It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: We may be launching ATS.5/3 today.

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
and now that I have data from the few hours the new site was running...
New visitors looked at an average of 4.3 thread pages (content) as opposed to 2.7 in the current design.

Maybe, but is that because they came to see what the fuss was about?
I think you'll need data from a longer period than a few hours to see whats really happening.

I also dont think the loss of traffic you mentioned had anything to do with design, it happened because people have been frightened away by recent spying revelations.

Just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

No, there isn't. You hate change, get past it and rejoice in the functionality and brilliance. Seriously.

I am willing to bet 1 U.S. Dollar(a real one - wait- is there a real one left?) that in a month you are posting away oblivious to this upgrade.

That how it was last time...........

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I'll take that bet!

In a month, if the new theme looks as childish as it did earlier today, I won't be here to post anything.

Let me know if you want me to PM you my address so you can send me my money.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

True that many will likely be posting away in due course as happily as ever. . . . assuming WW3 is delayed.

It does occur to me that SO might want to change his avatar while managing this transition.

The current one HAS to be triggering LOTS of ATTACHMENT DISORDERED responses from folks who did not receive sufficient qualities and quantities of daddy love.

LOLOLOL

wellll . . . sort of LOL

It's likely a true phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink

I'll take that bet!

In a month, if the new theme looks as childish as it did earlier today, I won't be here to post anything.

Let me know if you want me to PM you my address so you can send me my money.

I find this interesting in the sense that ATS is about content. While I happen to like both the current and the new look ( and the 3 that came before for that matter ) - the content is what matters here to me... not the formatting or gift wrapping.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
But on my HP TAB with Android it has always run exactly like as if it were running on the computer with windows. A fully functional web page. Not mobile app like. I've always wondered why it always had to very from platform to platform.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Seriously,

Have you taken a look at other sites? Many are piss poor copies of ATS, or the same crap that's been around for the last ten years.

We need some sort of change, and they are offering it. The other option could be nothing.Think about that. This is their business and their love, with a lot of time poured into it . I am amazed at the backlash for functionality.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
what is all this fuss about? I must have missed the big Matrix version rejection or something...

I was out working... It looks like they went live with the new version.. Same thing I mention during the beta, the 800x600 resolution effect for the mobile devices people are not liking...

I am not sure if allot of people will put up with that, for long.. it really hinders reading threads... In my opinion, they are changing the version to make it more up to date for moblie devices to bring in more traffic to make more money.. Of course duh, no way in here SO would waste all his time redesigning the site.. This version has been around for years so there will be push back.. I am just not to sure about this new version, and the clunky handling when it comes to overlooking threads, it feels to close, makes me feel old looking at font so big man.. I said this in the beta also.. It seems that cannot be fixed, and I think in the long run, it will hinder people on real computers vs mobile devices.. Yet its all about money thou folks.. More traffic means more money..

I get it.. We will either have to conform to it, or find somewhere else to go.. I reminisce on the good ole days

/me still misses the old chat...

a positive it will be easier for me to read the news on ats during my lunch break now..

edit on 30-8-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think I am missing something. What is the color change? Gray to blue-gray? Not seeing much difference. I don't see the DARK either. What am I missing?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Originally posted by Krakatoa
I think by changing to cater to the mobile/tablet crowd, you may be sacrificing the desktop/laptop crowd.

I agree completely with this.

Skeptic Overlord, If there is any way you can make the new design's font sizes scaled differently so that it doesn't look like I'm reading,
"See Dick.
See Jane.
See Dick and Jane run."
...that would help immensely.

And thank you to the folks that pointed out that the white/gray can be adjusted.

The new pages loaded quickly--that was nice.

ETA: My ATS addiction is via a 15" laptop running Chrome.

edit on 8/30/2013 by Olivine because: add info that may or may not be helpful

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Hefficide
I find this interesting in the sense that ATS is about content. While I happen to like both the current and the new look ( and the 3 that came before for that matter ) - the content is what matters here to me... not the formatting or gift wrapping.

I agree completely Heff, the content IS what's important, but when I get the feeling I'm looking at said content on a site designed for 8 year olds I'll gladly get that content elsewhere, or I'll go without it completely.

sonny1
Seriously,
Have you taken a look at other sites? Many are piss poor copies of ATS, or the same crap that's been around for the last ten years.

We need some sort of change, and they are offering it. The other option could be nothing.Think about that. This is their business and their love, with a lot of time poured into it . I am amazed at the backlash for functionality.

Offering it? Forcing it is more like it.
If my choices were the new theme or nothing, I would gladly take nothing. I have thought about it.

I'm aware this is their business and love, I been here long enough myself and in all the time I been here, if my browser is open, there is an ATS tab or 20 open as well.

Seems to me they are just trying to cater to dumbPhone users. I doubt very much content is contributed to ATS via phone.

The colors of the theme are not my issue, my issue is with the sheer size of all the graphic portions of the pages. It looks like it suited for people/children with impaired vision.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

It looks like it suited for people/children with impaired vision.

Which is your opinion. If you choose to not come back to ATS over a visual design issue, as opposed to the content and community that has been built over the last decade, well I don't really know what to say about that.

I would think that as somebody who proclaims to love ATS, that you would at the very least give it a chance and not insult the designer repeatedly with comments about how 'childish' it looks, after having used it for no more than 4 hours.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Just keep chasing after shiny baubles.
enjoy that.

The new designs not so bad. i don't mind the majority of it at all. The smiles can use some tinkering. And I wouldn't mind the "go dark" feature being a little darker than it is.

But all in all, SO did a bang up job.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

Originally posted by BO XIAN
With WW3 looming closer and closer . . . there really ARE bigger things than to whine about petty details of the site's design. imho.

finally a comment I can agree with...

really, its their website. you either continue to participate or you find another forum
That's 2 observations I'm in total agreement with.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Which is your opinion. If you choose to not come back to ATS over a visual design issue, as opposed to the content and community that has been built over the last decade, well I don't really know what to say about that.

I do...shadowlink sucks, so stop wasting your time 10th...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

If my choices were the new theme or nothing, I would gladly take nothing. I have thought about it

Bye. 'cause the changes are coming. We'll miss you.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

the content is what matters here to me... not the formatting or gift wrapping.

So...you would agree with me that the decline in traffic is not due to aesthetics?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

No matter how pretty the package.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I actually think by just adding some color changes to the various icons and perhaps improving the padding or margins of some items, this responsive theme could really work, making many more people happy.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I actually think by just adding some color changes to the various icons and perhaps improving the padding or margins of some items, this responsive theme could really work, making many more people happy.

THis is the common running theme.

It could all be as simple as adding in some drop shadow to help create the lines for contrast. It doesn't need much, just a little nudge to help folks with tired eyes a little.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Front-end designer here. I thought it was very intuitive and easy to use. The drastic change took a minute to get used to, but over time I thought it was much a better, more minimalist and quicker experience.

I'm sure not everyone is used to responsiveness quite yet – or any drastic change it seems – but I think it is a step in the right direction in terms of usability and speed. On my phone it looked great, quick to load, easier to read and so forth.

It's a large website with many elements and components, I can't say I envy you in its re-design, but I think you did a good job so far.

Good luck.

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join