It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Yassir Arafat Officially Pronounced Dead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by trogdor
before I go to bed, just let me say that as an American, I find it totally fitting that he died in France.

Well does this surprise anyone?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
My wife, who is a nurse, had a good take on this. She said he died three days ago, they just kept the body functioning long enough so that they could figure out what to do.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Regarding the possible chaos now, Arafat could have headed it off by naming his successor. But that would have assumed that he cared about his people enough to spare them the possibility of chaos. He only cared about himself; the story of his life.

Roark, I think your wife was right. Isn't there something about them burying their dead within a certain period of time after death? And earlier in the day, there were bulldozers at Arafat's compound cleaning away some of the rubble to dig a hole and bury him.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I am hearing on CNN that Arafat will not be "buried" in Ramallah, but rather he will be keep in a masoleum at the Mukata until a Palestinian state has been created and he can be buried in East Jerusalem.

I am also seeing pictures of many people gathering at his Ramallah compound. The PA has announced a 40 day mourning period for Arafat.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
I found this article interesting.

Yasser Arafat's life and times
www.news.com.au...

Sanc'.

Now THAT is a Resume to be proud of!
And he seemed like such a kindly old man..

May he rest in pieces.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i was talking to an Israeli friend.

With Arafat out of the way, Israel can now tighten the noose with no barriers. It is just a matter of time now for israel to take it all lock, stock, barrel.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
i was talking to an Israeli friend.

With Arafat out of the way, Israel can now tighten the noose with no barriers. It is just a matter of time now for israel to take it all lock, stock, barrel.

rustiswordz, just curious... would the policy you are mentioning be the same without Sharon? Or is this something that the Israelis as a whole advocate?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well my friend is an ex pat israeli living in the UK, and she says that friends she spoken to in Israel says this is a chance to sort the mess out one way or another once and for all.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well I have something to remind people of,

Remember this?

Who murdered the athletes of the Israeli 1972 Olympic Team in Munich?

At 4:30AM on September 5, 1972, five Arab terrorists wearing track suits climbed the six and 1/2 foot fence surrounding the Olympic Village in Munich, Germany. Once inside, they were met by three others who had gained entrance with credentials. Within 24 hours, 11 Israelis, five terrorists, and a German policeman were dead.

Who were the Munich terrorists?
The Munich operation was ordered by Yasser Arafat and carried out by Fatah, Arafat'sfaction of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO).

www.palestinefacts.org...

And folks are saddened by this loss? Hell, the Palastinians should be rejoicing! Now maybe they can pursue peace for real.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Even more curious, because "take it all, lock stock and barell" and "sort the whole mess out" can have two very different meanings.

Do you think they mean to take back all the land that was set aside for the PA, or are they hoping that someone will step forward as a leader and except the offer that has been made for a Palestinian state

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
I found this article interesting.

Yasser Arafat's life and times
www.news.com.au...

Sanc'.

The wierdest thing about that article is at the bottom when Sharon, Bush, and Arafat agree to a "road map" of creating a Palestinian State by the year 2005. Well, for those of us who know what i am talking about, 7 years after that is 2012... BUM BUM BUM!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Maybe Bush's call for a state will finally come, but do the Palestinians really want peace? Do their leaders? We shall see....

Bush Hopes for Peace As Arafat Passes On
Thursday November 11, 12:44 PM

President Bush said Wednesday he is hopeful about Mideast peace negotiations with new Palestinian leaders. Bush spoke before Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's death Thursday in a hospital outside Paris.

Against the backdrop of strong American support for Palestinian moderators already designated for top roles, Bush said, "There will be an opening for peace when leadership of the Palestinian people steps forward and says, `Help us build a democratic society.'"

"And when that happens _ and I believe it's going to happen because I believe all people desire to live in freedom _ the United States of America will be more than willing to help build the institutions necessary for a free society to emerge so that the Palestinians can have their own state," Bush said.

He spoke after a White House meeting with Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, the secretary-general of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

After his own meeting with the former Dutch foreign minister, Secretary of State Colin Powell stressed peace prospects rest heavily on whether a new leadership makes it clear it will fight terrorism and "will not in any way give any kind of support to terrorist activities."

Also, Powell said, the new leaders must be able to "mobilize the Palestinian people to bring them together to the realization that terrorism is not helping them achieve their desire for a state of their own, a desire that all of us share."

"If that kind of leadership emerges," Powell said, "then we stand ready to work with them."

LINK

Will there be peace now? Well history says the chances are better now

[edit on 11-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by trogdor
before I go to bed, just let me say that as an American, I find it totally fitting that he died in France.

I think you meant to say, as YOU, you found it totally fitting. Thanks.

Fellow American,

phaedrus

[edit on 10-11-2004 by phaedrusxxx]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Palestinians are flocking to Arafat's Ramallah compund as flags all over the Palestinian Territories have been lowered to half staff. A mourning period of fourty days has been announced.

www.foxnews.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank Palestinians reacted with tears and tributes to the death of their leader Yasser Arafat on Thursday.

Palestinian flags at Arafat's battered compound in the West Bank city of Ramallah were lowered to half staff. Television broadcast excerpts from the Quran with a picture of Arafat in the background.

In the Gaza Strip, mosques blared Quranic verses and children burned tires on the main streets, covering the skies in black smoke. People pasted posters of Arafat on building walls.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.msnbc.com
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Tens of thousands of Palestinians poured into the streets of the Gaza Strip on Thursday in a spontaneous show of grief over Yasser Arafats death.

Dozens of gunmen fired into the air, and marchers waved Palestinian flags. Loudspeakers blared some of Arafats most famous quotes. The crowds closed roads of refugee camps and towns across the Gaza Strip.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder what the funeral in Cario and his internment in a masoleum at the Mukata will be like? I am hoping for a peaceful period, but I will not be surprised if some feel they need to honor his passing with bombs.

[edit on 11/11/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hell yeah! It's about time! I've been waiting for days to hear about it!

Break out the champaign!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well I guess we have our answer as to wether peace has a shot!

Palestinians to continue struggle

Palestinian Authority officials and opposition leaders have vowed to safeguard national unity in the wake of leader Yasir Arafat's death.

Seeking to cope with the absence of the man who was at the helm of the Palestinian national struggle for nearly 40 years, leaders of the mainstream Fatah movement, undertook not to allow his passing to impact the movement's ability to keep up the struggle against Israeli occupation.

"I know the Israelis are trying to disseminate a lot of propaganda in this regard for the purpose of undermining our people's morale.

"Arafat's death will undoubtedly be shocking news for all of us, but our people are always able to rise up again and keep up the struggle which Arafat embodied all his life," he said.

Asked whether he harboured any worries about the behaviour of the Palestinian opposition, especially Hamas, after Arafat's death, al-Lowh said "not at all".

"I assure you that the opposition is more disciplined and more committed to national unity than many people think."

LINK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Edsinger

Well finally I'd have to agree with you... this man was a brutal terrorist and his death is excellent. He did order an attack on the 1972 olympics which did kill innocent people.. the world is alot safer now thanks to the passing of this nutcase.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Here is some history on the man, the very violent man.

His Fatal Flaw; No Vision and No Courage

By Richard Z. Chesnoff
The New York Daily News
November 10, 2004

I never could bring myself to tell my Aunt Sadie, but I once shared chicken soup with Yasser Arafat. It was at the end of a long interview, one of several with him over the years. "Come have lunch," he said in a tone decidedly more congenial than our conversation had been.

On the table was a tureen of broth with chunks of boiled chicken floating in it. "My favorite," he said. "I have it every day." I made a joke, of course, about chicken soup being Jewish penicillin. He didn't get it.

And that was the problem: Arafat never got it. He had little patience for remarks or questions he disliked. Any challenge to his authority brought an especially harsh rebuke if you were a foreigner - and a long knife if you were a fellow Palestinian.

What was Arafat's fatal flaw? Why did a man who had both the opportunity and the intellect to deliver his people a state of their own fail to do so?

He lacked the realism, the vision and, most important, the courage to make the shift from terrorist to statesman. He spoke (in Arabic) not of peace with Israel but of a truce, something he could always break. And he refused to tell his people that Israel never would commit demographic suicide by letting millions of Palestinians return.

LINK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
Well finally I'd have to agree with you... this man was a brutal terrorist and his death is excellent. He did order an attack on the 1972 olympics which did kill innocent people.. the world is alot safer now thanks to the passing of this nutcase.

I doubt the world is any safer. Arafat was marginalized a year ago. How quik you all are to dance a jig now that he is dead. No doubt he was a brutal terrorist. However, part of the world views him in a different light.

As always its a matter of prespective and it depends on whos side you are on. The founding fathers of the United States were all rebels and terrorists in the eyes of England. Revered as they are by us, they were equally hated and scorned eleswhere.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Just broke on CNN. The IDF is on high alert and they have sealed Gaza and the West Bank. Not may details other than that.

It makes sence IMHO. This could erupt inot a huge conflict, but it seems that for now things are quiet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join