It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a patriot and I love the United States of America

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by biggm

Shhhh dont remind the American they only won the War of independance because of france

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok
reply to post by biggm

Now this is really interesting... two people, both from the UK, both claiming to be offended by the very thought of patriotism, and both exhibiting the most unconditional support of their country as anyone in this entire thread... including the OP!

Close to a full page of patting each other on the back for it too.

I think I am supposed to be offended... if so, I apologize. There are so many social aspects I have yet to fully understand, since they simply do not make logical sense to me. This is one of them. My initial reaction is that I am very glad you are both so patriotic, but a bit confused as to why your patriotism includes disdain for others... or is it just disdain for us?

If the former, then sure, be proud of your country! Be proud of the contributions it has made to society. Of course, you might want to contact a few history authors in the process... the reign of Bloody Mary, the shenanigans of Henry VIII, the abuses of the East India Trading Company which led to the actual employ and political favors to pirates, an attempt at world conquest that saw its doom in the successful revolution of a bunch of upstart, poorly-armed woodsmen who soundly defeated the British military, the collapse of the once-great British Pound Sterling as the International Reserve Currency practically overnight

Just like I am proud of my country! Of course, it would be easier if not for the atrocities of the Civil War, the attempted genocide of the natives, the political maneuvering to maintain our dollar as the International Reserve Currency, the spying on our own people, the abuses of power.

Kinda makes it sound like both countries have their good and their bad when I put it like that. Interesting.

If the latter, then I am truly sorry your country's continued atrocities toward my ancestors forced them to throw your ancestors out (I believe that is the sort of thinly-veiled insult one is expected to put forth; I hope it meets with your approval).

I really should thank both of you for making my original point, which had nothing to do with who stopped slavery first or who gave women equal rights first, or who whipped who in what battle in a long-forgotten and romanticized war... it's about the whether or not the country has contributed to the overall good of mankind. I say the USA has done so... you say sure, but we did it better.

It does not matter who did what better. That wasn't the point; those were examples. Yet, both of you took the opportunity to show unconditional patriotism toward your country while attempting to make fun of my conditional patriotism towards mine, which you both seem to consider extreme.

As I alluded to earlier, I am not the most savvy individual socially... the nuances sometimes simply don't make sense to me. But I am curious by nature, and in an attempt to understand those social nuances, I have spent many years observing humanity. I can see a parallel to your arguments, in the form of young children on a playground.
    "My daddy can beat up your daddy!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

And this leads me to the conclusion that you are simply exercising a human trait that is apparently not limited to young children. I thank you both for the insight.

Oh, and let me know when you have finished... I would not want to further interrupt your social tradition.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by biggm

Now this is really interesting... two people, both from the UK, both claiming to be offended by the very thought of patriotism, and both exhibiting the most unconditional support of their country as anyone in this entire thread... including the OP!

Close to a full page of patting each other on the back for it too.

I think I am supposed to be offended... if so, I apologize. There are so many social aspects I have yet to fully understand, since they simply do not make logical sense to me. This is one of them. My initial reaction is that I am very glad you are both so patriotic, but a bit confused as to why your patriotism includes disdain for others... or is it just disdain for us?

If the former, then sure, be proud of your country! Be proud of the contributions it has made to society. Of course, you might want to contact a few history authors in the process... the reign of Bloody Mary, the shenanigans of Henry VIII, the abuses of the East India Trading Company which led to the actual employ and political favors to pirates, an attempt at world conquest that saw its doom in the successful revolution of a bunch of upstart, poorly-armed woodsmen who soundly defeated the British military, the collapse of the once-great British Pound Sterling as the International Reserve Currency practically overnight

Just like I am proud of my country! Of course, it would be easier if not for the atrocities of the Civil War, the attempted genocide of the natives, the political maneuvering to maintain our dollar as the International Reserve Currency, the spying on our own people, the abuses of power.

Kinda makes it sound like both countries have their good and their bad when I put it like that. Interesting.

If the latter, then I am truly sorry your country's continued atrocities toward my ancestors forced them to throw your ancestors out (I believe that is the sort of thinly-veiled insult one is expected to put forth; I hope it meets with your approval).

I really should thank both of you for making my original point, which had nothing to do with who stopped slavery first or who gave women equal rights first, or who whipped who in what battle in a long-forgotten and romanticized war... it's about the whether or not the country has contributed to the overall good of mankind. I say the USA has done so... you say sure, but we did it better.

It does not matter who did what better. That wasn't the point; those were examples. Yet, both of you took the opportunity to show unconditional patriotism toward your country while attempting to make fun of my conditional patriotism towards mine, which you both seem to consider extreme.

As I alluded to earlier, I am not the most savvy individual socially... the nuances sometimes simply don't make sense to me. But I am curious by nature, and in an attempt to understand those social nuances, I have spent many years observing humanity. I can see a parallel to your arguments, in the form of young children on a playground.
    "My daddy can beat up your daddy!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

And this leads me to the conclusion that you are simply exercising a human trait that is apparently not limited to young children. I thank you both for the insight.

Oh, and let me know when you have finished... I would not want to further interrupt your social tradition.

TheRedneck

Pop your dummy back in, I never have said I was offended by patriotism, never did I say I was patriotic about the UK, I just thought you should get your facts correct regarding your very inaccurate post about the industrial revolution, never did I say I had distain for the US, I whole heartedly agree the UK and US have good and bad points, I never said the UK did anything better, I have no disdain for anyone I just wish people would do some research into a discussion they intend to join in with, I have never said we did anything better, Just like your post earlier you have failed to do any research, ie read and understood any of my previous posts, just as a child skips through a book I suggest you go back and re read my posts and you will find I said none of your above points, Oh and let me know when you have finished... I would not want to interrupt you whilst you are once again eating humble pie.

edit on 14-8-2013 by biggm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
May I also add, whilst you chose to lecture me on things I never said, you failed to address any point I made regarding George W and France and also failed to address any points regarding the industrial revolution, funny how you can only reply to fiction but not fact. but don't let me interrupt your tradition. If the banter between two members offends you I suggest you order some thicker skin.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by biggm

Pop your dummy back in

Say what? That has to be something cultural... thanks, I learned a new phrase today.

I never have said I was offended by patriotism

Really?

Originally posted by biggm
Meat heads like you are exactly what is wrong with your country.

That was in response to the OP, where Semper openly espoused his patriotism. Ergo, it appears you think patriots are "meat heats."

Just as I did not recognize your opening phrase, I may be misinterpreting... is "meat head" a term of endearment in the UK?

never did I say I was patriotic about the UK

You don't have to state exact words; your posts taken as a whole indicate such.

One need not use exact wording to convey a thought.

never did I say I had distain for the US

But you certainly seem to have such, again based on the entirety of your posts.

you failed to address any point I made regarding George W and France and also failed to address any points regarding the industrial revolution

What? You want me to defend George W., the one who implemented the Patriot Act? Sorry... can't do that.

As to the Industrial Revolution, there were more patents from American inventors than British inventors, which I will admit is probably due to the discrepancy in size of the two countries. I re-read the posts, and for the life of me it looks like I was extolling the virtues of the United States' good points, crazyewok tried to counter that the UK was superior in all those respects, I pointed out how his arguments were subjective and inaccurate, and you both had your little ceremony of back-patting.

Maybe we have different monitors here.... but that's what mine shows. Can you get a screenshot so we can compare?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Bless your little heart, if it pleases you to see it this way then so be it, ignorance is bliss, as they say, good luck with your education and good luck with your search for the truth.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by biggm

Pop your dummy back in

Say what? That has to be something cultural... thanks, I learned a new phrase today.

Really?

That was in response to the OP, where Semper openly espoused his patriotism. Ergo, it appears you think patriots are "meat heats."

Just as I did not recognize your opening phrase, I may be misinterpreting... is "meat head" a term of endearment in the UK?

you failed to address any point I made regarding George W and France and also failed to address any points regarding the industrial revolution

What? You want me to defend George W., the one who implemented the Patriot Act? Sorry... can't do that.

As to the Industrial Revolution, there were more patents from American inventors than British inventors, which I will admit is probably due to the discrepancy in size of the two countries. I re-read the posts, and for the life of me it looks like I was extolling the virtues of the United States' good points, crazyewok tried to counter that the UK was superior in all those respects, I pointed out how his arguments were subjective and inaccurate, and you both had your little ceremony of back-patting.

Maybe we have different monitors here.... but that's what mine shows. Can you get a screenshot so we can compare?

TheRedneck

I am also a brit but I didnt say anything against patriotism, but the OP is nothing about patriotism, firstly to be a patriot you have to first know what patriotism is, and be able to separate that from blind patriotism(nationalism).

crazyewok didnt say the UK was better, he said the uk and usa were about equal in regards to the inventions, but when did this become a penis comparison argument anyway?

No one said a patriot was a meat head, they said the OP was a meat head, as that is exactly what the OP shows. No one else posted a load of misguided tripe, although honourable in intent, its still a load of crap.
Isnt the motto of this site to deny ignorance? Well the OP is brimming with ignorance. Regardless of how noble he thinks he is.

If you cannot see how misguided the words in the OP are then you are as misguided as him.
We are all misguided from time to time, thats why the world is in such a state, all we can to is try to learn from each other and evolve mentally to overcome the ignorance that holds mankind back on so many levels.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Its not patriotism or being proud of ones country thats makeing us laugh.
Its loyalty. Loyalty to the country(Goverment) no matter what. And Loyalty is not what made America. The Loyal ones were the ones fighting you hence the name "loyalist"

Its supporting you troops and cheering them on even when they are clearly being used for wrong. Would you have cheered a redcoat on in 1776?

Its being proud of people that sigh up to the military even though they know they will not be defending there country anymore but be sent to oppress foreign countrys and meddle in anothers wars. Would you have donned a redcoat in 1776? Did you know at the start of the war of independance thousands of officers and NCO of the British army either refused to fight or resigned because they supported your cause? It why you got to fight againt muppets like Howe and Clinton who basicaly handed you the first half of the war as all out good officers left. Plus made it difficult to get manpower hence all the german mercsThey had moral integrity to know what was right and wrong. Imagine if thousnads of US officers and NCO resigned or refused to fight in Iraq or Afgahnistan? Or left the NSA/CIA? I think that would send a clear message that American say no to Tyranny still.

It those in the militray that will stand guard over a corrupt president, guard a CIA or NSA building or stand watch over America Toture camp (You know the one in Cuba). would you have stood guard for George III? Or a Patriot POW barge?

You say people that dont support the armed forces or join up dont have conviction? Yeah those that sigh up do have conviction. So did those that took the kings shilling in 1776 and those on the other side that signed the declration of independce. So did the Veit Cong and so too do the taliban even if they are twisted head cases.

But conviction does not nessarly have to come through blind loyalty or fighting.

Conviction were the ones in America that went to prison for refuseing to go to Vietnam due to it being a immoral war. No not the Draft dodgers that ran to Cananda but the brave souls that stayed and said NO!

Conviction is the CIA/NSA/DEA/FBI/Policeman thatquits a good high paying job and informs the public the illegal and unconstitutional acts there goverment is doing.

Conviction are the people that camp outside banks for the corrupt acts they inflected on us.

Conviction is man/Women that refuses to vote for a mainstream politician just because they have nice smile or a bigger campaign budget. And continue doing evne though they know the majority of brain dead voters will do the opposite.

Conviction is the man/women who writes letters and campiagns against there local politican even though they no it wont get them anywhere.

Conviction is the Soilder who is sicken on his first tour of Iraq/Afgahanistan and resigns as soon as his enlistment is up in disgust at the wrongs his country is doing.

Conviction is standing in court and contesting one of the immoral, socialy devisive or corrupt laws our goverments have passed even though it may cost us our money and maybe our freedom.

Conviction are those in the concentration camps and Gulags througout history and now in China and North Korea and Even Greece! who refuse to give up there beleifs, religions or politcial ideas even though it will result in beatings or death.

Now I have not had the oppotunity to test MY convictions but they are there and I hope when the time comes they wont falter.

I dont hate Vets BTW, on the contary when I start recruiting soon I will have a eye out for ex engineers.

Pssst the film The patriot was makeing things up. There were no "atrocities" not in the convential sense. It was just unfair treatmnet of the coloneys like in random taxes and faliure to allow representation. There were no ramapaging redcoats or concentration camps or village massacres, not anymore so than the Patriot side did too.
So another inaccuracy you might want to check out.
edit on 14-8-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

reply to post by biggm

Pop your dummy back in

Really?

TheRedneck

I am also a brit but I didnt say anything against patriotism, but the OP is nothing about patriotism, firstly to be a patriot you have to first know what patriotism is, and be able to separate that from blind patriotism(nationalism).

crazyewok didnt say the UK was better, he said the uk and usa were about equal in regards to the inventions, but when did this become a penis comparison argument anyway?

No one said a patriot was a meat head, they said the OP was a meat head, as that is exactly what the OP shows. No one else posted a load of misguided tripe, although honourable in intent, its still a load of crap.
Isnt the motto of this site to deny ignorance? Well the OP is brimming with ignorance. Regardless of how noble he thinks he is.

If you cannot see how misguided the words in the OP are then you are as misguided as him.
We are all misguided from time to time, thats why the world is in such a state, all we can to is try to learn from each other and evolve mentally to overcome the ignorance that holds mankind back on so many levels.

Bravo sir

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Its not patriotism or being proud of ones country thats makeing us laugh.
Its loyalty. Loyalty to the country(Goverment) no matter what. And Loyalty is not what made America. The Loyal ones were the ones fighting you hence the name "loyalist"

Its supporting you troops and cheering them on even when they are clearly being used for wrong. Would you have cheered a redcoat on in 1776?

Its being proud of people that sigh up to the military even though they know they will not be defending there country anymore but be sent to oppress foreign countrys and meddle in anothers wars. Would you have donned a redcoat in 1776? Did you at the start of the war of independance thousands of officers and NCO of the British army either refused to fight or resign because they supported your cause? It why you got to fight againt muppets like Howe and Clinton who basicaly handed you the first half of the war as all out good officers left. Plus made it difficult to get manpower hence all the german mercsThey had moral integrity to know what was right and wrong. Imagine if thousnads of US officers and NCO resigned or refused to fight in Iraq or Afgahnistan? Or left the NSA/CIA? I think that would send a clear message that American say no to Tyranny still.

It those in the militray that will stand guard over a corrupt president, guard a CIA or NSA building or stand watch over America Toture camp (You know the one in Cuba). would you have stood guard for George III? Or a Patriot POW barge?

You say people that dont support the armed forces or join up dont have conviction? Yeah those that sigh up do have conviction. So did those that took the kings shilling in 1776 and those on the other side that signed the declration of independce. So did the Veit Cong and so too do the taliban ven if they are twisted head cases.

But conviction does not nessarly have to come through blind loyalty or fighting.

Conviction were the ones in America that went to prison for refuseing to go to Vietnam due to it being a immoral war. No not the Draft dodgers that ran to Cananda but the brave souls that stayed and said NO!

Conviction is the CIA/NSA/DEA/FBI/Policeman thatquits a good high paying job and informs the public the illegal and unconstitutional acts there goverment is doing.

Conviction are the people that camp outside banks for the corrupt acts they inflected on us.

Conviction is man/Women that refuses to vote for a mainstream politician just because they have nice smile or a bigger campaign budget.

Conviction is the man/women who writes letters and campiagns against there local politican even though they no it wont get them anyway.

Conviction is the Soilder who is sicken on his first tour of Iraq/Afgahanistan and resigns as soon as his enlistment is up in disgust at the wrongs his country is doing.

Conviction is standing in court and contesting one of the immoral, socialy devisive or corrupt laws our goverments have passed even though it may cost us our money and maybe our freedom.

Conviction are those in the concentration camps and Gulags througout history and now in China and North Korea and Even Greece! who refuse to give up there beleifs, religions or politcial ideas even though it will result in beatings or death.

Now I have not had the oppotunity to test MY convictions but they are there and I hope when the time comes they wont falter.

I dont hate Vets BTW, on the contary when I start recruiting soon I will have a eye out for ex engineers.

Pssst the film The patriot was makeing things up. There were no "atrocities" not in the convential sense. It was just unfair treatmnet of the coloneys like in random taxes and faliure to allow representation. There were no ramapaging redcoats or concentration camps or village massacres, not anymore so than the Patriot side did too.
So another inaccuracy you might want to check uo.

A big pat on the back for you

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

[, crazyewok tried to counter that the UK was superior in all those respects,

Actually no I didnt

I just pointed out some facts and dates you got wrong thats all. Im a amatur hisitorian (doing my 2nd degree in that) and hate wrong history

It was you that was guilty of trying to make America seem supieror at the expenese of other countrys and also trying to claim credit for other country social changes when in fact there were seperate or the other way round.

But as a counter point the USA has done some great things and for the purpose of non bias and balance:
Man on the Moon
spear heading the motor Industry
The Airplane
A lot of Computer tec

America has contrubuted a lot no queation about that, and thank you for it. But please acknowledge the great achievements of others. Mabye people will repecet the USA more for mutual respect and maybe thanking others like I did just now. Rather than fighting, acting superior and gennraly not comprimiseing like the OP said at the start of his post IE acting like spoiled brat .

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Bravo Sir!
Good show old chap

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Bravo Sir!
Good show old chap

Hey jolly old chums, how about we solve this with a game of cricket?

And maybe a chat over some tea and scones/crumpets afterwards?

No not baseball, cricket.

Okay just trying to lighten the mood.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

[, crazyewok tried to counter that the UK was superior in all those respects,

Actually no I didnt

I just pointed out some facts and dates you got wrong thats all. Im a amatur hisitorian (doing my 2nd degree in that) and hate wrong history

Lol for someone doing their second degree your spelling leaves a lot to be desired, kinda scary really, please tell me your fingers cant keep up with your thoughts, because if thats your real spelling, then our education system is in real trouble, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Its useing a Galaxy tablet (plus a small bit of dylexia). I hate I repeat HATE useing touch pad keyboards

And this site really doesnt come up well on a tablet either its a nightmare to edit or quote.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Agreed, I don't use my android on this forum or my own as it is a pain.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Its useing a Galaxy tablet (plus a small bit of dylexia). I hate I repeat HATE useing touch pad keyboards

And this site really doesnt come up well on a tablet either its a nightmare to edit or quote.

HAHAHA, I have exaclty the same problem on my phone, they just didnt factor in the size of my thumbs when they designed it.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Well, I must congratulate you... that was an excellent post.

I found it excellent not because of your position but because you clearly explained your position:

Its loyalty. Loyalty to the country(Goverment) no matter what.

I do not grant loyalty to any government "no matter what." Just the reverse: I tend to be outspoken in criticizing the government now in power and the errors it has committed against its own citizenry and against the International community.

But I am loyal to the United States, to the people who work hard and try to make this country a better place, to the entrepreneurs who create businesses that employ others and spur this economy on, to my neighbors who are trying to make it through this life as I am, and to my family.

Loyalty does not mean unconditional acceptance, but rather an acceptance of the principles that the loyalty is based on. I do believe in the principles of the United States: equality under the law, freedom to choose one's path in life, personal responsibility for one's actions. To that end, yes, I am loyal to the United States of America.

But that does not mean I agree with the Patriot Act, with the aggressive maneuvers in the Middle East (too many for too long to list here), with the illegal spying on citizens, with the corruption in Washington DC, with the abuses of power, with the lack of personal responsibility, with the "nanny state," or with the recent tendency to propagandize every political agenda by calling it a "war." All these things are against what I believe in and what I am loyal to.

I state proudly, again, that I am absolutely loyal to our troops. But it does not mean I will condone actions of individuals that violate the conditions upon which that loyalty rests. I will not condone immoral acts outside of what is demanded by the conditions under which they are placed, but I will condone their act of self-sacrifice in enlisting and serving honorably.

I will not condone the actions of those in power who send these young men and women to fight for something other than freedom, and I know this is happening. However, I also know that evil has arisen in the world before and will do so again, evil which threatens peace and security for all. The last major such issue was WWII. Just because it is not happening now, only a fool would believe it could not happen again. If and when it does happen, it will be the military who are called upon to resist oppression. No one else can do it.

The height of arrogance is to believe that someone will fight for others when those others have a history of berating those who fight for them. You, sir, seem very confident in your position in life... you apparently have a good education and have made a great achievement to mankind. But what good does a cancer treatment do for someone in the middle of a battlefield? None. What good would a clean power supply do for one who is dying of a bullet wound? None.

Everything you see around you came about because of the sacrifices of others. Everything. Your career, your home, your family, your community, your town, your country... everything. Without the men and women who fought and died during WWII, Britain would be under German rule today; that is a fact. It is also a fact that the United States would probably have fallen shortly thereafter to the same fate.

No one serving on those front lines knew everything about the war in which they found themselves... they knew what they had been told, and later what they had seen. What they knew was that their commanders and the nation they lived in had declared war and they had a job to do or die trying. Some did the job; others died trying. But all would have died trying had too many decided in the middle of the battlefield to lay down their arms and refuse to fight a war they personally considered "unjust."

I have had the privilege of knowing many Vietnam veterans personally in my life. I have come to respect every single one of them, and I have learned that most of them have serious issues with the policies of the United States. Perhaps that is why I respect them so much: in the face of doubt, in the face of ridiculous commands, in the face of confusion over right and wrong, they did what they had to do, for themselves, their comrades in arms, their families back home, their country, and yes, their government.

The Vietnam war was a joke... a police action created when we decided to butt our noses in where they didn't belong and meddle with a sovereign country. But our soldiers are heroes.

I could not look myself in the mirror if I lived the life I live now, in relative ease and comfort, secure in the fact that my only enemy at this point in time is likely to be domestic and not some tyrant bent on world domination, confident in the fact that some justice still exists, and still did not give some measure of appreciation to those who fought to maintain that... regardless of what political maneuvering went on behind the scenes. Apparently you can.

TheRedneck
edit on 8/14/2013 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Star for you BTW .
I think this were we falll flat here.

I repect all those who have dead or served in defence of ones country. But note the words defence.
I cant moraly support wars I know are illegal or wrong. To me its like:

Germans Cheering Wehrmacht off to poland
North Korea Cheering there Men off to war
Iraqis cheering there men off to Invade Kuwait
Loyalists cheering the Redcoats off Lexington

You see the moral twist? All the above you find vile. Not really because of the men but for what they were used for BUT you still wouldnt cheer them on. To me the US and UK armed forces can join that list above and it sadens me. And I dont want to support any wrong actions. To me that would be no diffrent moraly than civilians sending food packages to there relatives in the Germany Army in world war 2.

As for defence? Well If a real threat emerges or my country or even the USA or other UK freinds are attacked then yes I will do my part. I will likley sign on for the medical core and train to be a combat medic, though I doubt my health will let me be accepted

And hopefully I can help a retutning vet or two with jobs soon.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join