It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

No, because they work for it

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by doobydoll
Not everyone on the planet wants a career job, it shouldn't mean they don't deserve a wage they can live on.

So we have people who 'don't want a career job' ... but we should hand them a career salary anyways? Even when they aren't willing to work for it ?? Yeah, right. If they don't want a career job .. and they don't want to go to school to get an education or learn a trade .. then they really don't want that living wage .. what they really want is free money that they dont' have to earn.

No, they're not asking for 'a career salary', they're asking for a living wage. There's a difference.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14

Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college so where is their oppurtunity to be had, no better jobs coming their way. so they take what they can get, no matter the ridicule, or how hard it is to make a living they keep on working because they have no choice but to.

You can work as an electricians helper and start at a higher wage. After a couple of years many companies will send you to class so that you can get an electrical license. Then you're looking at $17 or more an hour. Sanitation engineers make $11 an hour with a high school diploma. Telemarketers can make $13 an hour.

My friend manages a gas station and makes $38,000 a year. My brother (no HS diploma) worked his way from changing oil to running the TLE at Wal Mart and making $40,000 a year.

I grew up piss poor. I have lived in a house with no heat during one of the coldest winters ever. I was just days from being homeless. I fought my way up and ended up working in the music industry in Nashville. I went from having everything against me to accomplishing my every dream. I am a published author, I recorded and mixed albums in Nashville, and I have worked with artists that were #1 in the country. I also managed to get a degree in sound engineering and recording while I was at it.

So, save the bull and the tears for somebody else.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Not everyone on the planet wants a career job, it shouldn't mean they don't deserve a wage they can live on.

I guess thats the Difference between the UK and USA. Here you don’t deserve anything. You must work for it, no handouts. The country was founded on the pursuit of happiness. Not the handout of happiness.

Why do you deserve anything? just because your born?

Tell me, how is working for what little you get in wages, a 'hand-out'?

I'm curious, that's all.

Deserving a wage to live on is what i quoted you saying. no one deserves anything. they must earn it. By doing so, you need to leave the drive through window and educate yourself in a trade. Increasing minimum wages will only increase inflation making the whole point mute.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Oh dear.

I wonder how much business these strikes are costing McD's.

The sooner McD's increases wages the sooner their staff can all get back to work and earning their living, for a change.

So what if it's not a career job? Quote me the law where it states minimum pay jobs are only meant to be pocket-money jobs and it's illegal for workers to stay in them for long. Where is the law stating it's illegal to work with no ambition in life?

You all want people to do something about earning more? Well now they're doing something - and not for just themselves as individuals either, but for all minimum wage earners.

And good luck to them I say. I hope others follow suit and show their tight-arse bosses that without minimum-pay workers, their businesses will grind to an abrupt halt and then they too might join the ranks of the poor

u got the right idea.. not everyone cares for a new bugati. some ppl just want to be comfortable and take care of their families. much more noble than the chasing of material wealth and power.

link   

No, they're not asking for 'a career salary', they're asking for a living wage. There's a difference.

And they aren't willing to work for that living wage ...
Flipping burgers isn't a job that requires skills or an education.
Therefore, it doesn't deserve a higher salary than minimum wage.

Basic economics ... the more education and/or skills needed to do the job, then the more money you are worth to fill that job. There is no education and no skills required to flip burgers. Nearly any adult can do it. Therefore, the pay will be low.

The more education or skills required for the job .. the more you will be paid if you have the education or skills required.

It's very simple ... not hard to understand.

link   

So we have people who 'don't want a career job' ... but we should hand them a career salary anyways? Even when they aren't willing to work for it ?? Yeah, right. If they don't want a career job .. and they don't want to go to school to get an education or learn a trade .. then they really don't want that living wage .. what they really want is free money that they dont' have to earn.

if they want a living wage, work somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I guess thats the Difference between the UK and USA. Here you don’t deserve anything. You must work for it, no handouts. The country was founded on the pursuit of happiness. Not the handout of happiness.

Why do you deserve anything? just because your born?

Tell me, how is working for what little you get in wages, a 'hand-out'?

I'm curious, that's all.

Deserving a wage to live on is what i quoted you saying. no one deserves anything. they must earn it. By doing so, you need to leave the drive through window and educate yourself in a trade. Increasing minimum wages will only increase inflation making the whole point mute.

noone deserves anything? u dont deserve the air you breathe.

say thank God for that he gave it to you for free.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

good idea.. i support this idea.. because everyone wants a living wage.. so guess what.. mcd's will go out of business.

it's time we neglect employers the way they neglect employees. demand more!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup

Oh dear.

I wonder how much business these strikes are costing McD's.

The sooner McD's increases wages the sooner their staff can all get back to work and earning their living, for a change.

So what if it's not a career job? Quote me the law where it states minimum pay jobs are only meant to be pocket-money jobs and it's illegal for workers to stay in them for long. Where is the law stating it's illegal to work with no ambition in life?

You all want people to do something about earning more? Well now they're doing something - and not for just themselves as individuals either, but for all minimum wage earners.

And good luck to them I say. I hope others follow suit and show their tight-arse bosses that without minimum-pay workers, their businesses will grind to an abrupt halt and then they too might join the ranks of the poor

u got the right idea.. not everyone cares for a new bugati. some ppl just want to be comfortable and take care of their families. much more noble than the chasing of material wealth and power.

if thats the case, work somewhere else to get a better wage to take care of your familys. why is its McDonalds responsibility or the franchisees responsibility to take care of YOUR family with a larger wage?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Who the hell said free handout? I said they work for and earn it. why didn't you get that? These people work you know, yes they actually work in fast food.

Why should people put their lives on the line in the Military. you do realize that what you are asked to do in the Military goes against many people's religions and personal beliefs? Don't get me wrong I respect the military and all it has to offer but by no means do I think it fit for everyone.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

some ppl just want to be comfortable and take care of their families.

If they 'just want to be comfortable and take care of their families' then they need to get an education and learn a trade so they will be worth more and will be paid more. It's very simple. Flipping burgers is mindless and not worth paying enough for a family to live on.

Ya' wanna' pay $15 for a McDonalds hamburger? You will be ... if you want all those unskilled laborers, who refuse to go get an education, to be paid a 'living wage'. (and no one is going to pay that for a McDonalds burger) Get it yet??

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by doobydoll

People who run a successful business will rarely end up being poor because their employees were idiots who basically fired themselves. They'll just get out while ahead and start another business. It's been this way throughout history.

They have nothing to lose then will they? They can simply just move on.
But in reality. strikes cost business plenty money and hurts them where it hurts most - in their pockets. Always has done, always will do. Heh.

And for every protester, there are plenty of others who will gladly take that job.

Like there was today, you mean?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

good idea.. i support this idea.. because everyone wants a living wage.. so guess what.. mcd's will go out of business.

it's time we neglect employers the way they neglect employees. demand more!

If people leave McDonalds in droves then by economic forces, McDonalds would be forced to increase their wages to entice people to come back and work for them. That’s not going to happen because there will always be a supply of non-skilled workers looking for jobs.

edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
It's not doubling, it's from $7,25 to $9.
And they are right to fight for it, minimum wage should not be below the poverty line.

The fast food workers are asking for $15/hour, so it's more than doubling.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by doobydoll

People who run a successful business will rarely end up being poor because their employees were idiots who basically fired themselves. They'll just get out while ahead and start another business. It's been this way throughout history.

They have nothing to lose then will they? They can simply just move on.
But in reality. strikes cost business plenty money and hurts them where it hurts most - in their pockets. Always has done, always will do. Heh.

And for every protester, there are plenty of others who will gladly take that job.

Like there was today, you mean?

Im sure there will be people fired today for the stricks. If i owned a fast food joint, i would fire them all and rehire. Im sure i would fill all spots in less then 24 hours.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Who the hell said free handout?

You are. You want to pay them MUCH more than they are worth. That's a free handout.

I said they work for and earn it.

The positions are mindless and skill-less. They aren't there to provide anyone with a 'living wage'.
It's basic economics. THE JOB ISN'T WORTH MORE MONEY.

why didn't you get that?

Why can't you follow basic economics?

These people work you know, yes they actually work in fast food.

I spent a summer working in a fast food place. I know the work that goes on there. And it's mindless and skill-less. Nearly ANYONE can do it. If anyone can do it, the wages are low. The more skills required or the more education required, then the more money the job is worth.

Why should people put their lives on the line in the Military.

- I was pointing out that there are ways to get an education even if you are poor. I did it through the military.

- If people REALLY want to earn a living, get an education, better themselves, ... then the military is sitting right there. You have an income. You have food paid for and provided. Your clothing is paid for and provided. You have a job and learn a job skill. AND FREE COLLEGE. It's one way that if people REALLY want .. they can get out of their 'poor' situations.

link   

some ppl just want to be comfortable and take care of their families.

If they 'just want to be comfortable and take care of their families' then they need to get an education and learn a trade so they will be worth more and will be paid more. It's very simple. Flipping burgers is mindless and not worth paying enough for a family to live on.

Ya' wanna' pay $15 for a McDonalds hamburger? You will be ... if you want all those unskilled laborers, who refuse to go get an education, to be paid a 'living wage'. (and no one is going to pay that for a McDonalds burger) Get it yet??

Burger-addict Americans would pay anything for a burger as long as it's massive and they don't have to make it themselves.

They'll just complain about it between bites.

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Where do you think all the educated people went to get jobs in the past few years?

This article, hell this whole argument, is purposely designed to stimulate this very response. They show you one of the most questionable 'elements' of the argument, namely a single mom of 3, that gets all the low grade hatred we have for each other boiling up and then they build on it just enough to get everyone sniping at each other over hog spit and hamburgers. The manipulation is brilliant because it works both ways, because it supports the arguments of both those who are in that situation and those who are well outside of it.

Remember all those manufacturing workers, house builders and middle class americans who lost their jobs and their homes and got #ed the most by the recession, where did you think all the who have taken it the hardest in everything that has happened recently went to get a job?

They didn't leave the country, most of them ended up right here.

Fast food, Walmart, and the unemployment line where they are encouraged and eventually forced into a job just like this. Making the lowest kind of pay and taking # for doing what everyone else wants to do. Have a job and take care of themselves and their families, maybe they are still in school or maybe they want to be management, hell maybe they are not even involved but willing to take the pay hike regardless.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My viewpoint: before we talk about paying professional wages to McD's employees, I need to see professional service. It has been a LOOOOONG time since I have seen that.

Today you should dress for the job you want tomorrow, because your next interview has already begun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join