It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars rovers photographs apparent disk-shaped UFOs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jchristopher5

That is a rock.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
looks like some martian pranksters tossing rocks in range of the lens... nothing to see here..
I believe there is a possibility it could be some sort of UFO, but since this is Mars, how would one go about realisticly figure out what it could be.. maybe on mars rocks hover. Or the real EX life is a clever sassy species always toying with us lol

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I did many threads about artifacts on the Martian surface. . I noticed these dust particals many times but never thought this could be UFO'S simply because they were not sharp enough to really make out what it was...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I admit I didn't read all of the posts here because I have to leave, but isn't it possible this is just a man made object orbiting the planet? since there are a few .. the Mars Express, Mars Odyssey, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter .. there are also several derelict satellites still orbiting which are Mars Global Surveyor, Mariner 9, Mars 2, Mars 1, Phobos 2 and the Viking Orbiter .. then two natural satellites Deimos and Phobos

There are one or two of these that orbit fairly close to the planet .. just tossing out a possible rational explanation

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Looks like saturn

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Satellites aren't often seen in daylight and they never appear as a dark object.
But remember that the "UFO" does not appear in the other image of the stereo pair. It is either very (very) close to the camera or it is a hardware/software/data transmission artifact.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This seems like a small mystery that won't be solved.

It's funny to imagine such a saucer-shaped artifact turning up in normal everyday Earth photos. Would everyone assume it was just a dust particle or artifact? lol

I see the white noise in the picture but the black artifacts give the impression of (possibly) being real objects IMO.

The black spots do not look the same as the white noise.

Still it's probably impossible to solve this one.

I like the suggestion that the artifacts are man-made objects that we have circling the planet. Seems more plausible than dust, artifacts, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Do you know why some come out white and some black? I have seen photos with similar objects but only one and no other glitches or partilcles in the picture could "noise" do that also?

That is an excellent question. I almost didn't post the comparison because I wondered the same thing and I don't have a good answer. I haven't gone to the trouble of checking the specs on the equipment but I can probably find out if there is sufficient interest.

I decided to post my original response because I felt that the shape was significant. My best guess is that the white pixels have become saturated due to solar radiation since Mars has a thin atmosphere. The black pixels could be CCD cells that have died due to this exposure. However, the designers would have accounted for the radiation. So, I'm not entirely convinced about this line of reasoning.

Also, this noise should be present on other photos as well, and if the pixel died then it should be permanent. Has anybody checked into other photos taken from the same camera around this time? Another point to consider is that devices can heal themselves after being stressed beyond damaging VIH levels. I'm not sure about optical elements though.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Hello!

You say, "I am a UFO believer". What do you mean by that? Do you believe that some flying objects can be unidentified, or that some unidentified objects could possibly be flying?

I ask only so I can understand the basis and foundation of why you may have identified the object in the photograph the way you did, and to better understand this thread.

By saying, "I am a UFO believer", do you mean you believe that some crafts are being piloted by aliens? Or that some type of craft is being piloted by inter-dimensional beings? Or time travelers? Or simply that you believe some things observed as flying are unidentified? It is very hard, if not impossible, to know what you mean by your statement or why it may be relevant to your observation.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What are the odds that the rover is going to photograph a UFO that looks like a 60s B movie flying saucer? Seriously, that image looks like it could have been doctored using MSPaint. I really want it to be something cool, like a "martian" or something but I don't think it is.

I often wonder of an agency of some sort creates and strategically plants images like these simply to see how we'll take it or what the information flow is.

I don't know... it's late.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sevenkev

Hello!

You say, "I am a UFO believer". What do you mean by that? Do you believe that some flying objects can be unidentified, or that some unidentified objects could possibly be flying?

I ask only so I can understand the basis and foundation of why you may have identified the object in the photograph the way you did, and to better understand this thread.

By saying, "I am a UFO believer", do you mean you believe that some crafts are being piloted by aliens? Or that some type of craft is being piloted by inter-dimensional beings? Or time travelers? Or simply that you believe some things observed as flying are unidentified? It is very hard, if not impossible, to know what you mean by your statement or why it may be relevant to your observation.

Thank you.

Sure, glad to explain. I am confident that UFOs exist, in our atmosphere, which we cannot pin to humanity. The incredible acceleration, often enormous size, and 100s of G's of instant acceleration. So, I believe that real UFOs exit, which cannot be easily, or even at all, attributed to humans. So, UFOs, real UFOs, are fact.

So, what are they then? Like everyone else, I cannot answer that definitively. I have read or watched accounts from apparently well-intending and sane people, that they have encounter aliens. I tend to believe many of these accounts.

Aliens exist say tens of thousands. If true, where are they from? It gets even murkier. Are they ETs or extra-Dimensonals? Or they time travelers?

Quite simply, I don't know for sure. I know UFOs are real. I believe "aliens"(which would encompass all non-human intelligences) exist. What they are, and where they are from I can only speculate.

My best guess, perhaps a cop-out of sorts, is that both ETs and EDs exist and interact with humans. I am striving to learn more.

edit on 27-8-2013 by Jchristopher5 because: Word choice

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It has been a great discussion, pro and con. We know the following, in summary:

1. UFO like images appear on two JPL/NASA rover photos.
2. One of the images is very sharp and crisp.
3. Self-proclaimed photographic experts have indicated that this is not dust, or sand.
4. It seems "noise", in this case in the shape of a classic UFO, is the most likely reason, according to many on here.

In the end, like much of Ufology, we are left to guess as to what's behind the photographic evidence. I can't say that I am convinced one way or another. I will admit that noise is probably a more rational explanation. But, everything is not as it seems.

Bottom line: Mystery unsolved. On to the next one, maybe it will give us some answers.
edit on 27-8-2013 by Jchristopher5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
'Unidentified' is the veritable cancer of ufology.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jchristopher5

Bottom line: Mystery unsolved. On to the next one, maybe it will give us some answers.

That's a rather hypocritical thing to say. You say you want answers but you completely ignore the answers given to you. This was solved on page 2 when Phage pointed out that "the rear Hazcam takes stereo images, two shots simultaneously." and that the spec doesn't appear in the other photo.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMahound
'Unidentified' is the veritable cancer of ufology.

Without the Unidentified it would just be fology , what's the point of that

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

i agree..many,many more people should take a trip to his website...go back through the archives...you will REALLY get to "understand",the guys mind?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist

Originally posted by Jchristopher5

That's a rather hypocritical thing to say. You say you want answers but you completely ignore the answers given to you. This was solved on page 2 when Phage pointed out that "the rear Hazcam takes stereo images, two shots simultaneously." and that the spec doesn't appear in the other photo.

I guess I understood that as a theory, thanks for clarifying.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

sand you say big fella
, they may be filming the next Bondi Rescue on Mars then ?!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The following observations have been made in this thread:

1.) Noise (white pixels) occur throughout the photos
2.) There is a similar shaped grouping of white pixels on the wheel which appears to be noise
3.) The picture is actually from a set of stereo images produced by the rear camera
4.) The black objects of interest do not appear in the other camera from the stereo pair

The following suggestions have been made

1.) It might be noise (by others and myself)
2.) It might be dust
3.) It might be a real object

Char lee asked about the color difference. The noise appears to be white but the object is black. I suggested it could be dead pixels from radiation. However, that doesn't seem to be possible. I checked later images and they do not contain the black pixel groupings. I only went through a handful of images, but it appears to only happen across a 2 day period (Sol 369 and 370). However, the white noise is apparent in all the photographs I looked it.

I'm not sure what this is, but after looking at other pictures I don't think it is noise. If it were noise it would likely be a systemic problem and would be apparent in many other photographs. In any case, it seems to be fundamentally different than the white-colored noise pixels by virtue of the fact that it only shows up in a few pictures.

I have provided a link for others to look at the repository. There are 4 cameras. There are two up front and two in the back. The camera in question is the rear avoidance labeled "Rear Hazcam: Left B". I started the link at Sol 369 but you can click on any day.

(link is mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s#/?slide=369)

tinyurl.com/m7b44z6
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...#/?slide=369

I have created a tinyurl of the link because ATS won't accept the #/?slide=369 portion of the link. It wouldn't accept the ascii code for the hash-tag either.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join