It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An image of Comet Ison or is it really a comet?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Very unusual. It has three nuclei - one is a conventional ball-shape but the other two may be flattened disks seen edge on.

Bearing in mind that Velikovsky claimed that Venus was a captured comet (and predicted a lot about Venus that has subsequently been confirmed) I wonder whether Ison may have more significance for us than is being recognised in public. The gravitational pull of our solar system might result in its capture too - maybe we might find it becomes a permanent companion!

I'm also intrigued by claims that Bluebonnet is also visible in the sky now.

Things are happening...

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WonderBoi
I've read and skimmed through 6 pages worth of comments...and didn't see Phage posting up? Now that's strange.

My guess is that he is on his way to the bumker

or waiting for NASA new BS updated

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Ison clearly has three nuclei. We see a conventional single point of light in the centre that is not distorted by the combined effect of Hubble tracking the stars. And whilst the two other points of light might be explained by the distortion mentioned in the blog, another explanation is that these two parts of the nuclei are flattened discs seen edge on.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Has anyone called on the almighty Phage to answer this for us???

Say his name 3 times in a row and he shows up like Beetlejuice!

Phage! Phage! Phage!

*looks around, hears crickets*

Well, that didn't work, now what?

I can't think of any logical reason that would explain these angles. And that's a biggie for a skeptic like me to admit. I'm about as perplexed as I can be, this is a very, very weird image. I'm not saying it's aliens, but if it it something along those lines, I wanna know what their fuel is. That's a LOT of light being emitted there.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Originally posted by jhn7537
Has anyone called on the almighty Phage to answer this for us???

Say his name 3 times in a row and he shows up like Beetlejuice!

Just wondering, is "Phage" the God of ATS?

Seems like when it comes to the unknown, you all turn to this being for answers.

Perhaps due to the inability of ATS members to think for themselves, the ATS admin. should consider "Deity" status for this almighty member?

Actually it is because like him/her or not he/her usually proves to be correct.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
And here's a image where I've zoomed in on the plotted locations in Starry Night, then pasted the Hubble image over it and just rotated it. You can see the paths match up nicely.

Repost for those who are still wondering.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ok, I'm gonna put in my two cents, I am, in no means, a photographer, or astrologer, BUT, I did read a few theories on the previous pages, one was that it has something to do with 440 sec exposure, Well, I'd imagine, if it were to blur something, It would not reflect the blur at the same time. Which is what it looks like to me.

Then we come to the change of trajectory, if it did that, at the angle it did, It is NOT a comet. It would be under some sort of intelligent control.

Now, here is my guess, the comet has the tail following it, the angled lines are the reflection of the sun on the tail.

I refer to Occams Razor. The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

But believe me, I'd love nothing more than to be visited by beings from another planet.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah

I'm not saying it's aliens, but...

edit on 19-8-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Then we come to the change of trajectory, if it did that, at the angle it did, It is NOT a comet. It would be under some sort of intelligent control. Now, here is my guess, the comet has the tail following it, the angled lines are the reflection of the sun on the tail.

The Hubble telescope's position changed which is what caused the angle, the comet didn't change trajectory.

Also what you think is the tail is not the tail. It is a blob of overexposure to light in the image. I think.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Off-topic: Georgio was my avatar for a while until it got yanked (it said "Boobies", which is apparently a no-no) I intend to reinstate Georgio as my avatar sooner or later, within the rules

On topic: I see the above post with the track overlaid, and that sort of makes sense. I'm having trouble visualizing what would influence the curve. Would this be the slingshot move it was going to do on the way back this way?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Originally posted by Bicent76
you know this is not the only weird Hubble image..

hubblesite.org...

so let me ask this..

If the way this comet looks is just the way Hubble takes pictures, why does it not do it to all the other comet pictures of the past?

I am not trying to fuel the paranoid, I am just trying to compare this image with others...

I do not see anything else out there like this...

edit on 19-8-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I have mentioned the same point a few times on this thread, I don't care about being right, but would just like the truth for once from Never A Straight Answer.

If you *got* the truth from them, would you be open-minded enough to accept it if it wasn't in agreement with your interpretation?

As for why none of the comets in those images look terribly similar, and none of them look like ISON, comets are no more 'generic' than planets. Put up side-by-side photographs of Mercury, Earth, and Saturn. Note how little they resemble each other? You could also try the same experiment with people. Look at Michael Jordan, Stevie Nicks, Grace Jones, and Ozzy Osbourne, and try to convince an alien that they're all the same species (bad choice on my part...I'm not sure Mr. Osbourne is the same species
),

The point of the above being that, just like everything else in the universe, comets are a fairly diverse crowd. Getting to specifics, the comets that are showing multiple bright spots clustered together, or multiple bright spots all strung out in a line are comets that are either in the process of breaking up, or have broken up under the stress of passing through the inner system. It's a very traumatic trip for the comet, and eventually thermal effects and mechanical stress will cause the solid portions of the nucleus to fall apart. The pieces will tend to stay clustered together for a few more trips, but eventually, the different-sized fragments will tend to spread out.

The second image in the list is 73p/Schwassmann–Wachmann. It's in the early stages of breaking up, and is now most likely to be seen as part of the Tau Herculids meteor shower.

The third and fourth images are of Shoemaker-Levy 9. It was known to be several small bodies long before it rather spectacularly interacted with Jupiter. The third image is a 'photo illustration', Given the kind of exposure times that you'd need to image the pieces of S-L9 that clearly, and what Jupiter would do to that kind of long-exposure work, I suspect that it's a composite. The fourth image is more what I'd expect of a shorter exposure photo of a comet, possibly with a color filter in place.

The last image is Hale-Bopp. I don't have the info for that particular image, but at first glance, the tiny white (non-elongated) dot near image center is probably the nucleus, with a very wide haze of boiled-off gas around it. The background stars are showing short streaks because the camera was tracking the comet.

No surprise that Comet ISON doesn't look like any of these...it'd be much more shocking if it did.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Phage could be drunk again. It's good to stay away from the net when drunk or hungover.
Sleep off the weekend, sweet Phage.
edit on 8/19/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
NeoParadigm is correct.

It's NOT a massive Boomerang spacecraft, just a comet (given the vapor trails).

NASA is just stupid for releasing a misleading composite photo and not explaining it.

The discussion can now turn to:

1. How big is it really?. Some suggest it's MUCH larger than NASA says.

edit on 19-8-2013 by Engonoceras because: edit

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm
The Hubble telescope's position changed which is what caused the angle, the comet didn't change trajectory.

Also what you think is the tail is not the tail. It is a blob of overexposure to light in the image. I think.

Are you saying then that Hubble was not taking up Ison per se?
edit on 19-8-2013 by smurfy because: Text

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Thank you for the share Yummy Freelunch very cool images...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

These exposures were made while the telescope tracked the stars. Because of the motion of the comet and the motion of HST in its orbit around the Earth, the comet trailed slightly relative to the stars during and between these exposures. This is not the way comets are usually observed. Normally we would track on the comet to keep it stationary in the camera during the exposure. However, in this case we wanted to produce an image of the comet against a background clearly showing stars and galaxies.

edit on 19-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

There's only 2 reasons your pic doesn't match.

1) the light in yours doesn't look uniform. Looks nice, but it is not uniform in width.

2) the tail on this pic is too uniform to be separate exposures if the thing is moving. I'm thinking random smudge, myself.
I also ran it thru some photoshopping, and the thing is VERY uniform in size and shape. Looks like the Shuttle with those reflective strips slapped on it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

"Why do we assume ufo's have or need headlights?"

And they cannot be Bussard Collectors? Something that has a function, and light is one of the side effects?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

Then we come to the change of trajectory, if it did that, at the angle it did, It is NOT a comet. It would be under some sort of intelligent control. Now, here is my guess, the comet has the tail following it, the angled lines are the reflection of the sun on the tail.

So, what your saying is, the really, really long thingie that is over 186,700 miles long that is following the comet is an over exposure of light in the image??? I was taught in school, comets have tails, like Hale-Bop had a split tail.

I will say this again, the lines at 45 degree angles of the center circular object in the middle are the reflection of sun light off of the comets tail. It is the only logical explaination. Please read my previous post again. It's pretty straight forward, and simple. Don't over anaylize it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

So, what your saying is, the really, really long thingie that is over 186,700 miles long that is following the comet is an over exposure of light in the image??? I was taught in school, comets have tails, like Hale-Bop had a split tail.

Why does it dissapear when you make the image darker?

ISON is extraordinary because of its enormity, it is 3 to 4 miles across in size and its tail 57,000 miles long!

ison.com...

Google is your friend.
edit on 19-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join