It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have been challenged to my opine regarding pay for "skilled vs unskilled".. this was my reply.

Originally posted by HanzHenry
reply to post by Phage

cant find the exact post from last night.. but I am precisely stating that unskilled and skilled should be paid the same.

everyone needs a vehicle, food, tools, etc to get their job done. And kids, house, etc.

Morale, Camaraderie, and Social Cohesion are better in the military (usmc for me, oohrah) than typical civilian life.
the reason for this is below.

All trades/MOS are paid the SAME, live in the SAME level quarters (or bah/baq), eat the SAME food (chow hall/seprats), etc.

inside of each MOS, the rank/promotion is independent. Some fields due to supply/demand promote at lower point levels.. this works like the tides of an ocean always balancing out for the most part.

doesn't matter of you are a little PFC in: air traffic control, supply (warehouse), S-1 (admin), weather (meteorology), avionics, infantry, helo mech, etc..

This is how it should be..

I can see that many don't have the ..... to take me on over this from a few pages ago..Go ahead.. lets have it..

some dweeb who goes to some 3yr tech school to learn how to be some cpu geek --- IN NO WAY is doing something groundbreaking... I would rather see the guy flipping burgers PAID MORE THAN ANY COMPUTER GEEK!

a/c controlled environment, hands rarely get dirty, a CHAIR..to SIT in!... break a SWEAT....

PULLEASE!! this whole unskilled vs skilled thing? pfft,!! a lot of these current "skilled" positions? get real..

A min. wage guy at ACE hardware (3yrs experience) is more SKILLED!

edit on 1-9-2013 by HanzHenry because: quote

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Is there any updates on the strike?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Don't know. But I think folks are crazy about chicken Mc Nuggets!

(Strong Language)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Dam! its like the beginning of a zombie movie were the infected start going crazy and attacking people. There must be some strong "stuff" in those chicken MCnuggets to make people go bananas over them. I mean I know they put some additives, and its not really meat, but there may be more to the special ingredients in MCnuggets then people know.
It took 2 of them to overpower her and close the window, before she threw something through it. Dangerous job right there. Come the zombie apocalypse the local McDonald just may be ground zero and the most dangerous area in town to be at.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by sonnny1

Dam! its like the beginning of a zombie movie were the infected start going crazy and attacking people. There must be some strong "stuff" in those chicken MCnuggets to make people go bananas over them. I mean I know they put some additives, and its not really meat, but there may be more to the special ingredients in MCnuggets then people know.
It took 2 of them to overpower her and close the window, before she threw something through it. Dangerous job right there. Come the zombie apocalypse the local McDonald just may be ground zero and the most dangerous area in town to be at.

I dream daily for TWD... only hope for freedom. and imho McD's will be a good place to get food. That stuff never spoils without power..lol

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

After seeing that video, they deserve a raise just for having to deal with people 10% as bad as that crazy person was acting.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
How stupid can we be in America that we don't value the cause of our fellow man.

How stupid are we that we choose to increase corporate profits rather then strengthen the middle class.

I am disgusted by some of you. What kind of hateful corporate scum are you to even think your better then anyone and what you do deserves more?

Disgusted. Many of you make me sick.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
How stupid can we be in America that we don't value the cause of our fellow man.

How stupid are we that we choose to increase corporate profits rather then strengthen the middle class.

I am disgusted by some of you. What kind of hateful corporate scum are you to even think your better then anyone and what you do deserves more?

Disgusted. Many of you make me sick.

I agree totally, I am kinda sick of hearing the " I worked hard ( like nobody else has) for what I have, I deserve ( but nobody else has done anything to also "deserve anything") what I have" line.

What they really man to say is " I am better than every one else, I deserve it all, and they deserve to live like slaves, because they are not as good as me".

Makes me sick to my stomach.

All while claiming the system works, "see, I made....so can everyone else, they are just too lazy".

Totally ignoring the simple to see facts. Like for example, there isn't enough good jobs for al the qualified personnel to have one, those that do the least, make thousands of times more than those who do the most, and literally 75% of the working populous is working hard.

If we were not all working hard, productivity would not be at its highest level in history. Now we are at the highest level of productivity ever, with close to the lowest average wage ever, and they don't see a problem with this somehow........Maybe it is because they don't want to see.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

I think its the "get something" out of it... ALL know the system is f-d.

But getting a piece of the pie vs. not? see, as long as they feel they are getting ahead, or 'doing better than most', the comfort allows them to prefer the system stay the same.

Its like waiting in line for 3 hours, getting to the front and then realizing others found a back entrance with no line. Anger and jealousy. those that waited psychologically feel they DESERVE something more..

Or how one guy(rich guy) pays full price, the next guy(middle class) gets a discount and the last guy(welfare) gets it for free..
Doesn't matter that the rich and middle guy gets something better. the fact that they 'worked' and the welfare guy didn't.. Oh man THEY should get it ALL..

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I've been reading this forum for years and joined so I could comment on this.

I'm 23, have a B.A from a top tier school and will have an M.A. from one of the top schools in the country by May. I also live in D.C. near the proposed wal-mart sites that caused this stir. Though I've worked in fast food/retail in high school with minimum wage, I was not supporting myself as I was living with my mom. At the time, I thought I was making too little as do most people making $7 an hour. However, last year after finishing my B.A., I received a job offer in my field doing everything I need to know in order to advance and that would help me enter a PhD program. I accepted knowing that I would receive amazing training but would need to live on a budget.

I have now been at my job for a year this week and have made less that $20,000. I work 50+ hours a week while also managing grad school. On top of this, I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country. Also, I had no money saved when I moved here. To put living cost in perspective in D.C., I live in a small 1BR and pay $1100- more than half my monthly wages. But, in the last year, I have managed to save $5,000, never starved, and had enough money for essentials as well some "fun money". I'm not complaining- I am pointing out that though living on a low salary sucks and can be hard, but it's possible.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PeaceXXLove

FFS.... YOU EVEN ADMIT you did NOT live on your OWN while making 7/hr..

And... SO WHAT anyway! If it is a pay that people with families are doing, It is NOT enough money!

and there are people who ARE working full time jobs that pay 7/hr.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceXXLove

I'm 23, have a B.A from a top tier school and will have an M.A. from one of the top schools in the country by May. I also live in D.C. near the proposed wal-mart sites that caused this stir. Though I've worked in fast food/retail in high school with minimum wage, I was not supporting myself as I was living with my mom. At the time, I thought I was making too little as do most people making $7 an hour. However, last year after finishing my B.A., I received a job offer in my field doing everything I need to know in order to advance and that would help me enter a PhD program. I accepted knowing that I would receive amazing training but would need to live on a budget.

I have now been at my job for a year this week and have made less that $20,000. I work 50+ hours a week while also managing grad school. On top of this, I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country. Also, I had no money saved when I moved here. To put living cost in perspective in D.C., I live in a small 1BR and pay $1100- more than half my monthly wages. But, in the last year, I have managed to save $5,000, never starved, and had enough money for essentials as well some "fun money". I'm not complaining- I am pointing out that though living on a low salary sucks and can be hard, but it's possible.

us.thesalarycalculator.co.uk...

in this chart, it says with a gross of 20k a year, your take home pay would be 1,451.35 a month, after the 1,100 a month in rent, you would have left 351 dollars a month for the rest of your bills. this includes food, transportation, any utilities, cell phone, clothes, etc...AND fun money!!...I call B.S.....something is way off on this...and let's not forget, you said you make less than 20,000

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Plus.. any idiot can get a masters.

doesn't take a high IQ.. it is actually geared to hit the beginning peak of the bell curve.. roughly geared for a 100 level IQ.

not something to brag about at all. Why do people act like going to college is this thing to be revered.. GET REAL

it is the EASY WAY OUT... hands don't get dirty.. and ther PRIMARY reason MOST people go is:

1. to not be the 'bottom guy'
2. to make more money
3. to 'be in charge'..

these things.. plus the fact I WENT to 5 colleges.. The majority of those that go,, do it SPECIFICALLY to avoid low paying manual labor jobs.. the honest and respectable ones.

why do people seem to revere a business owner more than a ditch digger,. The business owner is the one PROFITTING off another mans sweat.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Plus.. any idiot can get a masters.

doesn't take a high IQ.. it is actually geared to hit the beginning peak of the bell curve.. roughly geared for a 100 level IQ.

not something to brag about at all. Why do people act like going to college is this thing to be revered.. GET REAL

it is the EASY WAY OUT... hands don't get dirty.. and ther PRIMARY reason MOST people go is:

1. to not be the 'bottom guy'
2. to make more money
3. to 'be in charge'..

these things.. plus the fact I WENT to 5 colleges.. The majority of those that go,, do it SPECIFICALLY to avoid low paying manual labor jobs.. the honest and respectable ones.

why do people seem to revere a business owner more than a ditch digger,. The business owner is the one PROFITTING off another mans sweat.

BBBbut, the business owner is the only person risking anything, he should get all the rewards. I mean he is the one not digging the ditch that is making him the money in the first place......

What kind of messed up logic makes people be able to say somthing like this and sleep at night....sorry I have to go puke now.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
this is all Mcdonalds is good for imo

edit on 3-9-2013 by Haze617 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by PeaceXXLove

us.thesalarycalculator.co.uk...

in this chart, it says with a gross of 20k a year, your take home pay would be 1,451.35 a month, after the 1,100 a month in rent, you would have left 351 dollars a month for the rest of your bills. this includes food, transportation, any utilities, cell phone, clothes, etc...AND fun money!!...I call B.S.....something is way off on this...and let's not forget, you said you make less than 20,000

I didn't say my gross salary is 20k, I said that's what I take home. I'll break it down for you:

I take home 'round about $1900 a month. $1900- 1100 rent is $800.Yes, I am more than capable of paying all of bills and saving money with this. Keep in mind you added multiple items in your list that I do not pay for. Example, my utilities are included in the rent, I pay $5 a month for a basic cell phone with no internet, "apps", or anything else. I don't drive around when its not necessary to do so, don't buy new clothes when I don't need them...

Budgeting- It's not that hard.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So by raising their wages people have to pay more for their ego mooby muffin?

Oh no the humanity! God forbid those fatties have to pay an extra 20 cents to kill themselfes.

Some people cant afford an education, and cant get loans to do so. I think they should be payed more

Screw mcdonalds and all those BILLIION DOLLAR franchises. They can afford it, so can the consumer, one rule dont mess with the people that prepair your food.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Fun money? Fun MONEY!!!! This is about having a job to pay your bills and support your family. You work at a crummy job until you have a better one. Problem is that people buy Madden 25 before paying the water bill and blame employers and low wages.

Spoiled wanna be Kardashians spending two paychecks before they get one...

edit on 3-9-2013 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I have been challenged to my opine regarding pay for "skilled vs unskilled".. this was my reply.

reply to post by Phage

cant find the exact post from last night.. but I am precisely stating that unskilled and skilled should be paid the same.

everyone needs a vehicle, food, tools, etc to get their job done. And kids, house, etc.

Morale, Camaraderie, and Social Cohesion are better in the military (usmc for me, oohrah) than typical civilian life.
the reason for this is below.

All trades/MOS are paid the SAME, live in the SAME level quarters (or bah/baq), eat the SAME food (chow hall/seprats), etc.

inside of each MOS, the rank/promotion is independent. Some fields due to supply/demand promote at lower point levels.. this works like the tides of an ocean always balancing out for the most part.

doesn't matter of you are a little PFC in: air traffic control, supply (warehouse), S-1 (admin), weather (meteorology), avionics, infantry, helo mech, etc..

This is how it should be..

I can see that many don't have the ..... to take me on over this from a few pages ago..Go ahead.. lets have it..

some dweeb who goes to some 3yr tech school to learn how to be some cpu geek --- IN NO WAY is doing something groundbreaking... I would rather see the guy flipping burgers PAID MORE THAN ANY COMPUTER GEEK!

a/c controlled environment, hands rarely get dirty, a CHAIR..to SIT in!... break a SWEAT....

PULLEASE!! this whole unskilled vs skilled thing? pfft,!! a lot of these current "skilled" positions? get real..

A min. wage guy at ACE hardware (3yrs experience) is more SKILLED!

edit on 1-9-2013 by HanzHenry because: quote

Wow, you get mad respect from me on that. If we were all payed the same, maybe we would have a bit more compassion for those who dont have anything? I think we would get back to treating eachother right, and this country would wake up and become what it was ment to
Good for you for sticking to your beliefs, though it might not be the popular belief, none the less kudos sir my hats off to you.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

the business owner is the only person risking anything
REALLY ???
no wonder the business owners are taking such a hit

i hope your bubble bursts and soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join