year.

Of course this is all based on assumptions... is there any truth to this?
edit on 5-9-2013 by ColCurious because: several typos

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

A localized war in Syria wouldn't affect the Saudis ability to process and ship oil in any way.
Whatever profits they might lose from damage to a Syrian line will be greatly offset by the need of the West for vast amounts of oil to power warships, fighters, and other equipment.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's the reason.
This whole middle east thing is just an old plan, trying to take control over the Middle East.
Like they once had this big war against communism.

That said; it's more like how foolish they are, where they think and believe they can get away with everything they want, thinking they are all safe, that nobody can touch them.
So they don't even care about this debt ceiling really (anymore), they think meh, yea we will raise it no problem, but when the time is there, they perhaps get in a situation where they can't pay their bills, loosing their AAA credit rating and or suddenly their interest rates on their debt goes skyhigh, where things just go in a spiral out of control?

Damn I want to see their faces if this might happen

edit on 5-9-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

ColCurious
reply to post by beezzer

Interesting. I heard something like this on the radio...

Something about the U.S. government not being allowed to raise the debt ceiling when their economy reaches the limit in late October / early November this year (bacause of some law from 2011), the only exception being in times of war.
And also that this is the reason why the U.S. didn't strike right away... because the economically most sound moment is as close to the limit as possible, so Obama can stay solvent until the end of the year.

Is there any truth to this?

edit on 5-9-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

This is why I'm speculating. Glad to see I'm not the only one who is suspect of all this!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Of course Obama's reasons may be entirely middle eastern-centric, but I have my doubts.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It was in the news commentary on German radio this week. I don't remember exactly when (I think it was the day before yesterday). Supposedly some financial newspaper also suggested this possibility.

*Sorry I had to edit my post a little.
edit on 5-9-2013 by ColCurious because: way too tired

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is the case of all of the above are the correct answers.

Never letting a 'good crisis' go to waste.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
More and more motives for them to attack,

Saudi's, Israel, Our own economy.

No wonder they are marching so strongly toward this... They think WW3 will be better than the alternative...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The economy is in the tank anyway, why not start a war? That keeps attention away from the fiscal mess, and keeps people watching tv for the updates.

Unfortunately, this time, 91 % of Americans are against the war. Bad move, Obama.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No, not the debt ceiling....the bonds bubble is what will do us in....the whole world

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

all2human

Does that include destroyed oil facilities? I think not

How about Russia's new 'Super Duper' scrap metal I mean missile boat. Anybody check to see how much they plan to collect when it gets sunk yet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join