It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instrumental Surf Music - Origins to the Present Day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've been meaning to do this for a while and recently got a friendly nudge to do it -thanks VC

I'm hoping this thread can be a repository for instrumental "Surf" music, a genre that exploded across the USA in the early sixties and still thrives in small pockets around the world to this day. The styles cover an incredible array from "Trad" (traditional classic sounding surf) to modern, which each band has its own unique sound, the only caveat being NO VOCALS.

I know that for the vast majority of music fans, The Beach Boys were the kings of surf music. Their vocal harmonies and beach themed lyrics defined the Southern California scene for the whole world. However, to purists (surf snobs like me lol) they were pop artists and not a "surf" band.

I'm going to start the thread with the two songs that share the distinction of being the first "true" surf song (depending on who you ask). The debate as far as I know has never been settled and it really doesn't matter, the songs are awesome and were the catalyst for a whole new sound.

Please everyone, add more tunes! Old, new, or anywhere in between. I'd dig discovering something I haven't heard before

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Although not a surf band by this definition, the Beach Boys did crank out a few solid instro surf tunes so I'm going to add a couple here because they had the sound. Too bad they relied on those amazing vocal harmonies so much, they could have been great!

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
When the Beatles landed on these shores, they killed off surf music. Luckily, a guy named John Blair decided to bring it back in 1980 and it's still thriving.
Here they are, the the band that started the first surf "revival"-

live at the Whiskey 1981

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Come on, man, you can't have a surfing instrumental thread without The Ventures!

And, don't forget The Surfrajettes!

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Probably my favorite contemporary "Trad" surf band, from East Java of all places.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Hey man, the thread's just gettin' started!

The Ventures of course have a place in surf history - thanks for the contribution!

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I met these guys in 1997 when my band got a gig opening for them at a Surfrider Foundation fundraising event. Never heard of them but they were the friendliest and coolest people I had met in a long time! They enthusiastically complimented us on our set and we appreciated their sincerity. Then, they took the stage and proceeded to melt every face in the house! Jaws were hitting the floor everywhere, it was biblical - we're still good friends to this day.

Here's three from their first release

It was a while later when I found out that guitarist Dave and drummer Dusty were original members of Jon and the Nightriders.

edit on 9 20 2021 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I love the surf genre! When I break out my old Fender Strat, I always play along with some classic surf.

Agent Orange did a cool rendition of Pipeline:

Here's some more favorites:

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Thanks for pitching in! I'm a big Agent Orange fan from back in my punk days - AO frontman Mike Palm has a trad surf side project that still plays out once in a while, check 'em out!

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Los Straitjackets

m.youtube.com...

Only way its letting me link

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Opus 1 Back seat 38 Dodge.. this one is so cool.. not instrumental though.. I got a collection of surf music and 60s 70s grooves..

Sorry can't embed video on tablet..

youtu.be...
edit on 20-9-2021 by wlee48868 because: Edit

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Cool! Some badass surf from across the pond:

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Being a musician myself, I've played some of those surf classics in some of the bands I've been in. Here's a surf song I wrote and recorded back around 1993. It wasn't with a band, just me playing all the parts:

Kenny Harrelson - "Surfin' Johnny"

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

That's great!

While I'm here, I'll post a couple more.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The Astronauts - Firewater

The Rhythm Rockers - Moondawg

Safaris - Lonely Surf Guitar

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Some more 1st wave pioneers

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Formed in 1979 in still going stronger than ever, the Insects legitimately hold the title of the world's longest active modern surf band

If you dig 'em, you can find a TON of content on YT both live and studio

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Huntsville, Alabama's legendary prog-surf masters, Daikaiju

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   

edit on 9-21-2021 by burntdogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
1983-ish

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join