It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Obama: US Will Help Rebels To Defeat Assad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The US has a plan to help Syria's rebels bring down the Assad regime after launching military strikes, President Obama has said.

Mr Obama said again that military action against Syria would be "limited" but suggested a strike would go further than simply punishing President Bashar al Assad's alleged use of chemical weapons.

The president said he was confident that Congress would vote in favour of military action and called for a prompt vote on the issue.

During a meeting of congressional leaders at the White House, he said: "What we are envisioning is something limited. It is something proportional. It will degrade Assad's capabilities.

"At the same time we have a broader strategy that will allow us to upgrade the capabilities of the opposition."

Washington is currently assessing whether to order sea-launched strikes against Syria, with President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden attempting to convince Congress of the need to intervene.

Mr Obama clarified his intentions after influential senators John McCain and Lindsay Graham met with him and said they expected US military action to be "more robust" than previously thought.

Mr Graham said: "It is all in the details, but I left the meeting feeling better than I felt before about what happens the day after and that the purpose of the attack is going to be a little more robust than I thought."

Mr McCain said in an interview that Mr Obama did not reveal what weapons might be provided to the opposition in Syria or discuss in what targets might be attacked.

news.sky.com...
edit on 3-9-2013 by deviant300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

" Mr McCain said in an interview that Mr Obama did not reveal what weapons might be provided to the opposition in Syria or discuss in what targets might be attacked. "

So , does that Not Rule Out Chemical Weapons also ?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

They already possess chemical weapons. There is so much evidence for it . Why would any sane person support the rebels is beyond crazy.Assad is obviously no saint For USA to actively support know terrorist organisations is quite frankly a war crime and those in the higher ranks should be put on trial for it.

There is lots of evidence of the rebels having chemical weapons . Here are a couple of older articles I found earlier
evidence of rebel sarin gas use

Mad mad world we live in

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
give them suicide vests,

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

Its not just Obama...

In-case anyone forgot:

McCain visits rebels in Syria.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So he's helping Al Qaeda??? Treasonous...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
He is going to support these rebels??

en.alalam.ir...

edit on 3-9-2013 by sueloujo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Very well said!

What I find alarming are the congressmen coming forward to support action in Syria (some of the same who opposed war in Iraq) yet we haven’t seen a shred of evidence that Assad’s people used chemical weapons.

WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE??? I want photos, video, conversations, or SOMETHING that actually ties Assad to this atrocity. If they have, show it!! Otherwise, shut the hell up with the accusations!! How can ANY congressman support a strike without evidence???

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

The Brits seem to know something the rest of the west is not willing to entertain , the possibility that this is all nothing more than a Game to get rid of Assad no matter what the Truth might be.....
edit on 3-9-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Why are we fighting europes wars for them?
I'm getting tired of it.

Mr. Assad must of done something bad that they want him out.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, why not? Why shouldn't Obama arm a bunch of extremists (At BEST for a description) and give them the best weapons in the world, when we know they'll only use a small portion while the best are hoarded for later.

After all, it's not like we haven't tried this before. In fact, tried this very thing, now that I think about it. Yes... It's not as if Afghanistan in the 1980's wasn't precisely this same agenda and outcome for planning.

What could possibly go wrong?? Obama is the Messiah! He only flies to Europe because walking there would be too tiring for him. Surely, he will do it right where everyone who has ever tried this within living memory has screwed the pooch while killing people to make things WORSE..never better, it seems.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It's so obvious that the war has been planned for some time. They were never going to let anyone get in their way. The war began in 2001. It has continued since then, from Iraq and Afghanistan to Pakistan, Libya, Algeria, Egypt and now Syria.

I'm reminded of this Nostradamus verse (my translation, 8:77)

The third antichrist is quickly annihilated.
But his war lasts 27 years
The heretics are killed, captured or exiled.
The blood of human corpses cover the bombed earth

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Yes maybe. It could be. Then it may simply be some Machiavellian/Sun Tzu outward show of division with private strong support. For any number of reasons.

By the way....as far as weapons news video clips have shown, although not said, that some of the rebels have wire guided anti tank/bunker systems, are using "captured tanks' and if the Syrian use of heat flairs is any indication, shoulder held anti aircraft weapons. So in reality we are way down the road here. Certainly this will help us understand how the rebs have been able to keep the Syrian regulars at bay for so long now. In fact the use of gas by the Syrians may simply demonstrate the desperateness of their situation in the face of weapons parity.

edit on 3-9-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I'm getting tired of it.

Last time I checked Syria was in Asia .....

Riouz

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I'm getting tired of it.

Europes war? Surely you jest?

It's actually Israels war, or more accurately, ANOTHER of Israels wars. This has nothing to do with Europe but everything to do with Israel and their poodles in the US political system, as well as those heads of some European states.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have a feeling Obama will take out the supply lines of Syria. That will force Syria to use unprotected roads which the rebels can do attacks and arm themselves with weapons from the Syrian army. Obama can simply say we took out the roads used to transport chemical weapons and artillery used to launch them. He helps the rebels without admitting it to the public.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It should be clear by now that the rebs have had a steady and reliable stream of weapons and supplies for some time.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

give them suicide vests

Forget that, how about those Suicide Tits I've been hearing so much about as of late.

I think it is going get allot messier before it is said and done.

I believe what the U.,S. has done is to choose the lesser of the 2 evils.

What I can see happening is, .. . that we will aid the rebels in killing Assad, .. Then,. . we will find a reason to go after the rebels.

Don't forget the #1 rule of assassination .. .. .. ..

Assassinate the Assassins.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ok I cannot get into any more arguments or attempt to shed light on this, there are reasons going back centuries for what we see on the surface of good guys and bad guys and always staying like that.
Blood oaths and secrets make the world go around, dead men tell no tales, shhhhhh

We know there are so many connections behind the players in today's issues concerning Syria, and other countries.
And since ATS likes to deny ignorance, and we have a good deal of people that believe in conspiracy theories.

Does anyone else know anything about this ? or even care to use it to assist in understanding what is in play, and who is actually in control of this situation ? if you only see it for the politics and simply some random culmination of events, you have to be totally ignorant to not heed what General Wesley Clark said about the " The Plan" well who is really behind "The Plan" ?
Assasins and Templars in case you did not know are old pals! you will probably ask what the heck am I talking about, but I let you connect dots and start coming to your own conclusions and understand the script.

Connections and alliances change, the good ol hegelian dialectic in full effect for other causes and favorable outcomes!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
OF COURSE. If anyone thought Obama was just wanting a 'shot across the bow' .. they are silly.

ATS Thread - Obama's Syria Proposal Seeks Broad War Powers Despite Vow of Limits

top topics

<<   2 >>

join