It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Yassir Arafat Officially Pronounced Dead

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yassir Arafat has been officially pronounced dead in a Paris hospital. His death has been confirmed by members of his cabinet. Saeb Erakat, Palestinian spokesman, announced his death simply outside the hospital saying, "after these painful days President Arafat, he is dead."

www.msnbc.msn.com
PARIS - BULLETIN: Al-Jazeera television and The Associated Press are reporting that Yasser Arafat is dead.

Earlier, as a top Islamic cleric read passages from the Quran at Yasser Arafat's hospital bedside Wednesday, a Palestinian official gave the bleakest assessment yet of the leader�s condition, saying he is suffering from kidney and liver failure and that his brain is only partially functioning.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath, speaking in the West Bank city of Ramallah, said the 75-year-old Arafat was in a deep coma and that all his organs except for heart and lungs �are not functioning well.�

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yassir Arafat's body will now be moved to Cairo for a funeral, followed by burial in Ramallah. The PLO Executive Committee will now decide who will be Arafat's successor. Most likely that will be Mahmoud Abbas who is currently number two in the PLO.

Related Links
www.reuters.com
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

Abovetopsecret.com Discussion Threads
Palestinian Source Claims Yassir Arafat is Dead
Arafat to be Buried at Ramallah Compound

[edit on 12-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I just heard it on the news. Two seconds ago I just went aroudn the house yelling it.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
After the back & forth "yes he is/no he's not" over the last week or so, I hope his family finds peace now.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Now the treasure hunt begins in ernest...

Where is the money?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It looks like he is actually dead this time. All the major news networks are picking up the story.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The plan of succession is not clear at this point, but the Palestinian Constitution does appear to have a provision for such a change.

www.cnn.com
His death leaves no clear immediate successor in the often fractious world of Palestinian politics.

The Palestinian constitution provides that the speaker of the Palestinian House of Representatives assumes temporary power if the president dies or is found to be unable or incompetent to rule.

The constitution calls for elections within 60 days to fill the post permanently.

My hope is that there will not be a power vaccuum in the Palesinian territories that could possibly be filled by the likes of Hamas or Islamic Jihad.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Whats going to happen to the palistine people now?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
As far as the money goes, I�d like to now see our tax dollars go to the intended recipients, and not Arafat�s slush fund. Maybe now there is a chance.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I do believe that this is a good thing for the Palestinian people. IMHO, I think the man was evil.

JERUSALEM � Former U.S. envoys say that the passing of Yasser Arafat (search) would open up new opportunities for Mideast peace, especially if new, pragmatic Palestinian leaders emerge.

But they say a breakthrough largely depends on a change of course by two other men: Ariel Sharon (search) and George W. Bush.
In interviews, the diplomats � key players in Mideast peacemaking for decades � said Bush's re-election and Arafat's grave illness will likely represent a turning point in peace efforts.

But intense power struggles could plague post-Arafat Palestinian politics, they warned. And even if moderates win out, neither Bush nor Sharon have a good track record on seizing opportunities for peace.

LINK

[edit on 10-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Apparently he died about 2 hours ago - 4:30am local time/9:30pm EST

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Information I am hearing on CNN is that he was removed from life support. I assume that would mean that the cleric that was there, gave permission for this based on his observations that the organs were not longer functioning on their own.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
REMINDER
Please re-read and keep in mind the note at the top of the screen there:
"Moderation of this forum will be slightly more strict with a low tolerance for ... off-color remarks"

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
it's amazing, the world is treating this with more respect than when Reagan died. He was a thug! Get over it. Maybe now the "Palestinian People" can have a chance now. Not that I really give a crap about them

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am a new member here, and eyed the the first new "news" that Yassar entered the final frontier. Earlier today, I saw a picture of one of his wives, a scrumptious blonde number. Politics aside, the man really soaked up all the lavishness the priveleged few enjoy. Back to politics, Yassar's death will most likely shake or shape things out. Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
In reply to an above thread, I don't want to see any of my tax dollars go over there. duh

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I found this article interesting.

Yasser Arafat's life and times
www.news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
before I go to bed, just let me say that as an American, I find it totally fitting that he died in France.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Plans are quickly taking place that will keep the Palestinian Authority from moving into chaos. The Speaker of the Parliment will take the position of President for a period of 60 days until elections can be held.

news.yahoo.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The Palestinian parliament speaker will be sworn in as Palestinian Authority president in the coming hours, a Palestinian Cabinet minister said Thursday.

Palestinian officials have said they want to ensure a smooth transition. Under Palestinian law, Parliament Speaker Rauhi Fattouh, a virtual unknown, is to become caretaker president until elections are held in 60 days.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Plans are quickly taking place that will keep the Palestinian Authority from moving into chaos. The Speaker of the Parliment will take the position of President for a period of 60 days until elections can be held.

news.yahoo.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The Palestinian parliament speaker will be sworn in as Palestinian Authority president in the coming hours, a Palestinian Cabinet minister said Thursday.

Palestinian officials have said they want to ensure a smooth transition. Under Palestinian law, Parliament Speaker Rauhi Fattouh, a virtual unknown, is to become caretaker president until elections are held in 60 days.

yeah, like things were totally under control until now. I'd hate to se the Israieli / Palestinian thing get out of control

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by trogdor
yeah, like things were totally under control until now. I'd hate to se the Israieli / Palestinian thing get out of control

I am sure things could get much worse if Hamas were to try and fill the hole left by Arafat. The role over of the existing political structure within the PA is better then allowing that group to take over. At least there are some moderates within the PA.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join