It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by FlyersFan

No, they're not asking for 'a career salary', they're asking for a living wage. There's a difference.

And they aren't willing to work for that living wage ...
Flipping burgers isn't a job that requires skills or an education.
Therefore, it doesn't deserve a higher salary than minimum wage.

Basic economics ... the more education and/or skills needed to do the job, then the more money you are worth to fill that job. There is no education and no skills required to flip burgers. Nearly any adult can do it. Therefore, the pay will be low.

The more education or skills required for the job .. the more you will be paid if you have the education or skills required.

It's very simple ... not hard to understand.

They work and should get paid enough to live on. So what if flipping burgers doesn't need skills? It's still work.

You well-off haters just don't want to have to pay more for your heart-attack burger and double fries, you earn it but don't want to spend it. Deep pockets and short arms.

You want a burger, cooked for you to save you your precious time? You're earning plenty, so stump up for the convenience.

I hope this action rubs off and gives others the courage to stand with them.

I’m arguing at a wall right now. you Increase minimum wage, it will increase the cost of goods sold, making that new wage mute due to inflation. Are you all so short sighted that you can’t see 10 feet ahead of you? There NEW wages will be a wash.

if they want higher wages, get a better job.

Name calling to prove a point doesn’t work.

Can you provide economic data that would show raising the minimum wage to be better for everyone? Hell, if we’re going to make it $15 an hour, why not $100 an hour? That’s even more livable right?

edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And what about the seniors who can't live off their social security/retirment? What then? What about the older adults who got layed off because their company was downsizing? You really think there are many oppurtunity's for seniors and older adults to get jobs? There are not. What about the middle aged adults who had to leave a good job because they got cancer and were out of job for a few years while recovering? A big time lapse between jobs will have many prospective employers saying "thanks for coming in, i'll call you".........they will never get called.

You act as if ONLY teenagers or " losers"are the ones who need a job and that's just simply not true. Mcdonalds is almost and only one of the few places people of any age can get hired. Prior health concerns no problem, age no problem, speak only spanish no problem.

At a messed up time in my life I found myself homeless and no one would hire me because I had no address. Then I walked into a Mcdonalds and got a job and l lived at a park until I saved enough to get a studio. Then I continued to work there until I found something better more livable.

But I never forgot that they hired me, I was never more greatful for a job.

I bet if you went and looked at these protestors you'd see several seniors and adults and less teens than you imagine.

edit on 29-8-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
never mind. Camero beat me to it.

edit on 29-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

minimum wage is just that, for uneducated workers with minimum skills.

What a rude statement.

For some a minimum wage job is all they can find right now. I know people with multiple degrees who worked as engineers at the Space Center here and now they can only find minimum wage jobs. In some areas finding a good paying job is highly difficult.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Dude ... the job IS NOT WORTH $15.00 an hour. It simply isn't. And if you hand these people nearly the same salary as a degree'd chemist, then you'll have to significantly raise the wages of the degree'd chemist. And if you significantly raise the wages of the degree'd chemist, that will be bumping the engineering salaries and you'll have to significantly raise them. etc etc. And then the burger flipper won't be making a living wage at $15.00 but instead will want $25.00 an hour. And the whole cycle starts again.

BASIC ECONOMICS. Not all jobs are skilled/educated. ANYONE can do them.
Therefore they don't get paid as much as the harder to fill jobs like doctors or chemists or engineers.

Comeon .. this should be fairly simple to understand ...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Then you sell and move. If what Texan was saying is true those people you know can move to Texas and really make a mint.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

You well-off haters just don't want to have to pay more for your heart-attack burger and double fries, you earn it but don't want to spend it. Deep pockets and short arms.

Why is it that when confronted with real world examples and knowledge provided by years of studies people on the "liberal" side of these debates result to name calling. They don't offer anything in retort except for emotional responses and vitrol. It is pretty sad.

I actually refuse to eat at McDonald's. I prefer to cook my own burgers. I also donate to charity, schools, and needy families. I left Nashville to follow a career that allows me to serve others. I am trained to help people in mental health and substance abuse crisis. I donate my time and money to actually helping people hands on. I venture to say that is a damn sight better than fostering an entitlement society that believes simply showing up should earn you a big reward and that everybody deserves the same return despite their actual effort.

great.. but guess what.. give a man a fish and he'll be dependent on u every time he is hungry.

give a man a damn decent job and he could provide his own fish.

u guys just love having ppl dependent on u and who u can look down on.

how's that for a constructive critique of ur position?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

What a rude statement.

It's the truth.

And yes, people who are educated and have skills sometimes have to take these burger flipper jobs. But the fact is that those jobs are not supposed to be there to support entire families. If you pay burger flippers $15.00 an hour, then the burgers won't cost $3.00 but instead will cost $6.00. No one will want to pay that. Then the business goes under and everyone is out of work.

These jobs aren't supposed to be 'forever' jobs. They are just supposed to be starter jobs.
The person is supposed to try to raise themselves up from them ... not sit and wallow in them
while demanding more money for a job that isn't worth more.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Then you sell and move. If what Texan was saying is true those people you know can move to Texas and really make a mint.

It is so easy to just say sell and move. Not everyone has the option to just up and leave. Jesus people. I'm so glad you have it so well you can sell everything and pick up and move cross country without a second thought.

I get so tired of people saying this as the only answer. Do you have any idea what it costs to move cross country? Or what it costs to move into a new place? How do you interview for jobs? Oh yea you have to go there first which costs money! So what happens then? Are you gonna pay for someone to go to a job interview in another state?

Not everyone has possessions that can be sold to fund a move. I know a few people who moved but they had the money and it cost them about 5k min. So no it's not that easy for many.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

Please spell out your posts. We don't use texting type words here.
I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in the T&C somewhere.
Just FYI.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Two ways to fix this. Investors and owners take less profit AND the rest of us pay $10 for a big mac.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer that if you want more money then you go out and get an education, learn some sort of trade or skill or join the military.

The employers pay people based on the job and skills required to do that job, we're talking about fast food workers asking for $15 dollars an hour...I just can't agree with this.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Actually I do know how hard it is. I also understand that some people can't. If you were making decent money and smart you should have enough equity and savings to do it. Me and my wife make about $50,000 combined. Yet, we have two cars that are paid for and thirty grand in home equity. If we had to sell and move we could.

Some people can't move because they have sick parents or something of that nature. For most people the truth is simple, any excuse is better than hard action.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

What a rude statement.

It's the truth.

And yes, people who are educated and have skills sometimes have to take these burger flipper jobs. But the fact is that those jobs are not supposed to be there to support entire families. If you pay burger flippers $15.00 an hour, then the burgers won't cost $3.00 but instead will cost $6.00. No one will want to pay that. Then the business goes under and everyone is out of work.

These jobs aren't supposed to be 'forever' jobs. They are just supposed to be starter jobs.
The person is supposed to try to raise themselves up from them ... not sit and wallow in them

no i disagree. that statement cannot be an absolute truth. because there are many ppl who can file paperwork with exceptional efficiency, yet to mix just a bowl a cereal they might burn down the house. far less to actually create a burger.. that might take the whole block

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So i guess it would have been impossible for McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc to pay their workers more then the minimum wage and avoid cutting hours to by pass Obamacare?

I agree the minimum wage shouldn't be raised, i even agree that it shouldn't be a permanent job, Flipping burgers for a family of four isn't difficult, flipping burgers for a family of four x 15 + every hour for eight hours straight is a nightmare that most sensible people will do anything to escape.

Perhaps it should operate in a structure similar to what an electrician's assistant or something else would do, there is your entry level and then there is your professional level, or whatever you want to call it, because i assure you there is a difference in places like McDonalds between the lazy and the serious.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The job isn't worth $15.00 an hour. It simply isn't.
And you'd have to bump up all the salaries everywhere to compensate.
And then the $15.00 an hour burger flipper would demand $25.00 an hour to make up for it.
and on and on and on .... the cycle would repeat ....

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Please spell out your posts. We don't use texting type words here.
I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in the T&C somewhere.
Just FYI.

u mean like "FYI" and "T&C"?

please spell out your posts this isnt text typing.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Minimum wage is a small scale example of communism to me. Do the bear minimum, everyone gets paid the same. These people are protesting to increase their wages with no increase in productivity.

Capitalism is working at minimum wage to gain a skill, saving your money, and opening up your own fast food joint when you gain experience and capital.

Let’s take a look at my favorite local hamburger joint. They take the Hennery Ford Economic model. They Start their employees at $15 an hour. Being a “non-skilled” job, that’s a lot. Anyone working at McDonalds would take that job in a heartbeat right? There’s a catch to this job, you must produce! Those that work hard keep their job at this burger joint. Because of their hard work and increase in production, burgers are cheaper. (because they can make more burgers in a shorter period of time.) Those that don’t produce get let go. With this dynamic, those that don’t mind working hard get paid more, those that don’t like to work hard get kicked to the curb and have to work back at McDonald’s.

With minimum wage you don’t have that incentive to work hard and produce because you know you can’t lose your wage for slow production. If anything, minimum wage is a crutch and in my eyes, a government handout.

edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

What a rude statement.

It's the truth.

The problem is the opportunity isnt there anymore thanks to offshoring of jobs.
This is a very terrible situation we are in and there are no easy answers... Its not a simple "black and white" situation.
But WE are subsidizing these workers while their employers are pocketing the profit from our subsidy. If someone can qualify for food assistance after working full time for a company for 2+ years and yet that very company is paying millions to its CEO and is making record profit- WE are essentially paying their profit from forced taxation.

The argument you make would hold weight in the 1990s, in todays economy this is what is out there...There is no "moving up" for most people... here are the demographics for WHO is working these jobs www.raisetheminimumwage.com... - It isnt "kids" and there isnt much opportunity.

I do not claim to know the answers but if full time workers are working for a Corporation making record profit and yet STILL qualify for tax payer help- Shouldn't that company be required to quit stealing MY MONEY for THEIR Profit? Or should we allow those workers to go homeless and hungy even though they work for a company making RECORD PROFIT?

This is honestly a 'national Security" issue .
What we need are the Jobs to return, absent of that- Something needs to happen and it needs to be less profit at the TOP and more at the Bottom. If a company doent like it- Close, have the CEO work a Mcjob... If they offshore- Stop letting them do business here absent of HUGE tariffs.

OR we keep subsidizing working people with tax money while CEOs make more money than ever

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What a rude statement.

It's the truth.

I never said they were there to support entire families now did I? I said their comment was rude and that not all people who take minimum wage jobs are uneducated. I think it's ridiculous to want $15 bucks to work at McDonald's. I worked in retail management and only made $10/hr.

Again I never said they were "forever" jobs. Honestly the majority of those I've encountered in fast food are lazy and rude and can't get an order right to save their life. I do not think they should make $15/hr period! I do agree minimum wage should go up but not to this high of an amount.

Personally I think most of these people live way beyond their means and need to learn to budget instead of getting higher pay. I have worked for minimum wage in the past and I did just fine. I BUDGETED and didn't live beyond my means. Too many people dont want to give up things like Starbucks daily or getting their hair or nails done, or having that fancy cell phone that costs half a pay check. I am not saying this all people but there are so many who do this and I have seen it with so many people I know.

I grew up poor basically but I never lacked anything. My mom was a single parent with three kids. She got some assistance but not a lot and there were many times where bread and peanut butter were the only things in our house to eat! I never had fancy new clothes or shiny toys or the latest fad item. If we had new items it was due to family buying it for us. I did have roof over my head. I was fed and if I was sick I was taken care of. I also learned how to live on a fixed income at a young age, probably from watching my mom. She at times worked two jobs and put herself through school while raising three kids on her own. IMO many people are lazy today and want handouts. Again I am not saying all but many.

I live on a budget even now. I don't get things that are not needed and I shop only sale and discount items. I lack for nothing and I'm quite happy. People need to learn to be happy with what they have.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join