It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Maya Frieze Found in Guatemala

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
An interesting find from Guatamala, the find is in connection to excavations at the Holmul pyramid site, it is thought to possibly relate to a high status individual who's tomb has been found and awaits opening.

"Lo and behold, we have this wonderful frieze full of characters," Estrada-Belli said. "One of them might be the guy who's buried in this building. We just don't know."

The archaeologists haven't yet gotten a chance to see what's inside the building they found inside the larger pyramid. And due to the onset of the rainy season in Guatemala

The frieze depicts three human figures wearing elaborate bird headdresses and jade jewelry. They are seated cross-legged over the head of a Maya mountain spirit. A cartouche on their headdresses identifies each of them by name. The central figure's name is the only readable one: Och Chan Yopaat, meaning "the storm god enters the sky."

Storm God enters the sky Frieze

Guatemalan antiquity officials announced the discovery of the stucco frieze, some 30 feet long and 6 feet tall, unearthed on the inside of a pyramid at the Maya city site of Holmul.

"It is one of the most fabulous things I have ever seen," says archaeologist Francisco Estrada-Belli of the Holmul Archaeological Project. "The preservation is wonderful because it was very carefully packed with dirt before they started building over it."

The frieze was on one side of a staircase tomb that was inside a pyramid built by the later rulers of the site. Painted red, with details in blue, yellow and green, it depicts three men wearing bird headdresses and jade jewels seated cross-legged over the head of a mountain spirit. It is likely a depiction of the crowning of a new ruler at the site around the year 590, according to Estrada-Belli,

Maya Sculpture Unearthed from buried Pyramid

The Holmul Site

Mysterious Maya Carvings hint at Superpower struggle

edit on 8-8-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Great post S& tried to flag but the computer just works with no flag grrrer....I have flown all over central and south America and to me with the thick jungle it is amazing anyone could move much less build!!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

When it said giant, it meant it.

I just hope the "sky god" part doesn't devolve this thread into an alien discussion.

Nice find.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Beautiful images, thank you very much for posting. S&F

I wish I could see that in real life!

I found how they found it interesting:

The discovery was actually made by starting from a trench excavated by would-be looters, he says, who dug in the wrong direction. "We made a fortunate turn," he says. "All my wishes were fulfilled."

Thankfully those knuckleheads did not find this. I'm not a big fan of looters.

There is so much to still be discovered all over those regions. It will be fun to see what else gets unearthed!

Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Well it's funny i presented the thread on the Sumerian Storm God Anzu bird in the Aliens and Ufos forum, and someone was asking me there if i could think of South American equivalent, so here we go meet Chan Yopaat

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The find came as archaeologist Francisco Estrada-Belli's team excavated in a tunnel left open by looters.

If there is one thing I hate, it is the mention of looters. What did they find? And who's in possession of it now?

EDIT - So they dug in the wrong direction and never found anything?

An inscription below the figures tells us that this edifice was commissioned by the ruler of Naranjo, a powerful kingdom to the south of Holmul. In the dedication, king "Ajwosaj Chan K'inich" claims to have restored the local ruling line and patron deities.

Link

Aj Wosal Chan K'inich acceded to rulership at the age of twelve or under and ruled for an impressive sixty-nine years or more.

Link

If you search "Aj wosaj Chan K'inich" and not "Ajwosaj Chan K'inich" you will find more information about this sub-ruler.

This was also found in the tomb,

The number of vessels in the tomb as well as their iconography bore clear references to the nine lords of the underworld as well as to the aged sun god of the underworld. There were two sets of nine polychrome-painted bowls decorated with the water lily motif, each made by a different artist. There were also nine red-painted plates and one spouted tripod plate decorated with the image of the god of the underworld emerging from a shell.

Quite interesting...

Thanks Kantzveldt!
edit on 8-8-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Well it's funny i presented the thread on the Sumerian Storm God Anzu bird in the Aliens and Ufos forum, and someone was asking me there if i could think of South American equivalent, so here we go meet Chan Yopaat

Thanks for pointing out that all avenues of discovery are legitimate and should not be censored by narrow mindedness.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Hi Kantzveldt,
I must say one time for all: any of your threads is fantastic and deserve the top page!
S&f.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Storm god?

I really want to find that Lightning wielding hammer before they do!

P.S. I love that there is a Trinity...
edit on 8-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I'll be darn if it aint the Guatemalan Buddha.

Great pictures TY.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ERagerz

You're welcome, this will re-ignite disputes regarding Mayan Deities launching into the skies.

reply to post by Arken

Tahnk you kindly Arken, this find is certainly interesting.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
reply to post by ERagerz

You're welcome, this will re-ignite disputes regarding Mayan Deities launching into the skies.

reply to post by Arken

Tahnk you kindly Arken, this find is certainly interesting.

Brill Thread again 'Kantzveldt'.

Can clearly see what looks like 'Engines' underneath the 'Sky God'.

I can see them anyway.... looks very similar to our Rocket Engines!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

This picture really pops for me. It looks like it's sitting on sort of twin rocket propulsion system. Thanks for sharing.

edit on 8-8-2013 by Diligence because: Cleaning up...

edit on 8-8-2013 by Diligence because: Yeah...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Can clearly see what looks like 'Engines' underneath the 'Sky God'.

An engine clearly capable of significant, ahem, thrust.

Yes, I have a mind like a sewer. But then, so did the ancients.

edit on 8/8/13 by Astyanax because: of exiguous italics.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful. Quite a remarkable find.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Very Very interesting find.

Links of larger images from the OP's source links.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We need more members like Kantzveldt, your threads are wicked, this is what ATS is all about

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Nice find Kantzveldt, been looking @ the images can see there are containers in the hands of the 2 on the sides. But the way the image shows the being on the left somewhat imprinted why the one on the right seems extruded 1 was not sure if those are related to entering and exiting some visit? Also to the left & right of the Storm GOD it appears lol
yes pareidolia that there is a propeller ? and that the Storm GOD is sitting on a somewhat symmetric device... I do like seeing and learning on the finds of the Ancients its as if something is near being found transmitted.

And when finds like this come out and 1 can observe the imagery it almost can take you to the sculptures minds-eyes that's how I noticed the propeller like thing that sits outside the device the Storm GOD is riding. This is my personal subjective observation I am not Licensed on EA*RTH with the expertise to accurately translate but there are some interesting parts to the frieze like the line that seems to out line the location of the side placed shown being(s) placing the Storm GOD somewhat Outside their perspective. Maybe the Storm GOD brings rain for crops speculation of course but very cool share non the less in the OP.

Keep up the great work
Kantzveldt, you make some very informative & interesting OPs

NAMASTE*******
edit on 8/8/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
At last.

So this is where my fear of clowns came from ?!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Most human cultures have gods/spirit for the same things - because all of them faced the essentially the same environment, except for a few in extreme conditions.

Good news looks like we'll have another pyramid burial

Thank Kantzveldt
edit on 8/8/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join