It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange yellow orb behind the moon right now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Is anybody up with a clear view of the moon right now? Went out for a late night smoke and at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! There is a weird yellow orb behind the moon it seems, and it's nearly as large as the moon itself. I can clearly see the bottom of the moon silhouetted against this yellow shape. is this some kind of strange atmospheric phenomenon - or something bizarre? Do me a favor and see if you can see it yourself... I don't want to think I'm hallucinating here... I am stone cold sober....

J
edit on 23-8-2013 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Maybe the moon is just too bright. When you look very bright objects, you can get afterimages and such. Its even possible to see it as "twice". Are you sure its not eye trick?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Anybody out there?

Anybody see what I'm seeing??

J.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I tried taking a few pics with my Nikon DSLR, but it really sucks at night-vision.
Plus, I'm no photographer either...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
i cant see it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

You can't see the moon? Or you can't see the weird yellow orb behind it?

Thanx.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Clear view, no clouds. all is well..
Also can not see behind .. the Moon
P.S i am in montreal, canada.

edit on 23-8-2013 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
just went outside.

The moon is clearly visible - but nothing weird going on.

You drunk?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay

Clear view, no clouds. all is well..
Also can not see behind .. the Moon
P.S i am in montreal, canada.

edit on 23-8-2013 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

Hmm..interesting. Thanks for checking. Seeing it here. Managed to get a few pics using nite-vision on my phone. Strange thing is...I couldn't capture the anomaly...but I caught another odd object flying about up there, only visible with the night-vision. I'll UL a couple of pics..

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

hahah!! I wish! Then it might make more sense. Nope - sober a s a judge. Thanks for checking. I don't understand how it could be a strictly local phenomenon though. Hmmm...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

We get a lot of weird stuff around here...but this is by far the strangest I've seen in a while.

J.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
reply to post by Awen24

hahah!! I wish! Then it might make more sense. Nope - sober a s a judge. Thanks for checking. I don't understand how it could be a strictly local phenomenon though. Hmmm...

I wasn't really checking, just kidding

Looking forward to the uploads!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Hah! Funny guy!

OK, I will UL the pics. The weird glow or orb behind the moon didn't come out. But - with the night shooting mode on, suddenly I could see an object zipping around up there...but I could not see it without the night mode on my phone. Odd... anyhow, here's the pics.

"http://i42.tinypic.com/24e6rsm.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

"http://i42.tinypic.com/24e6rsm.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

"http://i40.tinypic.com/2rot2lh.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

"http://i42.tinypic.com/9ghq0w.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

"http://i39.tinypic.com/27yoppw.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

"http://i40.tinypic.com/2emfrx1.jpg" border="0" alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

Odd huh??

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Believe me: I'm usually hyper-critical of night shots and night video myself. But I can assure people that I could see this object plainly through the viewfinder as I took the pics. However, I could not see it with the naked eye. I also saw something very strange at around 3am a few weeks ago here too.. But that was a lot closer.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
You'd be better off with the Nikon. Use manual mode, ISO 100 or 200, 1/100 second exposure. Take a shot, adjust exposure up or down a bit depending on results. Works best with a telephoto lense, 150 mm or so depending on what you have.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
Maybe the moon is just too bright. When you look very bright objects, you can get afterimages and such. Its even possible to see it as "twice". Are you sure its not eye trick?

That's what I initially thought too. However, I double checked by looking at a nearby security light - but it was not occurring with the light. I attempted a few pics with night-mode on my phone - which is when I saw the object zipping around up there too..

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The secondary orb you are seeing is a lens reflection/flare. That's why you are not seeing it with the naked eye.

I have several pics of the moon that shows the same.

edit on 23-8-2013 by oneisone because: need more coffee... typo

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
You'd be better off with the Nikon. Use manual mode, ISO 100 or 200, 1/100 second exposure. Take a shot, adjust exposure up or down a bit depending on results. Works best with a telephoto lense, 150 mm or so depending on what you have.

Thanks - yeah, I tried with the Nikon, but I've yet to master it well enough, and the shots came out poorly.
It is certainly worth the effort getting more converse with my DSLR I agree. Still, when you're in a hurry, you do what you can

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by oneisone

The secondary orb you are seeing is a lens reflection/flare. That's what you are not seeing it with the naked eye.

I have several pics of the moon that shows the same.

Yeah, it looks like that. But I could clearly see it as a darkish object zipping around up there. It looks like reflection/flare in the pics I agree - but I don't think it was. It was moving about independently of my camera movements - which I would think is a good clue that it probably wasn't lens flare... At least I seriously doubt it.
Oddly, the object was darkish in the viewfinder, yet looks lit up in the pic. Mind you, I'm no camera expert. Would lens flare look dark in the viewfinder when in night mode?
Or maybe the object didn't show up in the pic and we are looking at lens flare.... anybody's guess.Hmmm...

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I SAW IT!!! Or at least I think I did, lol. What you describe sounds similar to what I saw. I'm in Kentucky, btw.

I was outside from about 10:30 until midnight or so. I watch the sky on most clear nights, before I go to bed. Last night was hazy, but the moon and stars were still visible. I noticed there was a halo around the moon, which isn't anything unusual, but within that halo was a yellow halo that was just a bit larger than the moon itself. I figured it was probably an atmospheric condition because of the haze and although I did notice it and thought to myself that I'd never seen the moon look quite like that before, I didn't give it too much more thought. I didn't really think it looked like it was behind the moon, at the time, but thinking back on it, I can see where it may have seemed that way, and may be it really was, lol. Was it hazy where you are?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join