It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Maya Frieze Found in Guatemala

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Well it's funny i presented the thread on the Sumerian Storm God Anzu bird in the Aliens and Ufos forum, and someone was asking me there if i could think of South American equivalent, so here we go meet Chan Yopaat

So then, why didn't you post this in the same forum as the other?

edit on 8/8/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

reply to post by ERagerz

You're welcome, this will re-ignite disputes regarding Mayan Deities launching into the skies.

I would think not, it appears to be a variant of the standard Mayan representation of the tree of life. Similar to this one found on a lid in a burial chamber in another pyramid.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

What i like most about it is when about to ascend to the Heavens he wears the great storm bird head dress, here's the same Deity from Copan without such

reply to post by Chamberf=6

Because this is of major historical interest however one likes to interpret it so deserves its own thread here.

reply to post by Hanslune

That's what i was implying sort of, in that here the Storm God is identified as ascending to the sky, which is the disputed claim of some regarding the Pacal coffin lid carving, so if one can be seen to be doing it why not the other...
edit on 8-8-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

What i like most about it is when about to ascend to the Heavens he wears the great storm bird head dress, here's the same Deity from Copan without such

As if to signify sky related activities...
@ times 1 wonders what the original influence of head gear started as, like was it a skull actual head of some large no longer living creature that was placed on the top of heads of certain individuals. Or are the head gears mimicking SOME who were seen generations before and the culture adopted the imagery. As a way to show relation to the past activities/encounters.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

True but if you read the writing associated with Pacal's lid it explains what it is.

Here is a detailed look at that tomb with a detailed view of the inscription (starting on page 55)
edit on 8/8/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think there will always be two camps, ... Mayan Tree of Life, and something blasting off. For now I am going to take a mid-line stance on this one.

Here is the "Tree of Life" in color, and I did a quick down and dirty colourization to the newest finding....personally I don't see anything that resembles a tree in it.

It's not the greatest but it's all I have time for at the moment.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

That is pretty awesome.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

Looks great and I don't see anything resembling a tree either....

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
Great post S& tried to flag but the computer just works with no flag grrrer....I have flown all over central and south America and to me with the thick jungle it is amazing anyone could move much less build!!

At the time these people were around and those buildings constructed, the surrounding land was was all pasture. At some point in time, when they needed new fields to feed the population, they would be cutting down trees, removing boulders, rocks and baskets of pebbles. They probably had a problem with what to do with them all, so they'd find uses for them to line streams, build walls, shelters tables, ornaments, tools.

Most of these buildings seem to have been built around existing geological structures, so that would save some effort. Maybe they cut down trees as they needed rocks rather than removing rocks after they cut down trees for firewood.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r
I think there will always be two camps, ... Mayan Tree of Life, and something blasting off. For now I am going to take a mid-line stance on this one.

Here is the "Tree of Life" in color, and I did a quick down and dirty colourization to the newest finding....personally I don't see anything that resembles a tree in it.

It's not the greatest but it's all I have time for at the moment.

Wow that's awesome - do you have access to something like Z-brush to make it into a 3D relief-map / bump-map texture?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

Unfortunately I don't have anything like that. i will have to look into it, sounds interesting.

I simply used Gimp to fill in the drawing with some of the colors from the Pacal art piece.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIEGE
At last.

So this is where my fear of clowns came from ?!

Yes, I see a clown as well.
Probably the person who first discovered clownology?

I wonder how much history is lost to us due to looters, as this find just escaped a lootin' by dumb luck.

To me it seems the snake starts at the 'flames' on the 'throne' and like smoke spreads outwards, the snake is of a 'billowy' kind of design, like smoke clouds.

Nice to have another one of these to peruse.

PS, someone beat me to it, serves me right for posting before I read the entire post.
One other thing, there is lots of fungi in SA that may have inspired this kind of art, or certain vines.

edit on 9-8-2013 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2013 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There's some serious master craftsmanship going on there. Those guys definitely knew what they were doing. I'd be surprised if anyone today is as talented without their modern tools.

Awesome Find!

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Is that Egyptian on top of the gods head?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

An interesting find from Guatamala, the find is in connection to excavations at the Holmul pyramid site, it is thought to possibly relate to a high status individual who's tomb has been found and awaits opening.

Thanks very much Kantzveldt on a very wonderful thread. It's findings like this that just make me believe and wonder what other hidden histories of our world are still hidden? Not just in S.A. but all over the globe. I think there is much more to our human history that we have yet to find or have yet to understand. Anyway!! Great Job!! S+F
edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: sentence structure

edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Nice find and thanks for sharing. Your thread makes ATS a fun place to browse.

Other posters were commenting on how other cultures have a storm god too. I Just wanted to add another one to that list with regard to this quote in the OP.

"A cartouche on their headdresses identifies each of them by name. The central figure's name is the only readable one: Och Chan Yopaat, meaning "the storm god enters the sky."

The ancient Basque storm god of Spain/France is called Sugaar. He is normally imagined as a dragon or a serpent. His given name associates him with fire or flame, hence the power of the lightning bolt. A fire snake in the sky is lightning.

edit on 9-8-2013 by lostinspace because: fixed quote

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

That's really good, need to do one though for the technicians in the side chambers who are cranking the dials up to 11 for lift off...

They've got the whole mission control thing going on

reply to post by lostinspace

Yes i was looking here at Sumerian (and Tibetan) myths and legends of a class of flying birds/demons/weapons that whilst the effects they discharged could only be understood in terms of extreme storm related phenomena, they weren't neccesarily 'storm Gods', but naturally became very closely associated with such.

Their prime function was as enforcers of Celestial Rule, they ruled the air and could gather intelligence, capture prisoners, and blast away as they saw fit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If one is going to ascend to the sky as a Storm God that's the sort of tradition you'd be drawing upon.

Thanks for the kind comments and interest here...

edit on 10-8-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

When I saw my first shuttle launch a few years ago I was struck (LITERALLY) in the chest by the BOOMING noise of the rocket engines. BOOM BOOM BOOM as each time the rocket reached past the speed of sound, knocking my fragile fleshy body back in a humbling way. Faster and faster the ship ascended into the Sky, I was awestruck, amazed, I even had a slight fear that felt almost primal.

Shortly thereafter being in Florida a Thunderstorm charged in with the towering mashed potato clouds dark and threatening. The air became charged as lightening began to crash around me and the roar of the thunder clap pealed through the Sky.

I thought back to the same sort of billowing clouds that rolled out propelling the shuttle upward toward the Heavens and the cacophony that impaled my body like the crash of thunder.

I couldn't help but think of how man had harnessed some immense power of the gods...
edit on 10-8-2013 by abeverage because: artistic reasons beyond my current comprehension...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

It is likely a depiction of the crowning of a new ruler at the site around the year 590

Aw, I was hoping it'll be thousands of years old. It's always interesting when they make discoveries that goes back thousands of years ago. I want them to find something older than Sumer in Mesopotamia (10,000 BC) that would be cool

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Aw, I was hoping it'll be thousands of years old. It's always interesting when they make discoveries that goes back thousands of years ago. I want them to find something older than Sumer in Mesopotamia (10,000 BC) that would be cool

That would be the Natufian culture of which the Tell Abu Hureyra site is a part of

Link to a short description of that site

Abu Hureyra is the name of the ruins of an ancient settlement, located on the south side of the Euphrates valley of northern Syria, and on an abandoned channel of that famous river. Nearly continuously occupied from ~13,000 to 6,000 years ago, before, during and after the introduction of agriculture in the region, Abu Hureyra is remarkable for its excellent faunal and floral preservation, providing crucial evidence for the economic shifts in diet and food production

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join