It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Originally posted by Cuervo

That's fine if your moral compass allows you to kill people for money but not everybody is emotionally equipped in that fashion. Sure... maybe you felt some sense of duty but you already admitted that your primary motive was financial.

Don't you find it screwed up that American society is engineered in a way to PURPOSELY make poor people believe there are no other options for education other than violence? I'd rather see somebody stripping for tuition or even pit fighting. Victims should never be part of the American education equation.

Actually the US Government offers the Job Corps free of charge to low income people. My cousin used it to get training in electrical work. He now runs his own business and makes $35 an hour and $87.50 on weekends.

Job Corps

Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job. For eligible young people at least 16 years of age that qualify as low income, Job Corps provides the all-around skills needed to succeed in a career and in life.

Fields of Study

There is no need for violence just a quick search to find your alternatives and the willingness to work for something.

Between 16 and 24. So, if you are going to finish school, that narrows it down to 18 - 24. If you have any debt, you can't really pay it while in Job Corps so that rules out the people in the worst shape.

Job Corps is great but it caters to a specific demographic. I'm glad you brought it up because it's actually what should be offered to everybody, from any background, at any age. It's a great program.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
reply to post by camaro68ss

At what amount of money made per hour should an employee expect a higher wage. If you are making $7.25 an hour for example, how much money should your employer's business be making per hour before they agree to raise your wage for the work you are doing?

Its the employers business, its up to him or her and it depends on the profit you make vs your wage. they dont even have to raise there wage if they dont want to. But if i had a guy making $7.25 an hour and was making me over $200,000 a year in profit, i would start paying them $65,000 a year to keep them working for me. Why, because there making me money.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

No offense M, but your friends were in a pretty much straight line job. No one thought that the space program would come to the point it is now. No one thought that GM would need a bail out either and on and on.

That said, I'm pretty sure that anyone associated as a careerist in NASA could find a job or start a business pretty easily. Those folk aren't stupid, though I do know some that lack common sense.
The Sheldon types.

I'm sure their are other factors involved with your buds, kids in school, family, etc. But they are a diverse bunch and I'm sure that all they would have to do is sit down and brainstorm and come up with something.

But if they thought their job would never go away and didn't plan for that eventuality, then that is their own fault.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A Lawyer salary is not determined by law right? A doctor’s salary is not determined by law? Why is that? Should we have minimum wages for lawyers and doctors?

Let me tell you why there salaries are not determined by law. Because there is a demand for their services with minimum supply of people qualified in the field to practice those trades. Because there is a low supply of qualified people in those trades, they can demand higher wages.

If everyone in the world was a doctor then there would be no reason to pay doctors $150,000 a year right because everyone knows how to fix each other. The same goes with fast food joints. Anyone and everyone can perform at a fast food joint making the supply of qualified people high (everyone qualifies) and wages low.

edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
$15 is too much. Wage hike to $8hr capped at $10-$11.50 DOE. The average cost of a meal around 8 bucks x 8 meals pays for the employee's wage 15k per year. These are starter jobs.and kids still live at home. in a place like McDonald's, an average employee can take up to 100 orders a day (estimate) which still leaves a sizable profit margin.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by beezzer
I'd say "who cares" since my family and I don't eat out that often. . .

but

Imagine grocery store workers demanding the increase as well.
Then gas station attendents.

Pretty soon it'll be 10.00 for a gallon of milk, 5.00$ for a loaf of bread, and 10.00$ just to drive there!

The sad part is, those that'd be making 15.00/hr would be back at square one because all the other costs of living would rise accordingly as well.

What?

I thought prices would go down if we raised wages.........

Can't even beleive this argument is even being had. They cry about GMO food in one thread, They cry about Mcdonalds crappy food in another, and in this thread it's :

Pay them McDonald's workers more to serve crappy GMO food.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wouldn't the incentive be in the good will generated between employee and employer? Image is more important now then ever these days, how hard would it have been for McDonald's to make a simple gesture of good will not only to its employees but to one of its most profitable countries. By putting more American's to work and even paying them a little more money could not McDonald's and highly profitable companies like it have made more of a profound impact on our current economic climate by shouldering a little more of the burden instead of simply shrugging it off to the taxpayer?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Good catch Neo.

Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Between 16 and 24. So, if you are going to finish school, that narrows it down to 18 - 24. If you have any debt, you can't really pay it while in Job Corps so that rules out the people in the worst shape.

Job Corps is great but it caters to a specific demographic. I'm glad you brought it up because it's actually what should be offered to everybody, from any background, at any age. It's a great program.

Actually they will help you get your High School diploma while in the Job Corps. So, you could go in at 16 and be out at 20 working as a Nursing Assistant, Dental Assistant, Mechanic, or any other number of careers.

It does serve a very specific demographic. It is the demographic that people keep saying has no hope if the members didn't grow up with money.

Many people outside of that demographic can qualify for grants from the federal government if they worked in certain industries that are now gone. Others can get needs based grants. There are a lot of options and if you can access a computer with a high speed connection, few excuses.

I know that not everybody can take advantage of the opportunities, but that is unfortunately the way of the world. There will always be some that have more and some that will have less. That is just how it works out. There are limited resources and they have to be divided up. Not everybody is going to get an equal part of the pie. Sometimes it is because of greed and sometimes it is because of circumstances. However, it will always be that way.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college ....

1 - Just because someone 'grew up poor' doesn't mean that they deserve a free handout for flipping burgers.

2 - They couldn't afford college? Neither could I. So I joined the military and got to go to college FOR FREE. That's right. The military gave me a job ... gave me job skills ... gave me clothes and food and a roof over my head .. and a FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION.

It's all right there for the taking.
For a young adult to say that they can't do anything better than flipping burgers .. that's just lazy.

That's fine if your moral compass allows you to kill people for money but not everybody is emotionally equipped in that fashion. Sure... maybe you felt some sense of duty but you already admitted that your primary motive was financial.

Don't you find it screwed up that American society is engineered in a way to PURPOSELY make poor people believe there are no other options for education other than violence? I'd rather see somebody stripping for tuition or even pit fighting. Victims should never be part of the American education equation.

So every position in the military requires you to kill people (for money)? So you're equating serving your country and in turn learning skills and getting a college education as violence? I bet you are for handouts at taxpayers expense and have an Obama-phone.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I feel like if they were asking for somewhere around the 10$/hr mark people would be more apted to jump on their side. 15$/hr to make all premade drop on or in a fryer food is too much. Most culinary graduates and some head chefs don't even make that much. I work at a fine dining restaurant and i don't make 15$ an hr, but i make ends meet by working my ass off pulling doubles and working over time. I also don't live beyond my means. I am also at this job per my choosing because the job i was at making 20/hr was making me miserable . I enjoy cooking and i want to eventually open a restaurant so i'm paying my dues. If you apply at Mc D's because your love of cooking is bringing you in there , then you will quickly realize that you aren't going to further your culinary career by standing over a fry basket and you will move on. So i'm sorry if i offend anyone who works at Mcdonald's by saying they aren't worth more than the 14/hr i make as a skilled cook

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

So then why shouldn't the employees who are striking against companies like McDonalds, Taco Bell etc, because they are making $7.25 an hour despite their various companies making X amount of profits be entitled to a little more money?

15 dollars an hour might be high but everyone bids high initially and it shouldn't be a mandatory minimum wage hike because it would affect all employers and not these specific employers, but the case can still be made that these employees for these companies are getting low balled in pay while making their employers higher levels of profit.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

So then why shouldn't the employees who are striking against companies like McDonalds, Taco Bell etc, because they are making $7.25 an hour despite their various companies making X amount of profits not be entitled to a little more money? 15 dollars an hour might be high but everyone bids high initially....it shouldn't be a mandatory minimum wage hike because it would affect all employers and not these specific employers, but the case can still be made that these employees for these companies are getting low balled in pay while making their employers higher levels of profit.

Besides everything already listed?

The job has high turn over rates. So, you pay a lower wage because you don't know how well the person will produce, if they produce, or if they will be there on Tuesday. You have less initial investment and take less loss on bad employees. Each employee is less of a financial gamble.

The shift managers usually make 75% more than the rest of the crew. They are (in theory) proven producers, they have a history in the business, and you know they show up and get results. You can actually make good money in fast food if you show up, work hard, and take the steps to advance. One of my brother's ex-girlfriends made $15.25 as a shift manager at McDonald's. The general manager made $63,000.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

So then why shouldn't the employees who are striking against companies like McDonalds, Taco Bell etc, because they are making $7.25 an hour despite their various companies making X amount of profits be entitled to a little more money?

15 dollars an hour might be high but everyone bids high initially and it shouldn't be a mandatory minimum wage hike because it would affect all employers and not these specific employers, but the case can still be made that these employees for these companies are getting low balled in pay while making their employers higher levels of profit.

Who cares how much the owners make. If the employee doesn't like it, they can work somewhere else where there is employee sharing. It's the owners capital that's on the line, they make the Financial risks, they should get the reward
edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

Excellent points all around. I can specifically think of Wal-Mart which actually uses the needy at near slave wages and hours at times. They will work you to death for a time then cut your hours back to meet requirements to keep you at part-time. The insurance package is terrible and costly and they actually encourage you to go onto assistance.

The problem is lack of jobs. There is a job boom in N. Dakota where private land owners are drilling oil. People with literally NO skills are being trained and earning high five and six figure income. There is a massive housing shortage and we have oil all over America that we can drill safely but the environmental wackos hate oil. So, no jobs created via this industry. We could literally overnight transform America if we would stop bowing to the alter of the EPA.

No, I am not advocating destroying the environment, but please tell me how keeping us from drilling our OWN oil offshore is smart and yet foreign countries are out there right now doing it! When the money is gone and we can no longer afford to use the professionals or when their jobs become unnecessary because you can be flown to Singapore for a surgery at a 10th of the price, THEN we will hear how unfair it all is from the learned professionals.

To make a decent living today, you had better be highly skilled in a job no one wants, work for the government, or have one hell of a trust fund that you can ride at 15% tax rate like the pigs who tell us we need to live with less. I love the Al Gores, Soros, Buffet all playing the carbon foot print, unfair wages, Occupy Wall Street all while gaming the system, flying jets around the world, creating carbon credit companies to suck up the money once the UN makes it a worldwide tax mainly for the West to pay for carbon footprints.

NAFTA and GATT were supposed to bring in fair and free trade. Ask the dairy farmers in America how that is working out as they have their trucks shot up in Mexico or the farmers have their grain destroyed by the Chinese etc.. The great sucking sound was prophesied by the lil guy with a bad haircut and the jobs are gone. Millions of well paying jobs are just gone, and people are fighting to work for slave wages now.

College grads are lucky to get a job making 20k a year with a $600.00 / mo student loan payment! Those friggin deadbeats living at home too lazy to work... yeh right. We are losing a whole generation to despair over this. We see the fat cats getting richer and richer gaming the system, getting government subsidies for their farms which are not real farms.. you know the Solyndra types. Fast food used to be for lunch and dinner now it's 24/7. Saying it's a job meant for high school students would mean 4pm to 8pm not 24/7.

I do say, pay adults working 10.50/hr and high school kids 7.50/hr. Your food cost will go up, and you will then see people who have worked 5 years who are at 12/hr demand 16/hr or more. You cannot fix this by just raising the hourly rate. We need jobs and that is as simple as it gets.
edit on 29-8-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Originally posted by filledcup

great.. but guess what.. give a man a fish and he'll be dependent on u every time he is hungry.

give a man a damn decent job and he could provide his own fish.

u guys just love having ppl dependent on u and who u can look down on.

how's that for a constructive critique of ur position?

If it makes you feel better, but it is a garbage critique. Donating money to schools for education actually helps people become less dependent. Donating money to projects that find temporary housing to help the homeless get on their feet makes people less dependent. Donating to charities that help wounded soldiers cover their cost of living after they are discharged so they don't end up homeless makes people less dependent.

The things I donate to actually help people get the resources needed to become less dependent. I don't give handouts.

Again, instead of any constructive argument against the hard facts of personal experience and research all that is offered is a personal attack.

calling a critique "Garbage" is not a method of justifying the very same point u made. u guys are so twisted i dont know how u even walk in a straight line. is that what u consider constructive criticism? just calling an idea or opinion garbage? with absolutely nothing to back it up.

im not saying that you dont help out alot of ppl. alot of us do in alot of different ways.

BUT WHAT EXACTLY do those things have to do with minimum wage workers? u work with the poor and homeless.. great as i said earlier. that is good and wonderful of you. but then after you help them from being homeless into moving up in their life.. u look down on them as skilless lazy ppl who dont deserve happiness in a minimum wage job?

please.. elaborate how genuine u are towards helping these ppl when u help them and shun them at the same time?

ill tell u what tho.. if they got a good salary in a burger joint, they wont have to give a rats anal sphincter what you think of them. and it seems thats what matters more to you.. that they care about your opinion of them? the lower, inferior, poor, skilless, workers who dont deserve happiness.

so actually i retract earlier statement.. what you have done is in no way great. because the attitude u carry within is in negation to the false appearance u carry externally.
edit on 29-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Wouldn't the incentive be in the good will generated between employee and employer?

Good will doesn't pay the bills. (from the employee view)
Good will is tossing profit away that doesn't need to be (from the employer view).

An honest days pay for an honest days work.
People get paid what the job is worth. No more. No less.
That's what is fair.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Wouldn't the incentive be in the good will generated between employee and employer?

Good will is tossing profit away that doesn't need to be (from the employer view).

they try to sell this twisted garbage. ohh "tighten your belt" "live within your means" BS. and they dont follow their own advice. HYPOCRITS!
edit on 29-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Saw this and its ridiculous. Fast food jobs are not meant to be careers nor are they supposed to provide livable wages. That's why they are generally filled by teenagers or college students. The food is cheap and takes next to no skill to produce.

These clowns need to go to school and educate themselves, if they want better pay.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

An honest days pay for an honest days work.
People get paid what the job is worth. No more. No less.
That's what is fair.

Yes, and when we get all these illegal aliens legalized they will work for nothing and then what will people do? Yes, let's bring in another 30 million people who can't get a job in their country who will be our slaves.... slavery did not benefit the average white person in the South, just the rich land owners. Nothing has changed. Now we think we are free. We get to buy our own food, houses, supplies from the rich land owners and say we are free while we work 15 hour days and have nothing left at the end of the month.

You know, when I worked for the Police, I was always amused that when we got a meager raise, our health care costs went up that exact amount.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join