It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive water overruns Fukushima barrier - TEPCO

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

This is terrible news!

How are we going to sort this mess out??

It's not as if we can sypher out the radioactive water from the Sea.

The Pacific may be huge but if they can't stop this thing from leaking, well... what's the outcome? The Pacific will be dead and everything in it.... no wonder there's been Fish and other Animals dying!

All this for the sake of Money!

The search for a more efficient Power has come back to kick us in the rare..... said a long time ago that Nuclear was not the way to go.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Times like this make me wonder, why technologies imagined, and used in the star trek series. Almost all have become reality, or theoretically plausible... all but the transporter device of course... Which would be perfect to transport the stuff to the Moon.

Ironic.

However. The Earth has been a toxic place before, when almost all all life got extinct. My bet is that life will be victorious once more. Lets pray, it won't produce any intelligent self centered species with opposable thumbs again.

I won't be around anyway... My world ends way before all Japanese get fried. Maybe I'm lucky enough to be part of a global entity that will finally be the last one to learn all there is to learn.

In the mean while... Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread but I did read the first page of mostly pessimistic responses to the situation off the coast of Japan. I agree entirely that the situation is terrible, but there is a response to this situation.

First of all, what is leaching into the Pacific is radioactive elements suspended in water. The ocean has huge amounts of "heavy metals" of all sorts suspended in it, including uranium and others. The Japanese who have a hunger for raw materials for their industrial activities investigated and researched mining the ocean for all sorts of metals using special filters that they developed. This technology exists. There is no doubt about it. It's on the web for anyone to learn about.

The international community should be jumping on the Japanese over this situation. If it takes an international effort to solve the Fukushima problem, then that should be undertaken and the Japanese should be billed for it. In addition they should be given a quota, monitored internationally to mine out of the Pacific metals in equivalent to those dumped into it by the reactor disaster.

I'm no expert, but I think this can be done.

One of the big problems is that the Japanese will probably insist that all the other big polluters in the world do likewise and what's wrong with that?

Technology exists to deal with this issue. Of course it would be better if we didn't have to deal with it, but we are where we are.

Apologies if this was dealt with earlier in the thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
special filters to filter the oceans ? that sounds good but not really realistic. care to elaborate ? maybe a link to this radioactivity filters ?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
One of the worlds largest concrete pumps is on its way to Fukushima to build a wall around all the reactors.

chronicle.augusta.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Of course, it would be a great idea but How long would it take?

My guess is it would take hundreds of years to clean up the Radioactive water!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Originally posted by borntowatch
Everybody who knows, knows that there is nothing anyone can do.
The situation is uncontainable and the Pacific ocean will be dead in years to come.

This was the outcome from the start and cant ever be changed, cept maybe a few aliens and seriously who would believe that. Plenty I would think.

This is the end of the Pacific ocean forever.

I am probably going to sound nuts here, in fact, I feel a bit crazy on this issue. However I'm going to say my peace (spelled that way on purpose).

There is always something that can be done. It's a matter of what sacrafices we are willing to make individualially and collectively for the common could.

Some old unused words here: It's about Honor and Duty. The Japanese are 'supposed' to be the epitomy of those terms; however, we are seeing neither in this circumstanse. It fact, the personal self is 'supposed' to be subordinate to the common welfare. That is the foundation of Duty and Honor. I see none here.

The Russian's, at chernobyl, showed what Honor and Duty mean in their handling of their nuclear crisis. Yes, they tried to hide the danger initially however they soon, listeining to scientists, hearing them and acting on facts, moved to action and asked for help.

Japanese "duty and honor" is to the corporation first, then to the country and emperor.

Therefore, preventing Tepco from losing face by admitting they have got the country into something beyond their control is not something they are going to do. They are just going to smile, bow and say "so sorry" repeatedly. Even by asking for help, would allow international inspectors see how badly the reactor had been maintained.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
One of the worlds largest concrete pumps is on its way to Fukushima to build a wall around all the reactors.

chronicle.augusta.com...

Ain't going to do jack all. Molten core is %99 most likely breached the containment vessel and melthing through theearth. WWhere its contacting the water table, which also flows into the ocean.

Building a friggen wall around it won't stop the radiation.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by glowdog

There is a lot of work being done in this area. The initial idea in Japan was to mine for uranium for their nuclear power industry. They have made special filters to do this.

spectrum.ieee.org...

Our oceans contain an estimated 4.5 billion metric tons of uranium, diluted down to a minuscule 3.3 parts per billion. The idea of extracting uranium from seawater has been kicking around for decades now, but the materials and processes to do so may finally be economically viable.

The best method works like this: A polymer substrate—basically, plastic—is irradiated, and then chemicals with an affinity for uranium are grafted onto it. The material is woven into 60-meter-long braids, and these are then brought out by boat to water at least 100 meters deep. The braids are chained to the ocean floor and allowed to float passively in the water, like an artificial kelp forest. After about 60 days, the boat returns and pulls in the adsorbent materials—now sporting a healthy yellow tint from the uranium. The plastic is then brought back to shore, and the uranium is eluted off.

This process is still in its infancy and is not as efficient as terrestrial mining. However work is being done to fine tune the process for other elements and also to incorporate algae into the equation, using their bioprocesses to create greater concentrations of minerals in the water before mining them.

Bottom line, the situation is not hopeless, although it will take work to sort it out.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I just got a strange information I would like to share. Apparently, a device called a "Joe cell" was invented in the 50s, which can greatly reduce radioactivity. Here is the original information. Quote:

"I have some experience with water being radioactive. If the water is radioactive the you must use a powerful Scalar wave device like a Joe cell. A Joe cell in the fifties was used to power a car and then the German scientist found out the wave created in the Joe cell that was use to power the vehicle also remove the ability of radioactive particle to emit radiation. In normal ocean water from anywhere you have a small percentage of Potassium -40. This form of potassium is radioactive and it is in most of our fruits especially bananas. I would suggest you use a scalar device with high power feed to stabilize the Radioactive particle. It the experiment in the fifties it removed radiation from particle that were half-life of 40,000 years in minutes."

Quote end.

What do you say? Is there such a thing called a Joe cell, and does it do what it's supposed to do?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join