It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens...Sumerian Flying Wing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It may be interesting to look at a few beads from Sumeria, which are representing the Anzu or mdugud-bird. Some are of Lapis Lazuli, the colour of the sky the natural habitat of the Anzu, others of Agate.

I shall intersperse these with quotes regarding the flood-storm weapon of Sumeria, as the Anzu was of such nature, and served Enlil, Lord of the Air and Heavens.

Seemingly the Anzu just a bird of mythology, however the texts and more abstract forms it can be represented in suggest otherwise;

(The building of Ninĝirsu's temple, ETCSL t.2.1.7)
101-109 "In the dream there was someone who was as enormous as the heavens, who was as enormous as the earth. His head was like that of a god, his wings were like those of the Anzud bird, his lower body was like a flood storm. Lions were lying at his right and his left. He spoke to me about building his house, but I could not understand what he exactly meant, then daylight rose for me on the horizon."

Anzud describes himself in this way: "I am the prince who decides the destiny of rolling rivers. I keep on the straight and narrow path the righteous who follow Enlil's counsel."

No-resisting-this-storm, a falcon against the foreign lands whose wing bears the deluge of battle'

In his heart he beamed at his lion-headed weapon, as it flew up like a bird, trampling the mountains for him. It raised itself on its wings to take away prisoner the disobedient, it spun around the horizon of heaven to find out what was happening

The Sharur, that which brings forth light like the day. The perfect weapon which consumes the rebellious land like fire. Obliterator-of-the-mountains, the maintainer of the people in heaven and earth. The tireless one who never sleeps. No-resisting-this-storm, a falcon against the foreign lands whose wing bears the deluge of battle. The right arm of Lagash whose awesome radiance covers the Land."

In his heart he beamed at his lion-headed weapon, as it flew up like a bird, trampling the mountains for him. It raised itself on its wings to take away prisoner the disobedient, it spun around the horizon of heaven to find out what was happening. Someone from afar came to meet it, brought news for the tireless one, the one who never rests, whose wings bear the deluge, the Šar-ur. What did it gather there …… for Lord Ninurta? It reported the deliberations of the mountains, it explained their intentions to Lord Ninurta, it outlined (?) what people were saying about the Asag

He Šar-ur made the storm-wind rise to heaven, scattering the people; like …… it tore. Its spittle alone destroyed the townspeople. The destructive mace set fire to the mountains, the murderous weapon smashed skulls with its painful teeth, the club which tears out entrails piled up noses.

The tree grew big, its trunk bore no foliage,In its roots the snake who knows no charm set up its nest,In its crown the Imdugud-bird placed its young,In its midst the maid Lilith built her house --The always laughing, always rejoicing maid

,The maid Inanna -- how she weeps!

www.vajragallery.com...

Bead Collectors

There are also some 'fly-shaped' pendants from Akkadian Tell Brak i can throw in for good measure;

www.ethesis.net...

I've looked at these things before, but the beads were a nice find, with regards to the Sumerians i'd previously considered the Sarur here;

Sumerian Flood Storm Weapon

But also the tradition extended beyond Sumeria, Tibet in particular having the Khyung, the flying eagle/man/demon.

Stargates of Tibet

Cosmic Super weapon
edit on 5-8-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
nice stuff

but arent some of those arrow heades?

that winged ornament could be off of anything... cane, chair, chest etcetc
ny own opinion is that it was not designed to fly...

maybe maybenot

peace

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

No i don't think any arrow heads there. The Lapis Lazuli artifacts have the obvious association with the sky, and all seen considered to relate to the Anzu bird, which in it's aspects as a storm bird or Sar-Ur got up to some amazing exploits.

It was considered to have the essential nature of 'Demon', as is the Tibetan Khyung.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Is it not common knowledge that most of these if not all are based on bugs and things like that?

I'm sure I saw an ancient aliens debunked program about 2 years ago talking about these things.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

picture #1 = cool poncho

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Possibly the two Akkadian examples toward the end of the thread might get consigned to bee or bug status, but i wouldn't recommend trying that with the Anzu bird...

Given it's flood storm nature, it was understood as being able to fly like a falcon or eagle, fiercely attack like a lion, to the extent of descriptions which correspond to a nuclear strike, could gather intelligence and report back, so that would have to be an almighty bug

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
When I see these

Why do I think of these...

Just my Apophenia acting up on me again.
edit on 5-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm looking at them as fascinating ancient artefacts and they are good to look at .. and the bird .. anything to do with 'the phoenix' ?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ta1ntedJustice

The Phoenix, no not really, it is an instrument of Cosmic Law Enforcement.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The OP seems to be combining the Anzu bird with the Sharur. Here:

The Sharur, that which brings forth light like the day. The perfect weapon which consumes the rebellious land like fire. Obliterator-of-the-mountains, the maintainer of the people in heaven and earth. The tireless one who never sleeps. No-resisting-this-storm, a falcon against the foreign lands whose wing bears the deluge of battle. The right arm of Lagash whose awesome radiance covers the Land."

The Sharur was the mace of Ninurta/Ningursu. A talking mace, mind you, that could fly and destroy whatever Ninurta wanted destroyed. You can see it in various carvings. Typically, pics of Ninurta are posted here with someone asking if that's a wristwatch he's wearing. It's a bracelet. He's holding the mace.

I don't see anything mysterious here, but I still liked the opening post and the thread. S&F.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Yes there are correlations with the Flood-Storm weapon, the Sarur, and the Anzu bird,

(The building of Ninĝirsu's temple, ETCSL t.2.1.7)
101-109 "In the dream there was someone who was as enormous as the heavens, who was as enormous as the earth. His head was like that of a god, his wings were like those of the Anzud bird, his lower body was like a flood storm. Lions were lying at his right and his left. He spoke to me about building his house, but I could not understand what he exactly meant, then daylight rose for me on the horizon."

The Anzu had the function of Cosmic enforcer.

One of many Sumerian Storm demons, the Imdugud are at the same time protective and dangerous. They are hung outside of doors and yet are the bringers of storms.

F.A.M. Wiggermann argues that Anzu is not a symbol of Ninurta. Rather, Anzu "represents another, more general power, under whose supervision they all operate. This higher power can only be Enlil, which is exactly what the Lugalbanda Epic and the Anzu myth tell us. Thus the posture of the lion-headed eagle, wings stretched out above the symbolic animals of other gods, becomes understandable: it is neither that of attack, nor that of defense, but that of the master of the animals."

the Anzud takes on the character of an early champion. In the next period the apotropaic power of the Anzud is attested not only by it’s frequent appearance on Sumerian temples but in Early Dynastic amuletswhich suggests that from early on, the creature was imagined as a benefactor and champion against hostile forces

Anzu

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Another beautiful thread, Kantzveldt!
I love lapis lazuli...
Can't contest anything you've said...nor corroborate - but, I love the way you so consistently put it together.
Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Is it not common knowledge that most of these if not all are based on bugs and things like that?

I'm sure I saw an ancient aliens debunked program about 2 years ago talking about these things.

I suppose the question then would be this: Why did they see or at least image these bugs as god-type figures who wielded weapons and had power over the rivers and land etc etc.

Sure they look buggish, but it's not as though UFO lore is totally void of "buggish" looking races.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveFurther

Yes the Anzu certainly aren't bugs. What needs to be questioned is the descriptions of a Flood-Storm strike;

An enormous hurricane, irresistible, went before the hero, stirred up the dust, caused the dust to settle, levelled high and low, filled the holes. It caused a rain of coals and flaming fires; the fire consumed men. It overturned tall trees by their trunks, reducing the forests to heaps,

Earth put her hands on her heart and cried harrowingly; the Tigris was muddied, disturbed, cloudy, stirred up. He hurried to battle on the boat Ma-kar-nunta-ea; the people there did not know where to turn, they bumped into (?) the walls. The birds there tried to lift their heads to fly away, but their wings trailed on the ground.

The storm flooded out the fish there in the subterranean waters, their mouths snapped at the air. It reduced the animals of the open country to firewood, roasting them like locusts. It was a deluge rising and disastrously ruining the mountains.

A perfect description of an awesome strike there from Sumeria. The flying form of the weapon is the oldest, gradually displaced to a mace type weapon hand held by Storm God type Hero in human form.

The weapon was anthropomorphised into the Lion-Eagle at an early period, but when represented simply as a flying wing geometric form has the most intriguing correlations to our present, in which once more the Anzu soar across the skies of the Near East, dispensing death from on high.

reply to post by WanDash

Thanks, and i love Lapsi Lazuli also, it goes well with gold, which i also like, it's the sun in the clear blue sky.

The Sar-ur and the Anzu do in my opinion provide the best evidence in terms of textual descriptions, artifacts, and general context of an agency of cosmic enforcement for death dealing flying phenomena from the distant past, in conjunction with the Khyung tradition, the Ancient Alien series covered neither.

Of course it's all open to interpretation, but there we are.

reply to post by abeverage

Perhaps we should write some epic literature regarding the Stealth bomber versus the Taliban...
edit on 6-8-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Great stuff!

You throw things out on ATS that I havn't seen before....

S+F

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Very interesting I have not seen a lot of these before.

Based on the information we have it is difficult to say what the texts actually mean, or if they are even translated correctly or have been altered over time, but I personally believe there is something to all of this. There is just way too much evidence that adds up to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
reply to post by thePharaoh

No i don't think any arrow heads there. The Lapis Lazuli artifacts have the obvious association with the sky, and all seen considered to relate to the Anzu bird, which in it's aspects as a storm bird or Sar-Ur got up to some amazing exploits.

It was considered to have the essential nature of 'Demon', as is the Tibetan Khyung.

Fascinating thread and subject matter, thanks for putting this together so well.

Are there any North/South American similarities with Lapis Lazuli and the Anzu bird?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Very fascinating information.

While some of these motifs are based on birds, some other clearly look like airplanes.

We need to believe in ancients's experiences of advanced technologies. The wonderful buildings like pyramids, large temples with thousands of perfectly shaped columns of stone, beautiful and complex jewellery, and so many other artifacts left by ancient people of Egypt and Babylon could not have been made otherwise.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

The tradition that comes to mind is that of the Thunderbird of North America...

en.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

reply to post by roncoallstar

I think the translations are fine and very difficult to explain. When one thinks about it if people of that era had seen flying craft flying around causing massive explosion the only terms of reference they could equate it with would be aspects of storm, thunder, lightning causing fire, extremities of air disturbance, however those phenomena don't occur together in such extreme nature.

A meteorite explosion might be another limited explanation, except they don't generally fly around gathering intelligence and they certainly don't round up prisoners

reply to post by GargIndia

Yes worth keeping in mind that whatever they saw their only frame of referance was from the natural world, thus something that flew like an eagle but struck with the ferocity of a lion becomes a Eagle-Lion, necessitating deeper enquiry because such creatures don't exist.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I find the translations interesting.

Consider this sentence (a valid sentence written in 2013):

The Typhoon fired Storm Shadow, Meteor, and Brimstone missile at its' target.

Typhoon is a European fighter jet. Storm Shadow and the others are valid modern day missiles.

Consider 7000 years from now, if our language was lost and had to be translated -- how would they interpret that sentence?
edit on 6-8-2013 by elitelogic because: correction

edit on 6-8-2013 by elitelogic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join